Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Blackhawk »

At the same time, there were quite a few games in those days that I bought because of the demo. There were a lot fewer games, so trying out new demos was always a good way to spend some free time, and it sold me quite a number of games. I still remember trying the demo for Deus Ex, getting about halfway through, exiting, and then going straight to the store to buy it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive narrowed my choices down to do I want to play Cyberpunk or Mass Effect 2 Legendary. It would be my first real go at Cyberpunk because I have a GTX 950 now that can play it and its all patched up and the ME2 would be my 5th play through but first Legendary version....with some added mods
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why play something new when you can see a new pair of pants on a character in a game you've played 5 times already? :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My vote for the best demo of all time was Unreal Tournament. It was so good I never bought the actual game.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:My vote for the best demo of all time was Unreal Tournament. It was so good I never bought the actual game.
For me it was the original Diablo. Spent all night babysitting my 33.6 modem downloading it (60MB, I think) and then hacking it to get the extra levels.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The best demo of all time was for X-Com: Ufo Defense.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Smoove_B wrote:Why play something new when you can see a new pair of pants on a character in a game you've played 5 times already? :wink:
So you’ve noticed I’ve been replaying Saints Row 4? Pants are optional.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New game announcement from Zachtronics, Last Call BBS

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently "last game from Zachtronics" is not a joke. :(

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:20 am Apparently "last game from Zachtronics" is not a joke. :(
Yeah, IIRC, Zachtronics' founder is moving on to a full-time teaching job instructing computer science for high school students.

While the title and Zachtronics pedigree has me intrigued, speaking as someone with fond memories of the forgotten world of BBS door games, I couldn't help thinking the video trailer for Last Call BBS seemingly contained surprisingly little relating to BBSes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If I'm reading the description correctly, the BBS is just the conceptual framework for the collection of minigames. When you play the game, you log on to the BBS and select the particular game you want to download/play. I think he's going for a pirate BBS schtick, where you're downloading cracked games rather than presenting them as BBS door games.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Totally forgot I own Days Gone.....maybe Ill delete Division 2 and try Days Gone instead
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:47 am New game announcement from Zachtronics, Last Call BBS

yeah this may be a Day 0 purchase for me
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got free next gen upgrades on my Xbox one series x for Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7. Nice.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to go retro... By almost 20 years. Star Trek: Elite Force 2. I remember playing Elite Force 1, but never played 2. Come to think of it, I've never played Bridge Commander either. Hah!

Good thing the engine can be set to do modern resolutions, but I had to disable the other two monitors, else the game stops working. Also, had to play with the config to get 16:10 (1080p) as the game predates these ratios. There's even a fan patch for widescreen. But had to play with the settings a bit to get it working.

Also got the Daggerfall Unity thing. May mess with it later. MUCH later.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I replay both Elite Force games regularly.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:50 pm Just got free next gen upgrades on my Xbox one series x for Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7. Nice.
I just got an upgrade for my XBone copy of Minecraft when I logged in yesterday. It broke my ability to smelt iron ore into ingots. I see that that's been a problem over the past 10 years or so. But, nothing comes up as a solution in recent days. :(

Guess I'll play something else.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Bought TMNT: Shredder's Revenger on PS4 yesterday. It's great retro fun especially with friends, as you can invite up to 6 people to play at the same time. Lots of chaos and mayhem :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Read a quote tonight about remasters that really hit me. Could probably be said about going back and replaying any beloved game from yesteryear. This was specifically about the recent Chrono Cross remaster, and sums up my feelings on it quite well.
If you’ve never played Chrono Cross before, The Radical Dreamers Edition is the way to play it. But if you have, I’d think carefully about whether you really want to play it again, or simply reminisce on your good memories of it.
I find that more often than not when revisiting older games I end up feeling…I dunno, disappointed? Underwhelmed? These games that I loved so much back then just turn out to be either janky as hell or simply not as fun as I remember. I know that has lots to do with it being hard to go backwards due to technological and gameplay advances, but it almost always ends up feeling kinda sad.

Maybe they’re right and just reminiscing on my good memories is the best way to go.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Aliens: Fireteam Elite. Whoever designed the inner workings of this thing needs smacked upside the head. They release regular patches. Here are the patch notes for the most recent patch:
ANIMATION
Fixed an issue with the reload animation on the Heirloom Standoff weapon.

CLASS KITS
LANCER: The Lancer Horde Slayer Kit Skin should now properly unlock for players who complete Horde Mode on Extreme or higher difficulties, and unlock automatically for players who have previously completed Horde Mode on Extreme or higher difficulties.

INTEL
Entries for each topic in the Intel menu should now be ordered according to the relative locations they are found in each Campaign.

GENERAL
Fixed a memory related issue that sometimes resulted in a crash
An animation, a script, reordering something, a bit of code.

1.4 GB download. Once downloaded, the installation takes an hour and ten minutes. This isn't a fluke or a bug - it's like that for every update, every person, even when it is just a small fix. It's like they recompile the entire game every time they make a change. I haven't looked (I don't care enough to), but I'm guessing that they did the paranoid thing and encrypted every single file to 'prevent' piracy. It's causes this sort of thing in other games in the past.

Patching the game takes an hour. Uninstalling the game and reinstalling it from scratch (fully up to date) takes five minutes. :doh:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm Bought TMNT: Shredder's Revenger on PS4 yesterday. It's great retro fun especially with friends, as you can invite up to 6 people to play at the same time. Lots of chaos and mayhem :D
FNM does TMNT

He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

any opinions on Märchen Forest for the Switch?

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... st-switch/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sorry hitbyambulance I don't know that game and don't have a Switch :cry:

As for me, anyone have opinions on the Steam version of Morrowind? It's on sale for 70% off and it's been so many years since I played it. Does it work well under steam and Win10?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:19 pm As for me, anyone have opinions on the Steam version of Morrowind? It's on sale for 70% off and it's been so many years since I played it. Does it work well under steam and Win10?
Sadly I can't answer your questions. I can tell you that I finally picked it up on sale solely in the hope that someday they will release the Skywind mod. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It works fine, and it's a good deal.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gameplay wise, what are the differences between the modern (3, 4, 5) Sniper Elite titles and the modern (new trilogy) Hitman games? What do they do differently?

I've played all three Sniper Elite titles, but I haven't touched a Hitman since Codename 47 and Silent Assassin.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The new Hitman games offer a lot of replayability with set in-game achievement goals. The methods of assassination are many and varied. There’s an early mission where one of the goals is to assassinate one target by dropping the other target on top of them from a balcony.

More points unlock different starting locations with you already camouflaged.

Your goal, in most cases, is to terminate the two targets and nobody else and get away clean. No leaving a trail of death in your wake.

As much fun as shooting Nazis in the face can be, the stealth and fun of Rube-Goldberging an assassination is a lot more fulfilling than a long sniper shot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, Hitman is much more about hiding in plain sight and minimizing the body count. A ghost run is much more expected in Hitman games. I pretty much never used a gun in the Hitman games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Also, there's a Free trial you can play. And you might have the full first game on Epic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got the first one, actually - and the second. I was trying to decide whether to grab the third while it's on sale for the ability to 'merge' the three. Since I wouldn't be playing them for a little while, I just wanted to get an idea as to whether it was more of the same as Sniper Elite before I went all-in (I always get bored with the repetition before I finish a SE game, and end up rushing through the last couple of missions.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:33 pm I've got the first one, actually - and the second. I was trying to decide whether to grab the third while it's on sale for the ability to 'merge' the three.
Turns out I also have the first and the second one in my library :roll:. What does the "merge" do for me as a player?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://profile.hitman.com/
HITMAN 3 is the final game in the World of Assassination trilogy. All HITMAN 2 players have the option of performing a one-time carryover of their progression, allowing them to start HITMAN 3 with their existing profile, XP, suits, items and unlocks.

THIS PROCESS DOES NOT IMPORT YOUR HITMAN 2 LOCATIONS. CHECK OUR PLAYER GUIDE FOR MORE DETAILS
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 pm https://profile.hitman.com/
HITMAN 3 is the final game in the World of Assassination trilogy. All HITMAN 2 players have the option of performing a one-time carryover of their progression, allowing them to start HITMAN 3 with their existing profile, XP, suits, items and unlocks.

THIS PROCESS DOES NOT IMPORT YOUR HITMAN 2 LOCATIONS. CHECK OUR PLAYER GUIDE FOR MORE DETAILS
Thanks. I'm downloading the Hitman 3 demo right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:43 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 pm https://profile.hitman.com/

Thanks. I'm downloading the Hitman 3 demo right now.
It's more than that. If you own 1 and 2 and set them up in advance, you basically get a free DLC for Hitman 3 for each that contains the entirety of the previous games. In other words, you can launch Hitman 3 and play all of the content from 1 and 2 with all of the mechanics and engine upgrades that have come about over the course of the series. The process is a little confusing, and I haven't really dug too deeply into it (as I haven't bought HM3 yet), but it seems like it would be the best way to play them.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:52 am Yeah, IIRC, Zachtronics' founder is moving on to a full-time teaching job instructing computer science for high school students.
Or not...

Goodbye Zachtronics, Developers Of Very Cool Video Games
With the decision made and announced, then, what comes next? For Barth, he’s hoping to work on something else, while other members of the team are likewise looking to try their hands at new challenges. “My original plan was to wrap things up at Zachtronics and then find a new job teaching high school computer science, but the timing was off,” he says. “I just finished my first year of teaching and Last Call BBS hasn’t even been released yet! I was hoping that I’d really like teaching and stay with that for a few years, but I learned that’s definitely not the case and I’m having a hard time imagining anything other than games in my future, in some shape or form.”
I can imagine how jumping into a high school teaching position in the middle of the pandemic might turn out not to be a great career move.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

probably not worth its own thread, but the current GOG sale got me back into gaming after a half-year hiatus with Shadowhand (from Gray Alien, developers of Fairway Solitaire). it's golf solitaire, but with some psuedo-RPG inventory trappings on top. i'm playing on the highest difficulty setting and you do need to pay attention to your 'loadout' before the dueling portions, or you will not succeed (and no hoarding your consumables here! they're essential for getting out of tough spots). a welcome addition is the need to observe the cards' suits during gameplay as different suits help 'charge' different classes of weapons' ready statuses, as well as to unlock different portions of the board in some levels, which creates a need to make further decisions on where to play a card. this game is somewhat less suited for the casual solitaire market - i tried to get my mom to play it and the number of options present and tactical decisions to be made was too much for her. (it's also by far the most violent and bloodiest solitaire game i've ever played, which isn't saying much at all, but there you go.) for $3.74, i could recommend it.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/shadowhand
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My only disappointment about Shredder's Revenge is that it's so short. It can easily be completed in 2-3 hours. With friends, there's no question about being able to breeze through it. The full price, which I paid, was around $30 CND, not including taxes, which makes it rather expensive for such a short game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:16 pm My only disappointment about Shredder's Revenge is that it's so short. It can easily be completed in 2-3 hours. With friends, there's no question about being able to breeze through it. The full price, which I paid, was around $30 CND, not including taxes, which makes it rather expensive for such a short game.
you're not supposed to use the unlimited continues, lol
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We're not though. We're just using whatever the game gives us. Sometimes one of us will actually get a game over, but it's still fairly rare.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:16 pm My only disappointment about Shredder's Revenge is that it's so short. It can easily be completed in 2-3 hours. With friends, there's no question about being able to breeze through it. The full price, which I paid, was around $30 CND, not including taxes, which makes it rather expensive for such a short game.
I've enjoyed my first playthrough of Shredder's Revenge (I'm on the last level, I think?) but I'm happy I could play it through Game Pass rather than buying it.
Hodor.