Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Political Randomness

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:08 pm I dont get it.
If I'm understanding it correctly...

"The Federalist is an American conservative online magazine and podcast" ... and they posted a tweet suggesting that everyone boycott(?) Disney by going to DollyWood (or at least they want people to support Dolly over Disney). Apparently they assumed that Dolly is conservative (because, as others suggested above, she is a Country singer). However, apparently Dolly is not remotely conservative. Which is what Grace Segers is pointing out.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is the same mistake that JD Vance made several times in Ohio. Trying to manipulate the deplorables but having zero awareness of their culture.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The conservative, Reich-wing Federalists *spits* are pissed at Disney's current "pro-gay politics stance". So they are suggesting all good social conservative asshats spend their money at Dollywood as an alternative. What said Federalists don't know is that Dolly has been somewhat of a gay rights supporter over the years, and some say she IS gay (I have no idea, and don't really care). Which is hilariously ironic. Assumption being that country music = "our peeps" which is probably MOSTLY true, with some notable country "greats" exceptions, icons even (Parton, (suggested) Cash, Nelson to name a few). Thought TBH Cash is iffy at best here, but would love to have that argument in a separate thread. :P

This is what happens when you view the world in black and white IMO. You make stupid mistakes like this that make you look like even more of an asshat than you are. And for these fuckers, that is truly an accomplishment.

EDIT: I KNEW I was going to get BAMmed, and sho nuf...BAM!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Page breaks are a hell of a drug.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:45 pm
The conservative, Reich-wing Federalists *spits* are pissed at Disney's current "pro-gay politics stance". So they are suggesting all good social conservative asshats spend their money at Dollywood as an alternative. What said Federalists don't know is that Dolly has been somewhat of a gay rights supporter over the years, and some say she IS gay (I have no idea, and don't really care). Which is hilariously ironic. Assumption being that country music = "our peeps" which is probably MOSTLY true, with some notable country "greats" exceptions, icons even (Parton, (suggested) Cash, Nelson to name a few). Thought TBH Cash is iffy at best here, but would love to have that argument in a separate thread. :P

This is what happens when you view the world in black and white IMO. You make stupid mistakes like this that make you look like even more of an asshat than you are. And for these fuckers, that is truly an accomplishment.

Oh I see now. Ok ty. Dolly would bitch slap the idiots. I also for some reason thought of Disney as anti gay. Their 'wholesome' bs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:45 pm

Eh. I'd give you credit. You had more specifics. I was just giving it my best interpretation without the facts. I am glad that I mostly got it right. Thanks for the additional information!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Oh I see now. Ok ty. Dolly would bitch slap the idiots. I also for some reason thought of Disney as anti gay.
They weren't - I'm pretty sure they were corporate leader in giving domestic partners rights before marriage was legalized. Which is not to say they have a perfect track record.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As I understand it, the current CEO has been under a lot of pressure from Disney employees for not coming out against Florida's "Don't Say Gay" legislation sooner and more forcefully. Now that he has, Disney is under fire from conservatives, so they're sort of catching flak from all sides at the moment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:17 pm

"The Federalist is an American conservative online magazine and podcast" ... and they posted a tweet suggesting that everyone boycott(?) Disney by going to DollyWood (or at least they want people to support Dolly over Disney). Apparently they assumed that Dolly is conservative (because, as others suggested above, she is a Country singer). However, apparently Dolly is not remotely conservative. Which is what Grace Segers is pointing out.
Ahhhh thank you. The deplorable are sheep. Sheep that call others sheep.

Maybe it was Jews Walt hated in the day. I know Disney was anti something a long time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:35 pm
Maybe it was Jews Walt hated in the day. I know Disney was anti something a long time.
Well, they are a very old company with a body of work that reflects those... less enlightened times.

Colin Jost made a pretty good joke about all of this a couple weeks ago:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:35 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:17 pm

Ahhhh thank you. The deplorable are sheep. Sheep that call others sheep.

Yeah Walt Disney was famously not crazy about Jews. And actually my daughter back in maybe 2nd grade was doing a project on him for school, and I mentioned that to her. A few weeks later I got her project back and it was Walt Disney's name with like a word dictionary around him. And it had "started Disney" "made movies" "created Disney World" as well as "Not crazy about Jews". Well, good that she was listening.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm so tired. This system keeps spitting out morally outrageous outcomes. We're transforming into something incredibly dark here.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

New York's latest political scandal only involves our lieutenant governor. Not even the actual governor! We're really slacking off here.
Lt. Gov. Brian A. Benjamin of New York, the state’s second-in-command to Gov. Kathy Hochul, surrendered early Tuesday morning to face a federal bribery conspiracy indictment in connection with a scheme to funnel fraudulent donations to a previous campaign, according to people with knowledge of the matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:09 pm
Yeah Walt Disney was famously not crazy about Jews
I think you're find his views about Jews were crazy. :wink:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AWS260 wrote:New York's latest political scandal only involves our lieutenant governor. Not even the actual governor! We're really slacking off here.
Lt. Gov. Brian A. Benjamin of New York, the state’s second-in-command to Gov. Kathy Hochul, surrendered early Tuesday morning to face a federal bribery conspiracy indictment in connection with a scheme to funnel fraudulent donations to a previous campaign, according to people with knowledge of the matter.
Gee, who would have thought that campaign finance is corrupt?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm He might end up getting impeached. Oh no. What will this rich & clearly powerful guy do now that he got away with hit and run murder?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna24123
Jason Ravnsborg was suspended ahead of a Senate trial, which could result in permanent removal from office if a two-thirds majority votes to convict him.
malchior

Post by malchior »

31 Republicans in the SD House voted against impeachment. We'll see what'll happen in the SD Senate. Will they signal moral decay or stand up for the law.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:30 am I'm so tired. This system keeps spitting out morally outrageous outcomes. We're transforming into something incredibly dark here.

Yeah. Of everything that happened that summer, that seemed clearly the most egregious. How they could have been cleared is unfathomable.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Clearly the system can't be racist if the police are brutalizing old white men with impunity. /s
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its the POS that is 'merica now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's not surprising. This goes into a whole different realm but labor arbitration involving police unions almost always favor the officers (story for a reference but that realm is deep).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:13 pm How they could have been cleared is unfathomable.
"that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
-Inigo Montoya

:P

Totes fathomable. I would even say typical and unsurprising in the current political/rule of law(lessness) climate.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nate Silver's journey into incoherence and irrelevance is pretty much complete. Political handicapping was his touchstone and this idea he has been pushing lately is patently laughable. We have reams of evidence that people are voting in line with all sorts of fake issues. His belief that somehow there is some overarching alignment between the state of the economy and (edit: party affiliation) is also...baffling. What's the theory here? Who knows because he doesn't actually explain any of this in any sort of coherent rigorous way.

Last edited by malchior on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 pm Nate Silver's journey into incoherence and irrelevance is pretty much complete. Political handicapping was his touchstone and this idea he has been pushing lately is patently laughable. We have reams of evidence that people are voting in line with all sorts of fake issues. His belief that somehow there is alignment between the state of the economy and economics is also...baffling. What's the theory here? Who knows because he doesn't actually explain any of this in any sort of coherent rigorous way.

I stopped reading his stuff quite a long time ago, and have no idea what his current ideas are, but maybe he's throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, maybe the crazier the better (to get attention that he lost years ago). ??? No idea.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 am
gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:13 pm How they could have been cleared is unfathomable.
"that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
-Inigo Montoya

:P

Totes fathomable. I would even say typical and unsurprising in the current political/rule of law(lessness) climate.
In any just world it would be unfathomable. In this highly unjust timeline it's par for the course and expected.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:12 pm 31 Republicans in the SD House voted against impeachment. We'll see what'll happen in the SD Senate. Will they signal moral decay or stand up for the law.
Assuming this is rhetorical. Cause we all know exactly what’s going to happen.

Remember, no moral red lines. That’s party doctrine at this point.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So why did impeachment pass the House?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because 28 Republicans and the 8 Democrats voted for it.

Mitchell Republic
In a 36-31 vote, the House decided to impeach the attorney general both for crimes and malfeasance in office.
Enlarge Image
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 pm Because 28 Republicans and the 8 Democrats voted for it.
So party doctrine did not apply?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 pm Because 28 Republicans and the 8 Democrats voted for it.
Shocking, I know.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:56 pmAssuming this is rhetorical. Cause we all know exactly what’s going to happen.

Remember, no moral red lines. That’s party doctrine at this point.
Semi-rhetorical. :)

You have to put aside that it took 8 Democrats to overcome the majority of SD GOP House Reps voting against impeachment. Also relevant is that this was after they conducted a sham House Investigation which didn't even consult law enforcement or read the main investigation into the record before recommending against Impeachment.

Then there is Ravnsborg himself. His press release before the impeachment vote is something. He specifies the wrong date for when he killed a man while also later in the letter claiming to have marked the date on his calendar. It is unclear if he is using the right or wrong date when he says, 'I mark it on my calendar each day and reflect'. Which I'll also argue doesn't make any sense. I can hear John Oliver in my head showing a graphic of a big calendar with each day marked with that wrong date with a reminder to 'reflect'. Anyway, that absurdity is completely on brand.

Also I note that the "apology" he gave to family immediately preceded consequences - how convenient - but also managed to focus on how it impacted him - the killer. Just another garbage human demonstrating his garbage human bona fides.

Argus Leader
The letter included multiple errors and appeared to have been a draft that was not completed before its release. In one sentence, words that were supposed to have been deleted appeared as strike throughs. In the opening sentence he had the wrong date of the accident.

But those opening paragraphs of the letter slammed Noem, who called on his resignation and then impeachment over a year ago. Ravnsborg accused the governor of using the accident as a political weapon. Her motivation, he said, was to install a new attorney general of her choosing.

He accused Noem of violating his due process rights and privacy rights, and said that his office's investigations into her activities played a role in her animosity toward him.

Ravnsborg also issued an apology to Boever's family.

"It has been 576 days since the accident," he wrote. "I mark it on my calendar each day and reflect. I want to say, 'I am Sorry'. Every day I think about Joe Boever, a man I had never met, who changed my life forever. I am sorry the family has had to endure this tragedy in so many ways and has been put in the middle of this highly political situation."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Shocking, I know.
well it certainly wasn’t teed up that way for us.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:20 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Shocking, I know.
It's also a sorta outcome. The majority of GOP members still voted to not impeach. And the process...was not great to get there. The Senate trial could very well exonerate him because there are only 3 Democrats out of 35 in the SD Senate. Worse this is essentially watching infighting between Trumpists. Is this happening because of 'rule of law' or local party power politics? It sure looks a ton like the latter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 pm Nate Silver's journey into incoherence and irrelevance is pretty much complete. Political handicapping was his touchstone and this idea he has been pushing lately is patently laughable. We have reams of evidence that people are voting in line with all sorts of fake issues. His belief that somehow there is some overarching alignment between the state of the economy and (edit: party affiliation) is also...baffling. What's the theory here? Who knows because he doesn't actually explain any of this in any sort of coherent rigorous way.

To me I think there's a pretty big distinction between like the Russian hack and release of e-mails (which I think would be hard to dispute that that had a big impact) and Russian troll farm-esque activity ("Comes to rally today to support on Trump against Clinton!!!"), which *could* have had a material impact but that's a tougher / less clear argument to make.

I think the point is essentially that none of the past few elections have been out of line with fundamentals in a way that calls out for some unusual explicatory factor. E.g.:

2016 = unpopular incumbent party candidate + unpopular challenger + incumbent party seeking a third consecutive term + ok but not great economy = incredibly close but narrow incumbent defeat.

2018 = wildly unpopular incumbent party + incumbent control of all government branches + midterm election = big opposition party win

2020 = unpopular incumbent + ok economy but with covid disruptions = narrow opposition victory

I think it's just that the headline results and margins of victory aren't all that different from what might well have been predicted in 2015 before we knew who the candidates were and the key issues. Which doesn't mean that 'misinformation' is irrelevant just that the fact that these results weren't out of line with what you would have expected means that there is probably a higher burden of proof on showing that it matters.

It also depends on how you define "misinformation". To me in understanding the 2016 results for example I'm incline to think that misinformation / troll farm type activity had a MUCH lower impact than mainstream media outlets treating Trump effectively as a regular candidate when he obviously wasn't, and treating Clinton as more radioactive / controversial than she should have been. Is that 'misinformation'? I would be inclined to regard it as such but I don't think that most people would define that as misinformation.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:34 am
malchior wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 pm Nate Silver's journey into incoherence and irrelevance is pretty much complete. Political handicapping was his touchstone and this idea he has been pushing lately is patently laughable. We have reams of evidence that people are voting in line with all sorts of fake issues. His belief that somehow there is some overarching alignment between the state of the economy and (edit: party affiliation) is also...baffling. What's the theory here? Who knows because he doesn't actually explain any of this in any sort of coherent rigorous way.

To me I think there's a pretty big distinction between like the Russian hack and release of e-mails (which I think would be hard to dispute that that had a big impact) and Russian troll farm-esque activity ("Comes to rally today to support on Trump against Clinton!!!"), which *could* have had a material impact but that's a tougher / less clear argument to make.
IMO that is one and the same activity. The assessments I've seen, my own thoughts, even revelations from the Mueller report point to strong evidence that the Russians had an organized campaign to influence our elections. Troll farms, hacking, and other forms of misinformation were part of a single larger campaign to impact our elections and they succeeded beyond anyone's expectations. They were targeted but also opportunistic. For example, the hacking portion provided some of fuel for the misinformation campaign to leverage. They were just more effective because they were anchored to tangible evidence but that didn't also prevent manufactured stories as well. Beyond the Russia angle we had and still have destabilizing impacts of social media that amplified the foreign attacks and paired up with domestic misinformation as well.

It's impossible IMO to cohesively and competently analyze recent elections if they are handwaved aside in favor of 'mostly the economy' type analysis. That model is just too simple. That is part of the way I evaluate this at least. Especially considering how even the most outlandish rumors are able to be amplified nowadays. It also doesn't model the why the electorate is so divided in such exploitable ways which are also misinformation driven.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:34 am

IMO that is one and the same activity. The assessments I've seen, my own thoughts, even revelations from the Mueller report point to strong evidence that the Russians had an organized campaign to influence our elections. Troll farms, hacking, and other forms of misinformation were part of a single larger campaign to impact our elections and they succeeded beyond anyone's expectations. They were targeted but also opportunistic. For example, the hacking portion provided some of fuel for the misinformation campaign to leverage. They were just more effective because they were anchored to tangible evidence but that didn't also prevent manufactured stories as well. Beyond the Russia angle we had and still have destabilizing impacts of social media that amplified the foreign attacks and paired up with domestic misinformation as well.

It's impossible IMO to cohesively and competently analyze recent elections if they are handwaved aside in favor of 'mostly the economy' type analysis. That model is just too simple. That is part of the way I evaluate this at least. Especially considering how even the most outlandish rumors are able to be amplified nowadays. It also doesn't model the why the electorate is so divided in such exploitable ways which are also misinformation driven.
There was clearly an organized Russian campaign to influence our elections. The question is to what extent has it succeeded in terms of changing electoral outcomes, and if so which parts of the campaign have done so. Has anyone written a comprehensive paper on this question? That Trump won in 2016 isn't really enough to conclude that the Russian campaign changed the outcome. Not that this would be an easy thing to prove, but I think we need more than Russian campaign + Trump win.

Really what I'd like to see is a state level analysis, because that would reduce the number of interfering variables, plus because it's way easier for me to believe that Russian misinformation changed ~ 80,000 votes in the upper midwest than for me to believe that it changed millions of votes nationwide.

And in terms of partisan divide, I think the story there is much more about the creation of a conservative media bubble (Fox News + talk radio). That ties into the Russia stuff in that Russia clearly attempted to benefit from that (intentionally as well via the NRA links) though that predates Russian interference.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

His used of underbaked seems backwards to me. Seems like the word he was looking for was overbaked.

overbaked
/ˌōvərˈbākt/
adjective
(of food) baked too much or for too long.
"an overbaked cake"
done to excess; exaggerated.
"a laughably overbaked conclusion"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He should be challenged on the use of the word so that he doubles down and comes up with an elaborate explanation of his expertise in linguistics based on his background in statistical analysis. Perhaps he meant half-baked?

Definition of half-baked

1a : poorly developed or carried out a half-baked idea half-baked research
b : lacking adequate planning or forethought a half-baked scheme for getting rich
c : lacking in judgment, intelligence, or common sense

Maybe he's got the brain fog.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can't roll my eyes hard enough. This caused the evacuation of the Capitol. An advertised event by another branch of the government.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In retaliation for Disney's outspokenness about Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill, the Florida general assembly passed a bill revoking Disney's Reedy Creek Improvement District. Here's a thread about how this is kinda disastrous for Orange and Ocela counties, and how might actually be a boon for Disney. Clearly no one thought this one through enough.

Hodor.