Steam Trading Cards discussion

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Carpet_pissr

Re: Steam Trading Cards discussion

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JetFred wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:23 pm Oh I'm sure my actual net is zero at best after power bill, but no one can prove it, so stop wrecking my fantasy.
LOL, I seriously almost didn't post that bc I knew you were sensitive about it! :D

Literal thought: "How will this post affect JetFred's mental state?" :P
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

You are so considerate LOL. I certainly preferred idling the games that simply opened a launcher with no ramping of the CPU/GPU. But yeah, back when I was crazy about it, I'm sure I burned all of that up. I am paranoid about trying to idle the games with some program that could threaten the status of my account.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so I just activated the Humble Bundle free Surviving Mars giveaway and it gave me access to the trading cards.

So my guess now is that if it's part of a STEAM free giveaway, no cards are provided. But if it's coming from an outside source and you're activating a key that was gifted to you (someone else paid for it; it was free on another site), the restrictions don't count.

You may now go back to hoarding cards and not selling them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 pm Ok, so I just activated the Humble Bundle free Surviving Mars giveaway and it gave me access to the trading cards.

So my guess now is that if it's part of a STEAM free giveaway, no cards are provided. But if it's coming from an outside source and you're activating a key that was gifted to you (someone else paid for it; it was free on another site), the restrictions don't count.

You may now go back to hoarding cards and not selling them.
Well, that kind of makes sense, you don't even get a key for a Steam giveaway so it would be a lot easier for them to keep track of where those games came from.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In the current summer sale, you can only get 1 card by going through your queue. Other than buying games, does not appear to be any other way to get cards? First time you ever couldn't get extra somehow (either 3 from discovery queue or something else that go you cards).
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Looks that way, but if you do one every day, you'd still finish the set, assuming you trade dups.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You also get free cards for crafting badges (same as it ever was). What I've been doing the last few years is holding on to my cards until the Winter/Summer sales and then only crafting badges then, to get the free event cards.

The summer event is to do the choose your own adventure stories, each of which will get you a sticker (which I still don't understand). After you do all 14, you get a badge and an avatar frame.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do something similar. I sell any duplicates early (and I sell any foils), which usually gives me enough credit to finish several other game sets. And I have yet to not eventually get all of the cards to finish a full set of the even cards by the end.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I recently crafted my one and only foil badge, for Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition. I just wanted to create my own little tribute to my favorite game of all time.

It took me 6 months and about $10 to get all the cards. I started by bidding just enough to be the top bidder, but still well below what any seller was asking. Each month, I bumped my bid up another few cents, until a seller finally came down to my level.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Holy crap, I must have rolled double 20s today. I didn't even know this was possible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The ability to buy/sell cards at a badge level at the same time is a nice change. Too bad the change is usually $0.01-2/card.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

This is certainly the highest value card I've seen so far. Only problem is that there doesn't seem to be many buyers...