Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Post by Daehawk »

The storm wit hthe strong winds knocked down my power line to the out building sometime last night. Woke up to find it laying on the ground. Its VERY old and the insulation is crap so I knew better than to touch it before yanking the fuse. Finding that fuse was annoying. I checked them all and none were it. Ive done this ar least 3 times in the past and still forgot I have a small 2nd fuse box in the bedroom opposite the main box in the bathroom. Yep labeled kennel power and all. weeee.

Looking closer though at the line it actually broke the old ceramic anchor so had to use a giant 16 penny or so nail. It promptly bent so if it comes another strong win it will be on the ground yet again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a particular caulk for window panes? My window ac unit in this bedroom has vibrated the ancient caulk almost off this window at my bed and it buzzes and hums SO LOUD. I want to secure the glass in it so it shuts up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just got off the roof. Used to love being on a roof...even this one. Ive been up there over a dozen times or two. But now im a little chicken up there. The back area of the house if barely higher than my head. But once Im up there it feel like 500 feet. I used to simply jump off this roof. Now even with a ladder Im super chicken. Im not sure how Im going to seal my chimney flashing. it pours down in my house down the side of the chimney on a hard rain.

I think when I fell off that 6' gate in 2019 right after my wife passed and I busted both hands and arms it really has shown how fragile Ive gotten in older age. It has scared me I guess. My left arm and hand still hurt even now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:24 pm Is there a particular caulk for window panes? My window ac unit in this bedroom has vibrated the ancient caulk almost off this window at my bed and it buzzes and hums SO LOUD. I want to secure the glass in it so it shuts up.
Nothing specialty. If you want it to be insulating you could use insulating spray foam but you probably want this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-ALEX-FL ... /206034500
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you that looks good. Ill have to find one of my caulk guns. Seems no matter how many you have you can never find one.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

re: deep sockets: hell, you can get a Craftsman branded one for about $3-$4 (make sure you know the size obviously) at uber-expensive (IMO) Lowe's.

Kits of several are a few bucks more.

I'm starting to wonder how you have owned lawnmowers without a deep socket! :P

Also usually necessary for spark plug removal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an email the other day my shopment was delayed then another one a day or so ago saying its running late.

If you look at the shipping details its no wonder its taking so long..they are simply ping ponging it between two states.

April 18, 2022, 2:57 am
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
SAINT LOUIS, MO 63146
Shipping Partner: DHL ECOMMERCE
Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 2:57 am on April 18, 2022 in SAINT LOUIS, MO 63146. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

April 17, 2022, 11:02 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
MABLETON, GA 30126

April 15, 2022, 11:23 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
SAINT LOUIS, MO 63146
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I now have the liquid wrench for the mower blades and the fuel lines for the chainsaw came today. Guess this is the day I go out and see what I can fix or get done.

the mower has a shit battery so will probably have to drag and shove it out...which is not easy like the old days. But I figure Ill spray it and leave it a hour or two then spray it again and try the drill driver on it. If its still stuck Ill spray it a 3rd time and get it back in the out building until tomorrow and repeat.

the chainsaw I dread. you really have to disassemble it and take the carb off too. Not going to be fun. But I hope to have it working by the weekend as stuff is blooming out and greening and once that happens its all so fluffy i cant get to the base of the crap to cut it. And some is in my mowing way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well cant fix the DAMN POS chainsaw. The first step is sim,ply to remove the fucking cover. I CANT. The screws in it are desolved beyond using. So the only way to remove it is to pry it off and break it apart. Ill pass.

Nevber fucking fails..spend money to fix something then cant fix it or something else comes up. $W@^^$%&%^$E#&$%^E&#$%^&$W^&YW$^&W#$^&^$&
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First day as a homeowner? It feels like a never ending game of whack-a-mole dealing with everything that is trying to disintegrate, fall apart, rot, separate and/or fail.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got one of the mower blades off and sharpened and back on. but I can barely use this mouse as my hand and arm are wasted. One to go.

I really need that saw to work. So frustrating. I cant buy another. Man if only money was no issue id buy what I needed or hire what I wanted done.

EDIT: No matter how I tried I couldn't get an angle to get any force behind that other bolt. I hurt my bad arm trying so like Bruce banner I got mad and grabbed the damn mower and threw it over on its side. Easy to get to then. Once I was done the righting it back on its wheels was harder than tossing it over. I am so damn angry at life these days I just lose it.

Going to need a new gas can but cant afford one. My old one leaks in my cars trunk. Im going to try the local thrift / antique store. I think I saw some old metal ones in there. These new plastic ones with the asshole spouts are stupid and high. In the 80s we always just used a milk jug.

EDIT2: Now Im worried...did I put one or both blades on upsidedown? Did I put the washers on right?....Are the blades balanced ok?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Noticed the honeysuckle and trash growing up in my front hedges again so decided enough is enough and they are going bye bye. Got out my fancy hand clippers and got to work. Right near the end I hear a *DING* and look down to see a washer laying there. WTF. Look and the nut is gone from one of the fancy connections. GRR. O M G W T F H. This place is cursed. Must be built on a cemetery and they just moved the headstones. I did find the nut and hand retighten it to finish up. but f'n geez at the shit I go through.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I hate chainsaws because they always seem so cantankerous, so I bought a cheap $19 saw-z-all along with five pruning blades for $9. I bought 9" blades but they make 12" too. Worked pretty well for pruning stuff up to six inches.
two months
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chainsaws are a pita. Always have been. Im still trying to find way to get this plastic cover off....other than simply tearing it apart.If I could afford a battery one Id go get that instead.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:13 pm Chainsaws are a pita. Always have been. Im still trying to find way to get this plastic cover off....other than simply tearing it apart.If I could afford a battery one Id go get that instead.
I just saw my new-ish neighbor using a brand-spanking new electric chainsaw a couple of days ago. I need to get on borrowing terms with him. :)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

naednek wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:13 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:34 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:07 pm Sounds like a good option: Any chance you can post or message me a link to where you got it?
https://www.costco.com/suncast-6'-x-5'- ... 55097.html

$799 online, but the warehouses have it for $690. I think I paid $660 when I got it. But I noticed it went up a little.
So funny. In the time it took me to post that and you to respond, I actually did my weekly run to Costco, and what did I see there? Your shed! They have it for $679. I think I'm going to go back (with a bigger car) and grab one. Hope mine goes together as well as your appears to have gone together!
I did some help with the roof (which I probably didn't. I thought it was going to be heavy and awkward so I had preplanned on a neighbor's help with that) The other part I needed help was the sidewalls and having them connected. The rest is just screwing in things.
Picked up the shed at Costco yesterday. Man, you weren’t kidding about that thing being heavy! Got it home and started looking at instructions online. I see from your pictures you already had a good foundation, building yours on top of what looks like a nice, flat concrete patio. I’m planning to put mine in a corner of my yard on what’s currently grass. Any thoughts on whether to go with a concrete or a wood foundation? I’ve never done a plastic shed before, but I hear that having a good foundation is everything. If you’re not putting it on something flat, stable and level, lining up all the plastic is a bitch, and it tends to settle over time.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:00 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:13 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:34 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:07 pm Sounds like a good option: Any chance you can post or message me a link to where you got it?
https://www.costco.com/suncast-6'-x-5'- ... 55097.html

$799 online, but the warehouses have it for $690. I think I paid $660 when I got it. But I noticed it went up a little.
So funny. In the time it took me to post that and you to respond, I actually did my weekly run to Costco, and what did I see there? Your shed! They have it for $679. I think I'm going to go back (with a bigger car) and grab one. Hope mine goes together as well as your appears to have gone together!
I did some help with the roof (which I probably didn't. I thought it was going to be heavy and awkward so I had preplanned on a neighbor's help with that) The other part I needed help was the sidewalls and having them connected. The rest is just screwing in things.
Picked up the shed at Costco yesterday. Man, you weren’t kidding about that thing being heavy! Got it home and started looking at instructions online. I see from your pictures you already had a good foundation, building yours on top of what looks like a nice, flat concrete patio. I’m planning to put mine in a corner of my yard on what’s currently grass. Any thoughts on whether to go with a concrete or a wood foundation? I’ve never done a plastic shed before, but I hear that having a good foundation is everything. If you’re not putting it on something flat, stable and level, lining up all the plastic is a bitch, and it tends to settle over time.
I would definetly put it on something stable. We were going to put it on a different part of the yard and put in a slab of concrete. But that was going to be expensive as it would have led to a bigger project. We were lucky it fit where we have it now.

The floor pad isn't very thick, and with it being on unleveled or solid ground you will notice. You might also have issues with the walls sliding in the slots and leaving gaps for water to get into.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Yep. That's what I'm figuring, too. I think I'm gonna get a concrete slab put in. I thought about doing it myself and watched some videos. Doable. But not exactly in my wheelhouse. I've never worked with concrete before, and from what I've seen and heard, it's more of an art than a science. I think this is one of those things where I should just bite the bullet and pay someone else to do it. And, it's not like the shed broke the bank (as opposed to the $2K+ wooden ones I had been looking at), so even if I end up shelling out $700-$900 to get a concrete slab put in, I'll still be ahead.

Will report back and let you know how it goes (and what it cost).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Garbage disposal replacement complete.

I may have strained an ab or three and a wrist during the heavy lifting of oddly-shaped things into oddly-positioned places. But everything appears to be working correctly and dryly.

Oh, and turns out the old one had popped the rest button, but given the amount of rust and deterioration on, well, everything, I do not regret installing a new one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:18 am Garbage disposal replacement complete.

I may have strained an ab or three and a wrist during the heavy lifting of oddly-shaped things into oddly-positioned places. But everything appears to be working correctly and dryly.

Oh, and turns out the old one had popped the rest button, but given the amount of rust and deterioration on, well, everything, I do not regret installing a new one.
Congrats! When I did mine, I was surprised at the relative ease of the whole procedure. If I ever get to design my own cabinets, though, I'm going to make sure the entry to that space is as large and unencumbered as I can make it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Between putting in a new sink, drain piping, and a faucet Ive replaced the whole area over time. That is one awkward area to reach and do stuff in and around.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spent more than I should have but got stuff to finally fix some stuff about the house....lightbulbs, caulk, ac coolant for car, ridX, pine sol...odds and ends things I been letting go.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well. Thought I wanted white light. 5000k. I like bright white light. If I turn on a light I want light damnit. But now Im not sure. Maybe should have went with soft white. This is WHITE alright. Like ...well it feels like fluorescent or artificial light somehow. Its weird....its...white.Starkly white light. Its neat. But feels strange. Maybe Ill get used to it. Or Ill get soft white LED bulbs next time.

Im surprised 14w can equal 100w brightness. Its 1500 lumens. WHIiiite.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It's white up in here ya'll!
Montag

Post by Montag »

Replaced the mailbox and mailbox post. I was fortunate I could lever lift the old post and drop a new one straight in the original hole. No concrete work was needed. The funny thing is I am now the only person in the neighborhood who is compliant on the mailbox height per the USPS requirements. Everybody else's mailbox is too low.

I also replaced the high wind furnace exhaust cap on the roof. The wind blew it off after 20 years of service.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:24 pm Well. Thought I wanted white light. 5000k. I like bright white light. If I turn on a light I want light damnit. But now Im not sure. Maybe should have went with soft white. This is WHITE alright. Like ...well it feels like fluorescent or artificial light somehow. Its weird....its...white.Starkly white light. Its neat. But feels strange. Maybe Ill get used to it. Or Ill get soft white LED bulbs next time.
Pure daylight - the sun directly overhead on a cloudless day - is around 5500k-6000k. 5000k is closer to early/late in the day when the sun is shining bright, and yes - fluorescent tubes. I only ever use that range of color around the house on heavily overcast days when I find myself dragging because it's so dark. I can set one lamp to that color to make it a little brighter in the room and wake myself up. I wouldn't use it for normal day-to-day lighting. I use 5000k for backlighting my monitors/TV, and went through a huge hassle finding perfect 5600k (pure white) bulbs for miniature painting. I had to go with photography lighting bulbs to get the right qualities (CFLs to prevent LED flicker, which is only visible on cameras, and the brightness equivalent of about 150 watts.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think Ive always had a yellow to my light. Like the sun. This white white light is neat and bright but weirds me out. Maybe Ill get used to it and want all my light this way.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am Between putting in a new sink, drain piping, and a faucet Ive replaced the whole area over time. That is one awkward area to reach and do stuff in and around.
Plumbing jobs are some of the worst jobs. Especially sinks. Man, contorting yourself to get under the sink, then working above your head, water dripping on your face, every tool you need just out of reach . . . The worst. The fucking worst.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:10 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am Between putting in a new sink, drain piping, and a faucet Ive replaced the whole area over time. That is one awkward area to reach and do stuff in and around.
Plumbing jobs are some of the worst jobs. Especially sinks. Man, contorting yourself to get under the sink, then working above your head, water dripping on your face, every tool you need just out of reach . . . The worst. The fucking worst.
Taking out and replacing alternators or starters on modern vehicles is very comparable to working under a sink. However, the absolute worst is working in a shallow pitch attic in the middle of summer. :wink:
two months
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Opinions on selling price of this.....?

A Kenmore 6' tall upright freezer. Looks like a giant fridge. Its old..Id guess mid 1980s. But is in perfect condition and runs great. Im thinking I might sell it as it was my FiL's and he used it for his canning goods and such. I have no use for it and its taking up space and power. Its been here at least as long as me and Ive been here 34 years.

Looking online a new one at this size is like $2000 so Im thinking of asking $400 - $600. Think I could get that? If not Ill just keep it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:31 pm Its been here at least as long as me and Ive been here 34 years.
Most freezers are expected to last ~20 years. Yours is past it's expected expiration date (getting close to double it), and most people are going to to decide based on how much longer they expect it to function. I'd expect you might get a quarter of what you're asking, if that.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:31 pm Its been here at least as long as me and Ive been here 34 years.
Most freezers are expected to last ~20 years. Yours is past it's expected expiration date (getting close to double it), and most people are going to to decide based on how much longer they expect it to function. I'd expect you might get a quarter of what you're asking, if that.
I'd agree on the $100-$150 being the most you'll get for it, even though it's from a different day & age so it just might run forever.
two months
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 pm
Also, it looks like you may have the one freezer that was still built to last. Keep it!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sorry, Dae. I know you've been trying to sell some stuff from around the house for some extra money, but most of the time you won't find a high-priced item that can solve problems in its own. Your best bet is to sell a bunch of smaller items for a little bit of money each. In other words, have a yard sale.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our one and only toilet failed this morning -- the morning after burrito night. It had to be fixed pronto.

Fortunately, toilet technology achieved its current state of near-perfection many decades ago, making their repair as simple as anything you'll ever encounter. The float valve that I had to replace this morning reached its current state of evolution in the 1950s. A more "advanced" version that stays completely submerged was introduced in the '90s, says the internet, but plumbers avoid it due to its relative complexity and lower reliability.

So, a quick trip to the True Value netted me the exact same make of float valve that I bought last time. Half an hour and $15 later, the toilet was back in the burrito disposal business. Float valves are designed to last five years, and the old one was at least a couple of years beyond that. It's comforting to know that if this one fails in five years, I can easily replace it with an identical part with minimal effort and not much money.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For $15 I'd probably go back and buy another one and keep it hanging in my garage (or basement) for future use. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You should see mine. It leaks a little when full so its constantly refilling just a little. I ended up removing the top and since there is a window behind the toilet I tied a USB cord to the curtain rod and then down to the float which ends in a safety pin. It holds the float up good so no refilling. When I want to flush I just slide the pin to the left and it allows the float down to fill the tank. When full just slide right again to hold up the float and then flush. :)

I can remember helping to install this toilet back around 1990. The one before that was circa 1955.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you could replace the flapper
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:01 pm Or you could replace the flapper
Yeah, then she could come in and hold the pin for you!

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So Friday we had the kitchen gutted and replacement work started. Same basic footprint so this is really more of an update than a remodel, but I am already getting antsy for it to be over. Maybe by July 4th, if the schedule holds.
Black Lives Matter