Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cognizant

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Cognizant »

I'm looking forward to Stray release. By the way, does anybody know the date? I cannot find it anywhere. Hahahah perhaps it's already released and I'm just a fool and don't know it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you need a "chill" game, I would highly recommend Dorfomantik. It's a tile-based city builder(ish) that is incredibly relaxing and fun to play. Sat down to give it a try yesterday, and a couple hours disappeared in the blink of an eye. It's very relaxing and fun to build a landscape and see it evolve. Really enjoyed it.
Max Peck wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:51 am Square-Enix sells all of its Western game studios—and their games—to Embracer
On Monday, Japanese game publisher Square-Enix confirmed that it was selling all three of its Western video game studios, along with many significant game series and IP attached to those studios, to the European game publisher Embracer.

The sale includes game studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, and Square-Enix Montreal. All three had previously been wholly owned by Square-Enix, and Embracer will acquire their entire staffs, combined at roughly 1,100 people, along with popular IP such as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Legacy of Kain, and a game-publishing catalog of "over 50 games," for $300 million.

Not all of the deal's IP has been confirmed thus far, however, and an announcement from Square-Enix indicates that its Western operations "will continue to publish franchises such as Just Cause, Outriders, and Life Is Strange." This suggests that Square-Enix will retain some of its Western-specific IP and that its future collaborations with Western game makers will come via publishing deals with outside developers.
Thief is one of the IPs involved in this sale. Hoping they can actually do something good with it, but I expect it's probably dead.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Stray's release date has been pushed back to "summer 2022."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

Max Peck wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:57 am Stray's release date has been pushed back to "summer 2022."
Thanks, I hope everything will run smoothly)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This made me smile :D

From PC Gamer, Finally, someone turned 'inventory tetris' into an entire videogame
You're low on ammo. Wounded. Desperate. But you made it through the level and now you can take a deep sigh of relief and prepare for the next one. Time to heal, reload your weapons, and organize your backpack so you can fit all your gear neatly inside it.

That last bit is what you do in Save Room - Organization Puzzle. That's all you do, in fact. This inventory management puzzle game strips out the shooting and monsters and danger and literally everything else but the very act of healing, reloading weapons, and making all your guns, grenades, and gear fit neatly into your grid-based backpack.

And it's… pretty great?

Now available on Steam... Save Room - Organization Puzzle. On sale for 20% off ($1.59 USD) for the next couple of days.
Features
• Use your organizing skills to make all your items fit.
• Use your logical thinking to use the items in the right order to free some spaces.
• Understand the format of several items to find the best fitting.
• 40 unique handmade levels.
• Relaxing music and sound effects made for the game!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was going to say that's both hilarious and ridiculous, but at that price point... maybe also worth it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i super love tiling puzzles so this is right for me

(see also the free promo game for The Talos Principle, Sigils of Elohim)

there's also this one on Kickstarter (lots of the icons used look very... Ultima-y)

Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

This is the game I sometimes start during breaks at work but the worst thing about it is that
I cannot stop though I'm not a fan of this game: Fly Ufo
A typical representative of "black hollow" games as I call them, where you have to suck everything inside the character you play for.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing one of the freebies I picked up off Epic way back when: Bridge Construction: The Walking Dead. Help a couple survivors survive the walkers, meet up with Eugene and Daryl, and continue the plot. It's not as simple as just building a bridge over the zeds now. No, you have to synchronize waypoints and actions to drop stuff on the zeds. Eugene has a noise-maker that can attract the zeds, while Daryl can kill a couple zeds if he's facing them and moving toward them... But not if he's flat on his back from falling. At the end of chapter 1 the level gets pretty clever, and there are 6 chapters total, I think. Pretty fun puzzle you can tweak for the achievements as some of the levels have a bonus achievement if you don't use too much material. Figured out for that level Chapter 1-8, but did not kill all zeds. Probably could have tweaked something to do a clean-sweep.
Spoiler:
Daryl got stuck on a ledge, so I have to build him a way down, but it's steep enough that he'll be on his back. THEN there's a group of zeds I need to crush while allowing Daryl to reach the endzone.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If people are going to describe your game as "spreadsheets in space" then you might as well go with it.

Eve Online fans literally cheer Microsoft Excel features at annual Fanfest
There aren't many games for which built-in integration with Microsoft Excel would be a major feature whose announcement would draw literal cheers from fans. But Eve Online showed itself to be the exception when developer CCP announced coming Excel integration during its Eve Fanfest keynote this morning.

Through an official partnership with Microsoft, CCP said it is creating a JavaScript API that will allow players to "seamlessly export data from Eve Online" into the popular spreadsheet program. That "will help players access and calculate everything from profit margins to battle strategy, making day-to-day Eve operations easier to execute," the company said in a press release.

"It's not April fools; this is real," Eve Online Creative Director Bergur Finnbogason said on the Fanfest stage, receiving bemused laughter in response. "I'm not lying—we actually reached out to [Microsoft] and they were like, 'Oh my god, we love Eve!'"

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I bought Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition for PS5 and have been having a great time with it. I bought the game on Steam (non-Definitive) when it first came out, but only got around 20 hours in. I decided to double-dip since I prefer playing JRPGs on the console, and there were enough quality of life improvements in the definitive edition to make it worth grabbing on sale.

After playing some other misc JRPGs recently, I must say the simplicity of DQ is refreshing. No stupid multiple currencies and 10 types of upgrade gems, no convoluted battle systems. Just old-school Fight/Magic/Ability. While it does make it a bit on the easy side, my limited game time doesn't mind that anymore these days.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:57 am If you need a "chill" game, I would highly recommend Dorfomantik. It's a tile-based city builder(ish) that is incredibly relaxing and fun to play. Sat down to give it a try yesterday, and a couple hours disappeared in the blink of an eye. It's very relaxing and fun to build a landscape and see it evolve. Really enjoyed it/
Seconded.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unreleased 2001 version of Duke Nukem Forever seems to have leaked. I actually think it looks great. Probably would have been better than what we got.

https://www.ign.com/articles/unreleased ... ngly-leaks

I really wish the game had released back then. It was the perfect timing for another Duke. By the time it actually came out its type was long gone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

As a game that was superhyped, I think any version they would have released would have disappointed. There was simply no way they could have come up on top due to expectations.

And I dunno, but even when taking 2001 into consideration, the level design here looks incredibly blocky and uninspired. DN3D had better level design from the looks of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is not actual video footage of the Etchu Daimon train station. It's a recreation in Unreal Engine 5.

I honestly don't think I'd have been able to tell.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Saw this article on PCGamesN, Last as long as you can in new space survival sim game Tin Can
If you’ve ever wondered how you’d fare in the stressful circumstances of a failing spaceship, new space survival simulation game Tin Can helps you find out. Soaring through space in the titular Tin Can, a tiny escape pod full of failing systems, you must manage your power resources and shift components around in an attempt to keep yourself alive until you can reach safety.

Forced to evacuate from a colony transport ship, you are left drifting in your pod with no sign of rescue. Much like popular space game FTL: Faster Than Light, you must now decide which systems are crucial for your survival at any one time. Can you afford to switch off the emergency lights to make sure the oxygen generator stays up and running? Is it okay to disable temperature control to ensure that the radiation shielding is solid?

Your character, controlled from a first-person perspective, will suffer what developer Tin Can Studio describes as ‘real medical symptoms’ as a result of problems aboard the ship, rather than relying on heath bars to determine your current status. A lack of oxygen, for example, will make the player breathe faster and will also cause your vision to blur and your movements to slow until you eventually lose consciousness.

Components will break and disable in different ways – faulty electrical connectors delivering insufficient power, damaged buttons not triggering properly when pressed. You must trace failures to their source and resolve the issues, aided only by an onboard manual which provides detailed information about your pod and its components.

You will also have to deal with the consequences of cosmic events, from overheating as the pod passes in close proximity to a star, to ull damage from asteroid fields.
The game came out of Early Access yesterday. I hadn't seen it before, but there is a demo on the Steam page. I played the demo, which is playing through the tutorials. It's rather clever as the tutorials set you up for the main gameplay of the game. I thought enough of it that since the game is on sale for 35% off ($12.99 USD) for the next week I would pick it up and play it. I'll give some quick impressions here, but if I like it enough I'll start a thread for it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
The Game Workers Alliance, the union of quality assurance workers at Activision subsidiary studio Raven Software, has won their union vote. The votes were tallied today and the union passed with 19 out of 22 votes with two challenged ballots. The election makes the Game Workers Alliance (GWA) the first union for Activision Blizzard and only the second formal union in US video game industry.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Owlcat (Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) is teasing a new project.

It's obviously set in space, and they are known for their CRPGs, so I'd guess they might be doing something with Starfinder.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been paying Fallout 4 so much I've been calling my little Yorkies Deadmeat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me the best game soundtrack ever made. Vivienne I think is my favorite. So haunting.

Not sure the difference but this has some different songs in it I think.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For those that care....

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Replying to a post in the Sniper Elite 5 thread here as it isn't really specific to that, or any, game.
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:27 am I swear to God, I don't know how you do it. You finish games like 12 minutes after they're released. :shock:

I can't wait until you break the space time continuum and start finishing games BEFORE they're released. :wink:
Sorry, I would have finished sooner, but I spent a lot of time with V Rising over the holiday weekend.

You know all that time you spend playing board games both solo and in social settings? I spend that time playing video games. I wake up at 6am, shower and get on the computer. I don't start work until 9am. I play video games at lunch, I play games between leaving work and eating dinner and back to it after dinner. On weekends and holiday, it's basically just meal breaks. I watch at most 1 hour of TV a day except on Mondays when we have a "no video games" evening where I binge whatever is at the top of my list.

On the space time continuum side of things, I think I "finished" Forza Horizon 5 before its release. It had 3 day early access with whatever the premium edition was called and I finished it in that early access window. Of course I played for several hundred more hours because the finish line was really just the beginning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:D
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

You know all that time you spend playing board games both solo and in social settings? I spend that time playing video games. I wake up at 6am, shower and get on the computer. I don't start work until 9am. I play video games at lunch, I play games between leaving work and eating dinner and back to it after dinner. On weekends and holiday, it's basically just meal breaks. I watch at most 1 hour of TV a day except on Mondays when we have a "no video games" evening where I binge whatever is at the top of my list.

A bit of an ROG promotion, but I had just seen it a few days ago, and I think it pairs well with your post :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm Owlcat (Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) is teasing a new project.

It's obviously set in space, and they are known for their CRPGs, so I'd guess they might be doing something with Starfinder.
Nope, it is not Starfinder.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks good. I love space and lasers and that ground combat looked fun.

But Im just not sure after trying Parthfinder. I really was enjoying the story and the look of the game. Even the battles and such. But the rest feature totally killed it for me and made me delete it. I couldn't go an inch on the map without having to camp or be out of energy to do anything with. I dont want to f'n rest because im tired in a game. I have that in real life. I rest if Im injured in a game only. The camping / rest feature I loathed to a high point.

I really want to play it but going back is always put off when i remember why I quit. Yes some dont mind or even like it. NOT me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

10 Pathfinder Kingmaker Mods You Can’t Play Without
8. Rest Less Mod — Adjust Party Fatigue

For better or worse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker embraced the more realistic aspects of the RPG life, like fatigue. When your character or party members are fatigued, they'll be affected negatively across the board. Until you rest, it will only get worse. The Rest Less mod allows you to adjust the rate at which this fatigue occurs. You can lower the value so much that fatigue is basically nonexistent and, if you hate yourself, you can raise the value to make the system even more annoying.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Woohoo! Thats great news.....its what I wanted. Now I can actually play it...awesome.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:57 pm I kind of want an A500 Mini when it is eventually released, just for the brief nostalgia rush. I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be able to find one at MSRP though.
I still haven't seen any sign that the A500 Mini is available for sale here in Canada, so I just went ahead and ordered one from Amazon.com while they're still in stock. FOMO is a hell of a drug...

Now if I could just find a C64 "Maxi", I'd be all set on the nostalgia front.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow. While I don't particularly want a C64 Maxi, I sure do remember fondly a lot of those included games. Even after 35+ years? That's pretty crazy!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There are still some C64 Minis available at reasonable prices, so I may pick up one of those too. Ideally, if I wanted a replica 8-bit computer it'd be the Atari 800XL, but I do have fond memories of the C64 as well. I just really want the Maxi because it is essentially a full-size replica. I've seen some for sale on eBay, but I don't want one badly enough to pay scalper prices for it.

Edit: Oooh... The C64 Maxi is in stock at Amazon.co.uk... :think:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't think there's a specific thread for Ready or Not, so I'll post this info here. The devs have posted a six minute video concerning their soon to be released update which is enhancing the AI. I'm planning on getting it, but once it is out of Early Access.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Can you imagine how soul-crushing it must be to devote weeks of your life to developing the next great Battle Royale sensation, then have marketing shit all over your work by misspelling your title? I almost want to go in and photoshop the missing F back in for them. #NoFuckingTypos

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im guessing you are being sarcastic due to it being correct and its an NFT :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm fairly confident that "Grift" is the actual name of the game.

The First Blockchain Game Coming To The Epic Store Looks Like Shit
Developer and publisher Epic Games will make its official foray into crypto with Grit, a battle royale game from blockchain video game company Gala Games.

Previously, Epic Games clashed with video game marketplace Steam, which took a firm no-NFT stance in 2021. Epic’s founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said at the time that “Epic Games Store will welcome games that make use of blockchain tech provided they follow the relevant laws, disclose their terms, and are age-rated by an appropriate group.” And now the company is doing it. It’s really doing it.

Gala Games announced at its Galaverse convention on June 6 that it had “signed a partnership with Epic.” Because Grit was created by Team Grit not Gala Games (though the two separate companies entered a “partnership” in February), the game is currently listed as an early access game on Steam as well. This listing is clean of any reference to Web3, crypto, or the blockchain and hasn’t been updated since January 25, when Team Grit announced a delay and before it partnered with Gala. Gala Games did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Gala Games’ partnership with Epic, then, marks Grit’s formal online release. Gala implied in its presentation that there would be more blockchain games eventually released on the platform, though every title that Gala Games currently lists on its website is either in development, in beta, or in its “test” phases. You will likely have to wait a bit before the crypto gods descend and turn all of gaming into a Buttcoin valued at two whole cents.

“Grit is going to be one of the very first [NFT-based] games on the Epic Games store,” Gala Games said at Galaverse. “This is the moment that it’s all gonna start to change, and everybody’s gonna figure out that…why would you play any game where you don’t own what you buy in the game?”

Great question. I can think of a few reasons.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda in the mood for a WW2 shooter. Whats one thats kinda newish but not so new that Id remember it so much? Well fun too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First person? Action game or something more thoughtful?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 pm Kinda in the mood for a WW2 shooter. Whats one thats kinda newish but not so new that Id remember it so much? Well fun too.
Maybe not "new" but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed:

I also enjoyed:

Considering Wolfenstein the New Order is free on Epic until Thursday, you can't go wrong!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First person. Ive played all the Wolf games except the Youngblood thing. Im not sure how as I cant find anywhere where I own Wolf 2. But I have looked at videos and know I did all that. Weird.

And meant a more realistic WW2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It'll be a short list - it's not a popular setting these days, sadly. Especially not if you're not looking for a multiplayer game. Note that I haven't played all of these, so I can't promise whether they're good or not.

Battlefield 5 (campaign)
Call of Duty WWII
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (a little older)

If you get out of the first person, you've got the Sniper Elite games, which are great.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)