Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:51 am If this doesn’t sum up the conservative faux-patriotic grift machine, I don’t know what does.

Utah company “Lions Not Sheep” (oh, the irony) tore off the “Made in China” tags and replaced them with “Made in the US” so the MAGA morons would buy them. 😂
Someone photoshop the Chinese flag in there!

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defender of democracy Meijer is happy to endorse the Trumpist who just beat him in the general.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:40 pmDefender of democracy Meijer is happy to endorse the Trumpist who just beat him in the general.
In the end he is still one of the plutocrats and a potential oligarch if he plays along.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 am
El Guapo wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:40 pmDefender of democracy Meijer is happy to endorse the Trumpist who just beat him in the general.
In the end he is still one of the plutocrats and a potential oligarch if he plays along.
Why not? No one else is backing him. Might as well try to mitigate some of those death threats before riding off into the sunset.

Dems seem to love to drive people to the other side.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:46 am That is so yesterday.
Not the first person to post that info after I did, to boot!
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 am Dems seem to love to drive people to the other side.
Truth. Normally, I'd say that is at least in part because they are so "big tent" but actions like the preceding aren't big tent. They're malicious tactics... Plays usually run by their counter parts.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 am
Why not? No one else is backing him. Might as well try to mitigate some of those death threats before riding off into the sunset.

Do you really think he wouldn't be endorsing Gibbs but for what the DCCC did?
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

First it was Trump.
Now it's Biden.
This dude really hates America but has zero issues coming over to play his songs, spout his bullshit and take them American dollars.
F-ing hypocrite.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/pi ... 25615.html

Link to the interview:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:01 pm First it was Trump.
Now it's Biden.
This dude really hates America but has zero issues coming over to play his songs, spout his bullshit and take them American dollars.
F-ing hypocrite.

Your logic doesn't follow. I'm assuming Trump and Biden haven't been at his concerts. You can hate how America acts and still think the people are ok.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:06 pm
Now it's Biden.
F-ing hypocrite.

Your logic doesn't follow. I'm assuming Trump and Biden haven't been at his concerts. You can hate how America acts and still think the people are ok.
What is America if not the people?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pmWhat is America if not the people?
We haven't had a President with average approval above break even since Clinton, Congress polls in the teens, SCOTUS now polls in the mid-20s but sure go ahead and try to argue that the American government reflects the average American.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:19 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pmWhat is America if not the people?
We haven't had a President with average approval above break even since Clinton, Congress polls in the teens, SCOTUS now polls in the mid-20s but sure go ahead and try to argue that the American government reflects the average American.
Hmmmm...how do they get the job?
Political fairies?
Last edited by stimpy on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, if the takeaway is that the American people are monolithic [in anything other than COVID precation-caring], try again.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So you guys agree and are okay with Biden being labeled a war criminal.
Interesting.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Roger Waters is a bit of a political idiot. He's one of the the types that assumes that anything that an enemy of America and the UK does must be ok, or at least not all that bad, because they are opposed to America and the UK. Not that everything that the U.S. and the UK does is amazing, but it is possible to be an enemy of America and to still be bad.

But whatever, he's just one schmuck among many.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:22 pm So you guys agree and are okay with Biden being labeled a war criminal.
Interesting.....
I'm not defending Roger Waters here. Notice how I didn't support any of his ideas. What I'm pushing back against is the dubious arguments that American politics in any form reflect "we the people". Even if it did - and again I believe it does not - it still doesn't mean he is a hypocrite to play a show for people who share or don't mind his views in some segment of the population.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If you think for a second that a guy like that doesnt view America and thus most Americans as gun toting, war loving, fat, lazy slobs that are just fine with the status quo, you're nuts.

He's so full of himself that he thinks the Government we have is the full and total fault of the people. Thus, those people suck and must not mind it or they would do something about it rather than let the ineptitude linger for so long.

He's making fun of us all as a country and people pay for the privilege of listening to him do it.
Maybe he's on to something......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pm If you think for a second that a guy like that doesnt view America and thus most Americans as gun toting, war loving, fat, lazy slobs that are just fine with the status quo, you're nuts.
A guy like that...so what I'm seeing is you're just projecting a hologram to yell at. I mean it might be right. It might not be. But you don't care. You seem to just want to yell about it. Cool. But maybe that's just a different hologram...
Last edited by malchior on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pmHe's making fun of us all as a country
Well-deserved!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The American government - 'America', as the rest of the world uses the term, is not even remotely representative of American citizens. But that doesn't mean that it isn't our fault. The fact that our government makes us look like war-loving, gun-toting, lynch-mobbing, beer-swilling, cross burners is because the vast majority of us (the actual shameful 'America') are sitting on the couch watching TV, eating a bag of chips, and saying, "Meh."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pm If you think for a second that a guy like that doesnt view America and thus most Americans as gun toting, war loving, fat, lazy slobs that are just fine with the status quo, you're nuts.

He's so full of himself that he thinks the Government we have is the full and total fault of the people. Thus, those people suck and must not mind it or they would do something about it rather than let the ineptitude linger for so long.

He's making fun of us all as a country and people pay for the privilege of listening to him do it.
Maybe he's on to something......
I mean, obviously he's disgusted with America - he's not exactly keeping that hidden. At the core of this is at what point does one decline to pay to see an artist whose views you disagree with? I have a fairly high tolerance for political idiocy among entertainers because in general I don't expect them to have special political insights nor do I expect them to refrain from having political views.

That said, Waters is actually one that I would decline to see, although in this case it's mainly for domestic harmony, as my wife is very pro-Israel and Roger Waters decidedly is not.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now it's Biden.
F-ing hypocrite.
He lives in the US (and benefiting from what the US has to offer or did the last I recall) and has long since been peace uber alles while the US remains in and funding nationalized armed conflict for his entire life. No hypocrite there. Stubbornly naive or locked in his own sounding board with a loud speaker is arguable. Hypocrite, is a hard sell to me and would be more founded in his living circumstance than his body politic.

His stance on Ukraine is pretty shocking to me but I don't find it to be hypocritical.

https://americansongwriter.com/roger-wa ... -gangster/
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:55 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 am

Do you really think he wouldn't be endorsing Gibbs but for what the DCCC did?
I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if he won the primary he wouldn't be endorsing Gibbs. If he lost without the DCCC intervention, who knows but they certainly didn't distance him from the GOP candidate.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Chris Pratt trolls ‘woke critics’ not happy with new show, ‘The Terminal List’

I'm only posting that story so that I can share this delightful reply:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Given the assumption that Pratt is a distant 4th, who is the unnamed (unless I missed it) 3rd White Chris?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Walken, definitely Walken. Though he could use a bit more cowbell.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

The four Chrises are Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pine and Chris Pratt.

Three are Marvel and one is DC.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ah, OK, thanks (though I should have been able to guess Hemsworth).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So, I'm reading today that Conservatives are starting a dating app called "The Right Stuff", to help " 'young conservatives' find people who see the world the right way."

I'm assuming the male participants are particularly pleased with this program, since no matter how badly the date is going, the woman can't abort it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Freyland wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am So, I'm reading today that Conservatives are starting a dating app called "The Right Stuff", to help " 'young conservatives' find people who see the world the right way."

I'm assuming the male participants are particularly pleased with this program, since no matter how badly the date is going, the woman can't abort it.
:shock:

:clap:

:dance:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RM2 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 pm This article says 45.2 million

https://www.reuters.com/business/media- ... 022-08-05/
Interesting what this one juror said about what the jury wanted the punitive damages to reflect:
Sharon said jurors decided to award punitive damages worth 10% of Jones' net worth per parent. Jones is worth between $130 million and $270 million, a plaintiffs' expert testified. The jurors' punitive damages verdict was $45.2 million.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Argentina remains an economic shit show.
Argentina’s annual inflation rate soared past 70 percent in July—the highest level in three decades—according to data released by the Argentine government last week, and it could hit 90 percent by the end of the year. The runaway inflation has left many in the country mired as they turn to barter and parallel currency markets amid dwindling Central Bank reserves, a bloated fiscal deficit, and a looming debt bomb.
Feels like Argentina has been this way my entire adult life. I can't imagine what it's like to live there.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:59 am Argentina remains an economic shit show.
Argentina’s annual inflation rate soared past 70 percent in July—the highest level in three decades—according to data released by the Argentine government last week, and it could hit 90 percent by the end of the year. The runaway inflation has left many in the country mired as they turn to barter and parallel currency markets amid dwindling Central Bank reserves, a bloated fiscal deficit, and a looming debt bomb.
Feels like Argentina has been this way my entire adult life. I can't imagine what it's like to live there.
I met a guy who recently moved from Buenos Aires. He said he loved it there but got a great job offer here. Moved his wife and two kids. He loves it here so far (2 months or so?). But cost of living is a bit of a surprise.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Random Fail is an anagram of Florida Man.

Also fyi

‘One Donald Trump’ is an anagram of ‘One Ton Lard Dump’.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:09 am Random Fail is an anagram of Florida Man.
So is Amoral Find.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good reporting here from the NY Times. People have been talking about this for awhile but they waited for enough evidence to pile up to properly label him "plausibly corrupt" (as they'd describe it). We'd properly call it openly and obviously corrupt. In any case, this is no surprise to anyone who watched him. He is definitely a liar. He lied about his residency and has been caught lying about ethical concerns. He has also batted away grifter accusations for some time but holding court in an Italian restaurant owned by two close friends convicted of money laundering!? It sounds made up in the truth is stranger than fiction sense. It's a shame that America seemingly has no way to deal with obvious, open corruption any longer. We'll talk about it but we sure as shit won't do anything about it.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Happy primary election day! If you live in Florida, New York, or Oklahoma.

I can't remember the last time I voted on a ballot with so few races. Usually there's a bunch of obscure judgeships for me to guess at. This time it was just state senator and Congressional rep. The state senate race is an easy choice: the solid incumbent or an Eric Adams ally.

The Congressional seat is between a bushel of experienced, similarly liberal candidates, and I'm pretty comfortable with whoever wins. Although I didn't vote for her, I'm kind of cheering for Liz Holtzman, who is 81 years old and last served in Congress when I was two. She has been out of the public eye for many years, but it so pissed off at the state of the country that she decided to get back in the ring. An absolute firecracker.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:41 am Although I didn't vote for her, I'm kind of cheering for Liz Holtzman, who is 81 years old and last served in Congress when I was two. She has been out of the public eye for many years, but it so pissed off at the state of the country that she decided to get back in the ring. An absolute firecracker.

Polls put her behind and it's possible her political career will end up beginning with a win over someone born during the Grover Cleveland presidency and ending with a loss to someone born during Ronald Reagan's.
stessier

Post by stessier »

How have I not been made aware of Gollum J. Trump on Twitter before now???

WE FILES JUICY MOTION BOUT THINGS TO PROTECTS THE PRECIOUS! ELFBI very unfairs to us! Very unfairs to makes us follows tricksy liddle’ lawses!