Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by TheMix »

Revisiting the STALKER series via the Anomaly mod.

I'd forgotten how utterly unforgiving those games are... <blink>... dead... load save... take 2 steps... <anomaly>... dead... load save... avoid anomaly... <mutants>... dead... load save... flee... <shot by soldiers>... dead...

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:08 pm This looks interesting. There is currently a demo available on Steam.

How do you get the demo. I've seen a bit and am curious and dont want another EA city builder. All I see is wishlist.
It looks like the demo was just for Steam's Next Fest, which ended on Monday.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This engineering sandbox is already so complex you can build games inside its demo
They say restrictions breed creativity. A completely blank page or a directionless pile of building blocks can be an intimidating thing, and that feeling hit me full force when I first loaded into the demo of Plasma, a sci-fi building game coming to early access next year. But as I got acclimated to its surroundings and systems, I found some helpful constraints that pushed me toward a satisfying loop of tinkering and tweaking.

The developers describe Plasma as a “creative engineering playground," and it is a pure sandbox sim. Its demo was just released last week during Steam’s Next Fest along with a cute behind-the-scenes making-of for the trailer, which shows how it was entirely put together with in-game tools. With no campaign in the demo and none planned for release, the focus in Plasma is really on creativity.

Even in demo form, Plasma gives you robust systems to build your own structures, robots, and worlds. There are hundreds of components, and all of them can be customized. There’s also a visual programming language you can use to control and manipulate almost every mechanical component.

While the demo is still currently available, it appears that it is slated to expire on Oct 16.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I see Ed.
Spoiler:
Ed's dead.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:25 pm This engineering sandbox is already so complex you can build games inside its demo
They say restrictions breed creativity. A completely blank page or a directionless pile of building blocks can be an intimidating thing, and that feeling hit me full force when I first loaded into the demo of Plasma, a sci-fi building game coming to early access next year. But as I got acclimated to its surroundings and systems, I found some helpful constraints that pushed me toward a satisfying loop of tinkering and tweaking.

The developers describe Plasma as a “creative engineering playground," and it is a pure sandbox sim. Its demo was just released last week during Steam’s Next Fest along with a cute behind-the-scenes making-of for the trailer, which shows how it was entirely put together with in-game tools. With no campaign in the demo and none planned for release, the focus in Plasma is really on creativity.

Even in demo form, Plasma gives you robust systems to build your own structures, robots, and worlds. There are hundreds of components, and all of them can be customized. There’s also a visual programming language you can use to control and manipulate almost every mechanical component.

While the demo is still currently available, it appears that it is slated to expire on Oct 16.
Demo has been extended to October 23rd. I now have the game wishlisted :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Tenants reaches 1.0 tomorrow. I've been following this game since Early Access but I was able to resist :roll: buying it early. It looks very interesting and if you watch the video you can see how much has changed since it first hit early release.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:15 pm The Tenants reaches 1.0 tomorrow. I've been following this game since Early Access but I was able to resist :roll: buying it early. It looks very interesting and if you watch the video you can see how much has changed since it first hit early release.

I've picked this up and have put in an hour, just finishing the tutorial. It's kind of a cross between House Flipper, the Sims, and some game where you manage tenants and the apartments they live in. So far it is enjoyable. If folks are interested I'll start a separate thread and give more impressions.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

'modernized' Arkanoid coming out this month - i am interested in this:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/arkanoid_eternal_battle

(i remember buying the MS-DOS port of the original back in 1988... or was it 89? and was it from Target or Software Etc? and i got Arkanoid II in 1990... or was it 91...)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think every timed battle royal type game should have this song playing the entire time in the background.....

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished the game with two endings (wrong thread)
Spoiler:

The Golden Route where you get General Avlora in your party. Started a New Game+ where you retain all your party members and items. The main benefit so far is a new set of higher mock battles to utilize your badass party.

I wonder what happens as the story progresses to the point where you fight Avlora. Does she leave your party for that fight, or is there a new general?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A nice article on upcoming city builders to be released before the end of this year. In spite of the title, there are actually six games to be discussed, see towards the end of the article for more info: 5 exciting city builders coming out before the end of 2022
I'm always on the lookout for the next great city builder, and there are more of them in development now than ever before. Like Fraser noted earlier this year, no one out there is really making a play for the big urban city builder market these days, but just because Cities: Skylines is the uncontested king doesn't mean there aren't lots of smaller and more niche builders being made, many with survival systems, historical themes, or sci-fi settings.

2022 has already been an exciting year for city builders, with lots of new games to challenge our building and management skills. There's The Wandering Village, where you build on the back of a giant, lumbering dinosaur that carries your city through the world, Farthest Frontier, the excellent medieval-themed survival city builder from the makers of Grim Dawn, and Frozenheim, a Viking city builder that includes raids and RTS combat. And just this week, Banished-inspired city builder Settlement Survival left early access for a full 1.0 release. It's a great time to build!

But it's worth looking down the road at what's coming, because there are lots of exciting-looking city builders on the near horizon. I know a lot of us are waiting for Manor Lords, though developer Slavic Magic hasn't announced a release date for it yet, and we still don't know when Frostpunk 2 is coming out, but it probably won't be until 2023.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why cant they give us a Flintstones like city builder. Set it in that world of funny cavemen where machines are replaced with dinos and rock quarries are where people can work. Let me build up a rocktopia.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:00 pm Why cant they give us a Flintstones like city builder. Set it in that world of funny cavemen where machines are replaced with dinos and rock quarries are where people can work. Let me build up a rocktopia.
A Flintstones city builder... Now that would go straight onto my short list!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've put in just under nineteen hours on The Tenants which under my rule of thumb of one playing hour per dollar, I'd have to say that I've gotten my money's worth. However, as I should have expected knowing myself as I do, it is a game where a lot of the enjoyment comes from putting a couch just here, adding a painting there and positioning that armchair just so. Me, if I have to put X number of items in a room, I just randomly toss them down. So I'm done with the game, but not with any intent of throwing shade. If you are the more creative type, you will really like the game which has a surprisingly great depth of gameplay in it. However, for me, it reached its limit of enjoyment. More opinions available if asked.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:00 pm Why cant they give us a Flintstones like city builder. Set it in that world of funny cavemen where machines are replaced with dinos and rock quarries are where people can work. Let me build up a rocktopia.
A Flintstones city builder... Now that would go straight onto my short list!
You know, that may be the best idea I've ever seen Dae post. I too would be in!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now, if we can just convince Warner Whatever-they're-called-now.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's a great idea, Dae. Given the fact that Fred Flinstone himelf is supposed to be in construction. They could even have it in a cel-shaded style which would set it apart from many other building games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t forget to ensure he has a nice relaxing evening.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 pm That's a great idea, Dae. Given the fact that Fred Flinstone himelf is supposed to be in construction. They could even have it in a cel-shaded style which would set it apart from many other building games.
Not really construction - he worked in a quarry. :geek:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:56 am
Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 pm That's a great idea, Dae. Given the fact that Fred Flinstone himelf is supposed to be in construction. They could even have it in a cel-shaded style which would set it apart from many other building games.
Not really construction - he worked in a quarry. :geek:
Well Ok, it's somewhat related as you still have a lot of machinery or construction-related contraptions involved.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dangit now I really want a Bedrock city builder. Are there any game devs secretly in our forum?? I have a friend who is one but is busy making a space game.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:53 pm Dangit now I really want a Bedrock city builder. Are there any game devs secretly in our forum?? I have a friend who is one but is busy making a space game.
Dawn of Man is a Neolithic city builder, and apparently it's pretty good too.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I will happily spend 40 hours running around through Tyria in Guild Wars 2. It's a blast.

But the very instant I hit the level cap and get into the endgame, my interest absolutely plummets. I don't have a clue how to I'm supposed to progress my gear, my builds, my specializations, and trying to piece it all together just gives me a headache. I now have five level 80 characters, all of which played right up until hitting the cap, then never progressed any further. It all just feels like such a confusing clusterfuck once you hit max.

I really wish it wasn't as I'd love to actually figure it out and keep playing. I've made some very concerted attempts, but it just doesn't click with me at all for some reason.

This happens to me in most MMOs, tbh. Once the carrot of leveling is finished and you settle into the grind and the typically more complex endgame systems, I find it really hard to keep much interest going.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I played LOTRO almost exclusively for 3 years. When I got my favorite hunter character to level cap, I didn't want to play her anymore. I know exactly how you feel.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:29 am But the very instant I hit the level cap and get into the endgame, my interest absolutely plummets. I don't have a clue how to I'm supposed to progress my gear, my builds, my specializations, and trying to piece it all together just gives me a headache. I now have five level 80 characters, all of which played right up until hitting the cap, then never progressed any further. It all just feels like such a confusing clusterfuck once you hit max.
That pretty much describes me with any MMO at level cap. On another forum years ago, I was told by someone that the real game begins at level cap, that the game before that is all training for what's to come. If that really were true though, Blizzard wouldn't keep extending the level cap with each expansion. The fact is, I think what comes at level cap is a very different kind of experience that isn't for everybody, as it requires lots of commitment, and it's something I feel many MMO developers haven't figured out. For many, the end-game content just isn't worth the time and effort and it can in fact be very polarizing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always enjoy the low stuff and dont care for end game stuff in MMOs. Its why I end up with 20-30 characters :) In STO, GW2, SWTOR....I just love to create a fresh character and see the story unfold for them. over and over. Trying new things and playing different ways until I do it all and burn out. Or run out of slots to make new characters. I hate MMOs that limit me to less than the available mix of classes and races and areas.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If the endgame is the equivalent of forced MP loot drop grinding, I have no interest.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm the opposite. I look forward to the endgame content because I like to master games and play for the longevity. My gaming preference is quality long-term versus quantity (blow through fast and go to the next thing). In most games, the greatest fun is the endgame.

No wrong way of course, just my own preference.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:05 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:29 am But the very instant I hit the level cap and get into the endgame, my interest absolutely plummets. I don't have a clue how to I'm supposed to progress my gear, my builds, my specializations, and trying to piece it all together just gives me a headache. I now have five level 80 characters, all of which played right up until hitting the cap, then never progressed any further. It all just feels like such a confusing clusterfuck once you hit max.
That pretty much describes me with any MMO at level cap. On another forum years ago, I was told by someone that the real game begins at level cap, that the game before that is all training for what's to come. If that really were true though, Blizzard wouldn't keep extending the level cap with each expansion. The fact is, I think what comes at level cap is a very different kind of experience that isn't for everybody, as it requires lots of commitment, and it's something I feel many MMO developers haven't figured out. For many, the end-game content just isn't worth the time and effort and it can in fact be very polarizing.
I tend to agree. The other problem is that there is typically very little explanation or guidance on the end game systems or how to progress. Part of the problem with GW2, for example, is that I really have no idea what I’m supposed to be doing now. I guess I could just keep exploring the world, but without the carrot of level increases, it kinda feels pointless. I know there’s higher level gear (Ascended gear, maybe?), but I have zero clue on what activities I’d need to do to progress towards that or any idea where if even look to find out. I was interested in finishing the story, but the next step is in an area I can’t figure out how to get to. Following the guide markers drops me into an underground tunnel system that I spent an hour trying (unsuccessfully) to get out of last night. That’s not very much fun.

I did stick with the FF XIV endgame for quite a while, mainly because I knew what to do (and it was really simple). Run dungeons, get tokens, improve gear. There weren’t a hundred different systems and currencies that I needed to figure out.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:05 pm That pretty much describes me with any MMO at level cap. On another forum years ago, I was told by someone that the real game begins at level cap, that the game before that is all training for what's to come. If that really were true though, Blizzard wouldn't keep extending the level cap with each expansion. The fact is, I think what comes at level cap is a very different kind of experience that isn't for everybody, as it requires lots of commitment, and it's something I feel many MMO developers haven't figured out. For many, the end-game content just isn't worth the time and effort and it can in fact be very polarizing.
It is also, however, where their whales reside. It's their money-maker. If they release an expansion every 18 months, most of the 'leveling experience' players will drop their sub after two or three, while the end game or PvP players will stay subbed for the long haul. It's why, despite Blizzard always upping the level cap, they also constantly shorten the leveling experience leading up to the current content, and then push players constantly toward the endgame and toward certain playstyles.

I've played end-game content in a few MMOs (and yeah, I also prefer the pre-end exploration and questing experience.) The problem, for me, isn't that it is grindy, it's that they want to challenge their core demographic. That means that it tends to be group-mandatory, high-coordination content that requires either making a commitment to a guild or playing with the worst-of-the-worst random people who are either going to do shitty things, or play in the least fun way possible. Try running random pre-heroic dungeons in WoW (or heroics once the first couple of raids are out.) If you don't want to run the entire thing at a non-stop sprint, bypassing any element that isn't absolutely 100% essential for the daily, don't bother.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

50 DKP MINUS!!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:58 pm The problem, for me, isn't that it is grindy, it's that they want to challenge their core demographic.
The problem about the core demographic is that end-game content speaks entirely to a different demographic than the rest of the game. It's like they're functionally two very different games that are very much at odds with each other. And most of them do a very poor job of reconciling that, because as it's been pointed out by @skinypuppy there's almost zero guidance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Their core demographic doesn't want official guidance (which tends to be sanitized and packaged for the masses when it is actually provided.) They want (or are, or want to be) third-party theorycrafters. That demographic either thrives on uncovering the data and figuring out how to manipulate all of those convoluted endgame mechanics and statistics, or they thrive on following instructions from someone who does (IE - watching build videos on YouTube.)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, Ok, but that doesn't make much sense. They're supporting two entirely different demographics in the end. And given that the end-game content is more competitively driven, I'm not entirely surprised most people that aren't into that end up stopping completely.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:44 pm Yeah, Ok, but that doesn't make much sense. They're supporting two entirely different demographics in the end. And given that the end-game content is more competitively driven, I'm not entirely surprised most people that aren't into that end up stopping completely.
Those two demographics, from their end, are the same: Dedicated players who consistently play endgame content as it is released, keeping an active subscription. The only real difference between the two is that one group likes to figure it out, and the other group prefers to learn from the first group. Once they log in, though, they're pretty much the same thing. They really are supporting two main groups (raiders and PvPers), but they have been doing that since the beginning. The last time I played, so much worked differently in PvP content than it did in the PvE content that it was almost like they were two completely different games with different mechanics.

There are also roleplayers, the collectors, the achievers, and those who play it like a single-player RPG (enjoy the quests, get to the end, quit.) The RPers don't want much. The collectors get sets, pets, item looks, etc. The achievers get a whole new set of achievements. The single player folk get a few more levels of content (which doubles as a tutorial for the new end game for those interested in such things, plus establishes the next rep grind.) The non-hardcore are supported and always have been - they just get less content and much simpler content (most of which doesn't require elaborate balancing.) They're just not the priority, as they're a fraction of the total player base, and an even smaller fraction of the total income.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:58 pm Those two demographics, from their end, are the same: Dedicated players who consistently play endgame content as it is released, keeping an active subscription. The only real difference between the two is that one group likes to figure it out, and the other group prefers to learn from the first group. Once they log in, though, they're pretty much the same thing.
Thinking about it, and what portion of the endgame I did play makes me think that there is a good parallel to sports. There are the pros. In sports they're the people who get their pictures on sports cards. In MMOs, they're the 'named' world-first and server-first raiding guilds, and the PvP/Arena champions. And then there are the fans. The pros play better than anyone else, and the fans love the watch them and then emulate them. The pros in sports get contracts. The pros in MMOs get lots of followers on Twitch and YouTube. The fans in sports play on a local league or with their friends in the back yard and try to perform like the pros. The fans in MMOs watch their chosen streamers, copy their builds, listen to them explain the mechanics, and then go out and try to do the kind of things that the pros do.

And just like sports, they're incredibly competitive about it.

But MMO fans need in-game is pretty much identical to what the pros need. The pros just take better advantage of it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Ultimate Edition is now available, optimized for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. This edition includes all 25 previously released DLCs and features like native 4k support, higher resolution textures, improved physics, cross-gen multiplayer modes, and fully optimized DualSense controller support on PlayStation 5.
PS Store price is $50.
all players who own the game on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One will receive a 50% discount on the PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series S|X versions.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

MMOs were pretty much the first live-service game. But yeah, the comparison to sports, or even e-sports is apt. But many people just aren't into that mindset, and there's the divide. I'd actually like to see a study on those who leave at cap, vs those who stay for the end-game. I think it would be quite interesting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it would be interesting. But given the impact it has on their bu model, it's probably very closely held. All we know for sure is which audience gets the most investment.

FWIW, I generally also play for the journey and quit at the cap, or limit myself to the solo aspect of the end game - although I haven't touched any MMO in two years.