Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Exciting times at Firaxis...

Firaxis announces new Civilization game as XCOM director Jake Solomon leaves
Jake Solomon has announced he's leaving Firaxis after over two decades, during which he helmed the excellent reboot of XCOM: Enemy Unknown and its sequel, before most recently directing Marvel's Midnight Suns (which is also excellent, if you're the kind of person who wants to take yoga classes with Blade). Firaxis announced the news with a bit of a consolation prize: A new Civilization game is on the way.

Firaxis' current COO, Heather Hazen, has also been promoted to studio head, replacing the departing Steve Martin (no, not the comedian), who'd been at Firaxis for 25 years and oversaw the launch of more than 30 titles. Hazen joined the studio in 2020 after a stint as executive producer on Fortnite, but previously worked at Popcap when Popcap was good and was involved with titles like Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled. And Hazen's wasted no time in telling folks what to expect.

"I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to carry on the studio's storied legacy, beginning with the announcement that Firaxis is in development on the next iteration of the legendary Civilization franchise," said Hazen. "I’m lucky to be working with some of the best developers in our industry, and we have plans to take the Civilization franchise to exciting new heights for our millions of players around the world. In addition, we will continue to support Marvel’s Midnight Suns with post-launch content, and explore new creative projects for our teams.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Would be happier if we got another Alpha Centauri. It's been long enough that a sequel at this point would be introduced to a whole new generation of gamers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For years now Ive been thinking of rearranging my gaming shelves. I never had enough space to begin with so I had to stack stuff on top the shelves, on top of things on the shelves and in front of my shoveled items. So getting or even seeing half the stuff is impossible. Then my wife started adding stuff. Its all still there. But I really only have room for 2 shelves and I need at least 3 and 4 would be best. But no where to put them close. Even if I redo my shelves theres not room. But I consider it anyways.

I put them in in alphabetical order. I like that. But Im also thinking maybe by company or by genre...then alphabetical inside that. but that may be messy. Would be nice to say have all Origin games in a area and then alpha in that. But a full alpha makes it simpler perhaps. Who knows. All moot at this time until I figure stuff out in time and get some free money. I wonder how others order their large box collections. Im a member of the large PC box YouTube family but I cant see their pics good enough to tell...always looks like a big mess for them too.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I used to organize my records by alphabetical, then chronological. With game series being passed on to different developers and publishers, organizing by those would be an endeavour too great for me :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

old game boxes had no standardized size or even shape - sometimes even within the same publisher - so they're going to look like a chaotic semi-mess lined up no matter what
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive got big boxes, bigger boxes, and small boxes all mixed in.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

House of the Dying Sun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2831 ... Dying_Sun/

I have passed this game up since release. Think that was 2016. I thought it was a completely different game than it is it appears. I was watching a video on space sims and they showed this among others. I was surprised . It looks really good.

I think I had it mixed up with an older game from the 1990s or something. maybe it had a similar name...House of something maybe. If I find it Ill edit it in.

Anyways has anyone tried this one? Whats the verdict on it? online looks seem to like it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I always think of it as the game that isn't Emperor of the Fading Suns.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:45 pm I always think of it as the game that isn't Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Thats it! Thank you. I remember that game from the 90s I guess and confused it...just couldn't think of the name...and I guess its not a space game. I think in the 90s I thought it was a space game and wanted it until I saw more info on it in the mags and Software Etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Considering downloading COD Warzone and giving it a try. Ive never played it because from videos it seems you die from no telling who or how all the time and that players live it and are super good. those type games frustrate the crap out of me. But maybe Im wrong about the game. I mean i see its coming to iOS and stuff so it cant be that dangerous if you can play it on mobile lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are there any Terminator games as good as this last one was, Resistance? I dont want to go super far back because then i cant stand the graphics....nothing like the 90s ones. But anything more recent thats good? Ive been watching tons of react vids to the Terminator movies and just finished Resistance. Really love the stuff and kinda on a run with it all right now. But seem to be out of anything. For such a popular franchise there sure is little in gaming for it.

Id love a Terminator game where I play Skynet and research terminator models and try to erase John Connor somehow.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There aren't many of any quality.

Check here and here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:45 pm I always think of it as the game that isn't Emperor of the Fading Suns.
I bought it a month or so back. It's had a lot of changes from the olde one. Just a few bucks and the guy(s) that remade it have a youtube playthrough for it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks BH. Looking it doesn't seem the games have done any better than the movies since T2. Disappointing. Resistance was wonderful. I see something called Dark Fate Defiance that holds promise but it was supposed to be out last year. Its a RTS. Also Theres a Salvation game that they say is ok not great.

dbt - Im curing about Dying Suns now if it hurries you. Ive heard something about a flagship that warps in if you take yo long. Thats a huge no flag to me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

But if you watch a youtube playthough of it you don't have to play it, even if you own it. There's a law about that somewhere........
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:43 am Also Theres a Salvation game that they say is ok not great.
the arcade version of Terminator Salvation that came out in 2010 (a light gun gallery shooter) was kinda fun for what it was, although unfairly difficult and pretty expensive to play. the encryption was cracked sometime last year and i would like to get an emulated version on my PC - the original natively ran on Linux! - but i haven't messed around with Teknoparrot.

https://terminator.fandom.com/wiki/Term ... cade_game)

https://teknogods.github.io/

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No wasn't that one I was thinking of. It had a story to it. Lemme see....

Has Moon Bloodgood ( I keep wanting to call her Bloodgod) and others of the movie's cast.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:17 am No wasn't that one I was thinking of. It had a story to it. Lemme see....
yeah, the PC/console version was by a different studio and was a different game. i was just responding to your original question with my answer that the arcade version of Terminator Salvation was probably the 'best' Terminator game i've played (and it wasn't included in your list), but that's not saying much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today I had a discussion with my friend about how games 10 and 20 years ago were easier and more intuitive to control...a quality of life thing.

Right now State of Decay 2 is showing me just how right I was. In game Im in the field with 2 party members. I climb a billboard then I cant get down. The key is bound. Not working. 5 min later I find that if Irebind it to the same key it suddenly works.

Then I find too much loot..at the first tiny little site...and cant carry more. So I try to use my other two useless party members to get more. They wont loot anything on their on. So ok...I cant open my inv and his and drag it to him...its a crossbow. I cant open his character panel and equip him. I cant talk to him and have him take it. If I drop it they wont pick it up. I cant take control of him and do it. THeres NO way to simply give loot or equip other party members in the field!!

And thats just 10 min after starting .Im ready to delete it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

20 years ago the controls were simple because all you did was run down a hallway shooting everything. 20 years ago AI companions in action games were generally broken fire support.

"Not without my buddy Superfly!"

In other words, they were simpler because you could do far less.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No I mean back then you could click and drag to highlight multiple units..Ive played 2 games lately where I cant even do that for a group of peons. Also you could command squadmates or groupmates to do stuff or like I mentioned equip them or open their inv and move stuff. So many games lack basic UI and control features games from the mid to late 90s to late 2000s had. Its as if they simply cant program as well as they once did. I think a big problem is so much mobile gaming and consoles where these features are lacking are doing a general dumbing down of the PC market. They tried to make stuff more simple and only make it harder. Least on old pc gamers like me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This post is nothing to do with my previous post....

100 top windows games 1997 - 1999. Some of those make me think about trying them again. I saw Swat 3..i wonder if I can get Swat 4 to run?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You know, I have a notebook page (OneNote) dedicated to listing why I abandoned games so that I can reference it if I feel like giving them another try, but nothing for games that I just sort of let fade away.

I want to play some Pathfinder (PC). It's been a couple of years since I played Kingmaker, and I drifted away somewhere in the middle. I don't recall if it was because I got bored, or if I just got distracted. Since then, Wrath of the Righteous has come out. And since I don't remember what happened with Kingmaker, I have to decide - do I go back and restart Kingmaker (and risk the same thing happening again if it wasn't just distraction), or do I just start Wrath of the Righteous, which I also own?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan to go back to Pathfinder sometime. I gave up due to having to rest. Theres a mod to remove it now..or make it not so bad.

Ive got security fobs for both World of Warcraft and Star Wars The Old Republic. The WOW one I got around 2007 or so I think and it still works perfect and strong. The SWTOR one though that I got around 2011 or 2012 is dead. It started glitching out years ago and I finally had to get the one for my phone just to be able to log in and play.

Other than the graphic overlay on them they appear the same. Guess WOW opted for better batteries.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm You know, I have a notebook page (OneNote) dedicated to listing why I abandoned games so that I can reference it if I feel like giving them another try, but nothing for games that I just sort of let fade away.

I want to play some Pathfinder (PC). It's been a couple of years since I played Kingmaker, and I drifted away somewhere in the middle. I don't recall if it was because I got bored, or if I just got distracted. Since then, Wrath of the Righteous has come out. And since I don't remember what happened with Kingmaker, I have to decide - do I go back and restart Kingmaker (and risk the same thing happening again if it wasn't just distraction), or do I just start Wrath of the Righteous, which I also own?
There are some games I loved until I got to a certain point (e.g. impossible boss/jumping puzzle). I will then uninstall the game and in the future will assume I did it for good reason.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's just it - those I actually with reason get an entry in my 'abandoned games' section. Those I drift away from do not.

I honestly don't recall if this should have fit into the prior category or not.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Steam says I played Kingmaker for 118 hours. I never finished it. There were several issues with it at that point, but the one I remember the most was that building up your cities didn't really make much difference. Better ways to spend your money (?) existed. I just moved on to something else.

But, I really enjoyed my time with it! I might give it another shot in the future, or I might get Wrath of the Righteous instead.

118 hours is definitely getting my money's worth!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:18 pm won (at least) 10 games of all the solitaire variants in Zachtronics Solitaire Collection and got the achievements for doing so, so that means i know how to play them all and win on a fairly consistent basis. i will probably shelve this one for now at ~38 hours played with getting my money's worth out of it, as i don't think i'll go for all the '100 games won' for each....

i can recommend this, if card sorting is your thing - the variants are interesting. Fortune's Foundation (the exclusive variant for this collection) is pretty entertaining, even if the deck shuffling is rigged. (and it has to be, otherwise you'd almost never win it)

also found the least popular one - Cribbage Solitaire, where only 10% of players have won 10 games. at least i know 'cribbage scoring' now
can't believe i have almost 50 hours invested into this collection. it's a winner!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone playing Ravenbound?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've been playing the demo to Contraband Police, which released today (full release, not early access). The video I've posted is just a small look at the game. It has a bit of a Paper, Please vibe to it, but lives in a 3D world where a lot more things can happen, like searching vehicles, being shot at, chasing down fugitives, etc. I'm part way through the demo now and I'll post some more impressions. So far reviews have been good.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A bit more from Contraband Police. This is still the demo and I'm in the second day of training. This time I catch a smuggler and find the smuggled goods.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can't help but cringe when you turn your back on the suspect and start collecting his drugs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:25 pm I can't help but cringe when you turn your back on the suspect and start collecting his drugs.
There are other guards around, but I did find I could slash at them with a knife! :wink:

I've now started a dedicated thread for Contraband Police.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:25 pm I can't help but cringe when you turn your back on the suspect and start collecting his drugs.
There are other guards around, but I did find I could slash at them with a knife! :wink:
Just personal experience, and too many years being alert for exactly where potential threats are relative to me. I could almost feel the knife sliding between my ribs when you leaned into the car like that. It would actually be enough to make me a bit uncomfortable playing it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've been playing Titan Quest for the last several weeks, got to Typhon and bounced right off. I don't really feel the game is particularly interesting. The first act was such a slog through uninspired map design, found the second act in Egypt far more interesting, same as the journey through the east in Act 3. But this game has some fairly high difficulty spikes that don't make the game enjoyable. Also seems to suffer from imbalance issues. I find it pretty poor that I've searched all corners of each act killing everything in my path, yet still somehow end up underleveled by the time I come to Olympus, as if the game expects me to go through it all again to grind. Yeah, F that noise.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:28 pm I've been playing Titan Quest for the last several weeks, got to Typhon and bounced right off. I don't really feel the game is particularly interesting. The first act was such a slog through uninspired map design, found the second act in Egypt far more interesting, same as the journey through the east in Act 3. But this game has some fairly high difficulty spikes that don't make the game enjoyable. Also seems to suffer from imbalance issues. I find it pretty poor that I've searched all corners of each act killing everything in my path, yet still somehow end up underleveled by the time I come to Olympus, as if the game expects me to go through it all again to grind. Yeah, F that noise.
Yeah, that was my experience. Instead of being awarded for scaling the heights you're made to feel like a peon. IMO poor game design.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:47 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:28 pm I've been playing Titan Quest for the last several weeks, got to Typhon and bounced right off. I don't really feel the game is particularly interesting. The first act was such a slog through uninspired map design, found the second act in Egypt far more interesting, same as the journey through the east in Act 3. But this game has some fairly high difficulty spikes that don't make the game enjoyable. Also seems to suffer from imbalance issues. I find it pretty poor that I've searched all corners of each act killing everything in my path, yet still somehow end up underleveled by the time I come to Olympus, as if the game expects me to go through it all again to grind. Yeah, F that noise.
Yeah, that was my experience. Instead of being awarded for scaling the heights you're made to feel like a peon. IMO poor game design.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I agree, it's poor game design. When I came out of the portal, I noticed the difficulty was significantly harder, yet I hadn't missed anything. There were only two quests that I ended up not doing, but you get so few sidequests in general. I was level 32 when I arrived at Olympus, yet for some reason that's considered under-leveled. Before that point, it was fairly manageable given the rebirth fountains, and I had fairly good gear, or so I thought. It made me feel like I was missing something. And to think the Infinite Throne that comes after it is much harder!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And now, after having researched a bit more, I've come to understand that due to the devs changing things for the Anniversary Edition, they created some unintended sideeffects that they didn't apparently fully test, including making Typhon unkillable by Melee classes! Real nice, Devs. I put lots of time and effort into getting to the end of your bland game and I don't even get the decency of being able to kill your end-boss. And yet I see your DLCs are going at $25 each. And to make matters worse, I've heard that they've been locking the better loot behind their latest DLC, preventing users of the base anniversary version of the game from even seeing and being able to pick up said loot making chances of picking up good loot even more slim. This is just really poor.

What an ARPG means to me is that I can sit down and play something without too much thought into it, without getting into the min-maxing like a D&D style RPG, but this just feels so contrary to that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:00 pm I've heard that they've been locking the better loot behind their latest DLC, preventing users of the base anniversary version of the game from even seeing and being able to pick up said loot making chances of picking up good loot even more slim.
This confused me, so I did some reading. For others - they included the DLC loot in the loot tables whether you own the DLC or not. So if you kill Mr. Boss in the base game, and Mr Boss drops 15 pieces of loot, instead of getting 15 pieces of loot to choose from, you get 8 pieces of loot to choose from and 7 (or whatever ratio) that can't be picked up. And likewise merchant selling slots are clogged with loot you can't buy, so instead of having access to 20 random items to buy, half of those might be DLC content, reducing your options.

Yeah, that's shitty.