Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

Aaaand it wont play due to a missing driver or some driver thing..
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:31 pm Aaaand it wont play due to a missing driver or some driver thing..
Anytime you run a game that old, you're going to have to expect a bit of troubleshooting before it will play.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It was missing some driver plus it has some archaic cd copy protection scheme.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:42 pm I've been FAR down that research rabbit hole, and for a while strongly considered building an arcade cab myself - until the Legends cabs (both arcade AND now pinball!) came out and it basically shot a hole in my DIY project simply due to cost comparisons. Add to that the materials price hike in the pandemic, and there's just no justifying it (unless you just want to do the building).

I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Legends stuff, even though many say you need to replace the exciters on the pinball table with better ones on day one.
Whelp, after spending most of today doing research, I'm going to go the Legends route instead of the Arcade 1Up. Ordered the Legends Arcade cab today, and will likely be picking up the Legends Pinball as well.

Now to find some room in the basement...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:36 pm It was missing some driver plus it has some archaic cd copy protection scheme.
Keep in mind, it is a twelve year old game. Realistically, games that old typically do require some finessing.

Did you try following the PC Gaming Wiki instructions? (i.e. download the 1.01 patch, update to the x64 version of the TAGES DRM, and then run the game in compatibilty mode for Windows XP SP3):
pcgamingwiki.com wrote:Set up the Amazon Digital Download
The best way to currently get the game digitally is via Amazon Digital Download. After buying and downloading the game, follow these steps:
  1. Install the downloaded game.
  2. Update TAGES (x64 version for most).
  3. Run the game in compatibilty mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3.
  4. When first launching the game, enter the DRM key that you got. Now you're good to go.
Dunno if that'll work for the original DVD version, but it's probably worth a shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't read the wiki. Deleted the tages stuff and did use the patch. So a reinstall will have me trying harder. And it took forever to install. And I dont have $20 for the Amazon version.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sometimes, asking the publisher (if they are still around) can yield dividends. I had an old copy of Brothers in Arms, and its copy protection really messed up my system. I managed to uninstall it and asked Ubi if they can give me a Steam key/Ubi key instead, and they did.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be nice if they gave me the Amazon version. :)

But thanks AB! That WIKI info you posted worked. Its was the TAGEs driver that was failing due to age. Im guessing its some obscure DRM,. I used that patch then used the x64 TAGEs exe and the game is running. WOOT!.

Man my memory is lax. I loved both these games so much. They were different and ahead of their times. But playing now it seems so clumsy and floaty almost. Ill get used to it Im sure. Going to try to do a full play through of it. Im skipping Butcher Bay this time as Ive played it multiple times but think I only played Dark Athena twice...and I dont remember it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve now tried three times to get into Greedfall. The world looks so interesting, but the game ends up simply being a janky, watered-down version of Dragon’s Age Inquisition. It’s filled with boring fetch quests and dull combat, but is propped up slightly by a unique setting.

Shame, as it seems like there’s some potential in that world.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its because Im an old fart now but Athena is kickin my butt. I die constantly and I have it on the easiest setting. Im sure the other 2 play throughs many years ago were on normal lol.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:36 pm I’ve now tried three times to get into Greedfall. The world looks so interesting, but the game ends up simply being a janky, watered-down version of Dragon’s Age Inquisition. It’s filled with boring fetch quests and dull combat, but is propped up slightly by a unique setting.

I loved Greedfall. When the world fully opens up to the other cities you can visit, it becomes a much better game and the jank almost disappears.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:36 pm I’ve now tried three times to get into Greedfall. The world looks so interesting, but the game ends up simply being a janky, watered-down version of Dragon’s Age Inquisition. It’s filled with boring fetch quests and dull combat, but is propped up slightly by a unique setting.

I loved Greedfall. When the world fully opens up to the other cities you can visit, it becomes a much better game and the jank almost disappears.
Interesting. I’ve hit the wall around 5 hours each time because it’s just so dull and janky and the back and forth fetch quests are so dull.

Maybe I’ll try and stick with it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Interesting. I’ve hit the wall around 5 hours each time because it’s just so dull and janky and the back and forth fetch quests are so dull.

Maybe I’ll try and stick with it.
Yeah, the fetch quests were annoying, and there are more of them, between cities even, but when the game opens up, the storyline becomes more interesting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Doing okay so far in Titan Quest Act V: Ragnarok. Only died once or twice, basically pulled too much aggro and got mobbed. The trick is to pick them off one at a time, and never get surrounded, where if you got frozen or petrified you die. Having a bunch of rings and whatnot that minimizes freeze duration and such helps a lot.

Right now, I got so much regen (10+ hp per second) I barely need the potions I carry. As I need a LOT of lupine claw (if you played Ragnarok, you know why) I think I'll go back to older levels to farm those, plus take on some bosses with my L44 warden (instead of my older L20 self) and see how that goes, to farm some relics.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EA Play is $5 and Xbox Game Pass is $10 and comes with EA Play. Seems thats the better deal with more games. Well unless you dont want to pay $5 more or dont like the MS games there.

Looking at my EA history my wife got me EA Play Nov 20. By mid Dec I had finished both Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda when I cancelled.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hah, just breezed my way through both Telkines, Typhon, AND Hades. Didn't get much loot though. :-/ May have to do it again.

Given that I am now doing almost 1000 damage per strike... and 10+ HP regen per second... Doable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont recall what I played in that game. Been a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My mind is dwelling on Baldurs Gate. So much so I bought the enhanced edition I was missing the other day for $4. Figured Id get to it one day...maybe. Still not sure. I finished all the BG games and all the Icewind Dale games but have never considered a replay really. They were so huge, so fun, and so detailed I feel like I remember them too well and now they are pretty old to try to go back to.

Ive played 70% of the newer games that are like them...the Pillars one, Tyranny, Original Sin and stuff......and didn't like them all that much. Couldn't get into them. Did the best with Pillars but didn't finish it either time I tried. New stuff either is missing old features I liked or they add new features I truly hate like camping or requiring rest. I rest in BG when Im hurt not because Ive moved around the damn map too much..yawn. Its a time waste feature in new stuff. Pass

But here I am thinking to install BG. Im worried Ill just dislike it because now its old, looks old, and stuff I loved then I cant take now. Afraid it will ruin my good memories of the fun I had with it originally.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:42 pm I've been FAR down that research rabbit hole, and for a while strongly considered building an arcade cab myself - until the Legends cabs (both arcade AND now pinball!) came out and it basically shot a hole in my DIY project simply due to cost comparisons. Add to that the materials price hike in the pandemic, and there's just no justifying it (unless you just want to do the building).

I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Legends stuff, even though many say you need to replace the exciters on the pinball table with better ones on day one.
Whelp, after spending most of today doing research, I'm going to go the Legends route instead of the Arcade 1Up. Ordered the Legends Arcade cab today, and will likely be picking up the Legends Pinball as well.

Now to find some room in the basement...
Ahhh, you bastard! So jealous.

You mentioned 300 games on the arcade cab? Nay, friend. MANY more than 300. Many many thousands. Just adding a Raspberry Pi will turn that sucker into amazing MAME + much more cab. Very simple to do as well.

Look up Coinops X or Retropie + Legends and you will get a ton of hits. there is also a very cool hologram generator for the top as a mod.

SW hologram pinball topper (scroll down for vids - note you don’t see the blades in meatspace like you do viewing on screen)
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shop ... am-topper-
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:36 am Look up Coinops X
Way ahead of ya. :)

Picking up the arcade cab tomorrow, ordering the pinball on Friday. The toughest part will just be waiting until Christmas to play them.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Titan Quest... Just finished Act V: Ragnarok. Beat up most of the Asgardian gods, including Wodan (aka Odin), Freya, Baldr, and Tyr (?), only to find out...
Spoiler:
The princess is really Loki, and what I just did seems to have triggered Ragnarok... Then Loki ran off, even as the frost giants attacked... Now I need to head to find Mimer, who knows everything, beat him up so he spills the beans. Did that, and he revealed that Loki has also allied with the fire giants who'll mount a second attack behind the Asgardians. The only way to stop it is to break into Yggdrasil the world tree by defeating a giant dragon. then enter fire giants' realm, defeat Loki, then Sutr, to stop Ragnarok.

Well, did all that. By this time, I'm L47 or L48, with movement speed in the 130%, doing 800 damage per second melee, and 650-700 standoff (right now it's thrown, but it could be arrows) and I have shield batter so most baddies takes only a few hits. I also have anti-demon, anti-undead bonuse. And I carry like 100 potions on me, and barely gets to use them as my regen is over 10 per second.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Keeping my trend of playing games way after everyone else but buying everything new that looks interesting....playing Viktor Vran and Dawn of War of II which for some reason started working again. for a new game I am playing Into the Pit which is an FPS Heretic sort of thing except every journey into the pit your powers reset and you have to work your way down the pit and pick powers which means every pit adventure could be played a different way

Viktor Vran is pretty good so far and I think better than Van Helsing which I played quite a bit of though I have not tried out the different classes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The guy that did those very funny "Skyrim IRL" videos apparently murdered his wife and her lover. :shock:
As NBC San Diego reports, police were called to an apartment in the city’s East Village last week, where they discovered the bodies of two people, Abulaban’s wife Ana (29) and her friend Rayburn Barron (28). It’s believed that Ana and Barron had been having an affair, and that the Abulabans had been “in the process of ending the marriage.”

Deputy District Attorney Taran Brast said that Ali had been “stalking” Ana since October 18, and that late last week he not only vandalized their apartment in a luxury complex, but “also installed an app on his daughter’s iPad that allowed him to monitor activity in the apartment.”

It’s alleged that last Thursday afternoon, after Ali had “heard his wife with another man,” he visited the apartment, found Barron there, and shot him three times in the head and neck, before also firing “one bullet into his wife’s forehead.” Video footage from a neighbouring apartment reportedly shows Ali leaving the building directly afterwards.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not gonna blame him for that. He should have walked away and took everything but emotions and cheating are a warped bag. Funny how the title is 'wife and her friend' and not 'wife and her lover'
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:28 pm Not gonna blame him for that. He should have walked away and took everything but emotions and cheating are a warped bag. Funny how the title is 'wife and her friend' and not 'wife and her lover'
You're not gonna blame him for killing two people? Ooooooookay... :?

Look, I'm with you that cheating is truly horrible, but there's no circumstance where it justifies murder. None.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:28 pm Not gonna blame him for that.
I think I understand what you are trying to say, but that's not coming off well.

I absolutely blame him. I understand that such things happen, or we wouldn't have the "crime of passion" label. But there is nothing that excuses blame. Period. Assuming he did it, he knew exactly what he was doing. And knew it was wrong. That would make him 100% to blame.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

"Finished" Titan Quest on normal, including Atlantis, not sure if I really want to try epic, which is going to be MOTS.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:00 pm
I think I understand what you are trying to say, but that's not coming off well.

I absolutely blame him. I understand that such things happen, or we wouldn't have the "crime of passion" label. But there is nothing that excuses blame. Period. Assuming he did it, he knew exactly what he was doing. And knew it was wrong. That would make him 100% to blame.
Installing the app on his daughter's tablet makes it premeditated. I imagine that first degree is going to be on the table.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh so it wasn't spontaneous? Oeww thats bad territory there.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Installing the app on his daughter's tablet makes it premeditated. I imagine that first degree is going to be on the table.
No, it does not. Without any additional evidence, you can't prove that he specifically intended to show up there with a gun when he saw that his soon-to-be-ex-wife was with her new boyfriend.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s alleged that last Thursday afternoon,

(1) after Ali had “heard his wife with another man,”
(2) he visited the apartment, found Barron there,
(3) and shot him three times in the head and neck, before also firing “one bullet into his wife’s forehead.”
That demonstrates to me that he intended to show up when there was a man there with her, and he was armed.

Obviously, I am not a lawyer and not involved in the case, but that's going to be a heavy lift, if those allegations bear out, that it's not premeditated.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is understanding why someone would cross a line.

And then there is accepting that they were justified in doing so.

They are different things. I can absolutely understand why he would do that. I absolutely don't feel that he was right, justified, or anything but to blame for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since I have Ubisoft+, I am entitled to play the Ultimate Edition of Riders Republic for free. I didn't really have much interest in a game where so many sports are associated with doing tricks; to me any sport that has style points isn't really a sport (debate that as you will :wink:). Still, I'm willing to give it a try. I played for a few minutes and went through two mountain bike races, where being first is the most important thing 8-) and I won both races, and at Standard Difficulty to boot, no Easy stuff for me :D. Turns out playing racing games for umpteen years using a controller has given me a pretty good command of the basics and even my sixty-eight year old reactions can do OK as well. I'll post more impressions but unless other folks are playing I'm not going to start a special thread for the game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pulled from a huge DC page of info I linked here.

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... =5&t=98649
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like APB Reloaded and Fallen Earth are making a comeback. Didn't know this. I beta'd both. Didn't think much of them but free is free right...hmm.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/28/fall ... c-is-live/
https://www.gamersfirst.com/download
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Anyone playing Necromunda Hired Gun? Been several patches since launch so jumped in again. Fairly entertaining after I learned you should do several campaign missions before trying any side missions. Having canine pet that kills things is certainly a plus.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry never heard of it I dont think. Will look it up.

Edit: Watched a video. It tickled a memory. Might be fun. Maybe on a sale.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I enjoyed Fallen Earth, the moderate amount that I played it back in the day. It wasn't the smoothest, most polished game, but it not being a fantasy MMO setting was fun/interesting to me. That said, I'm not really looking to jump into it again right now. But yeah, free is free.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They're all pretty awesome with it all. Its nice not to hear some bemoan their participation in something they didn't want to do or it was all their agent blah blah yadda yadaa. We dont like those types of course. We like people like these who seem to love their fans and the work they did.

Ya know I dont hear their character in their normal speaking voices a lot....until I tab over to another tab and let the video play THEN I hear all my crew mates talking. Its weird.