[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

AWS260

Re: [Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B wrote:The amount of stuff you get for the $100 pledge (+$11 over MSRP) is absolutely insane. I have no idea how there's anyone simply pledging at the tier right below when the KS rewards start. I mean seriously, just look.
I wonder how on Earth they're making money here, when paying $11 over list price gets you more than three times as many miniatures.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

AWS260 wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:The amount of stuff you get for the $100 pledge (+$11 over MSRP) is absolutely insane. I have no idea how there's anyone simply pledging at the tier right below when the KS rewards start. I mean seriously, just look.
I wonder how on Earth they're making money here, when paying $11 over list price gets you more than three times as many miniatures.
It's all about quantity. The more people get a certain model in a certain configuration, the cheaper it is to make. They don't need to earn money at this stage, only set up PR and get as good a deal for production as they can. It's a Kickstarter after all. Most projects don't expect to earn much, if anything, on rewards during that stage of the product's life. Where companies like inXile use the money they get for development, companies like this use the money to pay for the rewards in order to build goodwill and momentum that will carry over the the game's main release and make it easier for them to get it into stores, and from there into customers' hands.
Insert witty comment here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The gameplay videos gave me a Sentinels of the Multiverse kind of feel...but with minis to allow for a more tactical gameplay. That's fine with me if it turns out that way as I love me some SotM style card gaming.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$125K today, and still going. And apparently Penny Arcade just made a mention on their Twitter feed. More freebies inbound...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I folded. I looked through my xbox and wii games, found a few I don't play anymore I can sell on ebay to scrounge up some cash to pay myself back. Too many minis to turn down, and it looks interesting enough. That and I'm really enjoying coop games these days. I have no will power it seems.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One of us....

:D
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

They broke 700,000. Cyclops boss is included now. :mrgreen:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Now it's over $800K -- final stretch goal unlocked with 3 hours to go. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Some of you guys wanna pledge a few more times? I really want that fire drake.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

need just over 16K more in about 50 minutes to unlock the Fire Drake.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that joined this project when it was under $100K, I'm amazed at how much support they were ultimately able to achieve. It's absolutely insane how much money they've made over the last 48 hours.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

38 minutes and just under 6.5K needed to reach the Fire Drake. Thats about 10K in 12 minutes. :shock:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And there you go -- with 29 minutes to spare, the game crosses over the $900K line. Unreal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:horse:
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Maybe I'll gradually parcel these out as birthday/Christmas presents for my son. That would take care of things for the next decade or so.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Goodbye 100 dollars. Goodbye.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:Good buy 100 dollars. Good buy.
ftfy
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I resisted. I'm so proud of myself.

But at 2 minutes I was one click away. One. Click.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:I resisted. I'm so proud of myself.

I'll bring it to next Spring's Octocon if Hepcat has not already been playing it with you. Then you can be all sad that you missed out. :P
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

hentzau wrote:I resisted. I'm so proud of myself.

I was right there with you. RIGHT THERE.

But I resisted too, I already have more board games than I can possibly play, and at least half a dozen tactical fantasy miniature board games that are very similar to this.

Also, why did the $100 pledge level say delivery was in Jan 2015 when everything else said 2014? Was that a typo?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was a typo. Or maybe a clever ruse to get you to up your pledge to $150. :ninja:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I listened to myself.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:I listened to myself.
I was actually listening to my wife yelling at me in my head.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finally convinced myself that, as much as I regret missing this and Zombicide, my goal is to get games to play with the kids. For the price I'd be paying for this, I could buy Zombicide (or whatever) from Amazon and actually be playing it in a few days.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also remember that it's going to be out sometime in January, so all you're missing out on now is the KS exclusive stuff and a slightly cheaper price. MERCS is very well supported, and I have no doubts this will be as well. It looks to be a "family friendly" title, at least as far as crushing evil with swords and hammers can be.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, trust me - 'family friendly' is not a factor in my family.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like they're given folks who didn't back this a chance to back this.

Now isn't that nice of them? Giving you folks who didn't cough up the cash a chance to choke up the cash now? :P
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pledge manager for the Apprentice level backers went live today. Wooo...boy. Think their server is on fire. I managed to get my order through, but it took me a little over an hour, between time outs and re-loads.

So unless you have time or patience, I'd probably wait a few more hours or until tomorrow.

I'm order #244. With ~5400 backers that has to count for something. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, didn't realize you went 150 on this one. Now I don't feel as guilty!
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish I only spent $150 on this. The add-ons killed me. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What did you add on? I know I'll be grabbing the extra player characters, that's a given. My completist mentality won't allow me to do otherwise. But what are the other "must have" options in your opinion?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Treasure Deck
Quest Deck
Spriggan (Kickstarter Exclusive)
I think those are a minimum and they expand the game play right out of the box. I picked the Spriggan because of the KS exclusive nature. Then because I'm a monkey, I added:
Skald
Tile supplement (act as transition tiles for base game themes)
Agents of Darkness
Lairs
Elemental Boss
None of those are exclusives, but once again they expand the game play.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm. The first three sound like what I had planned on doing. I'll have to look at the others when the time comes.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, the skald, spriggan and treasure pack are going to set me back another 40 bucks or so right out of the gate. Do you know how long do we have to add these to our order? I've got Origins coming up next month so I'm trying to set aside some cash.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think they said once you get the email notification about the pledge manager, you will have 30 days to modify / update / change your order. Note that it's not 30 days from when you sign in to the pledge manager, but 30 days from when they notified you that you should manage your pledge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dang. Ah well, time to dig deep.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stopped by the Merc table at Origins. When I mentioned that I was a backer for Myth, they brought out some of the finished minis. Good lord, they look great. I was told they were running demos of one of the scenarios for the game in the miniature's room after the vendor hall closed, but damned if I could find it.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You know you've hit the big leagues when EA hits you with a cease and desist order:
On the 21st we received a cease and desist letter from EA asking us to not use the Myth logo. We were rather taken back by what it could mean, and went to our lawyer the next Monday. It appears they have legal rights to the use of flames on letters, numbers, and symbols. He strongly advised removing the flame. He said it had to do with the close proximity of in the court's eyes to video games and board game. Specifically, most courts will see them both as "games".

The solution was easy for us: remove the flame from the logo. It is shown below. Here is the important part. We need anyone who posted or used this logo anywhere to replace it with the new one. We'll take care of here and the BGG.

Furthermore, it is delaying the printing of certain elements a few weeks because we need to make sure this issue is resolved. As we posted previously, we were working towards delivering early (you'll see proof of the progress later in the update) so this delay won't affect the timeliness of the January delivery date. It is still too early to tell if it will push us out of the November base game goal.
"Legal rights to the use of flames on letters, numbers and symbols". There isn't an eye-roll big enough -- but it's good to see EA can encroach upon board gaming too. :roll:
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

hum

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image ???

But wait, no....

Enlarge Image
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B wrote:"Legal rights to the use of flames on letters, numbers and symbols". There isn't an eye-roll big enough -- but it's good to see EA can encroach upon board gaming too. :roll:
I believe that refers specifically to the flame emerging from the Y in Myth, a device that is already used in the logo of Mythic Entertainment, an EA studio.