Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 pm What is that Star Trek game? It looks a bite like Judgement Rites but seems different.
The power of the mouse wheel tells me it is a classic title - best known for it's graphics, but with no real gameplay.
Spoiler:
Star Trek Screen Saver
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, it looks like one of the Berkeley Systems Star Trek screen saver utilities. They made a couple of different versions, one for classic Trek and one for TNG. I'd guess that's the classic Trek version.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Max Peck wrote:Yeah, it looks like one of the Berkeley Systems Star Trek screen saver utilities. They made a couple of different versions, one for classic Trek and one for TNG. I'd guess that's the classic Trek version.
Correct on all accounts.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hentzau wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:23 pm A box of fun, unearthed from my attic.

I really need to throw these out. I have about 6-8 boxes like this.
some of those are actually worth a few $$ on the collector's market
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, I had a garage sale last summer and some guy came by looking for old games like that. I had a copy of Kingmaker (the AH DOS game that I never played because when I got it, it wouldn't run on any modern system). Dude was interested, but when I opened the box it was in, I found the cat marked her territory on everything inside it (several board games as well).
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:02 pm Kingmaker (the AH DOS game that I never played because when I got it, it wouldn't run on any modern system)
I have the Win95 version, complete with all the inserts including the 1997 Avalon Hill catalog.

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wow, I didn't know they had a Win95 version. My favorite of all of their computer games was 1830, but that too only ran in DOS. And while History of the World wouldn't install on Windows versions after 98 (I think), I was able to simply copy the directory and get it to work.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember fondly reading reviews of Kingmaker and eating it up. One of my mags..I think CGW...had a Kingmaker cover. I was so into it....but never bought it.

EDIT: Here it was!

Remember you can view covers and download or read online almost all old issues of CGW HERE at their museum

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's odd that it seems to be largely overlooked. There is information online about the 1993 Amiga/Atari ST versions and the 1994 MS-DOS version, but virtually no mention of the 1997 PC CD-ROM version that I have aside from some long expired eBay listings.

JCC

Post by JCC »

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past is 30 years old (in the US) today. Wow. Great article from Gamespot about this. May have to fire this up tonight on the Switch. Probably still my favorite Zelda game. For sure, the one I have played and replayed the most.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its my favorite Zelda game and favorite SNES game. Rented and finished it multiple times. I recall renting the NES one and really hating it but Link to the Past was just about perfect.

Also.....

JCC

Post by JCC »

The original Zelda was great, but it has aged a little roughly. Zelda 2 is the black sheep for me. I got as far as the final boss, but never beat it and ran out of patience with it. That and Majora's Mask are the only ones I haven't finished. I get that people love MM and I understand why they love it, but as much as I have tried, I just don't like it. Too much BS between the dungeons for me, and I don't like the reset mechanic at all. That killed Deathloop for me too, though I keep meaning to go back to it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 pm What is that Star Trek game? It looks a bite like Judgement Rites but seems different.
Looks like a Star Trek screen saver. (sorry, way too slow). And yes I also have boxes of boxes (surprising no one).
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gearbox Boss Randy Pitchford Buys Hollywood's Magic Castle

Well I knew he loved the place but never thought he'd end up owning it. Bet it cost him a pretty penny.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I picked up Insurmountable (Epic link) (Steam link) for free on the Epic store, but I almost got it for 50% off on the Steam store first :roll:. Anyway, I've put in an hour on it and it's pretty nice. It is a "rouge lite" (so they tell me, or is it rouge like?) and I've been keeping an eye on it since I first saw it on Steam. Today was the release of the Update 2.0 which apparently made significant changes to the story-telling aspects of the game, but since I didn't play it before 2.0 I can't tell you the different. Anyway, it's free for a week and worth it at that price :wink:. It doesn't take a lot of commitment of brainpower and time, but it does have some definite strategy to it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That looks neat, thanks for the heads-up.
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:58 pm It is a "rouge lite" (so they tell me, or is it rouge like?)
I’ve always wondered that as well. I’ve seen bith, never knew which was correct
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:58 pm It is a "rouge lite" (so they tell me, or is it rouge like?)
No, you're thinking of those cosmetic tutorials that the kids are all doing on Tiktok. Rouge-lite is the genre for minimalist or understated make-up, while rouge-like is when they use common everyday items found around the home in place of actual make-up. The latter can be quite entertaining, even for those of us who usually have no interest in cosmetics.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:24 pm
No, you're thinking of those cosmetic tutorials that the kids are all doing on Tiktok. Rouge-lite is the genre for minimalist or understated make-up, while rouge-like is when they use common everyday items found around the home in place of actual make-up. The latter can be quite entertaining, even for those of us who usually have no interest in cosmetics.
:clap:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:27 pm
Spellcheck failed me again :roll:. It should be damn smart enough to consider context as well.

And... :clap: from me too :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I almost commented. But I wasn't sure if that's why you put the quotes.

But my response would have been shamed by Max.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:36 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:27 pm
Spellcheck failed me again :roll:. It should be damn smart enough to consider context as well.

And... :clap: from me too :wink:
First time I noticed this 'rouge' in terms of gaming was with Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. I saw nearly everyone misspell it as 'Rouge' Spear, and it annoyed the heck out of me. And it wasn't even due to spell-check as it more or less didn't exist back then. I kept thinking, "What are you, an Elite Makeup Squad??"
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing 3 mmos at the same time. Thats a first even for me. I have 15 gig free on my HD.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:14 pm Image
FWIW, I have really enjoyed a few rogue-lites (Everspace, Void Bastards), but generally dislike rogue-likes. Rogue-likes you reset to zero on death. Game over, restart. With rogue-lites you still go back, but you keep (as the Isgrimbot posted) some degree of advancement. In Everspace you keep the money, perks, and crafting recipes you unlocked when you die. In Void Bastards you keep the gear you've unlocked or upgraded. That means that each run it gets a little easier to get further, and even though you're dying, you have a sense of progression.

In Everspace why you keep coming back to life was part of the mystery the story addressed. In Void Bastards you were one of a series of prisoners awoken, one after the other (it felt like the first true rouge-lite - Paranoia.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:12 amVoid Bastards
Well, you got me to install this one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The only modern rogue-LIKE that I can say I've played and gotten into is Risk of Rain 2. The individual runs are short enough and engaging enough that doing it over and over again remains fun. Also co-op!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The stakes have never been higher for World of Warcraft's next expansion
It's no secret that World of Warcraft has had a rough couple of years. Shadowlands initially showed a lot of promise: Torghast seemed intriguing and fun, the new zones were colourful and new, and Azeroth's afterlife held many possibilities to meet old heroes and villains.

But the shine of Shadowlands faded quickly, perhaps more so than any previous expansion. This puts many eyes on Blizzard as it prepares to officially announce WoW's next expansion on April 19th. And now, more than ever, Blizzard really needs to learn from past mistakes and solve some of the bigger problems that have plagued Shadowlands.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:35 pm The stakes have never been higher for World of Warcraft's next expansion
It's no secret that World of Warcraft has had a rough couple of years. Shadowlands initially showed a lot of promise: Torghast seemed intriguing and fun, the new zones were colourful and new, and Azeroth's afterlife held many possibilities to meet old heroes and villains.

But the shine of Shadowlands faded quickly, perhaps more so than any previous expansion. This puts many eyes on Blizzard as it prepares to officially announce WoW's next expansion on April 19th. And now, more than ever, Blizzard really needs to learn from past mistakes and solve some of the bigger problems that have plagued Shadowlands.
Meh...I'm still playing it :) Right now my subscription is paid through Jan of 2023 with in-game gold. I'll probably keep buying more increments until I have it covered through the end of 2023, just in case Microsoft changes the subscription model or gold purchases.

But I don't do dungeons or raids anymore, and to be competitive in that end-game content, the grind is real. Blizzard went completely bonkers with the game systems. There are at least 12 new currencies in the last expansion alone, plus time gating, plus crazy loot RNG.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We all used to live in it. Our guild went from UO to EQ to DAoC to whatever and so on until WOW. It died there. But I played until around 2012. Ill never go back these days though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't played yet. This is the first expansion I haven't played since vanilla. The last few all just felt like the same content with different skins, which kind of burned me out. One of these days I will get back to it when I can afford the expansion plus the sub.

It's funny - despite playing once every year or two, I have never played in the late winter. I have had What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been (the holiday meta achievement) finished except for Valentine's Day for a decade.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Richard Garriott would like you to remember that he used to make good games and trust him and his pal Todd Porter with their new NFT MMO project.

Lord British is now Lord Blockchain
Richard Garriott is one of the most influential and successful RPG designers in history. He'll be forever associated with the Ultima series, which he began in 1981 with what is considered both a pioneering work for RPG design and the first open world game. Garriott would ultimately design and direct nine mainline Ultima games as well as Ultima Online—again, a pioneer in MMO design—before a spell at NCSoft, the main product of which was the ill-fated Tabula Rasa (and a later lawsuit).

As if that wasn't enough for one lifetime, Garriott is also an astronaut: He took a self-funded space flight in 2008, following in the footsteps of his astronaut father Owen Garriott. Garriott participated in the first zero gravity wedding in June 2009 with his wife Laetitia Garriott de Cayeux. More recently, last year Garriott travelled to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and was elected president of the Explorers' Club.

With all that other stuff going on, Garriott's role in the games industry has become more marginal—whereas three decades ago he was right at the centre of its future, now his most recent project is the kickstarter-funded RPG Shroud of the Avatar. Yes, it was a bit like Ultima—Garriott sold the rights to the series to EA in 1992, but the publisher has shown little interest in using the licence since the disastrous mobile spin-off Ultima Forever in 2012.

Garriott and industry veteran Todd Porter (a designer on Ultima 6) are now working on a new game that's about to break cover, with the working title Effigy. Brace yourself: it uses the blockchain. Though as Lord British explained in our interview, it's not the same pitch we've seen with most blockchain-based games so far.
Yes, Shroud of the Avatar was a bit like Ultima. It was also a bit like a scam and a bit like a steaming turd. But I'm sure this new project will be a steaming pile of success. :coffee:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya unfortunately Im in the same opinion. I love the guy and his old company Origin Sys and their games. But after UO lets be real...Richard has made meh. Tabula Rasa was kinda ok but not enough played it. Shroud of the Avatar I just didn't care for. Im not even sure what else he has done.

As far as block chain and fungalwhatevers I dont care and lean to hating it. I wont do any business with a company that has this crap with games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can copy a Twitter url and paste it here and it shows up. I dont know how to do that with Facebook so Ill just toss the url.

Guy discovered 500-1000 pc games and software. Many still shrinkwrapped.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3112041 ... /30509177/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:38 pm You can copy a Twitter url and paste it here and it shows up. I dont know how to do that with Facebook so Ill just toss the url.

Guy discovered 500-1000 pc games and software. Many still shrinkwrapped.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3112041 ... /30509177/
You can't share private groups.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh. Didn't know it was private. Been a member so damn long.

Heres some pics of the games.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So how did he come across them?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know. Scanning the post I dont see where he says.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Eh, he probably just stumbled across his own backlog from 1998. It happens.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My physical computer game "backlog" probably dwarfs my Steam backlog. I still have pretty much all the media going back at least to the Amiga days, and all the manuals and whatnot, but most of the boxes were emptied out and tossed long ago. There are a few, like Kingmaker, that somehow survived the purges for one reason or another.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have three 200-CD binders with all of my physical games in them. The vast majority of the ones I'd replay I've rebought digitally, but I can't get rid of them. The boxes are gone, the cases are gone, the manuals are gone, and the CD keys are recorded in a document. All of the patches for any I've played in the last 22 years are all stored on disk.

If I lost the internet, I'd still be in games for years.