Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

Someone asked Pelosi about individual stock trading, specifically why spouses of elected officials should be able to do so:

"We're a free-market economy. They should be able to participate in that." -- Pelosi's rationale for why spouses of members of Congress should be able to trade individuals stocks is not very convincing
So yeah, absolutely gross.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Business Insider
"The STOCK Act exists to shine a bright light on trades by members of Congress," said spokesman Drew Hammill. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

"The speaker does not own any stocks," he continued. "As you can see from the required disclosures, with which the speaker fully cooperates, these transactions are marked 'SP' for spouse. The Speaker has no prior knowledge or subsequent involvement in any transactions."

Pelosi's husband, investor Paul Pelosi, frequently trades significant numbers of stocks. With her husband's assets considered, Pelosi ranks among the wealthiest members of Congress, according to an Insider analysis.

Insider has identified numerous examples of federal lawmakers trading stocks in industries they oversee as part of their congressional committee assignments, including within the defense, healthcare, and energy industries.
The difference between what Pelosi says and what actually happens has been found to be pretty significant. That said...is anyone really surprised?
Congress has a spotty and inconsistent method for collecting fines from members and top staffers who break a federal law designed to stop insider trading and conflicts of interest, an Insider investigation found.

Insider's investigation of financial disclosures found that 49 members of Congress and at least 182 of the highest-paid Capitol Hill staffers were late in filing their stock trades during 2020 and 2021.

Lawmakers and senior congressional staffers who blow past the deadlines established by the 2012 Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act are supposed to pay a late fee of $200 the first time. Increasingly higher fines follow if they continue to be late — potentially costing tens of thousands of dollars in extreme cases.

But accountability and transparency are decidedly lacking.

No public records exist indicating whether these officials ever paid the fines. Congressional ethics staff wouldn't confirm the existence of nonpublic ledgers tracking how many officials paid fines for violating the STOCK Act. And 19 lawmakers wouldn't answer questions from Insider about whether they'd paid a penalty. Ten other lawmakers said they'd paid their fines, but they declined to provide proof, such as a receipt or canceled check.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Golden age of fraud.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:43 pm Golden Gilded age of fraud.
FTFY
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McConnell and Paul having their cake and eating it too.

Zero consequences in the golden age of fraud.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The consequences of THIS will be that he is easily re-elected. Abject hypocrisy is not punishable politically these days (same as it ever was perhaps?).

Because this issue is not a cultural/political one. If he had been seen being too bi-partisan, or softened a particular conservative stance, THEN you would see results from polling against him.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he made a formal apology for his previous stance on federal aid in the face of the current disaster, and polled much lower as a result (soft, weak, etc).
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am The consequencues of THIS will be that he is easily re-elected.
This. They bring it home for their constituency and fuck everybody else. That's why they are loved. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And they're getting help despite the two sack-of-crap Senators they've elected (who couldn't even be seen with Biden yesterday as he was touring KY) because the President isn't a sociopath.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

TIL that Boris Johnson was born in New York, Upper East Side.

I was reading an article about U.S. citizens living abroad being unable to renounce their citizenship. The article mentioned accidental Americans, those who were born in the U.S., but lived elsewhere most of their lives. Turns out Johnson was one of them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Chairman Jelena McWilliams on Friday unexpectedly submitted her resignation after the Trump appointee faced partisan strife at the bank regulator, in a move that will give Democrats control of the agency in the coming weeks.

Her departure, effective Feb. 4, means that FDIC board member Martin Gruenberg will become acting chair — his third stint atop the 88-year-old independent agency that insures trillions of dollars in deposits at the nation’s banks. It followed an attempt by Gruenberg and other Democrats on the agency’s board to wrest control from McWilliams, whose term was not scheduled to end until June 2023.

Earlier this month, the Democratic majority on the FDIC’s board voted to take public feedback on potential changes to the agency’s bank merger approval process. McWilliams did not participate in the vote, and the FDIC in an official statement said the action was not valid. A legal debate ensued over whether a majority of the board can put items up for a vote without the consent of the chair, with Democrats maintaining they had clear authority.

At a Dec. 14 board meeting, McWilliams rejected a bid by Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Rohit Chopra — an FDIC board member and ally of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) — to add a record of the vote to the FDIC’s official minutes.

Later, in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, McWilliams referred to the episode as a “hostile takeover.” But she made no mention of the saga in her resignation letter to President Joe Biden on Friday.
Her impending exit opens up another key position for Biden to fill, and it means none of the three federal banking agencies will have a Senate-confirmed official serving in their top regulatory job. The president is expected to soon tap a vice chair of supervision at the Federal Reserve, while his pick for comptroller of the currency recently withdrew after facing opposition from moderate Democrats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:24 am McConnell and Paul having their cake and eating it too.

Zero consequences in the golden age of fraud.
Frankly, if I were a senator from one of those states, I'd tell Paul that I am going to block any aid to his state until he publicly apologizes on the Senate floor and publicly promises to never pull these stunts again.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:25 am Frankly, if I were a senator from one of those states, I'd tell Paul that I am going to block any aid to his state until he publicly apologizes on the Senate floor and publicly promises to never pull these stunts again.
At first glance, I didn't like this idea but it takes seconds for that apology and quite frankly he should grovel and if he's not willing to do so be exposed as a fraud either way. Either not willing to do what it takes to bring home for his state or his financial boot strap self pulling is broadcast as the lie it is. And it only takes seconds to expose him either way.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:25 am Frankly, if I were a senator from one of those states, I'd tell Paul that I am going to block any aid to his state until he publicly apologizes on the Senate floor and publicly promises to never pull these stunts again.
This is exactly how consequences for bad behavior should work.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:40 am
Except that the people being hurt by not getting prompt aid aren't the ones who did anything wrong.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:48 am
Except that the people being hurt by not getting prompt aid aren't the ones who did anything wrong.
But is it the only way for the rest of the States to get those people out to vote for a decent human? The state can help their own people right now, the people can pressure their senator to act, and then the Fed can give them their aid. It's not like the state can't help them, it just doesn't want to be stuck with the bill.

I love Grifman's idea.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:48 am
I’m torn on that idea. I abhor living under the leadership of Henry “Foghorn Leghorn” McMast-AH, but I also recognize and accept that a large majority of people here voted for his dumb ass.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nothing to see here, just the leader of the GOP going out of his way to endorse a far-right authoritarian famous for racism, kleptocracy, support for Putin, and restriction of civil rights.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nate Silver has lost his goddamn mind. Has he actually listened to Eric Adams talk? Like even 5 minutes?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The moral of the story seems to be that you can fuck with your customers all you want, but don't fuck with the 1%'s money. But we already knew that.

Elizabeth Holmes found guilty on 4 of 11 charges
Elizabeth Holmes was convicted today of three counts of criminal wire fraud and one count of criminal conspiracy to commit wire fraud. The jury delivered its verdict after six days of deliberation.

The government’s victory in the case is a rare rebuke for tech startups, which often pitch investors on their technological prowess and business acumen using wildly optimistic assumptions.

Theranos was, perhaps, an extreme example, raising over $900 million on the back of claims that its proprietary tests were better, cheaper, and less invasive than the competition. None of those claims was true, and unlike many other Silicon Valley startups, the health and safety of patients was on the line.

Holmes was found guilty of defrauding Lakeshore Capital Management (the family office of the DeVoses) of $100 million, PFM Healthcare (a hedge fund) of $38 million, and an LLC connected to Daniel Mosley (Henry Kissinger’s former estate attorney) of $6 million. She was also convicted of conspiracy to commit wire fraud against Theranos investors more generally. On three charges, all alleging wire fraud against investors, the jury returned no verdict. Holmes was acquitted of all other charges, including those that involved defrauding patients. She faces up to 20 years in prison.

With the guilty verdict, Holmes, the founder of the company, is the first Theranos executive to be held criminally responsible for her actions, though she may not be the last.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:02 am The moral of the story seems to be that you can fuck with your customers all you want, but don't fuck with the 1%'s money. But we already knew that.
Yup. They Not Guilty-ed all the fraud charges against the consumers. We build our own prisons.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:02 am The moral of the story seems to be that you can fuck with your customers all you want, but don't fuck with the 1%'s money. But we already knew that.
Yup. They Not Guilty-ed all the fraud charges against the consumers. We build our own prisons.
I mean, that's a tidy narrative, but that's not really what distinguishes this. This case is really exceptional in terms of the evidence of CEO misconduct and involvement. To prove criminal fraud like this you have to prove not only that they were perpetuating a lie, but also that they *knew* at the time that they were perpetuating a lie. 99% of the time that's almost impossible to prove against major company CEOs, because: (1) a lot of the times they drive a truck through areas of ambiguity (the lie won't be something easily falsifiable like "the sky is green", it's "our company fundamentals are strong"); (2) responsibilities are spread among so many people that while they collectively know what's going on, any one person's exposure to the overall scheme is limited; (3) people know not to report the ugly stuff to the top of the food chain.

Here the core lies were of objective facts (claims that their tests worked when they didn't) and probably more importantly there was really good evidence of consciousness of guilt (routing of tests to other company machines, punishment of whistleblowers, direct involvement of Holmes in those lies, etc.).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh totally - I was surprised they got a conviction at all. They did all they could to undermine the 'knowing it was a lie' by dispersing the blame on others and I figured that'd work like it does that 99% of the time (probably needs a few more 9s to be honest). And it seems to me that is still the core story here mostly. The convictions they did get related to the actual transfer of funds and probably the lies told to those specific investors that could be proved as you mention. Everything else got filtered out as the system is designed to do for has been perverted by the elite to protect the elite.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another bit of randomness - is anyone else seeing the stories about the craziness on I-95 in VA? I'm dropping this here because WTF. Apparently a US Senator (Tim Kaine) has been caught in the snow-based traffic jam for a *day*. People are posting now saying they are getting alerts that the authorities will start bringing in emergency supplies to people trapped on the road.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I woke up to that this morning. That she was guilty of defrauding the Amway, it's-not-a-pyramid-scheme-if-only-999-of-1000-people-lose-money, billionaires but not the people she claimed to be diagnosing caught my attention.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:24 am Oh totally - I was surprised they got a conviction at all. They did all they could to undermine the 'knowing it was a lie' by dispersing the blame on others and I figured that'd work like it does that 99% of the time (probably needs a few more 9s to be honest). And it seems to me that is still the core story here mostly. The convictions they did get related to the actual transfer of funds and probably the lies told to those specific investors that could be proved as you mention. Everything else got filtered out as the system is designed to do for has been perverted by the elite to protect the elite.
The other thing that distinguishes this case is that there's a best seller WSJ book laying out in detail the fraud (plus a subsequent documentary). Not only is that super helpful in terms of evidence gathering, but to the extent that anyone at DOJ was getting worried about litigation risk, that provides a counter-balance risk, because if they didn't charge Holmes they'd have to worry about the inevitable WSJ article "Why Didn't the DOJ Charge Elizabeth Holmes?"

Plus I can't imagine that the book didn't hurt Holmes among the jury. Even with all the jury screening that was presumably done, I don't see how it's feasible to prevent the "hey, isn't that the corrupt lady from some book?" creeping into the jury room.

I don't know enough to say why the consumer charges failed, but i have to assume that it's largely related to her not dealing directly with the end users (obviously there are multiple points between her and the lies told to individuals).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't even know how to process what's happening on I-95. I'll be amazed to learn there aren't any fatalities.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Manchin is so old that at his age he is no longer going to vote to keep his job . He isn't afraid to lose it at this stage and wont listen to his voters. He is voting however the highest bidder will pay him to vote. Thats exactly what the GOP had\s done...paid him to vote against what they dont like and he is doing it in front of everyone. The DMC should start now to oust him come next election and get someone in there that fears for their job.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:17 pm Manchin is so old that at his age he is no longer going to vote to keep his job . He isn't afraid to lose it at this stage and wont listen to his voters. He is voting however the highest bidder will pay him to vote. Thats exactly what the GOP had\s done...paid him to vote against what they dont like and he is doing it in front of everyone. The DMC should start now to oust him come next election and get someone in there that fears for their job.
The next senator after Manchin is going to be an R. Hell Manchin may be an R before he leaves.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

We're DOOMED.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:48 pm What. The. Actual. Fuck.

We're DOOMED.
"A state legislator told me..." Yeah, because a lobbyist told him. She's just acting as a mouthpiece for the MIC and doesn't even know it. She thinks she's being insightful.

I'm also not sure what an MRAP or a patrol boat with a mounted .50 would be able to do in this situation.

MYT
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Trump wanted to nuke a hurricane. Think of what the locals could have done about this storm of they were just properly equipped!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:10 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:48 pm What. The. Actual. Fuck.

We're DOOMED.
"A state legislator told me..." Yeah, because a lobbyist told him. She's just acting as a mouthpiece for the MIC and doesn't even know it. She thinks she's being insightful.

I'm also not sure what an MRAP or a patrol boat with a mounted .50 would be able to do in this situation.
They just needed some tanks to "clear a path" probably....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:37 pm Trump wanted to nuke a hurricane. Think of what the locals could have done about this storm of they were just properly equipped!
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

MAGA nation has an unhealthy obsession with all things military and weaponization as a solution for wayyyy too many things. It's sick, disgusting, and dangerous.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:31 pm Feels like this headline pretty much sums up America. A new study says bald eagles are being threatened by spent lead ammunition left in the carcasses they feed on.
As much as I never had a taste for hunting, hunters used to be on the vanguard of conservation. Now there are too many gun crazies who just want to shoot shit and call it hunting.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:12 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:31 pm Feels like this headline pretty much sums up America. A new study says bald eagles are being threatened by spent lead ammunition left in the carcasses they feed on.
As much as I never had a taste for hunting, hunters used to be on the vanguard of conservation. Now there are too many gun crazies who just want to shoot shit and call it hunting.
^^^^^ Only I'll add they want drink and shoot at shit and call it hunting.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

When I rehabbed wildlife, we'd get cases like that in most raptors. Also lots of lead poisoning in waterfowl (mostly Trumpeter swans) that bottom feed lakes and ponds with spent shot on the bottom. When I started it was typically a death sentence, but by the time I stopped a treatment had been developed that was very successful.