Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Max Peck »

I have 241 games on EGS, but 5 of them were purchases.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:48 pm After claiming Neon Abyss today, I have 93 games in my Epic Store library.

I've purchased one game from them for a grand total of $15. :lol:
I have 214 222 [per playnite] (though some are dupes, like Satisfactory experimental is listed separately from the release branch)... but have purchased many more than you... I am not 100% certain, but I think it is around 5.
Last edited by coopasonic on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:59 pm I have 241 games on EGS
i have the same number, but zero purchases
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Even more exciting news! Apparently Ubisoft is going all-in on crypto buzzwords because Yves Guillemot is on some sort of vision quest, regardless of the negative reactions from the public and his own employees.

Ubisoft Boss Tells Employees That NFTs Are Just The Beginning
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot held a video Q&A this week to try and reassure developers about the company’s controversial new push behind NFTs, according to multiple sources who were in attendance. But they said his answers were vague and leaned on buzzwords like “metaverse” and “web 3.0,” leaving some as disheartened by the company’s latest PR disaster as before.

The meeting, which sources said wasn’t yet scheduled when the week started, came after the official reveal of Ubisoft’s new blockchain-based technology called Quartz was widely mocked online, with a video showcasing it receiving over 40,000 downvotes on YouTube. Kotaku previously reported that developers at the company were critical of the rollout as well, with an internal announcement exploding in hundreds of comments that ranged from skeptical to dismissive.
When Guillemot was pressed for details about what new types of gameplay NFTs and blockchain technology would make possible, sources told Kotaku the CEO didn’t really provide any. Instead he spoke more broadly about how concepts like the metaverse would allow players to build and sell virtual houses, and have agency in the game creation process itself.
The one legimate use I can see for NFT blockchain technology in gaming would be to make the license for a game the actual NFT, allowing the license to be resold and capturing a portion of the proceeds from the transaction for the developer. That would actually be consumer-friendly, even if it leaves other issues like the environmental impact of blockchain operation. But using NFTs for something like artificially scarse cosmetics is just a transparently predatory cash grab.

If Guillemot is really that desperate to seperate the rubes from their rubles, he should just announce a game that will never be made and start selling JPEGs of game assets and be done with it. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not an expert. I know the basics, but don't have a deep enough understanding (let alone a room full of developers making plans) to cheer or boo at this point. I'll wait until a couple of games come out, see how it's implemented, see what the impact is, and decide then.

I do know that video games are in a tough spot. The market won't allow the actual price of games to budget much. Based on inflation, games should be well over $100 apiece right now, but the market won't allow it. I accept that developers need to find new ways to monetize (this is why we live in a world full of microtransactions and 'P2W' games), and if it can keep more in business and keep prices where they're at without negatively affecting the games, my experience, or my hardware, then more power to 'em.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:48 am If Guillemot is really that desperate to seperate the rubes from their rubles, he should just announce a game that will never be made and start selling JPEGs of game assets and be done with it.
Chris Roberts would sue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

burn
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

With gambling and loot boxes being what they are right now, I'm sure they've needed something else to turn to, hence crypto, but I don't see how this isn't as bad or worse than lootboxes. This kind of thing needs to be regulated.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

With Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2 recently coming to Gamepass, you can now either play those games on Xbox or attempt to play them on PC. I say "attempt" because they are absolutely horrible ports that are completely unplayable without extensive mod fiddling. But you have absolutely no way to play them on Playstation unless you still happen to own a PS3.

Do better Squeenix. :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Did Microsoft sweeten the deal to make that happen? Maybe it's Sony that needs to do better. :coffee:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled RDO since I have a working controller now. Really like the feel of this XBone one. But RDO is still behaving strange. I logged in to see my textures are washed out and all catalogs, wall pictures, and other stuff is flat black. Like an x-ray. A shutdown reboot fixed it but then I go into town and enter a store and bam Im back at desktop. And this game takes FOREVER to load into. its almost not worth it. Many more troubles and Im gonna delete it for good lol.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Maybe do a driver update?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Minimum Specifications:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
Memory: 8GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
HDD Space: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

He's never going to update the OS, come hell or high water. He's found his hill and he'll die on it, as is his right. At this point, I'd think the winning move is to find a cheap used last-gen console for gaming.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:32 am He's never going to update the OS, come hell or high water. He's found his hill and he'll die on it, as is his right. At this point, I'd think the winning move is to find a cheap used last-gen console for gaming.
Oh, I know. And that's his right. But when he keeps having problems running new games that don't support his 13-year-old OS, it's quickest to just point out where the issue lies before people spend time trying to help him troubleshoot the game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

True dat.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just remembered a CD-ROM title i had back in the 90's called The Dark Eye (narrated by William S. Burroughs!) that i am wishing i still had. it became worth a bit of money after Burroughs died and i sold it as i needed cash at the time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:52 pm The Dark Eye
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:12 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:52 pm The Dark Eye
oh yeah. but i did have a backup i made on CD-RW before i sold it (not sure that image is good anymore - well, it doesn't matter...)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

They've made lots of games based on The Dark Eye since then. It's actually a whole series now.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:52 pm i just remembered a CD-ROM title i had back in the 90's called The Dark Eye (narrated by William S. Burroughs!) that i am wishing i still had. it became worth a bit of money after Burroughs died and i sold it as i needed cash at the time.
Have it, finished it, thought it was great at the time. Actually I'm sure it was at least several years old when I played it.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Total War Rome II is even more fun than the first game. I just wish the devs would learn that the mouse should control my camera. Im going to have to dig deep and rebind all the keys.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:53 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:15 pm
Pyperkub wrote:
Insta-Death jumping puzzles in games with limited save checkpoints. Buffy only has saves when you clear a level, which means every single insta-death fall means starting the whole damn level over again.
waves from Bionic Commando (2009)
My favorite game at dealing with this was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (and sequels). Having a slight, depleteable time rewind for these things is perfect, and in the context of the Prince of Persia narrative style, where the "that's not how it happened" voice over would pop up was awesome.
Aaaaaand a final battle of button-mashing quicktime events to really cement the mediocrity.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:58 pm Total War Rome II is even more fun than the first game. I just wish the devs would learn that the mouse should control my camera. Im going to have to dig deep and rebind all the keys.
Hold the middle mouse button to rotate the camera with the mouse ala mouselook.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Remnants of the Precursors 1.0 has been released, if anyone is looking for something along the line of a MOO fix. And it's free.

https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So glad I can finally pull these out of hiding in the spare room.

Behold, the grand opening of the Skinypupy Arcade. 8-)

It is rather fascinating to see what games the kids gravitate towards. So far, the favorites have been Dig Dug, Pigskin (a cartoonish medieval football game), Rampage World Tour, and Joust. We made a list of "Mom & Dad's Favorites" to get them started, but they've been having a blast picking through the 2,000'sih games (arcade cab) and 110 pinball tables to see what clicks.

Told them that if they misbehaved, I'd start making them actually leave quarters to play. :lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, the arcades of my childhood didn't have foot-warmers!

I'd love that. But I'd put in dark red berber carpeting, paint the walls black and purple, and turn off all the lights (save for the obnoxious neon.) And follow with a pizza scent generator.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The dog is not impressed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:57 pm The dog is not impressed.
She never is.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Very cool Skiny!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to try the free NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered and was able to max out every detail on my RTX2070, and it is fast, but it also reminded me why I didn't like this as much as the OTHER games on NFS, like Most Wanted. Somehow, those point to point races just doesn't interest me, story mode or pursuit mode or not. And those "rapid response" against the clock in traffic? Eh... NOT that interesting. At least in Most Wanted, you feel as if the cops are reacting to you, and you feel a sense of accomplishment when you hit a speedbreaker (an obstacle you knock over and cause a multiple vehicle pileup). You never really got that feel in Hot Pursuit, even if they borrowed a bit of knockout Paradise and make you go after multiple perps.

Will probably go try WRC9 instead. I just don't quite feel like re-learning how to drift around corners in NFS.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Eh, I dislike the modern approach to Need for Speed games in general. I had bought Most Wanted for the original Wii, and was frustrated with just how aggressive the police was to the point that it made the game feel unplayable at times. What I'd like to see is a game where police react realistically to infractions such as speeding or aggressive driving, kind of like how it was done in Mafia, but applied to a racing game where police are present.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister gave me a $50 pre paid Visa so now Im looking closely at all the game sales going on before they end. I cant use the Via to get cash or at a terminal...it doesn't have raised numbers. Its basically only usable online where I can type in the number. Im leaning hard to Mass Effect legendary at $25 because its time for a 6th play through or so. I like Valhalla but know it wont run at all and Days Gone but Im afraid it will run like crap. Also worried with Terminator as someone was going to gift it to me in the wishmas giving but when I looked it up it is pixel shader 5.1 and my gtx 760 is 5.0...plus only 2 gig vram.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:07 pm Im leaning hard to Mass Effect legendary at $25 because its time for a 6th play through or so.
From everything three minutes of research tells me, it won't run on Windows 7. The only apparent workaround involves considerable hex editing.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:07 pm My sister gave me a $50 pre paid Visa so now Im looking closely at all the game sales going on before they end. I cant use the Via to get cash or at a terminal...it doesn't have raised numbers. Its basically only usable online where I can type in the number. Im leaning hard to Mass Effect legendary at $25 because its time for a 6th play through or so. I like Valhalla but know it wont run at all and Days Gone but Im afraid it will run like crap. Also worried with Terminator as someone was going to gift it to me in the wishmas giving but when I looked it up it is pixel shader 5.1 and my gtx 760 is 5.0...plus only 2 gig vram.
Daehawk, since you remain intransigent about continuing to rely upon a thirteen-year-old obsolete OS for gaming, I'd strongly suggest bookmarking System Requirements Lab's Can I Run It? tool, and checking there prior to purchasing any somewhat contemporary games.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just figured all the originals ran so it should. From videos they dont look much different.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:07 pm My sister gave me a $50 pre paid Visa so now Im looking closely at all the game sales going on before they end. I cant use the Via to get cash or at a terminal...it doesn't have raised numbers. Its basically only usable online where I can type in the number.
What on earth are you talking about? Pre-paid Visa can be used in the store, like any other Visa card (and raised numbers haven't been a thing since they stopped using manual credit card imprinters). How about you actually spend the money on food?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

WRC9 shows that Kylotonn managed to learn what makes people play WRC games and tweak that to achieve a better experience. However, WRC9 feels like a slightly improved WRC8. It feels like a DLC pack, rather than a brand new game.

Campaign vs career is back. The default mode has you managing the team AND win races as the driver. While participating in more events makes you more money, it also wears out your crew faster. So you may end up hiring twice as many crew, which doubles your expenses. If you don't give a hoot about that, play career instead. You need a mechanic (to make fast repairs between stages), engineer (to improve your vehicle's reliability), financial adviser (to improve your overall financial situation, make more money from races and spend less on stuff), agent (find you more events and more lucrative events, as well as sponsor deals), meteorologist (predict the weather, and thus your tire choices and set up for that day), and finally, physical therapist (to help all of the crew last longer). Different crew has different ratings, and if you don't hire them from the pool they may not be available later. This feels a bit borrowed from V Rally 4.

The tracks are VERY reminiscent of the ones in WRC8 so far. Though the tutorial mode is a bit better. RIght now I have the difficulty set to medium, with ABS on and Traction Control off. If I don't mess up, I can probably beat the AI by 10 seconds, so I will probably bump up the difficulty slightly. I play on gamepad. Right now I tend to over control the car and have to counter-correct, rather than do just enough. But that's probably just getting familiar with the car. I'm still in JWRC, the baby FWD division with only like 6 events on the calendar. There's still WRC3, WRC2, and finally WRC to compete in.

The JWRC car on a simple dirt track tutorial level really needs a ghost car and/or a better UI to indicate how far off are you to make the gold/silver/bronze pace. It also fails to show you WHERE you made the improvement. You know a graph that can compare your speed around the course vs. the expected speed? Need something like that. You need a coach and handholding on the DRIVING, not on the team management.

It's clear that Kylotonn borrowed liberally from other rally games. There's a "test area" (free play) though it's nowhere as cool as Dirt 4's DirtFish course.

The hand-holding at the beginning is also a bit heavy-handed but it works, about the team management aspects.

I've won the first event in the snow, despite having been penalized by a few seconds in the first few stages. Once I rolled over, another time I brushed the wall and somehow got 5 sec penalty for that. But once I avoided that on the later stages I was beating the AI and easily took the entire rally.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds