Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm looking at my wishlist and realized I wouldn't have time to play ANY of them, even if they are like 80% off. And the last few games I bought, was included in Humble Bundle within 3 months, except Mechwarrior 5.

The "Hearts of Steel" bundle looks kinda tempting, but that's probably because I already own 2 of the 4 titles, so I can buy the remaining 2 for 14.92, slight discount of 10% on top of Thanksgiving sale, but I don't have time to play them! Too many games in the backlog already.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A Marvel MMO is coming from DC Universe Online studio, City of Heroes lead dev
An unannounced MMORPG based on a Marvel IP is in the works at Dimensional Ink, the studio behind DC Universe Online and subsidiary of Daybreak Game Studio. The game's development will be led by Jack Emmert, who designed City of Heroes and who currently leads development on DCUO. The project is a long-term one, so don't expect to hear more until 2023 at the soonest.

The news that the game exists came via an investor presentation from Enad Global 7, the company that owns Daybreak. The presentation lists it as "Unannounced MMORPG" and says it's a "Marvel IP based massively multiplayer online game." Dimensional Ink is based in Austin, Texas, and currently runs DC Universe Online.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried all the superhero mmos and never liked any but the City of Heroes / City of Villains one. I loved them. Played them TONS. Still remember being in there when Christopher Reeves died and all that went on in the square that day.

I wonder if Ive missed any superhero mmos to try? Or missed the actual good one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:25 pm Ive tried all the superhero mmos and never liked any but the City of Heroes / City of Villains one. I loved them. Played them TONS. Still remember being in there when Christopher Reeves died and all that went on in the square that day.

I wonder if Ive missed any superhero mmos to try? Or missed the actual good one.
The only others I know that you didn't mention are Champions Online (which was almost a clone of CoH/V) and DC Universe Online.

I have played all four, and while I had fun, I didn't think that any were particularly well done. Superheroes just don't seem to be a good fit for MMOs, at least not if you want the 'superhero experience.' Hundreds of them all in idiotic costumes (fully half of which apparently have super breast powers and are bikini, hookers, or stripper themed.) All of them with names that appeal to 14-year olds, most of them fluorescent. And they always gather by the dozens right in front of the superhero HQs and terrorize the citizenry for hours on end. Blech.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

MS Game pass is only $1 for 3 months right now. Shame it requires win10 . i refuse to upgrade this pc. Waiting to build a new one one day. I want this one to stay as close as I can to what its been for when i put it away. its history.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b ... or1_112821
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a shame, because Win10 has been a great OS for me (once I turned off the 'extras', which took about five minutes), and Game Pass is a great deal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

scoop is now a scammer spammer....got that old hey u there? msg from him...cussed him and closed channel

EDIT: reported hijacked account too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have 18 games installed and im only playing two....TF2 and Chernobylite.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In Mass Effect 4 Id like to see Tali without the mask and suit standing holding Shepard's hand and Garrus come up. He'd say like "New girlfriend Shepard?". And Shepard and Tali would both laugh and Shep would say "No this is my wife". And Garrus would reply "Whats so funny?" Shepard would look at Tali "You wanna tell him or me?" and Tali would say to Garrus "I still have that shotgun".....Love to see Garrus's jaw drop and eyes widen.

Of course if they did get married Garrus would be best man/alien.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still waiting on a Last Starfighter game. A Stargate Sg1 one would be cool too. Id like to play the Hammond part and jus tsend teams out..unless I wanted to go.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I got a weird itch to play Conan Exiles on PS4, since it's on sale right now. It's a game I sorta liked on PC, but much prefer playing from the recliner on the big screen.

The PS4 download is 127 GB. WTF? :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone ever have a problem with GMG and Uplay activating a game? I got a $3 game called I Am Alive on Green Man Gaming and when I try to activate it its one of those without a key to enter. On GMG you click a button and it pops open a little Uplay window and you log into Uplay. Then click OK and it shows your account and a button to REDEEM. All well and good. But when i click it it gives me a 4008 Error ...over and over. Theres nothing on that online.

So far GMG support said try incognito mode. I tried that in my FF browser..didn't help. I tried IE Explorer but I cant even sign into GMG in that POS.

So while I wait on GMG to figure it out does anyone here have a clue?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:22 pm Anyone ever have a problem with GMG and Uplay activating a game? I got a $3 game called I Am Alive on Green Man Gaming and when I try to activate it its one of those without a key to enter. On GMG you click a button and it pops open a little Uplay window and you log into Uplay. Then click OK and it shows your account and a button to REDEEM. All well and good. But when i click it it gives me a 4008 Error ...over and over. Theres nothing on that online.

So far GMG support said try incognito mode. I tried that in my FF browser..didn't help. I tried IE Explorer but I cant even sign into GMG in that POS.

So while I wait on GMG to figure it out does anyone here have a clue?
try clearing the cache (or 'hard reload')

https://www.getfilecloud.com/blog/2015/ ... -browsers/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't help.

Uplay I usually have no trouble with or GMG. Im not sure which one is at fault here. I wish they'd just use keys like everyone else and drop forcing people to push a button and jump through hoops to connect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jebus..I think the GMG help person has their tickets mixed up. he replied telling me to click 'show key' then use that at Origin. It doesn't show a key and its for Uplay. This is AFTER he already told me to try something else and knew the problem. I sent him a 3 pic spread of each step i was doing and the result I was seeing. Shall see if that helps him. I may end up giving him tech support.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm I got a weird itch to play Conan Exiles on PS4, since it's on sale right now. It's a game I sorta liked on PC, but much prefer playing from the recliner on the big screen.

The PS4 download is 127 GB. WTF? :?
I bought the PS4/5 version of Call of Duty Cold War when it was on sale this week. The install size for everything involved with the game? 273 GB!
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well me and support at Green Man Gaming have worked 3 days trying to let me redeem my $3 game to Uplay. Failure. I have asked for a refund if they have no more things to try. Ive redeemed other Ubi games from them but this one REFUSES! Im ticked off after 3 days wasted.

List of things tried...

Reboot
enable 3rd party cookies
turn off all blocking software
incognito mode
install and try Chrome
chrome incognito

The original helper was replaced by a second one after the first one told me to click the redeem button and use the key on Origin....simply a misstep on the Uplay for Origin thing but I had already given him all the info and even step by step pics showing the problem. He was quietly replaced. :)

I guess I just cant buy any future Uplay titles from GMG
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:46 pm Well me and support at Green Man Gaming have worked 3 days trying to let me redeem my $3 game to Uplay. Failure. I have asked for a refund if they have no more things to try. Ive redeemed other Ubi games from them but this one REFUSES! Im ticked off after 3 days wasted.

List of things tried...

Reboot
enable 3rd party cookies
turn off all blocking software
incognito mode
install and try Chrome
chrome incognito

The original helper was replaced by a second one after the first one told me to click the redeem button and use the key on Origin....simply a misstep on the Uplay for Origin thing but I had already given him all the info and even step by step pics showing the problem. He was quietly replaced. :)

I guess I just cant buy any future Uplay titles from GMG
Did you explain that you are attempting to redeem the credit via the obsolete Windows 7 OS? Because it certainly wouldn't surprise me if the GMG/Ubi/Origin API necessary to redeem the credit may not be compatible with a 12-year-old unsupported OS.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

it was a year or so ago. But Im getting a refund so no worries. Ill never EVER make this system a pos WIN10 system that I HATE.

When I build new in a few years ill be forced to but this system gets stored as a piece of history .
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm it was a year or so ago. But Im getting a refund so no worries. Ill never EVER make this system a pos WIN10 system that I HATE.
How much have you actually used Win10?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you buy a cord for a Xbox One wireless controller? I have a new not in box controller and I want to use it on my PC. My old Xbox360 controller has a short in it. ive used the Blackhawk method of repair...a giant strong rubberband but its still flicking on / off with movement. I tried it with a fresh install of Red Dead Online yesterday and it started beeping on off fast and blue screened my system. Worried a shock could fry something.

Can I even use it on my PC like the old 360 ones even if I do get a cord somehow?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The internet tells me:
You can use any regular Micro USB cable to connect an Xbox One controller to a PC
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm Can you buy a cord for a Xbox One wireless controller? I have a new not in box controller and I want to use it on my PC. My old Xbox360 controller has a short in it. ive used the Blackhawk method of repair...a giant strong rubberband but its still flicking on / off with movement. I tried it with a fresh install of Red Dead Online yesterday and it started beeping on off fast and blue screened my system. Worried a shock could fry something.

Can I even use it on my PC like the old 360 ones even if I do get a cord somehow?
If the controller is new enough, and you PC supports it, you can also connect directly via Bluetooth. That's what I do with my XB1 controller now.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have bluetooth but no batteries. I found a micro usb that I usually use on my phone and camera and old mouse. But now I cant find my controller. I should never move anything.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm it was a year or so ago. But Im getting a refund so no worries. Ill never EVER make this system a pos WIN10 system that I HATE.
Alas, I think Daehawk is a lost cause. For someone that still nostalgically enthuses over tinkering around with far less user-friendly OSes (e.g. setting up and tweaking his DOS memory manager and drivers in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS of yore), he's sadly regressed into a frightened old fuddy-duddy, incapable of putting in even the most minimal effort it would take to make Windows 10 look and feel just like Windows 7 (assuming that would be his preference).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Alas, I think Daehawk is a lost cause. For someone that still nostalgically enthuses over tinkering around with far less user-friendly OSes (e.g. setting up and tweaking his DOS memory manager and drivers in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS of yore), he's sadly regressed into a frightened old fuddy-duddy, incapable of putting in even the most minimal effort it would take to make Windows 10 look and feel just like Windows 7 (assuming that would be his preference).
Oh god, please don't mention then that Windows 11 is on the way :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm incapable of putting in even the most minimal effort it would take to make Windows 10 look and feel just like Windows 7 (assuming that would be his preference).
I think I have my Win10 desktop setup to look and feel like WinXP, which RM9 has already declared a war crime. I honestly don't get O/S hate; I turn on my PC and it works. I browse. I play games. I Word or PowerPoint. The O/S release is largely meaningless to me. YMMV.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm Can you buy a cord for a Xbox One wireless controller? I have a new not in box controller and I want to use it on my PC. My old Xbox360 controller has a short in it. ive used the Blackhawk method of repair...a giant strong rubberband but its still flicking on / off with movement. I tried it with a fresh install of Red Dead Online yesterday and it started beeping on off fast and blue screened my system. Worried a shock could fry something.
you'll need to actually repair or replace that wire (and replacing is actually pretty easy)
yes, as mentioned above, a micro-USB cable works - can confirm, have used it myself
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:46 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm incapable of putting in even the most minimal effort it would take to make Windows 10 look and feel just like Windows 7 (assuming that would be his preference).
I think I have my Win10 desktop setup to look and feel like WinXP, which RM9 has already declared a war crime. I honestly don't get O/S hate; I turn on my PC and it works. I browse. I play games. I Word or PowerPoint. The O/S release is largely meaningless to me. YMMV.
As long as it doesn't interfere with me using it, report my doings to the CIA, or compromise me, I agree - the aesthetics aren't worth putting myself at risk over, not getting driver updates over, and having everything be unsupported.

And with Start10 and WindowBlinds, I could have Win10 look exactly Window 7 (or even XP) if I really wanted to.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool. I almost gave up finding the controller. I was looking in the only 2 rooms I store pc and gaming stuff in when I passed a chair in another room and a bag had slipped and fallen open and there it was! What luck lol.

I confirm it lights up and vibrates when plugged in. Now to test it. I can tell Im going to need to order a longer cord. This one is like 2 feet lol.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:46 pm
Ditto (well, minus the XP-aesthetics). And realistically, it's pretty much effortless for anyone with even a smidgen of PC experience to configure Windows 10 to look, feel, and behave exactly the way you prefer. Which makes Daehawk's defenestra-deca-phobia (Windows 10 phobia?) all the more absurd. Especially as he fondly waxes nostalgic about the good old days of buggering around with AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS fiddle-faddle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont care if Win10 looked exactly like eWIn7. Its not going on this system. It is staying as it has always been and Ill store it the way it is. Its a piece of my gaming history and if I ever take it out one day I want it as is.

Also no matter what you do Win10 wont listen most times and still sends info and updates by itself. Ask dbt. I just dont like it. Its on my wife's laptop and I dont care for it. Its like Vista...I never got it..didn't miss it and am VERY happy I didn't.

But this is history and I like it. If you drove a car for 20 years and it was a classic you wouldn't paint it then store it. You leave it as is. This is a time capsule.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pm Its a piece of my gaming history and if I ever take it out one day I want it as is.
We're fast approaching the point at which it'll be the end of your gaming history, then. According to Steam's hardware survey, Windows 7 represents 0.21% of gamers. Games and drivers (including remasters of old games) are going to start dropping Win7 support very, very soon.

If you want to preserve your system like it is, buy a new SSD/hard drive. Stick your current OS drive in a drawer. That way you can see the old system whenever you like, and when you put that system into storage you can swap it back in.

And there is a reason they update it automatically: It's your PC's vaccination. Some people refuse to update and end up spreading viruses all over the place. So, unlike COVID, they've made this vaccination mandatory, and good for them.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:36 pm
If you want to preserve your system like it is, buy a new SSD/hard drive. Stick your current OS drive in a drawer. That way you can see the old system whenever you like, and when you put that system into storage you can swap it back in.
and when you do - do not connect that machine to the internet. air-gap system only.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pm I dont care if Win10 looked exactly like eWIn7. Its not going on this system. It is staying as it has always been and Ill store it the way it is. Its a piece of my gaming history and if I ever take it out one day I want it as is.
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

That's a peculiar hill to die on, but enjoy your hummock of increasing irrelevance and obsolescence.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pmAlso no matter what you do Win10 wont listen most times and still sends info and updates by itself.
Rubbish. And given your proudly proclaimed profound ignorance and specific lack of experience with said OS, you're far from an authority on this subject.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Went to purchase the new Endwalker xpac for FF XIV today. Couldn't remember what I used for the password to my Squeenix account, so I requested a reset e-mail. The reset page requires to you put in a new password (of course), answer a security question (OK), then input the the birthdate you used to register the account (wait...what?).

Maybe it's just me, but I never put in my actual birthdate when I register accounts. I usually put in Jan 1 of my my birth year, but not my actual birthdate. I tried both Jan 1 and my actual birthdate on the reset page and sure enough, it wouldn't take either one. I'm sure that when I registered, I just chose some random date, but now that's preventing me from accessing my account.

Why is every single aspect of Squeenix's account management system such absolute and complete dogshit?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I think I have my Win10 desktop setup to look and feel like WinXP, which RM9 has already declared a war crime. I honestly don't get O/S hate; I turn on my PC and it works. I browse. I play games. I Word or PowerPoint. The O/S release is largely meaningless to me. YMMV.
Far be it from me to criticize OS customization, but if your are going to do it, why on earth would anyone ever choose WinXP as the object of their desire? The irony of course is that when you were actually running WinXP, you almost certainly set it up to look like Windows 98.

It’s a reflection of your dinosaur nature. :)

As for the rest of your post, yes. I’ve long since stopped configuring my desktop to be anything other than what it looks like out of the box - other then setting wallpaper. It’s the same reason I don’t mod Bethesda games anymore. The tinker gene has been removed from my system apparently.

I support people’s ability to tinker though, I just don’t do it.

I am mystified by the “OMG I won’t ever use THAT version of Windows!”. I’ve used every version of Windows since 3.0 and they all more or less do what they are supposed to, which is let me run everything I need to run. And if I’m trying to run some app from the Pleistocene era that no longer runs on the OS? It’s time for a new app, I’m not clinging to the old OS.

I would love to move to Windows 11, but they won’t let me because neither of my machines support TPM 2.0 apparently. But that’s on them, not me.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Anonymous Bosch

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:51 am Went to purchase the new Endwalker xpac for FF XIV today. Couldn't remember what I used for the password to my Squeenix account, so I requested a reset e-mail. The reset page requires to you put in a new password (of course), answer a security question (OK), then input the the birthdate you used to register the account (wait...what?).

Maybe it's just me, but I never put in my actual birthdate when I register accounts. I usually put in Jan 1 of my my birth year, but not my actual birthdate. I tried both Jan 1 and my actual birthdate on the reset page and sure enough, it wouldn't take either one. I'm sure that when I registered, I just chose some random date, but now that's preventing me from accessing my account.

Why is every single aspect of Squeenix's account management system such absolute and complete dogshit?
If only there were some sort of software one could rely upon to securely store and manage passwords (along with intentionally inaccurate birthdates and security questions)… :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would you say this cable is good for a XBone controller to PC? Its thicker than normal so costs a little more but maybe wont break or short.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38607

But I think I only need USB 2.0.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:50 pm Would you say this cable is good for a XBone controller to PC? Its thicker than normal so costs a little more but maybe wont break or short.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38607

But I think I only need USB 2.0.
I would say that it's the wrong plug.