Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Zaxxon »

I found that one early this week and failed to share, to my eternal shame. It's great.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another gem...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Two Florida residents pleaded guilty on Thursday to conspiring to trafficking in stolen goods for selling a diary and other personal effects of President Joe Biden’s daughter Ashley Biden, the Justice Department said.

The criminal charges are the first to emerge from a federal investigation into how, prior to the 2020 presidential election, the journal reached the conservative video outlet Project Veritas. The group has said it paid for rights to publish the diary, but never did so because it couldn’t authenticate it. Contents from the diary later emerged on a more obscure conservative site.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Certainly never saw this one coming.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ain't it the Truth.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

And when Rightforge closes them down, the storyline will be that the liberals have deprived them of free speech, not that they didn't pay their bills. And stupid people will totally believe it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s a business closely associated with Trump. I’m surprised it didn’t declare bankruptcy 87 minutes after they opened their doors.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A Trump associated business isn't paying someone money it owes them???
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Florida Man declassified the web hosting contract.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:36 pm A Trump associated business isn't paying someone money it owes them???
They're also losing the trademark fight for the Truth Social (there are already several similar names out there).
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) refused Donald Trump's application for a trademark for "Truth Social," the name of his social media company earlier this month. A trademark lawyer in Washington surfaced the filing on Thursday.

"Ideally, you would pick a name where this wasn't going to happen," said Josh Gerben, a trademark lawyer in Washington, D.C., who tweeted the PTO filing.

But sometimes if a client really wants a name, the company will forge ahead, despite what the lawyers say.

DWAC is also delaying their quarterly earnings report and is still facing scrutiny for what may have been an illegal merger. It's all very typical Trump.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:29 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:36 pm A Trump associated business isn't paying someone money it owes them???
They're also losing the trademark fight for the Truth Social (there are already several similar names out there).
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) refused Donald Trump's application for a trademark for "Truth Social," the name of his social media company earlier this month. A trademark lawyer in Washington surfaced the filing on Thursday.

"Ideally, you would pick a name where this wasn't going to happen," said Josh Gerben, a trademark lawyer in Washington, D.C., who tweeted the PTO filing.

But sometimes if a client really wants a name, the company will forge ahead, despite what the lawyers say.

DWAC is also delaying their quarterly earnings report and is still facing scrutiny for what may have been an illegal merger. It's all very typical Trump.
It's also more 'witch hunt!" fuel. The libs don't want him to be able to spread the Truth (not ™!)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ted Cruz being wonderful as usual.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Glad I'm not alone. :oops:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I read where a guy running for governor was photographed wearing a Confederate uniform.
I didn't read why.
I just don't understand why there is so much criticism. I think the country is really getting too far into extreme-ism. Maybe the guy is a racist, maybe he just likes wearing a uniform. I would have no problem wearing a confederate uniform. I love military history. Especially American Civil war history. I don't have much if any racist feelings, altho some here may differ. I think it would be cool to wear any uniform from that time.To me I just think it's cool to wear a uniform from that period with no politics involved.
I also love Nazi uniforms. I don't love Nazis tho I just think the uniform is cool.
Of course at this time I'd be hard pressed to put on a uniform of any kind do to my body falling a part.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
Three years before retiring from the U.S. Army in 2017, Donald Trump-backed Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano posed in Confederate uniform for a faculty photo at the Army War College, according to a copy of the photo obtained by Reuters.

The previously unreported photo, released by the War College to Reuters after a request under the Freedom of Information Act, showed Mastriano in a 2013-14 portrait for the Department of Military Strategy, Plans, and Operations, where he worked.

Faculty at the time had been given the option of dressing as a historical figure, people familiar with the photo said. At least 15 of the 21 faculty in the photo opted to appear in regular attire. Although one man wears a trench coat and sunglasses and another carries an aviator's helmet, Mastriano is the only one wearing a Confederate uniform.
Mastriano's district, Pennsylvania's 33rd, includes Gettysburg.
He also has a PhD in history.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In itself, it doesn't bother me. It does heighten my senses to listen for dog whistles and overt bigotry and would re-enforce any negative perception that might come from perceived bigotry.
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:49 pm I read where a guy running for governor was photographed wearing a Confederate uniform.
I didn't read why.
I just don't understand why there is so much criticism. I think the country is really getting too far into extreme-ism. Maybe the guy is a racist, maybe he just likes wearing a uniform. I would have no problem wearing a confederate uniform. I love military history. Especially American Civil war history. I don't have much if any racist feelings, altho some here may differ. I think it would be cool to wear any uniform from that time.To me I just think it's cool to wear a uniform from that period with no politics involved.
I also love Nazi uniforms. I don't love Nazis tho I just think the uniform is cool.
Of course at this time I'd be hard pressed to put on a uniform of any kind do to my body falling a part.
FWIW, this particular guy is Doug Mastriano, the Christian-Nationalist GOP candidate in Pennsylvania.

There's no "maybe" about him being awful. He has (e.g.) refused to disavow an associate who called for the forced conversion of American Jews. He was at the capitol on Jan 6, and he denies the legitimacy of the Biden presidency. He has all but declared that, as governor, he would never allow the certification of Democratic electors in 2024.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, he does sound like a jerk. I still don't believe he should be criticized for wearing a confederate uniform. Just being an asshole.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:54 pm FWIW, this particular guy is Doug Mastriano, the Christian-Nationalist GOP candidate in Pennsylvania.
I believe the preferred name is now "Nat-Cs"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:24 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:54 pm FWIW, this particular guy is Doug Mastriano, the Christian-Nationalist GOP candidate in Pennsylvania.
I believe the preferred name is now "Nat-Cs"
zing! :D
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

dbt1949 wrote:Well, he does sound like a jerk. I still don't believe he should be criticized for wearing a confederate uniform. Just being an asshole.
On the surface, I agree with you. However context is important. So, in this case there's reason to believe he's not wearing it because he's simply a history buff and there's a big difference between a random guy doing it and someone running for governor.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just saw that after yesterday's flooding in Jackson Mississippi, they're telling residents (1) not to drink the tap water and (2) there is no estimate as to when water service can or will be restored.

The capital of a state (~180,000 people) has no access to drinking water. Absolutely unreal.

Maybe this is part of an infrastructure thread? I dunno. Definitely political.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I wonder how his forced conversion of American Jews would manifest. What, they would be required to put up Christmas decorations and hunt for Easter eggs?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mortara case
The Mortara case (Italian: caso Mortara) was an Italian cause célèbre that captured the attention of much of Europe and North America in the 1850s and 1860s. It concerned the Papal States' seizure of a six-year-old boy named Edgardo Mortara from his Jewish family in Bologna, on the basis of a former servant's testimony that she had administered an emergency baptism to the boy when he fell ill as an infant. Mortara grew up as a Catholic under the protection of Pope Pius IX, who refused his parents' desperate pleas for his return; eventually Mortara became a priest.
The Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition held the view that this action irrevocably made the child a Catholic and, because the Papal States forbade the raising of Christians by members of other faiths, it ordered that he be taken from his family and brought up by the Church. Police came to the Mortara home late on the 23rd of June, 1858, and took custody of Edgardo the following evening.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:19 am Just saw that after yesterday's flooding in Jackson Mississippi, they're telling residents (1) not to drink the tap water and (2) there is no estimate as to when water service can or will be restored.

The capital of a state (~180,000 people) has no access to drinking water. Absolutely unreal.

Maybe this is part of an infrastructure thread? I dunno. Definitely political.
My understanding is they have been under a boil water advisory for almost a month - this latest storm just took out the backup pumps they've been using so they no longer have water pressure sufficient for flushing toilets or using for fire fighting (and of course they can't drink it still).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:23 am
dbt1949 wrote:Well, he does sound like a jerk. I still don't believe he should be criticized for wearing a confederate uniform. Just being an asshole.
On the surface, I agree with you. However context is important. So, in this case there's reason to believe he's not wearing it because he's simply a history buff and there's a big difference between a random guy doing it and someone running for governor.
Also - it matters that they guy is from Pennsylvania, and originally from NJ. At least if you're from Virginia or Alabama or what have you, you can at least make some kind of argument like "it's part of our history, even if the cause was misguided, and I'm not for erasing history, etc." But if you're from PA / NJ...then you're wearing the uniform of the enemy of your state / country / ancestors / people. That's also why it feels a little more like a political statement than just "I'm a history buff".

On related (serious) question - what would everyone's reaction be if Mastriano was wearing a 1930s Wehrmacht uniform and defending it by saying that he's a history buff. I think we should be clear that the Confederacy in the scope of enemies of the U.S. and humanity are really just one step removed from Nazi Germany, insofar as they were fighting above all else for the right to maintain systematic enslavement of a people as a system.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am My understanding is they have been under a boil water advisory for almost a month - this latest storm just took out the backup pumps they've been using so they no longer have water pressure sufficient for flushing toilets or using for fire fighting (and of course they can't drink it still).
Yeah, apparently. In reading up more, there were problems back in February of 2021 and the boil water for the last month (it's also in the article). I'm just hearing about it now because of the emergency situation. I can't believe the month-long boil water notice didn't make it into my news rotation.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am
Also - it matters that they guy is from Pennsylvania, and originally from NJ. At least if you're from Virginia or Alabama or what have you, you can at least make some kind of argument like "it's part of our history, even if the cause was misguided, and I'm not for erasing history, etc." But if you're from PA / NJ...then you're wearing the uniform of the enemy of your state / country / ancestors / people. That's also why it feels a little more like a political statement than just "I'm a history buff".

On related (serious) question - what would everyone's reaction be if Mastriano was wearing a 1930s Wehrmacht uniform and defending it by saying that he's a history buff. I think we should be clear that the Confederacy in the scope of enemies of the U.S. and humanity are really just one step removed from Nazi Germany, insofar as they were fighting above all else for the right to maintain systematic enslavement of a people as a system.
I cannot believe I’m going to say anything remotely defending Mastriano, but context is everything. This doesn’t merit a freaking meltdown. Or a news report. It’s not like he’s wearing it around town on a random day or like he’s got a confederate flag on the back of his pickup truck. He’s posing in a historically accurate (I assume) confederate uniform for a faculty photo for the Army War College where the faculty were encouraged to dress like a historical figure. Is this so different from people dressing as confederate soldiers during Civil War reenactments? Maybe we should cancel all those people, too?

This gets a big :roll: from me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm

I cannot believe I’m going to say anything remotely defending Mastriano, but context is everything. This doesn’t merit a freaking meltdown. Or a news report. It’s not like he’s wearing it around town on a random day or like he’s got a confederate flag on the back of his pickup truck. He’s posing in a historically accurate (I assume) confederate uniform for a faculty photo for the Army War College where the faculty were encouraged to dress like a historical figure. Is this so different from people dressing as confederate soldiers during Civil War reenactments? Maybe we should cancel all those people, too?

Yes it is absolutely different than a Civil War reenactment. At the very least he shows incredibly poor judgement given the military's emphasis on removing racist imagery. He could have dressed as anyone, paid homage to any service, and he thought it was a good idea to show up in a Confederate uniform for a staff photo at the Army War College. Just blazingly stupid is the kindest interpretation.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Personally, I am able to see a huge difference between people actually tasked with recreating the Civil War in a historical reenactment and people that seem to actually want a new one.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm I cannot believe I’m going to say anything remotely defending Mastriano, but context is everything. This doesn’t merit a freaking meltdown. Or a news report. It’s not like he’s wearing it around town on a random day or like he’s got a confederate flag on the back of his pickup truck. He’s posing in a historically accurate (I assume) confederate uniform for a faculty photo for the Army War College where the faculty were encouraged to dress like a historical figure. Is this so different from people dressing as confederate soldiers during Civil War reenactments? Maybe we should cancel all those people, too?

FWIW, there is video of Mastriano attending rallies to defend Confederate monuments and praising dudes for waving a Confederate flag at one.

But uniformgate seems to have taken on way more prominence in this forum than it has in the PA race. No one is still talking about it. On the ranked list of reasons not to vote for Mastriano, it's way down in the triple digits.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am
stessier wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am My understanding is they have been under a boil water advisory for almost a month - this latest storm just took out the backup pumps they've been using so they no longer have water pressure sufficient for flushing toilets or using for fire fighting (and of course they can't drink it still).
Yeah, apparently. In reading up more, there were problems back in February of 2021 and the boil water for the last month (it's also in the article). I'm just hearing about it now because of the emergency situation. I can't believe the month-long boil water notice didn't make it into my news rotation.
Populism: it yields lots of votes, not lots of qualified leaders.

Expect this kind of thing to keep happening all across the country.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Who is melting down? Though the idea that this doesn't merit a news report when the guy is running for governor seems ridiculous. Choosing to dress in a confederate uniform when encouraged to dress as a historical figure is a statement. I'm not saying that this is the most objectionable thing that Mastriano has ever done (and I haven't yet heard his explanation as to why), I'm just saying that it is objectionable.

And yes, it is different from dressing as confederate soldiers for Civil War reenactment. If you are going to reenact Civil War battles, then someone's gotta be the bad guys. Not that I wouldn't look askance at the confederate soldiers, but I get why it's needed in that context.

And I do ask again - would your feelings about this be different if he was dressed in a 1930s Wehrmacht uniform? He would be dressing as a historical figure there too. What if he was dressed as North Vietnamese soldier?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm Populism: it yields lots of votes, not lots of qualified leaders.

Well, maybe not *everywhere*
Jackson Demographics

Black or African American: 82.47% White: 16.19% Two or more races: 0.70% Asian: 0.33%
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:56 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm Populism: it yields lots of votes, not lots of qualified leaders.

Well, maybe not *everywhere*
Jackson Demographics

Black or African American: 82.47% White: 16.19% Two or more races: 0.70% Asian: 0.33%
He was first elected in 2017. In the primary, Lumumba soundly won the Democratic nomination, defeating incumbent mayor Tony Yarber and John Horhn, a state senator.
Yarber is black.

He is the son of former mayor Chokwe Lumumba, who served briefly before his death in 2014.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Who is melting down? Though the idea that this doesn't merit a news report when the guy is running for governor seems ridiculous. Choosing to dress in a confederate uniform when encouraged to dress as a historical figure is a statement. I'm not saying that this is the most objectionable thing that Mastriano has ever done (and I haven't yet heard his explanation as to why), I'm just saying that it is objectionable.

And yes, it is different from dressing as confederate soldiers for Civil War reenactment. If you are going to reenact Civil War battles, then someone's gotta be the bad guys. Not that I wouldn't look askance at the confederate soldiers, but I get why it's needed in that context.

And I do ask again - would your feelings about this be different if he was dressed in a 1930s Wehrmacht uniform? He would be dressing as a historical figure there too. What if he was dressed as North Vietnamese soldier?
I agree. The decision to wear that uniform was a statement for sure. Voters deserve to decide for themselves whether that reflects poorly on his decision making, character, and his fairness. It's relevant and newsworthy.

I also track on the other angle too. He was serving as an active military leader at the time. He decided it was a good idea to dress us as an enemy soldier. That's bizarre. It'd be just as odd in the abstract to dress up as a British soldier, NVA, KPA, etc. But then you layer in all the other context and this is hardly a case of the cancelled politician.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The most shocking thing to me about it was that he is actually the Representative for Gettysburg.

Rural PA gonna rural PA tho...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were melting down. Definitely not my intention, but that wasn't clear. I was reacting to some of the outraged social media posts I've been seeing about this.

Also, I don't have any doubt that Mastriano is a total douche bag who probably harbors Lost Cause sympathies. I just think I'm with Holman on the overall take that "uniformgate" doesn't rank very high on the list of reasons not to vote for MAGAt-loving, election-denying Mastriano.

Last point: I hear your question about the 1930s Wehrmacht uniform, but my answer is most definitely, "it depends." I guess I feel like the "good guys" and "bad guys" delineation you are putting out there is much more appropriate at a macro level rather than a micro level. The Confederacy and WW2 Germany and Japan were undoubtedly the "bad guys." But were the individuals serving in (and sometimes leading) their militaries at the time all bad guys, too? If someone attended a military history-themed event dressed as Rommel, would that deserve censure?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:24 pmLast point: I hear your question about the 1930s Wehrmacht uniform, but my answer is most definitely, "it depends." I guess I feel like the "good guys" and "bad guys" delineation you are putting out there is much more appropriate at a macro level rather than a micro level. The Confederacy and WW2 Germany and Japan were undoubtedly the "bad guys." But were the individuals serving in (and sometimes leading) their militaries at the time all bad guys, too? If someone attended a military history-themed event dressed as Rommel, would that deserve censure?
FWIW there is another angle. Mastriano was a serving officer who took a loyalty oath. He then dressed up as an enemy to that oath. It's really odd. I doubt you'd find many officers who'd be willing to do that at anything but a private function if at all. I know people might say lighten up Frances it was a costume party but I'm fairly confident a lot of officers might think it was really unwise. I don't think it is a coincidence that he positioned on the edge of the group with a good couple of feet between him and the other participants.