Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Political Randomness

Post by hepcat »

Trump straight up just making shit up about Fetterman at this point, claiming he takes heroin and crystal meth. And no, not implying…literally claiming he does. Can’t Fetterman sue his ass for this?

He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:50 pm Can’t Fetterman sue his ass for this?

And what, spend hundreds of thousands or more and a decade in court?

There are no legal consequences for Trump. A civil suit would be a tortured process.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's amazing he managed to get through that whole sentence without sniffling. Every accusation is a confession.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:50 pm Can’t Fetterman sue his ass for this?
In this soulless shit hole of a nation? Absolutely not worth it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then Fetterman should just start making shit up about Trump. That he’s impotent, he lusts after his own daughter, that he pays prostitutes to urinate on him.

Oh…wait…those are actually true, aren’t they.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's the problem with dealing with Trump. There is no choice but to wrestle in the mud. It rarely works out in the end.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:50 pm Trump straight up just making shit up about Fetterman at this point, claiming he takes heroin and crystal meth. And no, not implying…literally claiming he does.
Look. Fetterman is a simple mid-Atlantic Lt. Governor. You've got to have solid D.C. connections to get hooked up with the baby blood and adrenochrome.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Seems pretty fishy that this guy had both House Arrest AND wasn't forced to testify.
The military contractor known as “Fat Leonard,” the mastermind behind the worst public corruption scandal in U.S. Navy history who was three weeks away from being sentenced in the case, is on the run.

Leonard Glenn Francis, who has been under house arrest, cut off his GPS monitoring ankle bracelet and absconded from his San Diego home sometime Sunday morning, said Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Omar Castillo....

...The exact requirements of Francis’ house arrest, beyond the GPS monitoring, were not clear Monday. Previous court orders that were unsealed earlier this year show that U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino had called for constant security 24 hours a day at Francis’ home. The security was provided by an unnamed private company, with Francis footing the bill. ..

...Both behind bars and later while on home confinement, Francis worked as a cooperating witness for federal prosecutors who continued to build cases against several others involved in the scheme, including high-ranking naval officers. His sentencing date had been put off for years as he assisted prosecutors and prepared for what was expected to be his star turn on the witness stand in the trial earlier this year against five former naval officers.

But for reasons unknown, Francis was never called to testify. Four of the officers were convicted, and the jury deadlocked on charges against the fifth. Twenty-nine others — Navy officials, defense contractors, Francis and his corporation — have pleaded guilty.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He probably wasn't called to testify because he wasn't going to be a reliable witness for either side.

This was big news in the nat sec morning because apparently a lot of folks saw this coming. There were all sorts of peculiarities about this case. The judge let him out on bail 4 years ago even though everyone thought he was a flight risk and the government let him pay for his own security! They had to lure him into the US from Malaysia to arrest him in the first place. He also owes the US government $30M. A lot of folks assume he is sneaking out to get back to Malaysia where he'll be pretty much out of reach.

What's nuts is that he bribed so many navy officials. Yet barely anyone knows about it. WaPo was tracking it at one point but it was last updated 4 years ago.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hire your own private security? That's just stupid, even if the Feds get to pick the firm. It should be FBI or IS Marshalls and he should pay their salary for the duration.

Also, are ankle bracelets one of the biggest frauds perpetrated against local and federal governments or what? Completely useless.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW today was primary day in Massachusetts. Nothing hugely consequential and no real upsets. As expected Maura Healey (the current AG) easily won her primary contest to be the democratic nominee for governor. On the Republican side local Trumpist lunatic Geoff Diehl won the GOP primary. Should be an easy win for Healey since outright Trumpist lunacy doesn't play super well in this blue state. Of note if she wins Healey will be the first lesbian governor of the state.

Still, not great for good governance that the state GOP has seemingly abandoned the path of reason for madness. As Democratic as Massachusetts is we do like to hire GOP governors to keep a check on the legislature. If the local GOP doesn't pull out of this tailspin that will decrease that trend I imagine, but even here I think crazy GOP nominees would periodically break through under the right environments. And you know, one party states generally aren't great even if the party in question is sane.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:59 pm FWIW today was primary day in Massachusetts. Nothing hugely consequential and no real upsets. As expected Maura Healey (the current AG) easily won her primary contest to be the democratic nominee for governor. On the Republican side local Trumpist lunatic Geoff Diehl won the GOP primary. Should be an easy win for Healey since outright Trumpist lunacy doesn't play super well in this blue state. Of note if she wins Healey will be the first lesbian governor of the state.

Still, not great for good governance that the state GOP has seemingly abandoned the path of reason for madness. As Democratic as Massachusetts is we do like to hire GOP governors to keep a check on the legislature. If the local GOP doesn't pull out of this tailspin that will decrease that trend I imagine, but even here I think crazy GOP nominees would periodically break through under the right environments. And you know, one party states generally aren't great even if the party in question is sane.
I thought about taking a R ballot to vote against Diehl. The D ballot was pretty boring. Quentin Palfrey was the only candidate I cared much about and he dropped out the day after I voted. But I worried that Doughty might have a long shot in the general if Healy pulls a Coakley, and I don't like Doughty at all, either. He's not the savior the Mass. R Party needs. Better to watch the MAGA dude lose by 30 points.

I have a grudge against Diehl because my favorite bar held a fundraiser for him last spring, so I've had to boycott it ever since.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Incidentally, when trump stumped for Geoff Diehl last week, he said that Diehl will "rule with an iron fist."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:24 pm Incidentally, when trump stumped for Geoff Diehl last week, he said that Diehl will "rule with an iron fist."
OK, see that just HAS to be lib trolling. He IS known for doing that, so...

He can pretty much say anything absurd and get away with it, and sometimes I think he just gets bored, and sees how far he can push things in order to trigger, well most of the state of Massachusetts.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:28 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:24 pm Incidentally, when trump stumped for Geoff Diehl last week, he said that Diehl will "rule with an iron fist."
OK, see that just HAS to be lib trolling. He IS known for doing that, so...

He can pretty much say anything absurd and get away with it, and sometimes I think he just gets bored, and sees how far he can push things in order to trigger, well most of the state of Massachusetts.
The MAGAts like dictators and that iron fist isn't going to come down on them. Fortunately, MAGAts don't have any traction here. Diehl will still draw 30-40% because committed Republicans will dutifully show up, MAGA or not.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, sometimes it's good that thoughts and prayers don't work...
Looking ahead to Jan 6, the man said: “I pray that… we’ll seize the power that we had given to us by the Constitution, and as well by You, providentially. I pray for the leaders also in the federal government, God, on the Sixth of January that they will rise up with boldness.”...

...The man was state senator Doug Mastriano, now the Republican nominee to be the next governor of Pennsylvania. As he spoke, Mastriano held up letters to Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy that he said Trump personally asked him to write to the Republican leaders “outlining the fraud in Pennsylvania.” He implored that Congress “disregard” the certified election results for the state, “in Jesus’ name, amen.”

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I gave this film (My Son Hunter) a partial watch this morning. It's ... something. As stupid and over the top it is, it starts with a creepy Biden moment (he sniffs his female secret service members hair), and goes right into hammering on the unreported facts and 'fake news' themes. It's well made and slickly delivers its effortless smears. It seems they are raising the bar/sophistication levels of their propaganda efforts. It is likely how they aim to recruit and maintain their cult.

Sorta NSFW Tweet
Spoiler:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is that Eric?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:54 pm Is that Eric?
Nah the film features a ton of "cancelled" actors because stick it libs. In this case, that is some English prick who spent the pandemic complaining about mask policies and vaccines.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:54 pm Is that Eric?
If he can form a sentence, then no.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The new republican mayor of Chattanooga has decided he wants to sit with the the city council.....so they are now paying $50,000 to add him a chair and dais.

Glad to see they are good with money....dumbasses one and all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:53 pm
RM2 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 pm This article says 45.2 million

https://www.reuters.com/business/media- ... 022-08-05/
Interesting what this one juror said about what the jury wanted the punitive damages to reflect:
Sharon said jurors decided to award punitive damages worth 10% of Jones' net worth per parent. Jones is worth between $130 million and $270 million, a plaintiffs' expert testified. The jurors' punitive damages verdict was $45.2 million.
Time for the Alex Jones road show to hit Connecticut this week!
A Connecticut jury of three men and three women will now determine how much Jones and his company Free Speech Systems (FSS) will have to pay other families of more students and employees killed in the 2012 shooting, which Jones and his colleagues told their audience was a hoax.
Connecticut Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis ruled in November 2021 that Jones and FSS were liable for defaming the 15 plaintiffs in this trial mainly because Jones and his company failed to cooperate in turning over documents in the discovery process.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How many times in life can you get caught behind the presidential motorcade? I think this makes the fifth? Sixth? time in my life. Today was the worst ever for me. Got hit during rushhour, in construction, right as it was being organized. All so I could hit the market by the airport close to closing to save a couple of dollars while still getting crazy fresh produce. My time was worth more than the few dollars I saved.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re the one that insisted on moving into a condo on Pennsylvania Avenue, dude.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:45 pm You’re the one that insisted on moving into a condo on Pennsylvania Avenue, dude.
Lol.

I live in the DC area and have never been stopped by a presidential motorcade in 20 years!
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Considering this is your commuter car, I'm not sure why...

He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Can I have a ride?

malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:02 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:45 pm You’re the one that insisted on moving into a condo on Pennsylvania Avenue, dude.
Lol.

I live in the DC area and have never been stopped by a presidential motorcade in 20 years!
When I used to work and drive in regularly to NYC it was always a disaster. The nature of the constricted nature of the city but good lord was it bad. I usually avoided it when announced but the surprise visits were painful.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe it has been around for a while, but I just heard a new favorite word:

Cosplatriots
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:32 pm How many times in life can you get caught behind the presidential motorcade? I think this makes the fifth? Sixth? time in my life. Today was the worst ever for me. Got hit during rushhour, in construction, right as it was being organized. All so I could hit the market by the airport close to closing to save a couple of dollars while still getting crazy fresh produce. My time was worth more than the few dollars I saved.
Some years ago, a whole slew of co-workers in India were all late due to traffic. So in a joking manner I said "Thanks Obama" because that was the style at the time. And they were like, "Exactly" The Obama presidential trip to India caused a massive traffic clusterjam in Dheli and the surroundings, making them, and basically everybody else in the city late.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just wanted to remind people that when the Dem leadership decided to boost MAGAts like John Gibbs in primary contests against non-MAGAt Republicans that voted to impeach Trump (i.e., Peter Meijer), here's who they were helping to put one general election away from Congress:

GOP congressional candidate said US suffered from women’s suffrage and praised organization trying to repeal 19th Amendment
As a student at Stanford University in the early 2000s, Gibbs founded a self-described “think tank” called the Society for the Critique of Feminism that argued women did not “posess (sic) the characteristics necessary to govern,” and said men were smarter than women because they are more likely to “think logically about broad and abstract ideas in order to deduce a suitable conclusion, without relying upon emotional reasoning.”
. . .
“Some argue that in a democratic society, it is hypocritical or unjust for women, who are 50% of the population, not to have the vote,” Gibbs’ website read. “This is obviously not true, since the founding fathers, who understood liberty and democracy better than anyone, did not believe so. In addition, all people under age 18 cannot vote, although they too comprise a significant portion of the population. So we cannot say that women should be able to vote simply because they are a large part of the population.”
. . .
One section of Gibbs’ website said having more women in workplaces “strains” men by keeping them from making offensive jokes and leading to “frivilous” (sic) sexual harassment lawsuits.

“In the post-feminist workplace, men must bend over backwards to make sure that they do not inadvertently offend any woman who might happen to hear a joke or comment uttered in humor and harmlessness,” the website read. “Numerous sexual harassment laws are introduced, which spawn a barrage of sexual harassment cases of frivolous proportions, wasting the time and energy of the courts and legal system, and taxpayer dollars.”

Gibbs’ website also said having more women in the workplace affected chemistry and led to less qualified employees.

“Businesses must make a concerted effort to hire and promote women who may or may not be up to par with their male counterparts,” he said. “In addition, the chemistry of having women in a masculine environment may reduce business cohesiveness and productivity from what it might have been otherwise (this is especially true of the military, although by no means limited to it). Needless to say all these things subtract from a team’s effort to produce efficiently.”

“Therefore, since the increased presence of women in the workplace does not benefit men, women, or business operations, there is no factual basis on which to claim that it is better to have more women in the workplace,” he concluded.
If Hillary Scholten doesn't beat Gibbs and beat him soundly in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District, there better be some new people calling the shots at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC).

Of course, political analysts in Michigan are calling the race "exceedingly competitive" . . . :roll:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Everything went to hell when we let girls vote.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As an update, it remains true that everyone hates Sinema.

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, except for the shareholders of the corporations paying her.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 pm Well, except for the shareholders of the corporations paying her.
I bet even they don't *like* her.

The question is whether she's more personally unpopular than Ted Cruz.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cruz's dad killed JFK. He's gotta be lower on the totem pole.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My appreciation for Pete grows hour by hour.

He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey if even one guy thought he was better off it was worth it!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kellyanne Conway goes off on Fetterman flying a marijuana flag a while back by claiming that overdose deaths in Pennsylvania have doubled. Even giving her the benefit of the doubt that she meant all drug deaths, and not marijuana overdose deaths (of which there are zero), it's still an outright lie.

But it has generated some great twitter responses.

He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't possibly speak for the masses, but my boomer parents are very strongly against legalized marijuana. It stresses them out to a degree I did not think possible. When asked, they say they think people will get "all potted up on weed" and drive around, causing more car accidents. Because as we know, no one is driving around now under the influence of drugs (or alcohol).

There's definitely seems to be a cultural / generational divide on Jazz Cabbage and I'm guessing the Fox News demographic is squarely in the group that feels legalizing Devil's Lettuce will only usher in the fall of America that much faster.