SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by Kurth »

Yep. Behind the play is a good way to describe Dems these days (and for a while, really).

Just saw this headline flash up on my notifications, and it really rings true:
If the Supreme Court Can Reverse Roe, It Can Reverse Anything
I think I need to go on a run and do some things today that do not involve reading headlines.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right - it comes off as ambivalence. "We expected this, so whaddya gonna do, right?"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:02 pm Yep. Behind the play is a good way to describe Dems these days (and for a while, really).
I'm seeing a lot of people who are really turning on the leadership today. Beyond the anticlimatic statement. Pelosi read a poem! Biden hasn't said anything (edit: he'll speak at 12:30 ET now). They knew this was coming. How were they not ready to respond with anything substantive aside from...let's huddle up?

Meanwhile I'm getting an endless torrent of fundraising texts asking for dollars to fund their campaigns?! Do something for once and we'll talk. I guess we'll see if they put forward or indicate the existence of a strategy in the coming days.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 pmPelosi read a poem!
18-1™ & 2-0
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's a big pride parade in NYC city this weekend. That's going to be chaos.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:57 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:55 am Also:

Gonna be very weird if Supreme Court ends a constitutional right to obtain an abortion next week, saying it should be left to the States to decide, right after it just imposed a constitutional right to concealed carry of firearms, saying it cannot be left to the States to decide
I get the obvious tension, but it’s really not all that weird is it?

The Second Amendment is a thing. The Right to an Abortion Amendment is not.
I meant to post this earlier - the West Wing to the rescue again (this is not directed at you Kurth - just the line of reasoning). The whole clip is worth watching imo, but I queued it up at the pointed part.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It’s a good poem but a little more would have been nice. My spam folder did get a new appeal for $$$ though.
‘”I have no other country even if my land is burning. Just a word in Hebrew pierces my veins, my soul, in a weak body, in a broken heart. This is my home. I will not stay silent because my country changed her face I will not give up reminding her And sing in her ears she will open her eyes.”

Pelosi said, ‘Clearly, we hoped the Supre Court would open its eyes.’
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Imagine if these folks were dispatched on 1/6

This is what’s heading to Supreme Court right now
malchior

Post by malchior »

Biden just spoke and it was lackluster. Essentially, this decision is extreme, please don't break anything, and this isn't the final word. And then he walked away.

Edit: He did outline a few things without any detail like he is directing HHS to make abortion drugs available (how!?) and will protect the right of women to travel to get healthcare (btw totally not a chilling statement to make).

Edit 2: Clearly the message being sent is vote harder. That's good but they need to start talking specifics. Saying vote harder sounds pretty hollow right now and they need to make it actionable or people aren't going to buy in.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We have a family trip planned for the next two weeks. We leave for 3 days in DC in the morning before heading further north. If I didn't have the kids along, I'd definitely take a walk by the Supreme Court. Hopefully things remain peaceful.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Excerpt from WaPo article
Collins’s votes to confirm President Donald Trump’s nominees to the Supreme Court were crucial to tilting the high court 6-to-3 in conservatives’ favor. At the time, she told reporters that Neil M. Gorsuch and Brett M. Kavanaugh had assured her Roe v. Wade was “settled as precedent.”
“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting long-standing precedents that the country has relied upon,” Collins said Friday.
Well as they say on the playground, no backsies!

You know Susan, I know a Nigerian prince that needs some help transferring funds and is willing to pay you a cut if you can provide him an account number…
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kraken wrote:Between overturning our gun control laws and stripping women of their reproductive rights, we are facing a violent summer.
Agreed. Women can openly bring assault rifles to protect their protests and right to assembly in those Red states banning abortion. In many of those states, they can stand their ground to defend themselves. This will not end well.

The Supreme Court in 2022 inferred and supported an individual right to bear arms, but allows the states to force women to bear children. How is this right to life? Or principled constitutional interpretation?

A very sad day for the rule of law and stare decisis.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

This is exactly what the sheeple of America deserve, for not giving the 1%, the government that opresses them, and the courts who twist the laws to serve the first two what they deserve. We the people deserve exactly what we get.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ken Paxton talking about morals and the law. :shock:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ken Paxton can go fuck himself.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not a surprise. Americans inherently despise tyrants.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean this week alone has to go down in history for the ridiculous decisions they just unleashed. Its like they are fully embracing their illegitimacy at this point just to get more evil things done. Is it because the GOP is in its death throes? Do they really fear they're losing their grasp and this is all part of their final push to retain control? I guess we'll see.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:05 pm I mean this week alone has to go down in history for the ridiculous decisions they just unleashed. Its like they are fully embracing their illegitimacy at this point just to get more evil things done. Is it because the GOP is in its death throes? Do they really fear they're losing their grasp and this is all part of their final push to retain control? I guess we'll see.
Or do they realize that they are past the point at which their control can feasibly be voted down?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Correct. This is pretty much textbook late stage proto-fascism - they are demonstrating that they have the power to do what they want. Christofascism is a more or less correct label. It's not textbook fascism by any means. It's something else but close enough in scope/flavor.

Don't worry though. The House Democrats thought it'd be a good day to go outside and sing God Bless America to celebrate passing the gun bill. It's like they have no concept of fucking optics.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Would be nice if any of our elected representatives would step up to do as much to protect women's rights as, say, Dick's Sporting Goods.

(Seriously though, very cool of Dick's to do. I don't often shop for sports stuff, but they'll be my first choice if I do.)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm (Seriously though, very cool of Dick's to do. I don't often shop for sports stuff, but they'll be my first choice if I do.)
I saw that Chase is doing the same.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm (Seriously though, very cool of Dick's to do. I don't often shop for sports stuff, but they'll be my first choice if I do.)
I saw that Chase is doing the same.
Which could be part of what Biden's nebulous statements about support the right of women to travel might look like. Maybe they'll find a way to call it a charitable deduction (though they probably can't due to the anti-abortion stuff in the budget).
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 pm Correct. This is pretty much textbook late stage proto-fascism - they are demonstrating that they have the power to do what they want. Christofascism is a more or less correct label. It's not textbook fascism by any means. It's something else but close enough in scope/flavor.

Don't worry though. The House Democrats thought it'd be a good day to go outside and sing God Bless America to celebrate passing the gun bill. It's like they have no concept of fucking optics.

Because they've sold us the fuck out. When will everyone get the memo?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm sure that loophole will get closed very quickly.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:05 pm I mean this week alone has to go down in history for the ridiculous decisions they just unleashed. Its like they are fully embracing their illegitimacy at this point just to get more evil things done. Is it because the GOP is in its death throes? Do they really fear they're losing their grasp and this is all part of their final push to retain control? I guess we'll see.
Or do they realize that they are past the point at which their control can feasibly be voted down?
We the people *do* have other options to express our displeasure of the current state of things... If I could just remember that Jefferson quote... Trees and liberty... something something...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So it's only the EPA ruling left for this term? Seems like we know where that will land.
Last edited by Octavious on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 pm Correct. This is pretty much textbook late stage proto-fascism - they are demonstrating that they have the power to do what they want. Christofascism is a more or less correct label. It's not textbook fascism by any means. It's something else but close enough in scope/flavor.

What you don't seem to get is that'd imply that they didn't want this to happen. And that seems...preposterous. They get nothing out of it. In fact, they are losing support for their continued inability to have impact. To wit, what we are seeing it is way more likely they couldn't stop it from happening because they are mind-numbingly incompetent and out of touch. It's just way more likely that they really are just this fucking useless.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm So it's only the EPA ruling left for this term? Seems like we know where that will land.
There are 7 left. The EPA one regulating CO2 from coal plants is probably the most consequential...to civilization.

There is another case about a coach who led prayers after games for years and eventually mutually agreed to leave the job after the school board got wind of it. The board worried that it appeared coercive since everyone would join the prayer circle. The board feared it looked like they inherently approved of it. They asked him to do it privately and even offered him a space. He refused and continued holding them at 50-yard line and that led to the negotiation where he left the job. He then sued to get his job back. Let's assume he'll have his job back soon there. There is some legitimate concern/wondering about whether they'll expand the right to prayer in school. Seems like a valid concern.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I meant one with a big impact. Prayer circle? We know how that will go.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47 pm Well I meant one with a big impact. Prayer circle? We know how that will go.
Right I only mention it because we think it's about a prayer circle and suddenly we have some expansive, "historical" rule about the role of prayer in schools. It's the whole christofascism side of the court that is freaking me the fuck out tbh.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The guy next to me is on the phone repeating every right wing nonsense stuff on the phone right now. I want to toss a stapler at him.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:
Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm So it's only the EPA ruling left for this term? Seems like we know where that will land.
There are 7 left. The EPA one regulating CO2 from coal plants is probably the most consequential...to civilization.

There is another case about a coach who led prayers after games for years and eventually mutually agreed to leave the job after the school board got wind of it. The board worried that it appeared coercive since everyone would join the prayer circle. The board feared it looked like they inherently approved of it. They asked him to do it privately and even offered him a space. He refused and continued holding them at 50-yard line and that led to the negotiation where he left the job. He then sued to get his job back. Let's assume he'll have his job back soon there. There is some legitimate concern/wondering about whether they'll expand the right to prayer in school. Seems like a valid concern.
This one surprises me. I don’t know the case at all, just what you explained. But I called high school football games on the radio for years, and after every single game members from both teams would huddle up in a prayer circle at the 50.

I’m surprised the school board did anything unless they found out the coach was pressuring the kids to participate.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 pm

What you don't seem to get is that'd imply that they didn't want this to happen. And that seems...preposterous. They get nothing out of it. In fact, they are losing support for their continued inability to have impact. To wit, what we are seeing it is way more likely they couldn't stop it from happening because they are mind-numbingly incompetent and out of touch. It's just way more likely that they really are just this fucking useless.
They aren't stupid. The Dem's know they've been painted into a corner. Instead of making the risky choice of putting their interests , families, short term livlihoods at risk by stirring up the proles, they will instead go away quietly with their golden parachutes with their families and live in security and cushiness.

You witness the same principle at work with those people on this board who go out of their way to deny the basic message I've been bringing to this board for TWENTY years. This system we live in will need to be burned to its very foundations or it will consume ever more of those who don't already have feathered nests. It's really the foundation of our modern illiberal political system. Deny, deny, deny till it touches you and yours. First it was the millennial who never got the American dream, then it was the poors who punched a clock for a living, then it was COVID that killed or incapicated millions, now its women.

Through all this people denied, voted blue no matter who, went about their lives , keep their heads down and called people like me reactionary for speaking the truth while they trudged through one fucking disaster after another.

America. You deserve this, you pointed fingers, all fuckin five of them, not realizing that five fingers make a fist.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It always amuses me that the guy with the most fantasies of burning it all down is someone who voted for Trump, and therefore is getting what he fantasized about, but not in the way he wants it to happen.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Spoiler. This is what burning to the ground looks like. High five.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:37 pm It always amuses me that the guy with the most fantasies of burning it all down is someone who voted for Trump, and therefore is getting what he fantasized about, but not in the way he wants it to happen.
It always amuses me that people who support and are complicit with a "blue no matter who" system that turns 64% of Americas population into modern sharecroppers then express shock and amazement when these people vote for the "burn it all down" candidate, no matter the party.

Mot that my vote mattered...Trump killed my mother so I didn't vote for him again, but Biden will go down in history as the president who allowed this grotesque charade we call a system of government to murder... YES MURDER millions of women... because blue no matter who amIrite?!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:39 pm Spoiler. This is what burning to the ground looks like. High five.
This is what permitting, promoting and legitimizing a worthless political and economic system looks like. High five.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:56 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:37 pm It always amuses me that the guy with the most fantasies of burning it all down is someone who voted for Trump, and therefore is getting what he fantasized about, but not in the way he wants it to happen.
It always amuses me that people who support and are complicit with a "blue no matter who" system that turns 64% of Americas population into modern sharecroppers then express shock and amazement when these people vote for the "burn it all down" candidate, no matter the party.

Mot that my vote mattered...Trump killed my mother so I didn't vote for him again, but Biden will go down in history as the president who allowed this grotesque charade we call a system of government to murder... YES MURDER millions of women... because blue no matter who amIrite?!
Are you doing anything to change things? To get out the vote? To educate people?

Or are you just jerking off to fantasies of violence (again)?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:55 pm Ken Paxton can go fuck himself.
Half the goddamned country can go fuck itself. I cannot believe how enraged this all is making me feel.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The only thing Biden and co could do now is the same thing Lincoln or Wilson did. Extra legal shit

Suspend the constitution, disband the house, fire the Supreme court and call a new constitutional convention.

When our country cant function at even the most basic of levels and is in real danger of going all third reich, or gilead, then it's time to call the game and go home.