Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Political Randomness

Post by hepcat »

I remember when I was in Boy Scouts (as a kid, let's make that clear) they brought in a guest speaker to a sleep in at a church we had with a bunch of other troops. He spoke about drugs. Specifically, he talked about marijuana. And we got the story about the babysitter who was so hopped up on doobies that she ended up putting the baby in the oven.

At the time, I thought this was a real story so I was vehemently against smoking the chronic as I a) I didn't think I'd enjoy roasted baby and b)was worried I wouldn't know what to serve with roasted baby.

To this day, I still can't believe they told us that story. It's just ludicrous.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pfft, obviously fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm I can't possibly speak for the masses, but my boomer parents are very strongly against legalized marijuana. It stresses them out to a degree I did not think possible. When asked, they say they think people will get "all potted up on weed" and drive around, causing more car accidents. Because as we know, no one is driving around now under the influence of drugs (or alcohol).

There's definitely seems to be a cultural / generational divide on Jazz Cabbage and I'm guessing the Fox News demographic is squarely in the group that feels legalizing Devil's Lettuce will only usher in the fall of America that much faster.
My mom love edibles and swears by them for her arthritis pain. At this point she has probably consumed more THC post-70 than I have my whole life. She's all for legalization.

There's still a lot of racism baked into the anti-marijuana rhetoric. It's a pretty good bet that anyone who still thinks it's acceptable to use the term "colored" will also be anti-MJ.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've been watching Dragnet as a kind of historical culture investigation. Given how popular the show was, I thought it would give a good view on the popular ideas of the time. It's pretty easy to see the genesis of many of our parents' thoughts in those episodes.

This show had me going for a minute as the Hippies accurately predicted the future and I thought the episode was making the case for that future. Narrator: It was not. Spoiler: Show ends with a stoned wife forgetting the baby in the tub and the baby drowning.

Then there is this soliloquy about the comparisons of Alcohol/MJ/LSD

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In Dragnet they proposed that LSD is worse than Heroin? Wow. That's a first for me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 pm I remember when I was in Boy Scouts (as a kid, let's make that clear) they brought in a guest speaker to a sleep in at a church we had with a bunch of other troops. He spoke about drugs. Specifically, he talked about marijuana. And we got the story about the babysitter who was so hopped up on doobies that she ended up putting the baby in the oven.

At the time, I thought this was a real story so I was vehemently against smoking the chronic as I a) I didn't think I'd enjoy roasted baby and b)was worried I wouldn't know what to serve with roasted baby.

To this day, I still can't believe they told us that story. It's just ludicrous.
That was always an LSD story in our church youth groups.

Of course the doctrine was that weed would inexorably lead to constant LSD use, so, yeah.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Actually, now that you mention it, it might have been LSD.

But what do I know. I was high and starving for baby at the time.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm shocked Nancy Pelosi wouldn't let the stock trading ban come up for a vote. Shocked I say!

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm I can't possibly speak for the masses, but my boomer parents are very strongly against legalized marijuana. It stresses them out to a degree I did not think possible. When asked, they say they think people will get "all potted up on weed" and drive around, causing more car accidents. Because as we know, no one is driving around now under the influence of drugs (or alcohol).

There's definitely seems to be a cultural / generational divide on Jazz Cabbage and I'm guessing the Fox News demographic is squarely in the group that feels legalizing Devil's Lettuce will only usher in the fall of America that much faster.
You can thank Nixon and Reagan for their non-weed induced paranoia about weed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:01 pmThere's still a lot of racism baked into the anti-marijuana rhetoric. It's a pretty good bet that anyone who still thinks it's acceptable to use the term "colored" will also be anti-MJ.
1) I see what you did there, you tricksy hobbits.
2) So much this, the first sentence. I would like to see the stats on regular usage by race, though (obviously they don't exist). Terribly tempted to make anecdotal comments, but there are just too many factors at play. Socio-economics, geography, culture, etc. So messy.
3) What in Dorf's name does Michael Jackson's skin pigment have to do with this?! What a strange tangent.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Goddamn genius!

i've heard there was a crystal flute
that lizzo played and it pleased the youth
but you don't really care for music, do you?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. That’s awesome.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Every time I see a picture of Trump's smug smile I want to maim his face so bad.........
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:54 am Every time I see a picture of Trump's smug smile I want to maim his face so bad.........
Melania? Is that you?
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Big day for Brazil and the world today. Polls show Lula with a double digit lead, but whether he can get over 50% today is still uncertain. If he does, I guess we'll see how committed Bolsonaro is to using the military to hold onto power.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lula has just pulled ahead with 70% of the vote counted at 45.7%. Look like getting to 50 will be a stretch.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's a runoff. Lula 48.2% to Bolonaro's 43.4%.

The 3rd and 4th candidates are members of the Democratic Labor Movement and garnered 7.2%. I assume most of those will go to Lula. It's going to be a tense month in Brazil.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Tropical Trump was already claiming election fraud before the votes were being counted.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:54 am Tropical Trump was already claiming election fraud before the votes were being counted.
So was Bolonaro. And that polls were fake, and that the media lies, etc.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:54 am Tropical Trump was already claiming election fraud before the votes were being counted.
To be clear "Tropical Trump" = Bolsonaro.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:24 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm
To be clear "Tropical Trump" = Bolsonaro.
LOL- I'm a fool, I don't know what I would do without you (all). I just pictured our Trump in Mar-a-Lago with a big orange Tropicana face.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

California taxpayers are about to get gas refunds. What you need to know

Gov. Gavin Newsom and state lawmakers reached a deal for the refunds in June amid record-setting gas prices and rising costs for other goods.

Payments are automatic if you qualify; residents do not need to apply.

Individuals whose adjusted gross income in 2020 was up to $75,000 will receive a $350 refund, which doubles to $700 for joint filers earning as much as $150,000. Households will receive another $350 if they claimed any dependents, for a maximum of $1,050.

Has nothing to do with gas.

*Checks watch*
Yep, he's up for reelection in 2022.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Nice edits of the text which somewhat refutes what your are claiming.
Gov. Gavin Newsom and state lawmakers reached a deal for the refunds in June amid record-setting gas prices and rising costs for other goods.

Newsom had aimed to get the payments out by summer, when gas averaged over $6 per gallon, but debate among lawmakers over who would receive refunds and how much they would receive delayed the program by months.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

California is running a major surplus. I'll take it (even though I don't buy gas).
Last edited by Jaymann on Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 pm Nice edits of the text which somewhat refutes what your are claiming.

Newsom had aimed to get the payments out by summer, when gas averaged over $6 per gallon, but debate among lawmakers over who would receive refunds and how much they would receive delayed the program by months.
How is any of it refuted? Summer 2022 is still re-election year.

And if it goes to people based on residency and income, not gas (or goods) purchases, it's not really a "gas refund" (as headlines state, not sure what California is officially calling it).

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Colorado did the same thing. The headline called it "gas refunds" but this is really more of a "refund to compensate for rising cost of gas and other goods".
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 pm Nice edits of the text which somewhat refutes what your are claiming.

And if it goes to people based on residency and income, not gas (or goods) purchases, it's not really a "gas refund" (as headlines state, not sure what California is officially calling it).
When did gas prices explode in 2021 again? Did Newsom do this when he was facing recall? No .

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:38 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:

When did gas prices explode in 2021 again? Did Newsom do this when he was facing recall? No .
He did, but it wasn't a "gas refund," it was the Golden State Stimulus. Didn't round 2 go out just weeks before the recall vote?

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

gilraen wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm Colorado did the same thing. The headline called it "gas refunds" but this is really more of a "refund to compensate for rising cost of gas and other goods".
Which as a California resident I'm fine with. This is targeted at the non-rich who have been heavily affected by inflation. They need the help.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mass. has an obscure law from the 1980s that says if tax collections outpace growth by x amount, the gubmint has to give the difference back. This torpedoed the give-back that the legislature was writing because nobody remembered that law. The auto-triggered amount works out to around 13%, which isn't chump change. The legislature apologizes for sending money to people like me who actually paid the taxes instead of all the needy people who didn't.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

MAGA candidate: "My website doesn't show up in Google searches. The deep state is censoring me! I'm being deplatformed! Help, help...I'm being repressed!"

Reality: "You specifically set your site NOT to be indexed by Google, dumbass."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:47 am MAGA candidate: "My website doesn't show up in Google searches. The deep state is censoring me! I'm being deplatformed! Help, help...I'm being repressed!"

Reality: "You specifically set your site NOT to be indexed by Google, dumbass."
The Stupid, it burnssssss....

Holman

Post by Holman »

Lauren Boebert wrote:Two Words: Let's Go Brandon!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:47 am
Lauren Boebert wrote:Two Words: Let's Go Brandon!
I can only assume that's her attempt to be clever, fancying herself De Niro, like "I got two words for you. Shut the fuck up!"

Of course when you are and idiot trying to be clever often backfires. Especially when that comes out of nowhere.

Edit: context shows that is in response to a Biden speech. So her point is made. Only her response is to "Made in America", which implies if Biden slogans "Made in America" and your response is "Fuck Joe Biden" then your response is "Fuck Made in America" isn't it?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought she was trying to encourage Dark Brandon.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I suspect lib trolling. I have been doing that a lot lately for some reason.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Tulsi Gabbard has announced that she's leaving the Democratic Party. I don't know what they are going to do without her.

Also I loved this headline.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Girl’s gotta grift while she still can.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JFC
“I can no longer remain in today’s Democratic Party that is now under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness, who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war,”
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go