Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:Dude. Shadow Magic is amazing.
Zaxxon said stuff. You should listen.

Or read.

Whatever, you should play the damned game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

Another Q&A with Lennart:
http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2013/02/2 ... nnart-sas/" target="_blank
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I thought this was nice bit of information about how domains work in AoW3. I like it better than the previous system.
Lennart Sas wrote:Domains work differently than before, they are radiated by towns and castles and capture resources within this range. I think I made another post about this somewhere. Casting outside of your territory is now done within hero scouting range, which results in no extra dotted lines that can give a hero’s position away.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

More from Lennart:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/ageo ... rview.html" target="_blank
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

That last interview had some better information. I particularly liked this part:
Lennart Sas: The community has created fantastic levels and mods over the last ten years, and has helped keep the series alive. Good tools have been on our radar since we started working on the project. For Age of Wonders III and its expansions, we plan on rolling out level and campaign editors to the community, either with the game or soon afterwards. We're looking into ways of opening up other areas of the game to modding as well, though we haven't made any final decisions on how far that will go.
It's great to see you can also create user campaigns with the editor instead of just single scenarios. With the move to 3D I wasn't sure they'd continue to support that. HoMM5 dropped campaign support in their editor, for example.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an aside, GOG.com has the entire Age of Wonders series on sale at 50% off today.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

New AoW3 alpha HD gameplay video from the Game Developers Conference. Includes combat and it looks fantastic.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

ColdSteel wrote:New AoW3 alpha HD gameplay video from the Game Developers Conference. Includes combat and it looks fantastic.
:shock:

That looks amazing! Can't wait. I absolutely loved the original AOW and AOW: Shadow Magic. I lost so many hours to those... I'm ready to surrender more!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In. What's that? I was already in? Well...

In.
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

New interview with some new details:
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/03/age-of ... enart-sas/" target="_blank
belouski

Post by belouski »

To be released Q1 2014
http://www.ageofwonders.com/category/news/" target="_blank
Jag

Post by Jag »

belouski wrote:To be released Q1 2014
http://www.ageofwonders.com/category/news/" target="_blank
tgb

Post by tgb »

That's fine. There's plenty to play and I'd rather they take their time and get it right.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

There's an awesome new dev blog (and a very detailed one) up about their random map generation procedures.

I love the layered procedural approach they're taking. If it works as well as it sounds like it might, it's going to give this game some extremely long legs.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

By the way, if you order this from GOG they'll give you a free classic game (you can choose between about five or so). The offered free games are really good but I already have them all except for one.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:By the way, if you order this from GOG they'll give you a free classic game (you can choose between about five or so). The offered free games are really good but I already have them all except for one.
Yeah, kind of torn whether to order from GOG or Steam. Don't care about the free game. Have a ton of stuff from GOG.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I went with Steam just because I had like $7 in my Steam wallet from selling cards.
abr

Post by abr »

Well, it's still nearly a month away. I'll wait to see if it shows up at GMG; they nearly always offer 20% off coupons.
tgb

Post by tgb »

abr wrote:Well, it's still nearly a month away. I'll wait to see if it shows up at GMG; they nearly always offer 20% off coupons.
+1.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Or in the case of Thief, 30%.
I have but one advocate.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

abr wrote:Well, it's still nearly a month away. I'll wait to see if it shows up at GMG; they nearly always offer 20% off coupons.
Check out Gamefly.com (the digital store, not the rental site, it used to be Direct2Drive). They have very good deals and are constantly posting coupons. Also, AFAIK, they don't use the same sort of irritated download software that Greenmangaming sometimes uses.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/pc

EDIT: Also, I recently found out that they let you cancel preorders with very little hassle. I had to cancel my South Park: The Stick of Truth because I found out it includes some content I would rather not see and they returned my money within 24 hours of my request.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

For those on the fence, a really nice gameplay video of the new Archdruid class and the Random Map generator.
abr

Post by abr »

baelthazar wrote:
Check out Gamefly.com (the digital store, not the rental site, it used to be Direct2Drive). They have very good deals and are constantly posting coupons. Also, AFAIK, they don't use the same sort of irritated download software that Greenmangaming sometimes uses.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/pc

EDIT: Also, I recently found out that they let you cancel preorders with very little hassle. I had to cancel my South Park: The Stick of Truth because I found out it includes some content I would rather not see and they returned my money within 24 hours of my request.
Thanks baelthazar, Gamefly is one of the stores I'm monitoring, but AoW3 hasn't shown up there yet. If GMG states in the product description that the DRM used is Steamworks, you can safely assume that you will be able to download through Steam.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Quarter to Three article with lots of screenshots:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/0 ... nders-iii/
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

dbemont wrote:Quarter to Three article with lots of screenshots:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/0 ... nders-iii/
Tom Chick is usually brutal to games (even some that most everyone else love), but he seems positively glowing here. That seems to be a very good sign (particularly because he praises the AI)!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:In. What's that? I was already in? Well...

In.
QFT.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I must have missed him praising the AI, but he certainly praised the UI. He's apparently a guy who likes detailed tooltips.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zurai wrote:I must have missed him praising the AI, but he certainly praised the UI. He's apparently a guy who likes detailed tooltips.
Well, this is as close as Tom gets to praising the AI, anyway:
I don’t know if the AI is smart for hiding behind those barriers or if I’m dumb for trying to shoot at its units from the other side. Whatever the case, here’s me losing a battle that I totally should have won.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, I was certainly not so happy to see in a post over on the official forums that it's no longer possible to enchant units in AoW3 except on the battlefield. Buffs have to be recast each and every battle. No out-of-combat unit spells with mana upkeep costs anymore, apparently. In combat you now have to choose either to buff your units or cast direct damage spells. Big change. There goes a boatload of my normal strategies. I particularly hate not having speed buffs on the overland map for my slower units in an army.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:I particularly hate not having speed buffs on the overland map for my slower units in an army.
Ugh, yeah.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

There's a few odd changes like that. Another one is that you get absolutely no indication of how fair a deal you're making with an AI. There's no "price" indicators and no "<AI> would be crazy to turn this down!" type notices, either.

Also, there weren't going to be Dire Penguins until fans asked after them. How can you have a successor to the AoW series without Dire Penguins?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I don't want to wait two more weeks to play this. I want it now!
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Zurai wrote: Also, there weren't going to be Dire Penguins until fans asked after them. How can you have a successor to the AoW series without Dire Penguins?
Seriously. That would have been Age of Meh.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Wow! One of the beta testers said today that the game doesn't support 1920x1200 resolution because it's so uncommon and not many games support it. I beg to differ. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and I have never played a modern game that didn't support it. This would be the first. I find this all very hard to believe. If it's true, I'm very disappointed in Triumph.

EDIT: I found this post on the official forums by Lennart Sas which seems to indicate this isn't likely true:
Lennart Sas wrote:Depends on the size of the monitor. After a certain resolution the interface (HUD) stops scaling up (as it reaches the source assets max size) and then will just reveal more map / more list box entries, etc. I think 27″ 2560×1440 will be super for AoWIII. Most of the team uses 24″ running at 1920*1200
So most of the AoW3 team has 24 inch monitors running at 1920*1200 (exactly what I have). I find hard to believe that resolution wouldn't be supported if that's the case.
tgb

Post by tgb »

If you're on the fence or carrying a huge backlog, don't watch this if you don't want to feel dirty and ashamed on the 31st.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Clean up aisle 3!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Stop. it.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I was in no real hurry to preorder but I finally did get the deluxe version on GOG today. The GOG sale on Startopia expires later today so I just went ahead and got them both. No way I was not getting that soundtrack so getting the deluxe version was a no-brainer for me. The XL scenario it comes with doesn't hurt. And there's another scenario you get for preordering so I figured why not just do it. It's not like I wasn't going to get it on day one anyway. This is the first game I've preordered at full price in forever. Can't wait.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:If you're on the fence or carrying a huge backlog, don't watch this if you don't want to feel dirty and ashamed on the 31st.
One HEXY beast!

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I canNOT believe this and Warlock 2 are coming out less than 2 weeks apart. Come on, summer teaching schedule...
I have but one advocate.