Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Its really a bummer when you step away fro ma game for a month and want to go back to it but cant figure out the controls. I have a few like that...just tried Ryse Son of Rome and since its controller based and doesn't show the controls but only teaches them to you when you first start playing I cant tell what Im doing. I cant jump out of the way of traps that insta kill me and I cant block attacks from behind like all other games. I just have to quit back out of the game and sigh. This is why I end up deleting so many games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote:Its really a bummer when you step away fro ma game for a month and want to go back to it but cant figure out the controls. I have a few like that...just tried Ryse Son of Rome and since its controller based and doesn't show the controls but only teaches them to you when you first start playing I cant tell what Im doing. I cant jump out of the way of traps that insta kill me and I cant block attacks from behind like all other games. I just have to quit back out of the game and sigh. This is why I end up deleting so many games.
If only there was some place you could look that info up...

Or...

http://www.rysegame.com/manual/

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rip

Post by Rip »

PC gamers are better at sex than console peasants, says a new study conducted by MyVoucherCodes – with just 3 per cent of Playstation owners rated “excellent” in bed by their partners.
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/11/1 ... ays-study/

:horse:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I might be completely unable to play isometric RPG-style games anymore. I first suspected it with the release of Shadowrun, then Wasteland 2. Haven't been able to get into Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin just isn't grabbing me. I'm not feeling good about this. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Sit cattycorner on you chair.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was completely uninterested in playing anything i had currently installed, so i randomly picked out something and started with Dead Island (which i got in some Humble Bundle). this title is totally ludicrous and i can see it wearing out its welcome, but it's ok 'fun' for now. if i get tired of it in a week, i'll delete off the HDD and move onto something else.

just read the manual, didn't know about the analog fighting controls. will have to try that. (i loved Die By The Sword for that)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm actually on my 4th run through Dead Island. Not sure why I like it so much. I guess it scratches an itch. I'll certainly grant that it's not a great game, but I find that I kind of zone out. Kicking them down and then stomping on the heads just doesn't get old for me. Well, not 100% true. It does get a bit repetitive. So I put it away. Then months later I get the itch again.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried installing Achtung! Spitfire but the damn thing wouldn't load.
Come on GOG! Help me out here!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I might be completely unable to play isometric RPG-style games anymore. I first suspected it with the release of Shadowrun, then Wasteland 2. Haven't been able to get into Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin just isn't grabbing me. I'm not feeling good about this. :(
Yep, as a BG and IW fan fdrom way back all of a sudden it seems I can't be doing with them either, really sad but what can you do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't give it a good go but I also didn't get into Pillars of Eternity and that view was always my favorite from my first days as a gamer. Im hoping its because of my huge backlog crushing me..going to try again someday. I think if I can finish the 5 or 6 games I want to on my pc right now then Shadows of Mordor and Witcher 3 are up next..shall see.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I might be completely unable to play isometric RPG-style games anymore. I first suspected it with the release of Shadowrun, then Wasteland 2. Haven't been able to get into Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin just isn't grabbing me. I'm not feeling good about this. :(
I have recently come to the same conclusion. I've tried both Divinity and Pillars of Eternity three different times now, and neither of them have interested me in the least. I have Shadowrun staring at me from the backlog, but am nervous to give it a go. I really don't want to see another CRPG meet the same fate, as it was at one time my favorite style of game.

I realized today that while I thoroughly enjoy getting to the end game in an MMO, I have very little desire to continue once I get there. I've spent thousands of hours getting max level toons in 5 different MMO's now (SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, Final Fantasy XIV, and Elder Scrolls Online), but the only one I have spent even a nanosecond with after hitting that plateau is FFXIV (which I'm thoroughly burned out on at this point). Is that normal?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As I'm nearing completion of Shadowrun: Dragonfall (I think), I can definitely say that if you are going to "try" Shadowrun out, that this is the one (if you have it). The story is way more engaging. I've found myself caring about NPCs. The combat is mostly not an issue for me. Unlike Wasteland 2, you can't spin the camera. That has been a bit annoying a few times because I couldn't tell very well where the cursor was. But it's only been a few times. The rest of the time it's pretty straightforward. The other thing is that the maps are generally a lot more compact than your Wasteland 2/Baldur's Gate maps. So there is less running around. Battles aren't usually too long either.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote:I realized today that while I thoroughly enjoy getting to the end game in an MMO, I have very little desire to continue once I get there. I've spent thousands of hours getting max level toons in 5 different MMO's now (SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, Final Fantasy XIV, and Elder Scrolls Online), but the only one I have spent even a nanosecond with after hitting that plateau is FFXIV (which I'm thoroughly burned out on at this point). Is that normal?
I am the same way. Enjoy the ride, but done when I hit max level. When a World of Warcraft expansion comes out, I re-sub, max a couple characters and am done. I like seeing the new content, but don't have the time to spend to be useful in the end game. WoW is the only game that has gotten me to do that much. In the others I just max out and quit (SWTOR)... or get bored well short of max (Guild Wars 2).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm that way, too. The end game in most MMOs tends to consist of repeating the same few hours of content over and over in the hope of getting something good. It is like playing the same two hour game three times a week for months. Blech.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Every time I think about firing up WoW again, I just watch gilraen running through the same raids over and over and over and over....... again. Then I go play something else.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And yet I can fire up the 360 and play game after game of hockey. Part of it is the time commitment per instance, I guess. :shrug:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dammit, I broke gaming! I want to game, but nothing makes me say, "Ooh!" I keep starting then exiting games. It drives me nuts when this happens.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same..and when I force myself I end up almost breaking stuff.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have been pretty enthralled with TIS-100 lately. it just so happened to sorta coincide with my interest in learning assembly language (for programming on the Atari 2600. i will tell you, this is a really difficult platform to start with).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Once upon I time I owned an Apple IIe and a Trash-80 CoCo...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was late to getting a computer, 1993. Hewlitt Packard. I got it for business reasons but got really into it for things like XCOM and the Perfect General.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

dbt1949 wrote:I was late to getting a computer, 1993. Hewlitt Packard. I got it for business reasons but got really into it for things like XCOM and the Perfect General.

I didn't realize that goat husbandry required Microsoft Office.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote:I was late to getting a computer, 1993.
That was still five years before I got my first computer!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Kasey Chang wrote:Once upon I time I owned an Apple IIe
Same here, back in the mid 80s. The coolest thing about it was that in my spare time I developed a rogue-like dungeon crawler game with procedurally generated content and loot using Apple Basic. When mobs died they'd drop stuff that remained on the floor though-out the game and they'd chase you around the procedurally generated dungeon (via simple path finding and AI) It was a blast to work on and a LOT more fun than programming for work during the day. That's all I really wanted to do back then, create my own games.

I still have some very fond memories of my old Apple IIe.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

ColdSteel wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote:Once upon I time I owned an Apple IIe
Same here, back in the mid 80s. The coolest thing about it was that in my spare time I developed a rogue-like dungeon crawler game with procedurally generated content and loot using Apple Basic. When mobs died they'd drop stuff that remained on the floor though-out the game and they'd chase you around the procedurally generated dungeon (via simple path finding and AI) It was a blast to work on and a LOT more fun than programming for work during the day. That's all I really wanted to do back then, create my own games.

I still have some very fond memories of my old Apple IIe.
IIc for me around the same time, eventually a nicely loaded IIGS before I eventually went PC.
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

End of 1994: 486DX2 66 MHz processor, perfect for playing X-Wing and Dune II. 405 MB of HDD space.

That was my first rig. The family had a Packard Bell for a little while before that, which had replaced our C=64 that was rather long in the tooth.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I had a Compaq 286 by the late 80's, I don't remember the exact year but I know in was in our last house. I played Earl Weaver Baseball, JNSE Golf and some football game.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:I was late to getting a computer, 1993.
That was still five years before I got my first computer!
That was right around when I stopped having a computer for the first time since I was 12. There was a dry spell right around 92 through 95/96 where I didn't have a personal computer of any make. I got my first intel based "ibm compatible" around 95/96.
Montag

Post by Montag »

First machine was an Epson 8088 that had a turbo button for 12 Mhz. Bought it with Rocket Ranger.
words
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first machine was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack in 1979.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In 1986 I used all of my savings to buy Wife a Tandy 1000 EX with monitor and printer. It set me back $1200, which is still serious coin but even more so back then. She needed it to start a freelance writing career so choosing "IBM-compatible" over Apple was an easy decision for a work machine. I soon discovered that it could play games, too. Archon was my first. By the time I got to Starflight I was hooked for life. Haven't been without a computer since then, but it was the mid 90s before we each had separate machines.

It's funny...back then a new game cost around $50. Nowadays a AAA title is still around $50, and you'll still spend around $1200 for a decent PC with monitor and peripherals.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Montag wrote:First machine was an Epson 8088 that had a turbo button for 12 Mhz. Bought it with Rocket Ranger.
Cinemaware titles with CGA graphics?? eeek
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote:In 1986 I used all of my savings to buy Wife a Tandy 1000 EX with monitor and printer. It set me back $1200, which is still serious coin but even more so back then. She needed it to start a freelance writing career so choosing "IBM-compatible" over Apple was an easy decision for a work machine. I soon discovered that it could play games, too. Archon was my first. By the time I got to Starflight I was hooked for life. Haven't been without a computer since then, but it was the mid 90s before we each had separate machines.

It's funny...back then a new game cost around $50. Nowadays a AAA title is still around $50, and you'll still spend around $1200 for a decent PC with monitor and peripherals.

And with my PC acting up and having 19,872 games on Steam it's a good thing too!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

We had a TRS-80 in 1981 and an Apple IIe by 1983 (when I was 14). I used that Apple all the way through college, then got my first PC in 1991.

PC gaming nearly wrecked grad school for me.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The internet says that $1200 in 1986 is worth $2,595.08 today. Imagine that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was around computers a lot in school. When I was in 4th grade, my school was the first in the area to get a computer (one computer, on a cart, that would be rolled from classroom to classroom on a one-week rotation.) In high school I was in the first class to learn typing on computers (the first semester was IBM electrics, the second was computers), and took all of the programming classes that were available (which consisted of BASIC, advanced BASIC, applied computer mathematics, and a little Pascal.) In college I was a computer lab consultant through the university (sort of a student IT/instructor.)

It wasn't until '98 or so that I actually owned a computer. It was a 486/66 running Windows 95, 4MB of RAM, and a 500 MB hard drive, rented mainly so I could type up some documents. I had no intention of either gaming or using the internet on it. It came with a free one-month AOL disk, though, and I picked up a copy of Lords of the Realm II on sale. It couldn't run much, though, and it wasn't long before I was actually researching what was necessary for actual gaming. The rest is history.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote:Lords of the Realm II
:wub: Let's get digging!

Did you know that I wrote the dialog lines for a couple of characters and made a few of the maps? Ah, glory days.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My first rig ever was a Commodore VIC-20. Found it at a garage sale. Played Omega Race way too much. So much, I knocked it off the cart and destroyed it.

Bought an Apple //e, but only got monochrome monitor. Had to Craigslist my way to a monochrome AND an 80-column card.

Had to get a Trash-80 CoCo and the assembler card for the EE class. Yes, this is in Texas. Tandy sponsored everything. :D

Actually bought a Transwarp Card (made it a PC compatible) and got it working, but it didn't quite work with the software I needed for college (A Modula-II compiler, and NOT the Logitech one) ended up selling it for a Radio Shack Tandy 1000 SL, which believe it or not, can run Wing Commander... if it has 640K of RAM. (remember, DOS days)

Traded it in 2 weeks later for a 1000 TL (286) since they don't have memory upgrade kit. And yes, I actually did play Wing Commander on that thing. Pretty sure I only had floppies on that thing. :D

Actually added a 40MB Miniscribe HD.

Came to San Francisco and bought a 486. Replaced the mainboard for a NexGen P90 (the Pentium clone). Upgraded a year later for a Celeron, then a Dell Core Duo, then to my current rig: first gen i7 laptop. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: ended up selling it for a Radio Shack Tandy 1000 SL, which believe it or not, can run Wing Commander... if it has 640K of RAM. (remember, DOS days)

Traded it in 2 weeks later for a 1000 TL (286) since they don't have memory upgrade kit. And yes, I actually did play Wing Commander on that thing. Pretty sure I only had floppies on that thing. :D
i also played Wing Commander on the 286 machine. because it had 640K and not 1M of RAM, the cockpit animation where it shows your arm moving the control stick while flying was missing. the memory manager!! oh the memory manager...

had to clear half the HDD space to install the game. the conversion from VGA to EGA graphics during installation took at least an hour to process.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Lords of the Realm II
:wub: Let's get digging!

My Lord? Yes?
Kraken wrote: Did you know that I wrote the dialog lines for a couple of characters and made a few of the maps? Ah, glory days.
I did not! Now I do. I've brushed elbows with celebrity!