Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

Hehe this old case has no front panel USB or anything. So strange. Theres also no mounting for SSD or places to route cables. Also the air cooler sticks out so far I cant put the side panel back on . Times sure change.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well doesn't appear Ill be updating to Win10.....I download the tool and run it and it says theres a problem and to reboot and try again....no work.

NM think running as admin fixed it.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Star Wars 1313 in action. Shame it will never see the light of day, which is ironic given that releasing it now in conjuction with the Mandalorian would be the perfect time.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im back and on Win10. Strangely it looks just like Win 7 except updated. It didn't use the win10 desktop. Im ok with that for sure. It took about 15 min to install win10 then another 20 for it tp update. its still doing stuff. Weirdly its playing windows sounds through my PS4 controller it sounds like and making it vibrate. Ill have to look into that. May be Bluetooth.

Now to see if its all here and where its here at lol. And see if its all working. Time to run Shutup10 soon.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That chase sequence looks so video-game-boring. It doesn't really matter how fast you are, to a point--then all of a sudden it's mission failure. I did like the hanging carcasses bit they had to push through, though.

So the Kotaku article mentioned the main character was meant to be killed off by Fett 30% of the way into the game, and you played the rest as Fett? Really? They were going to Metal Gear Solid 2 this? And it was basically going to be Boba Fett, the game?

The stuff in the below video does look pretty good though. I mean the combat and characters are mediocre, but the live set is really amazing, even if it's all painfully on rails.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:06 pm Well Im back and on Win10. Strangely it looks just like Win 7 except updated. It didn't use the win10 desktop. Im ok with that for sure. It took about 15 min to install win10 then another 20 for it tp update. its still doing stuff. Weirdly its playing windows sounds through my PS4 controller it sounds like and making it vibrate. Ill have to look into that. May be Bluetooth.

Now to see if its all here and where its here at lol. And see if its all working. Time to run Shutup10 soon.
FWIW, I strongly recommend using the Debloat Windows 10 script created by Chris Titus to configure Windows Update to download security updates-only (which basically equates to simply clicking the relevant button to do so). In a nutshell, this disables feature updates for three years, preventing Microsoft from automatically updating your system with aggravating 'feature improvements' out of the blue. Using that setting means Windows Update will leave your OS alone, and only installs absolutely necessary security patches against ransomware and other security threats that emerge. And keep in mind, should you ever see a new Windows 10 feature you actually want, you can use that same Debloat Windows 10 script anytime to switch Windows Update back to its default settings.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ran it ...just used the tweak box to do all. Still messed up sounds..but not all still. See my thread here on my adventure... https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... hp?t=98840
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:10 pm That chase sequence looks so video-game-boring. It doesn't really matter how fast you are, to a point--then all of a sudden it's mission failure. I did like the hanging carcasses bit they had to push through, though.

So the Kotaku article mentioned the main character was meant to be killed off by Fett 30% of the way into the game, and you played the rest as Fett? Really? They were going to Metal Gear Solid 2 this? And it was basically going to be Boba Fett, the game?

Apparently the Boba Fett stuff was mandated by Lucas himself. They were originally going for completely new characters, but then Lucas said it had to be Boba Fett, so maybe this was a compromise? It does seem strangely slow, and at least to me, it doesn't come off feeling like that's the kind of thing he would be doing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1313 was one of my highly anticipated games. I was miffed when it was canned.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Everything about that 1313 video suggests a pre-alpha prototype. Probably more of a proof-of-concept or a build purely for experimenting with mechanics. Someone suggests sliding down a slanted wall at a brainstorming session. A team whips up a rough sequence that lets them try a bit of that. They tweak it and test it a few dozen times, then decide whether to actually add it to the game or not. That video looks like one of those tests, or maybe some footage from a few of them sent to someone as a demonstration.

It shouldn't be looked at as an example of what the game was going to be at all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm guessing some of the stuff ended up in Fallen Order.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played a bunch of Diablo 3 tonight. In fact so much the palm of my mouse hand is hurting like heck . I remember the first couple days of having a pc in 1994 and it hurting so bad I was afraid Id never game lol.....made a callus / knot there over the years. Ive gone soft these last few years of having so much away time ...trying to get back into gaming more again.

My first games on PC in 94 were Master of Orion and Privateer with some Doom / Doom 2 and Star Trek 25th Anniversary all thrown in. It was MOO that really did a number on the edge of my palm. I rest it on the mousepad and move the mouse with fingertips. I sat there day and night entranced by that old space 4x.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Recently tried Warframe. Was decent but I ended up not knowing what to do after the initial intro missions. There seems to be no intent to have even a slight nudge and most of the systems in crafting and mods for weapons and armor are left to you to figure out. Which would be okay if missions were interesting but they aren't. Available missions are based on level.....and level is darn hard to figure out since your "frame" levels, your armor levels and your weapons level. Missions are open and people can and do drop in, which for mew meant that people of higher levels jumped in to get dailies, ran faster than me and cleared the whole thing which then left them waiting at the extraction point for me to get there....basically for me the missions for the most part became running simulators. Tried YouTube videos but they were confusing as well and never once pointed to missions or similar that I could do where I actually do more than run to extraction and doing that to level so I can actually play seemed like a waste of time. Being a space ninja seemed like it could be fun.

Also jumped into Destiny 2 and gotta say it isn't noob friendly either but at least it has story missions for you to do where you do things and the open world events you can actually contribute to as well.

Also fired up GW2 to see what is up and realized I had not played in so long I had no idea what to do with my many alts so deleted them all and am starting over. Anyone still playing this?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:17 am Also fired up GW2 to see what is up and realized I had not played in so long I had no idea what to do with my many alts so deleted them all and am starting over. Anyone still playing this?
I played a bunch of GW2 in 2021, more than I had ever played it in the past. I have drifted over to FFXIV again, but I have the End of Dragons expansion pre-purchased so I will probably play sometime soon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I play GW2 on occasion but not much. One online friend lives by it.

Destiny 2 was ruining my eyes when they yanked most of the story from it and redid all the starting stuff.

Warframe I hear good stuff, I see it streamed, and know people who love it. I hate it. Ive tried off and on for years to get into it. Ill reinstall it every year about it, try for a day, then delete it not understanding or enjoying a bit of it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to the space 4x suggestion thread I was able to find a sweet looking upcoming space RTS....FALLING FRONTIER

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Duke Nukem 3D turned 26 years old yesterday. Lordy time you scary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This thing looks great. It plays all kinda handheld systems games.

https://www.analogue.co/pocket
A multi-video-game-system portable handheld. A digital audio workstation with a built-in synthesizer and sequencer. A tribute to portable gaming. Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library. Pocket works with cartridge adapters for other handheld systems, too. Like Game Gear. Neo Geo Pocket Color. Atari Lynx & more.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to play Deep Sky Derelicts. It is a little different with the DLCs.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:37 pm I play GW2 on occasion but not much. One online friend lives by it.

Destiny 2 was ruining my eyes when they yanked most of the story from it and redid all the starting stuff.

Warframe I hear good stuff, I see it streamed, and know people who love it. I hate it. Ive tried off and on for years to get into it. Ill reinstall it every year about it, try for a day, then delete it not understanding or enjoying a bit of it.
How can a game that has been around a while do absolutely nothing to enhance the new player experience? I played 4 hours and the only enjoyment was finding locations with 0 teams active so i could at least so some playing instead of running to extraction location. I watched a couple of Youtube videos but what they siad did not translate well into in game experience.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:17 am Recently tried Warframe. Was decent but I ended up not knowing what to do after the initial intro missions. There seems to be no intent to have even a slight nudge and most of the systems in crafting and mods for weapons and armor are left to you to figure out. Which would be okay if missions were interesting but they aren't. Available missions are based on level.....and level is darn hard to figure out since your "frame" levels, your armor levels and your weapons level. Missions are open and people can and do drop in, which for mew meant that people of higher levels jumped in to get dailies, ran faster than me and cleared the whole thing which then left them waiting at the extraction point for me to get there....basically for me the missions for the most part became running simulators. Tried YouTube videos but they were confusing as well and never once pointed to missions or similar that I could do where I actually do more than run to extraction and doing that to level so I can actually play seemed like a waste of time. Being a space ninja seemed like it could be fun.
Started Warframe for the first time ever and really enjoyed it. Got a bunch of levels and gear, played through some of the story. I even joined some random max level clan with 1000 members just to see that side of it. I'll probably take a break for a bit now because it did start to get grindy/samey. I'll probably keep it installed and pop in every now and then. It's really nicely polished and deep. I just don't really have any interest in going down that rabbit hole.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Final Fantasy VII was released 25 years ago today.

Damn, I feel old. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the only game from these 10 I know is Timberborn. But the first 5 look like fun games.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still on Deep Sky Derelicts. Actually got into it this time by following a build-guide and made it MUCH further than back in 2019. I am L8, about to hit L9 (L10 being the level cap). Though one of my fighters is lagging behind by a few hundred XP probably due to him missing out on a few kills. The fighting system are starting to make sense, and the 3xtracker build guide is pretty ingenious, that it works for all stages of the game, albeit with some workarounds.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone seen the upcoming game called War Hospital. It looks like you're in control of a M*A*S*H type game...man that would rock.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/war_hospital
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can I peek into the nurses' shower?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 am Can I peek into the nurses' shower?
That you Burns? You watch the bathroom in Sim Hospital ? :P
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I still love playing games. I love buying games. However, I hate learning new game systems. Probably why I have so many unplayed games. I always go for the game I know well.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

+1 to that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:41 pm I still love playing games. I love buying games. However, I hate learning new game systems. Probably why I have so many unplayed games. I always go for the game I know well.
Oddly, I like learning new game systems, but not for the sake of it just being new. I still love playing games, but I'm much more picky about spending money on a game unless I'm really enthused about it. One aspect of my playing that I've noticed it that I've rather lost interest in games like the John Tiller types or the Civilization series where I have to go through and check on a bunch of units, cities or whatever each turn or period of time to keep track of whats happening. I tend to prefer games like SnowRunner where I'm in charge of just a single entity. Which I guess also says why I've put in so many hours on games like Ghost Recon Breakpoint or Forza Horizon 5.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm actually finding that there is very little that is really new. It can be a little cumbersome remembering what buttons do what ... in the current game. (Playing Wildlands and Breakpoint at the same time was annoying because they changed some of the default controls. :D )

But learning how the games work is usually more a matter of just recognizing which functionality I'm already familiar with from other games.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:07 pm But learning how the games work is usually more a matter of just recognizing which functionality I'm already familiar with from other games.
That's true, but it's also a problem for me at time. The problem is that I've played so many games that I get similar games mixed up. I'm playing a color-based loot-centric game. I recall that upping the difficulty ups the rarity percentages. Or was that Borderlands? Or was that Diablo III? It's even worse with more complicated games as there are so many overlapping systems that it's hard to keep them straight.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For most games I just hate the "grind".

For Hardspace Shipbreaker, the part I REALLY hate was the gap between the reset and I finally get access to the tether, which allows the part to go automatically where they need to go instead of me pushing it, and my need to keep going back to the station to "refill" the tethers.

I've started playing Sakura Dungeon (yes, I know what type of game it is) and my initial impression was not too good, then I realized I missed the teleporter and there's actually a town portal every two levels. But the OTHER problem popped up... There's just a bit too much grinding, where you need to keep prowling the levels for random encounters to level up your army of monster girls. Worse, if you want to level EVERYBODY up, instead of going the path of least resistance: only level up the main characters and whatever retinue you chose.

EDIT: Fortunately, there is "auto combat" and even "skip mode" to make combat go by REALLY fast. But it's still kinda boring to explore the map, figure out the 3D'ness of the map (there's a level full of pitfalls so you have to navigate 2 different maps at once, basically) and even then it's a lot of back and forth.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Wonder Twins 8.8 were downstairs playing something on PS4 during tech time, and I just kept hearing this uproarious laughter. Harder than I've heard either of them laugh in a long, long time. Went down to see what they were playing that was so funny, and they showed me this.

That's just...brilliant. :lol: I typically avoid platformers, but may have to give Rayman Legends a look.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rayman Legends is pretty awesome...fun platformer, and the musical levels are genius. They're all popular songs with your actions in the level all happening in sync with the music. That's just one of several in the game, but probably the best. It's definitely a game worth checking out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting that old MMO urge again. Anything from true mmo to mmo lite

Like Im considering my yearly return to SWTOR and make a new toon..would be like my 24th or so on there. Half are max lvl'd. So thinking of making a new old one and playing them a little different.

I think about Genshin sometimes. Never tried it. But hear its grindy...I hate grinds but everything seems to be grind based now.

Also WoW entered my head lately. No idea why. Got no one to play with any longer and its still the same damn price...like SWTOR is. I couldn't go back now ...its been at least 10 years since I played. I think Pandaria was the last exp I played..I think.

In the lighter fare stuff things like Warthunder, Tera, Skyforge and maybe even RDO are nibbling at me to reinstall...yet again.

Ive installed Enlisted to see if its a good team shooter. Hell may not even be a shooter. But Im SICK of TF2 bots ruining that game...either you cant kick enough of them or you cant get others to help kick them. They insta kill you while looking at the ceiling and most play horrible loud noise, music, or political fuckassery.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:04 pm Tera, Skyforge
I had somewhat fond memories of both of these and revisited them over the past year. They're absolutely terrible now. Almost entirely dead, with the only progression either neverending grinding or P2W.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:22 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:04 pm Tera, Skyforge
I had somewhat fond memories of both of these and revisited them over the past year. They're absolutely terrible now. Almost entirely dead, with the only progression either neverending grinding or P2W.
This is what I was afraid of. I knew Rift was like that. Was hoping more weren't. So guess I can mark them off the try list. I hate empty server MMOs. I want other around me even if not grouped with me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well cant play Enlisted or War Thunder any longer because i cant remember my password for Gaijin and when I try to recover it it NEVER sends me the code I need to my phone. So anything related to Gaijin Im done with it seems even if I wanted to play.

EDIT: And I cant find a way to get help from them online. You have to sign in for help on their page. At app is rated malware and puts itself all over in hidden folders, and I see now way to contact them. Brilliant Gaijin you twerps. I give up on all their games. Shame.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dloaded and installed EA's new Ea Desktop App. its in beta but looks like it will replace Origin as you cant run both at once. We shall see how this goes.

As I recall Origin is a hold out from Impulse they got from Gamestop and before that Stardocks app.

EDIT: Just a quick look tells me it is already not showing me near all the games I own.....not even Mass Effect Legendary which Im playing.