Marvel Heroes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Marvel Heroes

Post by Paingod »

Rocket Raccoon may be the buggiest character I've played. I've had times where my movement wouldn't trigger and where my turrets wouldn't deploy. The turrets have an Energy damage of 0-0 listed, but they clearly do more than that.

Still, he's a lot of fun. Level 15, no deaths, and every boss has been a cakewalk since they're not targeting me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:I was in MM with Loki and saw the icon's for a big boss battle and decided to steer clear but while crossing the street I got hit by Rhino from off screen
Blob is the one that always does that to me. I hate that guy. They nerfed his hitpoints in the last patch but he's still a pain.
Tao wrote:I definitely want Nightcrawler but debating on waiting for more fixes. Problem is if I wait too long I will hit 600 and then it throws GR into the mix. Decisions decisions.
Hah, I want them both. And Hulk, Ironman, Scarlet Witch, Gambit, Loki, Colossus, Squirrel Girl, Deadpool... well, I want most of them it seems. My odds of getting something I'm interested in playing with random seems pretty good. I figure even if I get a dup on one and the next one is one I want, it still just costs me 350 splinters. A lot of those are 400 splinter heroes so even with a dup tossed in, I feel I'd still be better off with random.
Paingod wrote:I've had times where my movement wouldn't trigger and where my turrets wouldn't deploy.
Yeah, that's a known issue. I've seen complaints about it on the RR forum. Torch also has a problem with one of his abilities. Sometimes it triggers and sometimes it doesn't. Very annoying (and can get you killed). They seem pretty good at regular patches to fix stuff though. Hopefully these kinds of issues are priorities for them.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Add to the Rocket Racoon bugs: Sometimes Energy Barrage animates and fires, but does no damage. Sometimes Energy Barrage refuses to fire.

Man - buggy little guy - but still, a lot of fun. I might be enjoying him more than Colossus and Ghost Rider. He's not as fast through areas as either of them, but the cautious approach he forces means I'm almost always at 100% life and he just mauls bosses with three Turrets, Groot, and Energy Barrage (when it shoots correctly).
Black Lives Matter

McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Leveled Scarlet Witch to 60 over the last couple of days and I have to now list her as a 'main' quality character - ranged. I suppose there's 2, maybe 3 ways to play her, but I chose the full on DOT/AOE route for maximum over time damage (I was able to clear the AIM weapon facility on Cosmic with garbage gear with under 10 deaths - something I can't do on Iron Man in ok gear). What I'm finding, though, is that this is not necessarily the smart way to go for X-Defense post wave 20 or even cosmic terminals. I'm going to stick with this build for a minute and get the mental dmg legendary (using the crit one right now) and a couple pieces of gear and see what happens, but so far - AMAZING character. Absolutely dominates Midtown/legendary quest runs - with reasonably strong survivability post mid 20s.

I'm kind of finding it frustrating that the only character I can reliably do cosmics with any pace is Ms Marvel - and that the games solution to everything is to blow things up as fast as possible, rather than mitigate damage. Small gripe, I figure.
Last edited by McBa1n on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Paingod wrote:Rocket Raccoon may be the buggiest character I've played. I've had times where my movement wouldn't trigger and where my turrets wouldn't deploy. The turrets have an Energy damage of 0-0 listed, but they clearly do more than that.

Still, he's a lot of fun. Level 15, no deaths, and every boss has been a cakewalk since they're not targeting me.
Ya that's a display bug on the turrets. Also, I experienced the same bug in turret deployment. It would only be the first turret I'd try to drop in a skirmish, though. I figured a way around it, but it was a few weeks back, so I may be wrong - but it seemed if I waited a few seconds before deploying them in a fight - which doesn't matter because it's about the length of time of the cooldown, I guess. Odd bug. Also, yeah, he takes a minute to really 'get there'. I figured when I got the BFG skill, that was where he really started coming into his own. It was a game changer. Seems quite a few characters really 'get there' around the mid-late 20s.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I finished leveling my Human Torch to 60 last night. Now to try and get some affixes and whatnot for him. He's certainly fun, though a bit squishy.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

New armor up on TC.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Runeword + Enchants Sneak Peak w/ Pictures

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussi ... w-pictures
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

In March with the Dr Strange patch our characters inventory is suppose to go up by 20 spots for free.
Tao

Post by Tao »

They brought the test server back up yesterday (was down for a few days) and I hopped in and ran NC up a few levels again and have to say I did not come across any bugs so hopefully a fix is heading to live soon. Did not get to mess with Rocket but might want to spend on hour on Test to see if they fixed his bugs as well.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

DarkVulgar wrote:In March with the Dr Strange patch our characters inventory is suppose to go up by 20 spots for free.
I saw that too. I'm assuming that doesn't affect the stash tabs as well? In any case it's a welcome change.

I finished off Dr. Doom tonight with Hawkeye on normal and then ran him around Lower Asgard for a bit until he hit 29. I decided to go ahead and burn another 175 splinters on a random hero and rolled Colossus. He's one of the ones I wanted to play so I'm pretty happy. I think I'll sit Hawkeye for a bit and take him for a spin. :D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Colossus is a lot of fun and just gets right in there deep. His tactics for me really boiled down to Dash, Stomp, Leap. If everything wasn't dead by then, I hammered on it with my fists. Sometimes I'd just Dash over enemies in a zig-zag pattern until they died. For bosses, I tended to open with Wolverine to provide a distraction, but you still have to linger dangerously close.

Rocket Raccoon is proving to be damn hard to kill. I've only been below 50% life once in 24 levels and that was against Magneto. It startled me enough that I actually began deliberate evasive maneuvers and mostly let my turrets and Groot kill him while I took pot shots from the sidelines. Rocket's Defense is the weakest I've seen - it seems to cap around 25-27% damage absorbed, but his shield blocks another 25% and he has a Dodge passive you can invest in, as well as the stealth from his movement ability.

My final build for him is going to be a solid wall of turrets and Groot with passives for dodge and critical and a moderate amount of shielding. The BFG will be my RMB with a point in Neutron Shot to help slow enemy attacks as my basic left-click. The BFG is, hands-down, the most destructive attack he has.

When a power says "Hits twice per second" is that affected by Attack Speed, or are only abilities with a RoF sped up? If Attack Speed doesn't affect the BFG, then the Energy Barrage may be his best attack for outright damage, but it doesn't hit a cone.

To avoid spending money on another stash tab, I've started taking items I want to keep "long term" that are character specific and turning them into Ghost Rider or Colossus items - it keeps the stats, but wipes the bind and makes it so I can put it into character specific storage, which is far less expensive than general slots.
Black Lives Matter

McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Just a heads. Sat/Sun/Mon you should get a gift of an uru item + some runes. I thought it was 1 of each - each day, but I only received an uru item today. Also, RIF/SIF are boosted 100%. My advice is park your butt in X-Defense and get them runes! I'm getting slightly less than 2 per run, but I'm also using a 50% or 100% booster - or both. There's some really neat enchants/runewords that went in with the patch yesterday.
Tao

Post by Tao »

McBa1n wrote:Just a heads. Sat/Sun/Mon you should get a gift of an uru item + some runes. I thought it was 1 of each - each day, but I only received an uru item today. Also, RIF/SIF are boosted 100%. My advice is park your butt in X-Defense and get them runes! I'm getting slightly less than 2 per run, but I'm also using a 50% or 100% booster - or both. There's some really neat enchants/runewords that went in with the patch yesterday.
Yeah did some X-Def with Scarlet Witch last night to take advantage and got bunch of runes and 3 or 4 Uru-Forged (all level 50) plus several cosmic and uniques (no upgrades sadly). Goodbye extra inventory space it was nice while it lasted. :(

So far Scarlet Witch is my most efficient X-Def hero. Hit a big group with my lifetapping DoT and then teleport into the middle and throw up my giant bubble which deals great damage and reduces incoming damage by 50% for my teammates while it's running. I also throw out a smattering of projectile deflection bubbles and the AOE confuse in a pinch. I really need to be doing X-Def with Loki as he is my main but I just don't feel as if I am contributing as much to the group with him.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I hear you.

X-Def with Ms Marvel makes me feel like I'm not helping the group much. I blast a bunch of photonic waves for the stun and warbird charge for the buffs to nearby heroes but I feel squishy and slow at killing which is the opposite of my experience with her in the story content and Midtown patrols. Probably what I should do is respec to a more deadly ranged attack for X-Def even if I love wave for its trash clearing abilities most of the time. I'll be away from home until late tonight but I might try a few rounds of X-Def with my level 37 Cage just to see if the squishiness is MM or just X-Def.

I really wanted to keep my spending on this game down to a one time purchase the get Ms. Marvel but I feel a stash tab coming soon to store runes. Do they count as grafting gear so that they can go in a crafting stash tab?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Madmarcus wrote:Do they count as crafting gear so that they can go in a crafting stash tab?
Yes, along with the various costume cores and ores etc.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:Yeah did some X-Def with Scarlet Witch last night to take advantage and got bunch of runes and 3 or 4 Uru-Forged (all level 50) plus several cosmic and uniques (no upgrades sadly). Goodbye extra inventory space it was nice while it lasted.
I've been doing a lot of X-Def too with Torch and have had about the same luck. I swapped out my 25% RIF on my costume for 20% SIF to try and get more runes. It seems to work because I have two rows of them now. Some seem harder to get than others. For example I have 4 hail runes but I need a fire rune and a bow rune and haven't seen either one. I wonder how many types there are total? In any case I had to buy a new stash tab just for runes. Maybe that's their plan. I'm sure the runes are going to drive the need for more space for everyone.

In spite of me swapping RIF for SIF I still found 6 uru items last night and today and also 3 uniques and about 10 cosmic items. My whole Torch stash tab is now full of uniques and cosmics. I hope they bring that Starktech thing online soon so I can get rid of this stuff. I also have a row and a half of uru items but most are the chest and helmet pieces. I did find a bow, a sword and a few belts though. I also finally found a Pym's Shrinking Serum at long last today. Those things are rarer than hen's teeth.

I'm not sure quite what SIF does for you other than runes. I've never found fortune cards, boosters, or get extra splinter drops since the swap. Maybe it needs to be a lot higher but, outside of boosters, I fail to see how you can get it high enough to matter much.

Man, X-Def gets really tough once you hit 60. When In the 50's you can regularly hit wave 20 plus. One time I made it to 27. At 60 though, you do good to make it to wave 16 or so. Things get insanely hard to kill then. Still, it's fun. This really is a fun game.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Madmarcus wrote:I hear you.

X-Def with Ms Marvel makes me feel like I'm not helping the group much. I blast a bunch of photonic waves for the stun and warbird charge for the buffs to nearby heroes but I feel squishy and slow at killing which is the opposite of my experience with her in the story content and Midtown patrols. Probably what I should do is respec to a more deadly ranged attack for X-Def even if I love wave for its trash clearing abilities most of the time. I'll be away from home until late tonight but I might try a few rounds of X-Def with my level 37 Cage just to see if the squishiness is MM or just X-Def.

I really wanted to keep my spending on this game down to a one time purchase the get Ms. Marvel but I feel a stash tab coming soon to store runes. Do they count as grafting gear so that they can go in a crafting stash tab?
Stick with it. If you are fortunate enough to get her geared out, she's a beast on single targets - which is HUGE in the later phases. Also, her AOE isn't terrible, it's sub-par, but good enough on trash. I'd also recommend the uru-forced armor piece. It's probably the best for every single character anyway.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

2 handy links on runes:

Full list by rarity (40 total I believe):
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discuss ... els#latest

Also, an interesting hook to runes - some drop only on certain days or something like that, I'm not positive:
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discuss ... nes#latest

After farming the heck outta x-defense all day and burning most of my boosters, it becomes pretty clear which ones are common. I only have 25 or so different ones and I'm missing all of the 'super difficult' ones and only have a couple of the ones on the tier below that. So at least it's challenging, but not impossible (which certain runes seemed liked in Diablo 2).
40 runes is a friggin lot, though. I don't see how you can get by without extra stash space. It's pretty silly how many 'keeper' items there are + the forthcoming 'stark tech', which appears to add even more burden on needing space. I'm not happy with how much I've spent on the game - but inventory space really makes things easier - and it's incredible how fast extra space fills up with leftover uniques and uru forged items and such, that will probably be useful come stark tech.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rocket Raccoon has fallen ... at level 30 Loki killed me not once, but twice. The first time I was simply surprised, the second I got dragged into a world of hurt and couldn't escape. I suppose my only tip for myself there would be "Don't use all your power, save some for Movement Power to escape a lethal situation and let Groot do most of the work, no matter how long it takes."
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:Rocket Raccoon has fallen ... at level 30 Loki killed me not once, but twice.
Loki is the toughest boss fight. Especially at 30. If you went in not knowing the tricks of the fight and only died twice, I'd say that's damn impressive. In the first phase, you have to kill all his mirrors in order to damage him. If you do that he goes down pretty quick. In the second phase he will be surrounded by a big red donut of force. Either stay in the center with him or on the outside. Don't get caught in the red. When the green circle pops up you can take refuge from damage inside it. That's about it. I didn't even try to kill him at 30. Like I said, pretty damn impressive. Wear those 2 deaths with pride. :D

There are apparently 38 runes in the game currently, ranging from very rare to very common. A new stash tab will be needed by everyone if you want to collect and use all of them.

I had something odd happen in X-Defense last night. I got a buff somehow for 60 minutes for 25% SIF. I didn't find or use anything so what gives with that? Anyone know?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I can't say I knew the tricks - just that I needed to spam lots of damage. I always killed the Mirror Images out of disdain for their extra damage and because they went down quick. I stood in the green circle because - well - it told me to, but I had no idea what it did so I wouldn't linger there if danger came. I appreciate the info.

I didn't know 30 was early for him. I was just riding the wave through the game and nothing had really slowed me down or given me pause before him. Even Doom was a cakewalk at level 27. Loki just takes up too much space with his red ring and summons things that don't die quickly and use a lot of dash/grab attacks. It was his second phase that got me.

RR is up to 36 now with no additional deaths and cruising through Act 3 Heroic. I've spent a lot of time in X-Denfense and am curious how others managed the inventory situation in there. I've taken to running to the storage locker any time there's a battle near there and simply Shift-Dumping everything I can and then returning to the fray. Initially, I pick up any Blue/Purple/better items and by Wave 10 I'm picking up purples and throwing blues to the ground. I do this because I can never tell how long my team will manage to hold their ground. I don't think I've been past Wave 16 before.

I've accumulated a few Runes, but I agree that you need a new storage tab for them - thankfully, they fit into the Crafting storage bins (the least expensive ones) just fine and do stack, just not by default. I don't think I've got enough to put together anything worth trying and my Rune Enchanter is only level 5.

My newest Random is Ms Marvel. I'm somewhat confused by her. She looks like a strange cross with 1/2 melee, 1/2 ranged, and a few passives. I'm not sure what to do with her, so she'll sit there and be level 1 for a while.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:My newest Random is Ms Marvel.
You lucky dog! She's supposed to be one of the very best heroes in the game. Here's what someone over at Broken Forum said about her:
•Ms. Marvel punches, shoots, explodes, and dashes all over the place, and she's good at all of them, while tanking anything that you can throw at her. She's one of the most versatile characters in the entire game. Her only bad power is Photon Punch. Please do not spec into the Sparklefists of Shame.
Paingod wrote:I've spent a lot of time in X-Denfense and am curious how others managed the inventory situation in there.
I've stopped picking up anything in there other than uniques, cosmics, uru forged, artifacts, runes, lunar dragons/lanterns, and core mods. And splinters of course. At the end when the map is about to close, I'll run around and pick up any garbage purples laying around to fill up.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Good to know ... but I'm still not sure what to do with her. Colossus was very straight-forward - DASHBASHBASH (repeat). Ghost Rider was less so, but works at range. Rocket Raccoon seems to have 1 viable build - Turrets + Groot + BFG. I'm beginning to feel like I need to play each successive character 'better' than the one before. I'm looking at her power sets and going "Aw, geeze, Do I run in, or do I shoot, or do I dash? I don't know..." :P

What happens when you hit 60 and do the character reset, aside from a name color change?

I've only seen people assuming that it resets the death counter, and not confirming it. The language on the reset item seems to indicate that you "keep your items" but I assume this doesn't mean you get to wear them until you're level appropriate to them again.

I've been storing gear in my character inventories for the time when they do roll over, so I don't have to hunt for the best items and keep just a selection of the best I've found from different level ranges, like 1 for each slot bunch for 25-30, and 1 for each slot for 31-35.

Another tidbit that's baffling to me is that this game has a Metascore of 58 and I'm lovin' it. There's not a whole lot wrong, and it would be a lot of fun to play even if I hadn't spent money on inventory space.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:I'm looking at her power sets and going "Aw, geeze, Do I run in, or do I shoot, or do I dash? I don't know..."
I always like to look at the Gaz forums when I get a new character to see which builds work and which don't. A little research can save a lot of frustration later.
Paingod wrote:What happens when you hit 60 and do the character reset, aside from a name color change?
Nothing as far as I know. It's a colored name which is an epeen measure only as far as I can tell. I certainly have no plans to do it.
Paingod wrote:Another tidbit that's baffling to me is that this game has a Metascore of 58 and I'm lovin' it. There's not a whole lot wrong, and it would be a lot of fun to play even if I hadn't spent money on inventory space.
From what I've gathered, the game had serious issues on release and a lot of the features in there now were missing. It wasn't a lot of fun to play. Gaz has made HUGE strides with the game over the past year (which is also the reason I started playing it recently). Also, Metascore is a crap way to gauge how good a game is.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ColdSteel wrote:
Paingod wrote:What happens when you hit 60 and do the character reset, aside from a name color change?
Nothing as far as I know. It's a colored name which is an epeen measure only as far as I can tell. I certainly have no plans to do it.
I don't know. I've been enjoying the climb with RR quite a bit and wouldn't mind starting him over at all. My only hope is that I can melt off those two deaths in doing so. I'm trying damn hard to keep him from dying so I can get some effect out of the Blood relics.
Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I play her as a ranged character versus trash (mostly her basic cone aoe) with dash and melee versus bosses. I don't know if its optimal but its fun. My only real complaint right now is that I have no way to really test a separate build. I'd love a website that allowed you to plug in points similar to the ones for Path of Exile or TSW.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Madmarcus wrote:My only real complaint right now is that I have no way to really test a separate build. I'd love a website that allowed you to plug in points similar to the ones for Path of Exile or TSW.
Marvel Base has a character builder there is also the Test Center to experiment with builds.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Tao wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:My only real complaint right now is that I have no way to really test a separate build. I'd love a website that allowed you to plug in points similar to the ones for Path of Exile or TSW.
Marvel Base has a character builder there is also the Test Center to experiment with builds.
Test Center is great for playing with builds. You can buy every character for 1G and Respecs for 1G - and you get 10000G to start there. There are also chests for 1G that grant 5 Unique and 5 Cosmic items for that character. In effect, you can jump to 60 and get geared up and try out a bunch of powers in terminal missions. You just need an extra 15GB of space on your hard drive and to wait about a week before they copy your account over (I think every week they reset Test and clone accounts to it).

I talked my wife into trying the game and she picked Ms. Marvel because she wants a strong melee female character. I ended up buying Cable so I could be a ranged assist for her and kind of stay 'out of the way'.
Black Lives Matter

RuperT

Post by RuperT »

How about a chamber where your characters can be artificially exposed to peril?
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well let's see, it took me 8 days after getting Colossus to earn enough splinters for another random hero. This time I rolled Gambit. He's a hero I've actually always liked a lot but he's due for some changes real soon so I may park him until then. I can't say I've really been disappointed with any of my random heroes so far. And a new hero every 8 days absolutely free works just fine for me. Even if I get something I'm not thrilled about, a new one is always just around the corner.

Colossus has been very fun to play. He's level 41 now and will probably be my second character to 60.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ColdSteel wrote:I can't say I've really been disappointed with any of my random heroes so far. And a new hero every 8 days absolutely free works just fine for me. Even if I get something I'm not thrilled about, a new one is always just around the corner.
Until you start getting the same ones you already have :P Then you're just getting low-cost Ultimate Power upgrade tokens.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:Until you start getting the same ones you already have.
That's true. However, with 29 heroes total and me having just 5 of them now, my odds of that happening on my next roll are around 17%. Conversely, I still have about an 83% chance of getting one I don't have. Of course the odds get worse each time but they are also going to be adding new heroes as well soon (like Dr. Strange) which pushes the odds back up some again. At some point it will be more effective to just save the splinters for the ones I want but for now I will roll with the odds. I've already found another 115 splinters since Saturday so it doesn't take long. I find rolling a new hero and not knowing which one it will be kind of an exciting gamble. Maybe that's why I like Gambit so much. :D
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Haha, it looks like the new Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel movie will star Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

Pretty cool new trailer just came out.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

So I've been leveling up characters to 50 like a mad man (more so than normal, being mad already and that) and here's a brief write up on each.

Thing - Suffers from same problem all melee characters have. Too squishy for a tankish character, but still quite durable. A very fun character to play, but not good enough to be a 'main'. Has to rely too heavily on one buff to get his damage going. Can be played with about an average/below average pace due to mediocre mobility (spirit pool is a big factor in this). I had a blast getting him to 50 - for a melee. But sheesh, sometimes you just feel overwhelmed with him. No spirit - nowhere to run to - and without the clobberin time buff.. And weak damage to follow. He dies way more than he should, but part of that is me taking huge risks with him.

Wolverine - I figure Wolvie is probably the most fun pure melee character (Daredevil and Colossus are the 2 I have not played yet) that I've played so far. His mobility is fantastic, with spirit being it's largest limiting factor. He just wrecks things straight up. There's enough variety in attacks to get what you want - be it single target or close ranged AOE. If melee wasn't as undesirable as it is now in game, he'd be in the 'main rotation'. He plays at a really fast pace, I like that.

Spiderman - Plays similar to a hybrid Ms Marvel, but with more tools and requires a bit more cleverness than brute force. His biggest flaw is dodge is not a dodge in game and he gets wrecked very quickly if you're not very careful. His damage is a big mediocre, also - but sheesh he's a blast to play. I'm playing him hybrid and loving it. Great mobility, can be played with a very quick pace. If spec'd right, can just wreck bosses and be quick enough to avoid 'the big hits'. One thing that is highly under-rated on Spidey is his AOE. It's fantastic. If dodge were still a proper dodge, he'd probably be my 'main'.

Nightcrawler - 'ranged melee' is about what I figure him to be. Fun as heck. Plays really fast and is a well designed character overall. Being squishy is his biggest limitation. He also has several different 'viable' specs, which make him even more interesting. I raced him to 50 - so I'm interested to see how he plays at 60. Definitely want to revisit.

Punisher - He was a starter character, but I bought Jean Grey and he was no longer necessary. He's a good starter character. Very simple. Very bland. I think I'm playing him wrong because he was the slowest from 40-50 on any character I've played. If he's out-gunned, he's very challenging to play but has the tools to stick around and grind out a victory - but sheesh it can take awhile on some bosses. He needs some help in the 30-50 range. I've played with Punishers in the 60s and they seemed solid. I just don't see it whilst playing him. He's great one moment, horrible the next. He's disappointing and awesome all in one character. He really could use a redesign I think - he just lacks depth of quality options.

Rocket Raccoon - Still very fun to play, although I grew dreary of him in the 30s initially. He can do things some characters can't in Midtown (or bosses) because of all of his towers/Groot + burrow. I find myself running around looting rather than shooting. That is cool for a change of pace. That's the thing, though. What takes him a minute - Iron Man does in 1 skill useage practically. Result is the same, but you have to work a LOT more. I'm still learning to manage his spirit better for quicker clearing. I'd like to try him on cosmic terminals @60. I'd also like to learn how to play him better. He's ranks high on the 'fun factor' for sure - but the powergamer is me is dubious come 'end game'. I likely will come back and see what he's like @60.

Squirrel Girl - quietly a character I'd like to see in the 'end game' to see what she's made out of. It's relaxing to play her because it's so dang easy. I cruised to 50 in no time with her because she's either great in the melee game and/or the ranged game - and she has pets! Probably one of the more powerful leveling characters, but I don't see her enough in 'end game' content to have a full opinion. I just facerolled content without even coming close to dying. Squirrelpocalypse is a very funny skill and sheesh it destroys everything. Pretty fun character to play, but she makes me feel so creepy when I play her (pedobear and that).

Cable - HUGE damage, over long periods of time. He plays like Scarlet Witch without the survivability and a kick ass gun. He's a character I really want to like, but it's just all dots, no burst - and lots of patience/avoidance. He can be played at a fast pace, but his damage cannot. He can get into trouble and die pretty easily if you're not paying attention - 1 quick teleport usually does the trick. Since you're constantly spamming DOT skills, it requires a lot of management of where you have bad guys chasing you to get maximum damage. He gets the job done, but his fun factor is very low because it always comes down to stacking as many dots as you can and praying you don't get hit too much. It's a shame - like I said... I really want to like him and play him, but he's just doesn't feed the powergamer in me well enough.

Human Torch - Inconsistently fun character. The way I played him was to be as mobile as possible and drop AOE bombs as much as I could. He suffers from really bad survivability. I just don't 'get' how to play him correctly or with any pace. I'm clearly doing it wrong. I got frustrated with him and was happy to get 50 with him finally. I can't really have much opinion on him because I never figured out how other people play him so well.

Next up - Thor and Daredevil woo

EDIT:

Adding:
Daredevil - Suffers from the same things all other melee characters do. I would've LOVED to have played him a few months ago. He's actually quite enjoyable in spite of a very subpar reputation. His AOE skill is pretty dull and a bit awkward to use - but other than that? He's part Black Panther and part Luke Cage/Wolverine (or at least can be). I had to really push myself to see what he is capable of - and it's quite impressive. He is getting a rework that should go live in a week, so everything will change - but as it stands now, he's like Wolverine or Luke Cage - good enough to be a 'main' if you enjoy melee characters. For me - he just 'misses' being in the rotation. If spec'd correctly - he has a BEAST boss killer combo. Couple triple strike with his +attack speed passive and he maybe kill bosses quicker than Cage - it's close. I'm eager to see the redesign because he really was a lot of fun to truck to 50 in a day. I stacked him with speed relics and while maybe I would've had more benefit with +defense, +health or +health on hit - it was actually speed that made him easier to play and get out of difficult situations.
Last edited by McBa1n on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RR is a lot of fun - I got sucked into State of Decay, but RR is where I left off and RR is where I'll get back into it. I love his turrets and Groot. I got him up to 45 if I recall and wasn't not having fun at any point in time.

I had found 4 Uniques for him and he had 400+ Spirit to work with and I was focused on trying to get him Critical chances & damage - with a 25% chance to crit and a +178% damage - as well as Pet Damage/Duration/Health (a lot of his Uniques add to his Summoned Allies). I was a damage hose with the BFG in most fights for a really long time. Gravity Mine is a great single-point skill since it increases your damage by 10% and tugs things into a better position for BFG smearing.

For common foes, I tended not to bother with the turrets - just Gravity Mine & tap BFG and they all died. If there was even a single Elite, I'd drop turrets - S, D, F, G - and then Gravity/BFG until I could drop S & D again, and then S once it refreshed. I enjoyed being able to "Set up Shop" in an area of Midtown and having hordes spawn on me and get mauled by the turrets over time - high efficient use of them. They're also highly efficient in X-Def, where waves keep coming and coming and you can drop them in the middle of the students to help protect them and just refresh them periodically.

One cool thing is that his Uniques can add to his Summons not just damage, but added effect. One Unique gave the Shield Generator turret an added effect of healing health per second as well as deflecting projectiles or slowing them down, so you'd regenerate slowly during the fight.

One thing RR doesn't get much of is Health Regen. Lots of defense between his armor, personal defense shield, good Dodge percentages - but you don't Regen on your own easily.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I've been on a big push to get my Colossus to 60 and have been racking up the splinters since I rolled Gambit on Saturday. I hit 175 splinters again today and again rolled the dice on a random. This time I hit the jackpot with Iron Man. He's a 600 splinter hero and one I've really been hoping I would get lucky and roll up. He's supposed to be one of the top tier heroes and I had been keeping his heartbreaker costume sitting in my stash hoping I'd get him sooner rather than later. I'd actually thought about just buying him with cash but he's so expensive and 600 splinters is a lot to save up. So I'm thrilled with my luck this time and even if I get a crappy random hero roll the next time around, I still figure I'm still way ahead.

My Colossus is 55 now and I'm going to have to force myself to level him on up to 60 for the extra XP bonuses because I'm really itching to take Iron Man for a spin.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

ColdSteel wrote:I've been on a big push to get my Colossus to 60 and have been racking up the splinters since I rolled Gambit on Saturday. I hit 175 splinters again today and again rolled the dice on a random. This time I hit the jackpot with Iron Man. He's a 600 splinter hero and one I've really been hoping I would get lucky and roll up. He's supposed to be one of the top tier heroes and I had been keeping his heartbreaker costume sitting in my stash hoping I'd get him sooner rather than later. I'd actually thought about just buying him with cash but he's so expensive and 600 splinters is a lot to save up. So I'm thrilled with my luck this time and even if I get a crappy random hero roll the next time around, I still figure I'm still way ahead.

My Colossus is 55 now and I'm going to have to force myself to level him on up to 60 for the extra XP bonuses because I'm really itching to take Iron Man for a spin.
You DID hit the jackpot. He takes until the mid/late 20s to get going, but once he does? Oh baby. Nice, man.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Bah, I put in a number of boring hours to get the last few splinters and buy a random only to get burned with torch. He's so very soft and squishy and not appealing at all.

I think my boredom with the game is that it's too easy. Does it get harder past 20? I thought juggernaut at least would be a challenge but nope, a wimp like the rest.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

ibdoomed wrote:Bah, I put in a number of boring hours to get the last few splinters and buy a random only to get burned with torch. He's so very soft and squishy and not appealing at all.
Maybe you're in luck because it appears that his Level 52 review goes live in the patch today. Perhaps that will address some of the things that bother you about him. A good build does make a difference but he is a bit of a glass cannon. He was my first hero and I leveled him to 60 and enjoyed it. If you spec him right he's the king of AoE destruction and I found him a blast to play. You just wreck everything in story mode. It does get a lot tougher when you hit 60 though and he's a little too squishy for the end game stuff for me.
ibdoomed wrote: think my boredom with the game is that it's too easy. Does it get harder past 20?
The story bosses are easy. If you're looking for more challenge then I'd try some of the red terminals now that you are getting close to unlocking them (terminals unlock somewhere around level 20 I think). I think purple terminals are supposed to be for parties but you can try that if you want something super tough. Then there's X-Defense which gets tougher as you advance through the waves (but the loot is great). You tend to die a lot in X-Defense though with some heroes since it's easy to get one-shot by bosses on the higher waves. At 60 you can try the cosmic terminals which are super tough. You need some good gear for those though. I'd say there is plenty of challenge but don't look for it in the main story (except for the Loki boss of course). Of course they are also planning on adding raids and other end game content at some point.