Humble Bundles

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Zenn7

Re: Humble Bundles

Post by Zenn7 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm i think i read if you signed up with the discount and you pause, you lose the discount from there on out?
No idea, I'm on the classic plan with no special discount. I just pause, pay my $12 on the months I want (or forget). Though I do find that if I pause I often get offered a 2-4$ discount to not pause (so I usually save that on those rare months I do intentionally not pause).
this is what i was referring to:

anyhow, at $6.62/month (state sales tax added) for six months, i re-upped the subscription. there's usually at least one game per month that's worth at least that much.
Ah - glad you find something worth that much every month. I have relatively narrow (not JeffV level narrow, but more so than most on here I think) of games that I'm interested enough in to pay $6 for. Most months there is nothing I would pay $1. Few that I'd even be interested in for free. That is not a ding on their bundles, just a reflection of my interests in games.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

There is a Holiday in Space bundle on humble currently. Amongst other things, it has Siege of Centauri. If anyone picks this up and doesn't want that game, I'd take it (might have some games I could give in return or something if it helps).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

FYI - cleaning out my September humble bundle keys - if you get a message from me on Steam with a key, that's what they're from (figure I might as well start by giving them to people who want them). I'll throw the rest up in the free game thread when I'm done.

Happy holidays all!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:40 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm i think i read if you signed up with the discount and you pause, you lose the discount from there on out?
No idea, I'm on the classic plan with no special discount. I just pause, pay my $12 on the months I want (or forget). Though I do find that if I pause I often get offered a 2-4$ discount to not pause (so I usually save that on those rare months I do intentionally not pause).
this is what i was referring to:
[IMAGE REDACTED]

anyhow, at $6.62/month (state sales tax added) for six months, i re-upped the subscription. there's usually at least one game per month that's worth at least that much.
Ah - glad you find something worth that much every month. I have relatively narrow (not JeffV level narrow, but more so than most on here I think) of games that I'm interested enough in to pay $6 for. Most months there is nothing I would pay $1. Few that I'd even be interested in for free. That is not a ding on their bundles, just a reflection of my interests in games.
Ah, I see... those of us on Classic plans (10 games a month for $12) can't take advantage of the Premium (usually 9 for $19.99) discounts while our Classic subscriptions are active. $6 for six months is pretty sweet value, but being able to keep Classic indefinitely and pause it when desired also has a lot of potential value. I guess it's a question of whether we can expect to see deals on Premium this good twice a year. Or as was suggested, sign up for a second account if they'll let you do that.

But full price for Premium works out to like $28 a month CAD right now, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay that for what they've been offering most months.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Correct. This is why I don't ditch my classic plan even though it is $132.
I have but one advocate.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:09 am There is a Holiday in Space bundle on humble currently. Amongst other things, it has Siege of Centauri. If anyone picks this up and doesn't want that game, I'd take it (might have some games I could give in return or something if it helps).
Gave away some of the games I had in mind, rest are up for free in PIFF thread. As that's not much incentive, if anyone picks this up and doesn't want Siege of Centauri, I'd be willing to buy it for a couple bucks.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

January bundle:

PC Building Simulator
Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey
Pathologic 2
Warhammer Chaosbane
Total Tank Simulator
Song of Horror
Not Tonight
Vampire : The Masquerade Shadows of New York
Tales of the Neon Sea
Minoria
Deleveled
The Ambassador Fractured Timelines
Heeey! Park-Boy

Huh. I will actually get this one - first one I've wanted in months.

Pathologic 2 is an obvious one for any fans of Ice Pick Lodge, and was on my wishlist. As was Total Tank Simulator and Ancestors. If I didn't already have them I'd also be buying this for Not Tonight and PC Building Simulator. Some of the rest look intriguing too, like Song of Horror and Tales of the Neon Sea.
I no longer post here.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Just finished Song of Horror a couple of weeks ago.
Pretty good game for that genre.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and i just re-upped my subscription, but i don't have much interest in this month's selection. going back to my original quesiton, wonder if i can pause and still keep it for $6/month?

EDIT: the answer is no

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

FYI: Humble is currently offering Bomber Crew for free.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Humble has a very nice Board Gaming bundle on, which includes Terraforming Mars and Blood Rage in it's $10 tier, among other board games:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/asmo ... op-2gether
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:01 pm Humble has a very nice Board Gaming bundle on, which includes Terraforming Mars and Blood Rage in it's $10 tier, among other board games:

If anyone gets this bundle and doesnt want/need blood rage, I'd be happy to toss a couple bucks your way for it.
Thanks!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

February Choice Bundle 2021 actually had a few i wanted, and one on my wishlist:

Valkyria Chronicles 4
Moving Out
Trine 4
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hmm, yeah, this one appears to have both quality games and be great value considering the retail prices of some of these games are still above $30. Guess I'd better finally play the original Valkyria.... But this has Endless Space 2 too, which I don't have yet. Moving Out is supposed to be indie physics fun. Trine 4 got good reviews. May not be anything I'm dying to play, but definitely stuff I've wanted in my library.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:01 pm Humble has a very nice Board Gaming bundle on, which includes Terraforming Mars and Blood Rage in it's $10 tier, among other board games:

Be sure to check the fine print. "Game of Thrones: The Board Game" is a coupon for 30% off the game, and not the actual game itself. I almost pulled the trigger just to get that one...until I realized it was just a coupon. :lol:

It's still tempting for Splendor, the Smallworld xpacs, and Blood Rage. We'llsee...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'd love to try most of these games in real life, but like many I imagine, I've often felt that digital board games kind of defeat the point. Video games have superseded physical games outside of the physicality and social aspects, so why would I want a digital representation of a board game, especially one that I've never experienced in the flesh? Though I suppose there are of course exceptions for very good implementations and online play, if that's something you're interested in. Or even being able to play against A.I. if you don't know anyone who'd like to play locally, or gave no gaming friends. Or to demo a game before buying the physical version.

Why post when I can just have both sides of the debate in my own head? 8-)

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:46 am I'd love to try most of these games in real life, but like many I imagine, I've often felt that digital board games kind of defeat the point. Video games have superseded physical games outside of the physicality and social aspects, so why would I want a digital representation of a board game, especially one that I've never experienced in the flesh? Though I suppose there are of course exceptions for very good implementations and online play, if that's something you're interested in. Or even being able to play against A.I. if you don't know anyone who'd like to play locally, or gave no gaming friends. Or to demo a game before buying the physical version.

There are a rare few, such as the digital version of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, where the physical version provides spectacular gameplay and mechanics but otherwise tends to be time-consuming to set up and a bit of a chore to take care of the upkeep. So being able to play the game digitally and have the CPU take care of the fiddly set up and handle all of the necessary upkeep provides a terrific enhancement and makes for a more comfortable and enjoyable overall experience.

So one might ask, "why not just play a Sid Meier Civ PC game instead of Through the Ages?" Perhaps because you want a game that has competent AI capable of playing the game well, using the exact same rules as you, and presenting a significant challenge. Or because you can play a full game of Through the Ages in less than an hour, yet it still does a superb job of replicating the story of creating a civilization and capturing the scope of seeing it grow from the age of antiquity all the way up through to the present day. Sometimes you want a game that has Civ-like elements that doesn't necessarily take multiple days to play. Or perhaps because it includes built-in asynchronous multiplayer support, making it effortless to play online in COVID-times with friends, even if they happen to reside in entirely different time zones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I will concede on all points... except I played Ticket to Ride against the A.I. on my phone that one time and it sucked. 8-)

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:57 am I will concede on all points... except I played Ticket to Ride against the A.I. on my phone that one time and it sucked. 8-)
Heh, yeah, the operative phrase there being "a rare few." The more straightforward mechanics of modern tabletop games can make for better AI (as in Through the Ages or Race for the Galaxy), but it's far from a foregone conclusion. Also, decent as the AI may be in Through the Ages, playing the AI on a phone or tablet still tends to be frustratingly s-l-o-o-o-w in comparison to the Steam or GOG versions for obvious reasons.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think I'd find that unless the production values are lush and distracting, I'd miss the banter and side conversation of the actual boardgaming experience and be bored by most games being stripped to their bare mechanics. Videogames have learned to do a decent job of covering that up. But I'm a professional boardgamer by no means. I only have one gaming buddy and most of our tastes differ, so I've never invested in the hobby outside of that Christmas I bought one for each member of the family as a gift. Blokus and Ingenious were hits. But no one's going to play anything seriously nerdy with me.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be fair, I've never had much of an interest in them, either. I love board games, and I love board game gameplay. But part of the appeal of board games to me is that I'm able to get away from a digital representation, my desk, and my mouse and actually interact with real-world objects.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:46 am I'd love to try most of these games in real life, but like many I imagine, I've often felt that digital board games kind of defeat the point. Video games have superseded physical games outside of the physicality and social aspects, so why would I want a digital representation of a board game, especially one that I've never experienced in the flesh? Though I suppose there are of course exceptions for very good implementations and online play, if that's something you're interested in. Or even being able to play against A.I. if you don't know anyone who'd like to play locally, or gave no gaming friends. Or to demo a game before buying the physical version.

I disagree that they've superseded by video games - plenty of board games have enjoyable gameplay mechanics (outside of the social aspect and physical aspects, which I agree are appealing too). In some cases, those games (well, the eurogame ones) have similar (but not identical to) gameplay to typical turn based computer strategy games, but it seems to me there are significantly fewer turn based games coming out than there used to be.

And, of course, social and physical aspects are important (certain games gameplay relies on that - like social deduction games - and those are generally not as good in a computer game setting).

Now generally, I would much rather play in person (With the possible exception of a few games that require a lot of setup/cleanup/etc). But sadly that's not available currently. That said, certain games (particularily social deduction, where bluffing is an important aspect) are poor in video game format, even when it's a digitized board game.

Also, when it comes to "why play board game X when you could play video game Y, which is bigger and better"? Honestly, I'll probably play both, because they've still got plenty of differences and they're both enjoyable and I often enjoy diversity of gameplay.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yes, the GoT coupon almost tricked me. And as for the monthly Choice, I just wish so many games weren't missing DLC. It sometimes feels like I'm paying for a marketing promo to get me to buy DLC.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't played a board game since I played Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit with my wife in the early 1990s.

I did play and enjoy Ticket to Ride on PC years ago. I have a solo playable board game..some Indiana Jones game...but have never played it and after 20 years I dont even know where it is. Does it still count as having a board game if you cant find it?? :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Defiant wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 pm I disagree that they've superseded by video games - plenty of board games have enjoyable gameplay mechanics (outside of the social aspect and physical aspects, which I agree are appealing too). In some cases, those games (well, the eurogame ones) have similar (but not identical to) gameplay to typical turn based computer strategy games, but it seems to me there are significantly fewer turn based games coming out than there used to be.
Certainly; I don't mean that video games have replaced or are better than board games. Just that our ability to perform calculations and generate experiences on our computers has far exceeded what we can conveniently accomplish with dice and tokens. That doesn't mean dice and tokens are obsolete. Just that creating a digital board game can sometimes feel a little like recording photographs to video. It has its purposes, but I wouldn't pay to watch it in 3D at a megaplex.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:15 pm
Defiant wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 pm I disagree that they've superseded by video games - plenty of board games have enjoyable gameplay mechanics (outside of the social aspect and physical aspects, which I agree are appealing too). In some cases, those games (well, the eurogame ones) have similar (but not identical to) gameplay to typical turn based computer strategy games, but it seems to me there are significantly fewer turn based games coming out than there used to be.
Certainly; I don't mean that video games have replaced or are better than board games. Just that our ability to perform calculations and generate experiences on our computers has far exceeded what we can conveniently accomplish with dice and tokens. That doesn't mean dice and tokens are obsolete. Just that creating a digital board game can sometimes feel a little like recording photographs to video. It has its purposes, but I wouldn't pay to watch it in 3D at a megaplex.
i'm going say the best use case is when you have a group that are already familiar with the physical implementations, and the digital version is a necessity due to distance or such. but also useful is online gaming with people who are not really inclined to typical video games - i'd have much more success getting, say, my mom in an online multiplayer session with a digital board game than with a 'standard' MP game

this makes me think - maybe i should get my mom a Ticket to Ride Steam key so we can try this out
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah... I got my mom to play Goldeneye on the N64 once. She shot my avatar in the head and then burst into tears.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anyone want to Plug In (and Play) Digital Bundle, but don't want WRC8? I have half of the games in the bundle and the ONLY thing I want was WRC8 in it. It's $20 or worse everywhere else. Yes, I know the bundle was only $10, but it's not worth that much to me with only ONE game on it I want. Will offer $5 on Paypal for WRC8 if you buy the bundle and don't want WRC8.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

March 2021 subscription bundle is pretty decent
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm March 2021 subscription bundle is pretty decent
Yeah good stuff, but as usual I have the 3 I am mainly interested in. I have been saving my last month of my 12 month sub for something interesting and it has been 4 months. I kind of want to leave it un-paused just to reward them for finally giving us something solid, but then I'd just have to give most of it to you guys!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I've been trying to purchase the Stellaris bundle but it wants to verify my phone number before it completes a purchase now. It says see email, I never get an email. :x
First order auto cancelled and tried again and same thing. This must be something new because I made a purchase in December and it didn't ask for phone number.

I have a trouble ticket in with them.

Update: Support was useless, they emailed back the message that popped up about verifying phone number. I know asswipe, my help needed was for NOT getting the emails to verify my phone number.

Changed my email to another one that I have with my internet service provider and same thing. Tried placing order through Amazon pay, same thing. Tried placing the order directly with Humble with my CC, same thing. So I have had 4 orders auto cancel as I wait. I would get all the emails to verify I was changing my email but not the ones to verify phone number.

I then changed my email to my gmail account and placed order. It went through without asking about phone number. WTF.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Does anyone that has Humble Choice know if you can gift a game that you get a discount on?
I'm looking at Far Cry Primal for $7.50, but it says Humble Choice subscribers can get it for $6.
If anyone has Humble Choice and can gift a game they purchase, I'll Paypal you the $6 for it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:12 pm Does anyone that has Humble Choice know if you can gift a game that you get a discount on?
I'm looking at Far Cry Primal for $7.50, but it says Humble Choice subscribers can get it for $6.
If anyone has Humble Choice and can gift a game they purchase, I'll Paypal you the $6 for it.
I don't think that works on Uplay titles, unfortunately. I know when AC: Origins was in the monthly bundle some time back I had to link my Uplay account to the HumbleBundle website to register the game. No option to get a registration code or anything.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Normally there aren't enough games in a bundle to interest me, but the latest bundle they notified me about actually got me to bite.

Deck Build & Battle

Thea: The Awakening
Cultist Simulator
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Neoverse
Thea 2: The Shattering
Fantasy General II
Imperator: Rome

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Looks good to me too. Only one I already have is Thea: The Awakening.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Anyone with Humble Choice willing to buy Gloomhaven for me at $15 within the next 3 days, which I can promptly pay back via Paypal?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stimpy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:17 pm Anyone with Humble Choice willing to buy Gloomhaven for me at $15 within the next 3 days, which I can promptly pay back via Paypal?
it's coming up as $18.62 after 10.1% WA state sales tax - is that acceptable?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:51 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:17 pm Anyone with Humble Choice willing to buy Gloomhaven for me at $15 within the next 3 days, which I can promptly pay back via Paypal?
Works for me.
Please pm me your info and I'll send it right out.
Thanks!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stimpy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:51 pm
Works for me.
Please pm me your info and I'll send it right out.
Thanks!!
purchased and link sent to you