Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anyone have any experience with LeafGuard type of gutter systems? The new house gets a lot of leaves in the gutters, and rather than paying someone to come out twice a year to clear them (It's not just fall! In spring all those damn maple whirlygigs will get in there and start sprouting!), I'm wondering if an upfront investment in new/better gutters would be worth it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We had them at our old house. I'd say my review was...mixed.

It certainly prevented a lot of the straw/leaves in the gutter itself, which was nice. It didn't magically prevent that stuff from just piling up on top of my gutter though, so it didn't eliminate that work effort. The other thing it didn't prevent was dirt and sludge falling through and accumulating in the gutter, so I found myself having to rinse the gutters out from time to time anyway.

In summary, they were great at preventing the gutter itself from getting clogged constantly without my intervention. They didn't reduce my work effort as much as I thought they would, however.

The efficiency may also depend on your situation. In my case we had 14 pine trees around the house, so it was non-stop straw CONSTANTLY. That stuff would not just blow off if it was sitting on your roof, which made the guards less productive. I can imagine pure leaves might be a different story, and may not be as prone to just piling up on top of the guards.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:47 pm Well now Im back to looking for that nut size. one video said it called for a 1" but a 15/16 seemed to fit and work. Being so different Im not sure how he managed it.

EDIT: Found this....Using 15/16 in. socket, tighten 5/8 in. blade nut.

Not sure why those sizes aren't the same.

Those aren't abstract numbers. They're fractions of an inch. A 1/4 bolt is one quarter of an inch.

Assuming you're still talking about the 7/8 in nut, it's because 7/8 of an inch is the same as 14/16 of an inch. You're using a 15/16 on a 14/16, meaning that it works, but is 1/16 of an inch too big. For an emergency and an easy to turn nut, no problem. For a tight nut or regular application, it means that instead of putting pressure all the way around the nut (the way the right wrench would), you're only putting the pressure on the edges of the nut (in other words, instead of it fitting perfectly, the flat parts of the wrench are on the pointed parts of the nut.) As He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Allowed-On-The-Carpet mentioned, that will very quickly strip the nut, at which point you'll be dealing having to drill/cut the nut to get it off, or tossing the whole shebang.

Now, if you want to get to absurdity, we could ask why it's really necessary to have so many sizes. If we just stuck to eighths of an inch, we'd have half of the wrenches. Or just went metric.

Or why we still use flat headed screws/drivers when every other variant works better.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:53 amThe other thing it didn't prevent was dirt and sludge falling through and accumulating in the gutter, so I found myself having to rinse the gutters out from time to time anyway.
I've had one gutter guy and one of my friends who has his own roofing company tell me that this is why gutter guards are not great. I thought I would be a great candidate for them (also have lots of pine needles end up on our roof, and in gutters), but they both said the trade-off is not worth it:
1. Dirt and asphalt from the shingles builds up
2. Seeds get in that, and of course sprout things that need to be cleaned out
3. Cleaning them and opening them up is supposedly not fun

Bottom line, according to them: even with guards, you still need to clean your gutters, and they make that process much harder (although maybe hopefully less frequent).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am so fucking beyond done with yard equipment.

Last year I sunk more money into my push mower only to have it shear its shaft off.

Today the chainsaw fuel filter I spent the last of my money on came and I should have just had to take out the old and put in the new. NO uh uh sorry asshole. First I couldn't get the cap off. When I did the thing that holds the cap was missing. So I had to pour out a full saw of gas. Got that piece out and the old fuel filter wasn't even attached. After shaking it out I try to install the new one and the fuel hose is rotten and just keeps splitting and breaking. now its so short I cant get to it. I have NO idea how to fix that. I slung the sob as far as I could into the brush.

Got my rider I bought last year out the other day. Wanted to sharped the 12 year old blades that have never seen a file. Nope no wrench big enough. Also it wont F'n start. Battery bad. Least i can jump that off as much as needed. I KNOW...I F'N KNOW if I buy a socket to remove those blades tomorrow when my monthly check comes something else will fuck up.

Right now Im seething at it al land the world I f'n hate. Im seriously giving up and letting the yard rot. If someone has a problem then they can come do it all.

Not to mention all the fallen logs and limbs and vines I cant physically remove that keep creeping in. my entire back yard is full ..i cant mow it anyways. I wish I could just quit this world. I will take care of my dog .. After that who the fuck cares or knows.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im cleaning up and rearranging the room. Im finding stuff Ive not seen in years. At the same time I cant find stuff that was here a couple months ago. Like I had my Canon digital camera box from 2004 here in the same spot since then. I moved it 3 months ago to keep it safe. Now ive decided to put my camera back in it to store. Cant find the box. Of course not.

Packing up more of my wife's stuff. Stuff thats not been in the way and is just how she last sat it or used it. Harder than I expected it to be after 3 years. Taking me longer too. I work until it gets to me and take a break to cry then get back to it. Its time. Just thought it would be easier than this. And I couldn't afford enough boxes so Im not going to be done in one day after all. So going to have to do this twice. Damnit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A few weeks ago we spotted water on the ceiling outside the pantry, under the second floor bathrooms. Plumber diagnosed it as a bad seal on the kid’s cheap toilet. After fixing that and getting 4 days of drying/sanitization (and filing on the homeowners policy), we had additional water spotting. We’re now paying for a weekend plumber visit to fix a pipe too. At least the ceiling isn’t fixed yet, and we haven’t submitted the full claim numbers yet.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found a piece of my boombox from the 80s that I lost years ago. Didn't recognize it so tossed it i na big box with tons of other stuff. Box is on the bottom. Screw I opened it ....couldn't find it.

So found a lost item and relost it in 5 min. I know what box its in right now...wont when I want it some day. Ill sharpie the box its in lol.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:58 pm A few weeks ago we spotted water on the ceiling outside the pantry, under the second floor bathrooms. Plumber diagnosed it as a bad seal on the kid’s cheap toilet. After fixing that and getting 4 days of drying/sanitization (and filing on the homeowners policy), we had additional water spotting. We’re now paying for a weekend plumber visit to fix a pipe too. At least the ceiling isn’t fixed yet, and we haven’t submitted the full claim numbers yet.
If it makes you feel any better, I would happily trade my leak situation with yours (also had an upstairs toilet overflow situation, but doesn't sound as bad as yours).

I've been battling a leak from an unknown source for years in our sunroom. Ruined two hardwood floors, two drywall...walls, two ceilings, etc. STILL don't know where the freaking water is coming from (and it only does it in pretty extreme wind + rain cases, which is at least once a year). Had the entire roof and underlayment above the area replaced, replaced chimney cap ($1500), and remodel after the first time it happened cost about $15K.

I've had at least 5 different people/companies come and try to find the leak, and no one has been able to (yet all were VERY confident in their assessments as to the origin).

At this point, when it really pours and there's wind, I'm just like "fuck it, it's going to leak in the sunroom" and try to let it go. :D
naednek

Post by naednek »

Building a shed in the backyard so we can our garage in order. So far progress. Roof tomorrowImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As Ive cleaned this room and moved stuff and gotten it more open Ive come to the horrible realization that those tables I hated around the room were damn handy. Now I have no where to sit my hats or the laptop or other items that were on them, It looks better but is totally useless lol.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well took another 7 hours but got another 1/4 of the room done. Just 1/4 more to go.

I moved me PS4 to the tv and my monitor was sitting on it. Now Im looking down at my monitor. Feels weird. Going to ruin my gaming scores for a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats IT. Gaming for the rest of the day for me. Shot my back out on the mower again. Got that socket I ordered last week that fits it. Couldn't turn the bolt. Used both my muscle and the socket wrench and a socket driver that hammers as it turns. Neither could budge the damn bolt even a hair. Got out my WD40...almost empty..got 1 tiny spritz and it died then the button popped off and wouldn't go back on. Flung that sob as far and hard as I could. Then of course the battery is STILL dead on the mower so had to jump it to ram it back in the garage. Screw it.

Sorely tempted to get $5 in kerosene and burn the entire place down. Wont but tempted.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:Building a shed in the backyard so we can our garage in order. So far progress. Roof tomorrowImageImageImage

And complete! Image

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Had a guy come out to give me a quote to replace a sump pump and the battery backup.
$2000
Couldnt get him out of there quick enough.

Alot of people are telling me how easy it is to replace them, but the guy I bought the house from got flooded at some point and after he finished the basement put it every conceivable contraption to ensure it never happens again.
I'm grateful, but it does make for quite the monstrosity and not your average sump setup.
Still....2 grand is at least a grand more than I'd be willing to pay.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We had one in our house . its the only one Ive ever seen in the 4 places Ive lived. I have no idea the cost of a battery backup as we didn't have one. But looking online a sump pump is less than $100. I hate businesses like that asshole.
We had a guy look at our broken well pump and say he'd never seen one not in the well pipe itself. Then said he wouldn't touch it for less than $1200. A friend had a guy they know look at it...10 min later it was fixed and all it needed was a Dcell battery sized starter part that would have been $20 but he didn't charge us.

---------------

As for the mower im gonna call a couple places in town to see if they will come out and sharpen them here at my home since I have no way of getting it anywhere. it also need a battery...may have to keep boosting it off the car until I can afford that. If no one comes out any longer my only other option is ride the mower itself up industrial drive then along the highway to a shop near there.
stessier

Post by stessier »

New Man Cave goals (as if I'll ever actually get one...).

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I gave up on blades being sharp and mowed. Grass was tall and its gonna rain. Had to tear my grass up with the dull blades. I knew it was getting time to mow 2 weeks ago when I started trying to get the blades off to sharpen. They are still on there like they are welded. ^#$%^
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The bad news is Im going to have to buy a 12 volt battery for my lawn tractor as its dead and Im tired of using my car to jump it off. Also Im going to have to buy a fuel line kit and disassemble my chainsaw to fix it. Hope it works afterward lol.

Good news is that I forgot I have $70 left on my Home Depot store credit. So I can get both parts with that. Yay.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 pmThey are still on there like they are welded. ^#$%^
Spray with Liquid wrench, leave on for several hours or overnight if necessary. Then socket wrench + hollow metal bar/tube over the handle for leverage.

Still doesn’t work? Use a longer bar until it does.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant use a bar. The bolt is up higher than the deck. So can only get a small socket wreck in there.

Also...stupid ass Home Depot. Call and ask a question and get put on hold. But instead it tries to transfer me to the next available idiot. 7 min later I hear someone pick up...then simply hang up. Guess they dont want customers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:57 am Cant use a bar. The bolt is up higher than the deck. So can only get a small socket wreck in there.

Also...stupid ass Home Depot. Call and ask a question and get put on hold. But instead it tries to transfer me to the next available idiot. 7 min later I hear someone pick up...then simply hang up. Guess they dont want customers.
This is my experience with ... everywhere now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finally got someone who knew info. A lawnmower battery is the price listed + core fee which is $12. If I bring my old battery in for exchange they still charge me the core fee but then give it right back to me. So stupid.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:48 am Finally got someone who knew info. A lawnmower battery is the price listed + core fee which is $12. If I bring my old battery in for exchange they still charge me the core fee but then give it right back to me. So stupid.
The amount of rage you're carrying around lately isn't healthy. You need to let that shit go.

You literally walk in with your old battery and hand it in at the same time you purchase the new one. It's not like filling out a car loan application.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive noticed I simmer just under my skin. The last week ive beat the shit out of my pc case and wall and desk my pc sits on. I yell and fuss out loud to no one about shit that irks me. No idea why. Been thinking of getting some cbd gummies again to see if they help. Im just angry at the world it seems .
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:08 pm
naednek wrote:Building a shed in the backyard so we can our garage in order. So far progress. Roof tomorrowImageImageImage

And complete! Image

A shed is my next project (as soon as it stops snowing and hailing - Portland, OR, weather is freaking bipolar right now).

That one looks nice. What’s your take? Happy with your selection? How does it rate as far as assembly, storage, sturdiness?

My son and I put together a metal shed from Arrow Sheds as part of his Eagle Scout project last summer. That thing was one of the most annoying projects ever. A billion pieces. Poor machining. Terrible, nearly indecipherable instructions. So, I’m steering away from that option.

I’m deciding between wooden and plastic options now. Also thinking about maybe building one myself. But if I could get a really solid plastic shed that was sturdy and had sufficient storage, I might go for that.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill try the Liquid Wrench. If it works awesome. If it fails I think my only option is to buy a bastard rasp file and try to do it by hand while its still on there. Lots of hard work for my and my back and arm but it might make it a little better.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

More plumbing, but since they’re going to have to drywall opened in a closet where the wall needs be moved 5 inches to give enough space for clothes, we can get that fixed, too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:34 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:08 pm

And complete! Image

A shed is my next project (as soon as it stops snowing and hailing - Portland, OR, weather is freaking bipolar right now).

That one looks nice. What’s your take? Happy with your selection? How does it rate as far as assembly, storage, sturdiness?

My son and I put together a metal shed from Arrow Sheds as part of his Eagle Scout project last summer. That thing was one of the most annoying projects ever. A billion pieces. Poor machining. Terrible, nearly indecipherable instructions. So, I’m steering away from that option.

I’m deciding between wooden and plastic options now. Also thinking about maybe building one myself. But if I could get a really solid plastic shed that was sturdy and had sufficient storage, I might go for that.
I like it. Easy to build. It has reinforcement for snow... I live in Sacramento CA... I probably could have skipped those few steps :D It seems sturdy. It's going to rain tomorrow and Saturday. Plan is to open up and see if I have leaks.

It's not the biggest shed, but I was able to store a lawnmower, 2 kid bikes, two tables. ice chest, 4 stackable containers, and a leaf blower. I'm looking at how I can add in shelving. Their accessories are pretty lame and expensive. I saw a guy put a 2x4 wood on the outside and then secure it to the shed. They put in shelving and attaching that to the 2x4. Won't look pretty, but I didn't buy it for looks.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sounds like a good option: Any chance you can post or message me a link to where you got it?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:07 pm Sounds like a good option: Any chance you can post or message me a link to where you got it?
https://www.costco.com/suncast-6'-x-5'- ... 55097.html

$799 online, but the warehouses have it for $690. I think I paid $660 when I got it. But I noticed it went up a little.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

naednek wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:34 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:07 pm Sounds like a good option: Any chance you can post or message me a link to where you got it?

$799 online, but the warehouses have it for $690. I think I paid $660 when I got it. But I noticed it went up a little.
So funny. In the time it took me to post that and you to respond, I actually did my weekly run to Costco, and what did I see there? Your shed! They have it for $679. I think I'm going to go back (with a bigger car) and grab one. Hope mine goes together as well as your appears to have gone together!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm

So funny. In the time it took me to post that and you to respond, I actually did my weekly run to Costco, and what did I see there? Your shed! They have it for $679. I think I'm going to go back (with a bigger car) and grab one. Hope mine goes together as well as your appears to have gone together!
It's heavy. Get a costco worker to help load, and hope you have someone to help unload :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm

I did some help with the roof (which I probably didn't. I thought it was going to be heavy and awkward so I had preplanned on a neighbor's help with that) The other part I needed help was the sidewalls and having them connected. The rest is just screwing in things.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I should be covered on the help: I’ve got a senior in high school who is going to be my assistant on this one (whether he likes it or not).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:44 pm I should be covered on the help: I’ve got a senior in high school who is going to be my assistant on this one (whether he likes it or not).
Wont his parents miss him?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:40 pm ill try the Liquid Wrench. If it works awesome. If it fails I think my only option is to buy a bastard rasp file and try to do it by hand while its still on there. Lots of hard work for my and my back and arm but it might make it a little better.
You are using an extended (extra long) socket, right? That will allow you to reach the bolt no matter how high up into the deck it is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

no dont have one and cant afford to throw away more money over and over and stuff still not work if I had it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:46 pm no dont have one and cant afford to throw away more money over and over and stuff still not work if I had it.
You probably could get one for a couple of dollars at a Harbor Freight type store.