Saint's Row IV

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Saint's Row IV

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't see another thread anywhere, but it's due for release (PC and consoles) on 8/20/13.

IGN just posted a 7 minute NSFW gameplay video.

Based on my experience with the last game, I am nearly certain this is a day one purchase. From the press release:
In the next open-world installment of Saints Row, Deep Silver Volition continues the story of the Third Street Saints by elevating their status to the highest level - the leaders of the free world. In Saints Row IV, the head honcho of the Saints has been elected to the Presidency of the United States. But the Saints are just getting started. Now the larger-than-life insanity of the Saints series gets a new twist with a catastrophic alien invasion, and the aliens have transported the Saints to a bizarro-Steelport simulation. Wield gargantuan superpowers and fight to free humanity from alien granddaddy Zinyak's mental grasp. Escape the simulation that's trapped the Saints crew, or die trying.

Saints Row IV lets players delve into an arsenal of alien weaponry and technology that will turn each Saint into an ultimate entity of destruction. Utilize out-of-this-world superpowers to fight all the way to the top. With intensified action and enhanced customization, players can use their newfound superpowers and leap over buildings, outrun the fastest sports cars, or send enemies flying with telekinesis in the greatest, most insane installment of Saints Row yet.

Save the world, Saints Style.
So yeah. Saint's Row...but with super powers. Aliens and Mech Suits. In.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Re: Saint's Row IV

Post by Sepiche »

I never really got into SR 1 or 2, but I loved 3. And the features of 3 + super powers sounds awesome.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote:I never really got into SR 1 or 2, but I loved 3. And the features of 3 + super powers sounds awesome.
Just the opposite here.The first two were just out there enough to differentiate but the 3rd got stupid and this sounds even stupider.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote:Just the opposite here.The first two were just out there enough to differentiate but the 3rd got stupid and this sounds even stupider.
I could see being dissatisfied with the story and characters a bit (although who doesn't love Zimos), but the gameplay was fantastic. That far overshadowed any other issues for me.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have no interest in playing a realistic open world “gang” sandbox game and if I did I would probably choose GTA. I thought SR3 was good over the top ridiculous fun and this takes it to the next level. Sounds good to me.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

They had me at Dubstep Gun.

There will always be a GTA for people who want a more serious take on it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm totally in the same camp. I tried SR 1 and 2 but didn't enjoy them at all. I think it was a wise move to differentiate themselves from the GTA series by making SR 3 an exercise in escalating insanity. It's just a fun game. I'm actually pretty excited for this new one, the more I read about it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe I should reinstall part 3. I got it in a bundle and only played maybe 30 min of it. had better stuff to play. More my style stuff. But perhaps I should give it a second chance.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Definitely should give it a bit more of a chance. The game starts off with an insane bang, so much so that you don't think they can take it further, but they do somehow, and that's where SR3 shines.

I still think it's funny that Saints Row is now the "fun" game, and GTA once the bastion of hilarity is now the realistic crime drama game.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm obligated to buy every Saints Row game just for the music the in car radios have introduced me to.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oh yeah. I'm in.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried 2 and it's kinda lame for me with that "paint the graffiti" routine. 3 I have no problem with as I know they're satirizing the genre (and culture in general).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I credit the original Saint's Row for bringing about the finest gaming advice ever bestowed upon me in my long gaming career.

I was stuck on a particularly vexing mission and getting frustrated. In those days, if I got frustrated with a level I was known to throw controllers, turn the console off in disgust, punch pillows, etc.

A friend of mine was watching me get angrier and angrier. He tries to help by giving it a shot. Tries 3 or 4 times. No luck. He turns to me. "I'm going to need a chair and a cold glass of sweet tea." I get the required items. He proceeds to place the chair 3 feet from the TV, sits down, drinks his tea. Then picks up the controller and tries the mission again. Failure.

"This $&@&& is impossible!" I cry, ready to just turn it off. He says, "We will sit here for 20 more turns if we have to, but we will beat this mission today." He sits backdown, takes a sip of tea, tries again. It took another ten attempts but damn if we didn't beat the mission.

Ever since then I just stopped getting mad at games. If I get stuck I simply go get a drink, pull up my chair, and try the mission over and over until I beat it. And I always beat it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hehehe Im going to need a chair and cold glass of sweet tea...funny. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer -- War for Humanity -- totally NSFW.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote:New trailer -- War for Humanity -- totally NSFW.
I thought you'd come to post about the Collector's Edition, which comes with a Dubstep Gun.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

So awesome. I can't wait.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:New trailer -- War for Humanity -- totally NSFW.

That was pretty ridiculous so I'm in!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm almost as excited about this as I am for Europa Universalis IV and Rome: TW 2.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I've enjoyed all of them - enough to play 'em, rather than just own - and while I'm mostly still a GTA series fan, I've no problem like their "take" on this type of gaming.

Saint's Row IV? I'm in again. Though...not right off

I'll read your guys impressions with enthusiasm though.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just in time -- the Independence Day trailer -- NSFW, as expected.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Couldn't find a Saint's Row the Third thread, so this will have to do.

I know Smoove is a big fan, so hopefully he'll stop by.

Can someone fill me in on what Saint's Row is about? The little I skimmed when it was newer and more popular was that it was sorta like GTA but more outlandish, with almost amusement park type (comic character costumes and such)stuff thrown in.

My son is coming up on his 10th birthday and he is agitating for this. I'm about 80% not happening but I'd like to understand what I'm saying no to better so I don't have to feel guilty about keeping him from something he wants.

I've already made quite a few mistakes with him, but the couple of trailer videos I saw, while not completely out of line, hinted at a lot more sexuality (stereotypical gangster type objectification rather than anything healthy) and violent. I'm not opposed to violence but I am extremely uncomfortable playing narcissistic gangster types who treat innocents as something to abuse for their amusement. I have no interest in playing GTA of any sort, and won't let him play it either.

I also find overly visceral violence to be too much for someone of his age. Prototype has been off the list for it's tearing apart of innocent people.

So looking for opinions on the game itself.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably because we were talking about it over in the console forums.
My son is coming up on his 10th birthday and he is agitating for this. I'm about 80% not happening but I'd like to understand what I'm saying no to better so I don't have to feel guilty about keeping him from something he wants.
Feel free to read what was probably one of my greatest gaming moments of 2012. I mean, are you ready to explain this to a 10 year old?
I also find overly visceral violence to be too much for someone of his age. Prototype has been off the list for it's tearing apart of innocent people.
The game is violent, but not like comic book violence in Prototype. Essentially the last two Saint's Row games are really parodies of the GTA series. They're completely over the top and ridiculous in story, concept and execution. When you think, "that was totally insane, there's no way it's getting any crazier than that", 15 minutes later it does. Over and over. It's a great ride. Not for a 10 year old, IMHO.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. I'll read your link.

I'm not surprised you don't recommend it for a 10 year old, I just need to learn why I don't want him to play it so I can explain it to him, rather than "because I said no" argument.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Absolutely not for a 10 year old. Maybe 14ish/15ish if they are mature, but that's kind of stretching. But i also dont have kids. A lot of sexualization, a lot of violence. Using giant Dildo's as weapons for one, a couple of really sexual situations. Can literally dress up teh a woman protagonist to very skimpy clothing.

Will say its frigging fun as hell though. I never finished it though. Am sure Smoove's thread will give ya better insights.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote:I'm not surprised you don't recommend it for a 10 year old, I just need to learn why I don't want him to play it so I can explain it to him, rather than "because I said no" argument.
I guess I'd need to understand what he saw that he think's he'll be doing that has him so motivated to keep asking. To me, it's a much more "cartoony" version of GTA. It's still violent, though I can't recall any specific violence on innocents or women (I mean, outside of one of the guys in your crew being an actual pimp). But where GTA is all serious, this is so over the top to be ridiculous so if there was violence on innocents or women it was to such a parodied level to be absurd. I don't even know that a 10 year old (or a teenager) would get half the humor. There are so many meta-jokes and jokes for old-school gamers -- that's what makes it great.

I mean, from this trailer you might think it's a gang-based action drama - maybe something like Max Payne. But late in the game you're playing as a toilet in a TRON-like universe. It's beyond description - but there is a video.

If he wants to play because of the freedom to explore, use different weapons or vehicles there are probably half a dozen other similar games to play.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

GreenGoo wrote: I'm not surprised you don't recommend it for a 10 year old, I just need to learn why I don't want him to play it so I can explain it to him, rather than "because I said no" argument.
Unless your explanation of the birds and the bees have already started, it'll be kinda hard to explain that little problem. Just say it's fun but you need to have the context to know it's fun. It'd be like giving a kid in kindergaten controls to Halo or COD. All they see is flashing pixels. They don't really know what's blood and gore and gibblets.

Then give him all the Lego games he can handle. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reminds me of that anti-gun ad...
Spoiler:
Two mothers just outside the house main door, smiling and chatting, then two boys started out holding something as they do mock sword battles with something that's making whirling sounds and flashing lights. As they run past the camera we saw horrified faces on the mothers' faces. One of them looked at the other, the other still had her mouth open... Yes, the boys have found the motorized... toys. And they are still doing the swordfight thing. Then the words: you wouldn't want your kids to find your toys. Why would you let them find your gun? (or something to that effect)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

One of your advisors criticizes your first Executive Order of putting stripper poles in the White House instead of dealing with aliens. And your character shrugs off the remark by being proud of it. Funny as hell but not at 10. Maybe 14-16.

Great gaming and FUNNY over the top hilarity but not for kids. Teens are going to find worse on the internet anyway.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jag

Post by Jag »

I let my 10 year old play Just Cause 2, but no way will he ever look at any SR game until he's a full adult!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just when you thought Volition couldn't make Saint's Row any stranger, they doubled down with a Satanic Disney Musical for Gat Out of Hell.

Brilliant!
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't realize that Saint's Row IV was essentially Crackdown - one of my all time favorite games. Super jumping around a city? Yes please. If I could somehow mod the Crackdown announcer voice in this game, that would be fantastic.
"Skills for kills, Agent, skills for kills!"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I know there was discussion earlier but kids and GTA/SR comes up often at my house.

What I always tell my son is that NOBODY should be be playing these games and that I'm embarrassed that I sometimes enjoy them. I make sure that when I do play them, there's zero chance of anyone walking in on me. When he can make the same arrangements, he's welcome to play.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zarathud

Saint's Row IV

Post by Zarathud »

Ha. I bought Saint's Row IV for my brother and my mom's boyfriend...because they both live with my mom and will get busted when she sees them playing. It's the same reason my grandfather bought my brother a Playboy swimsuit calendar every year after he hit puberty.

I plan to tell my kids they can play when they're Fogies. Right now, they will run and tell my wife if I'm playing anything even close to scary...like Spore.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know everyone is all-consumed with GTA V, but I just have to say that Enter the Dominatrix might be the best DLC I've ever played. I have never said "What the hell???" so many times since...well, playing Saint's Row The Third (and IV). Worth the price of admission alone if you love Zimos. And Don Was. And Gimp suits. No judgement.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I guess GTA V is still downloading... :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

13 hours to go! (25GB remaining) :grund:

But seriously. It's still a good game. And as much as I love GTA, until I can fly, super jump and run at incredible speed there's nothing like Saint's Row IV. It really is the closest thing I've ever played to Crackdown on PC.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOL.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Finally got around to playing this one as I wait for a deal on GTA V. As nuts as I thought 3 was this one is even more batshit crazy. My character tried to have sex with Keith David.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hamlet3145 wrote:My character tried to have sex with Keith David.
You need to level up a bit more before you can.
He won. Period.