SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by Zarathud »

Our Constitutional checks and balances just failed.

Congress cannot be controlled by the Republicans anymore.

Trump cannot be permitted to act as President anymore.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I still can't believe a gay man is being scheduled for execution because the jury thought he would enjoy prison.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm I still can't believe a gay man is being scheduled for execution because the jury thought he would enjoy prison.
What the hell? Is that for real?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes. Supreme Court declined to intervene because the jury was biased against homosexuals not blacks.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 am Also, and this is stating the obvious, but McConnell is such an asshole.

IMO the worse than DJT and worse than Paul Ryan. He's the original worst of us in power and he has enabled and empowered the rest.

History will remember him for what he is. And us for allowing him to be so successful. :(

Imagine how different today would be if we took the Senate from McConnell over Merrick Garland as we should have.. (Much less the presidency) If I had to trace whatever it is to any single event, it wouldn't even be Palin's prominence or the Tea Party. It would be our failure to stop the McConnell from declaring control of the Supreme Court.
Enough

Post by Enough »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:52 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 am Also, and this is stating the obvious, but McConnell is such an asshole.

IMO the worse than DJT and worse than Paul Ryan. He's the original worst of us in power and he has enabled and empowered the rest.

History will remember him for what he is. And us for allowing him to be so successful. :(

Imagine how different today would be if we took the Senate from McConnell over Merrick Garland as we should have.. (Much less the presidency) If I had to trace whatever it is to any single event, it wouldn't even be Palin's prominence or the Tea Party. It would be our failure to stop the McConnell from declaring control of the Supreme Court.
McConnell is right about this being his most lasting impact.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

More return on investment today.
The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday dealt a blow to organized labor, ruling that non-members cannot be forced in certain states to pay fees to unions representing public employees such as teachers and police, shutting off a key union revenue source.

On a 5-4 vote powered by the court's conservative majority, the justices overturned a 1977 Supreme Court precedent that had allowed the so-called agency fees that are collected from millions of non-union workers in lieu of union dues to fund non-political activities like collective bargaining.

The ruling means that the estimated 5 million non-union workers who pay these fees will no longer have to do so.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What is hugely disappointing is the conservative majority's repeated willingness to accept the one sided "free speech" of conservatives despite other factors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We'll see if it is one-sided. One consequence of this ruling is that it may unleash waves of first amendment disputes about government fees and "constitutionalize workplace disputes". This is the very height of judicial activism they used to bitch about but what it new since it is way beyond clear that modern conservatism is about power at any expense and massive hypocrisy.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Kennedy is retiring.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Well that's unfortunate.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The idea that this administration is going to get two Supreme Court justice appointments - appointments that are going to impact life here in America for decades - is unthinkable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In other words, the SCOTUS is not going to save America.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Don't worry. It's less than five months until Senate elections, which will determine who will get to vote on judicial appointments. Under McConnell's clearly established principles, he will undoubtedly hold off on any hearings until the American people get a chance to weigh in on who will have a chance to evaluate the next Justice.

:lol:

Fuck you, Kennedy.
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 pm Don't worry. It's less than five months until Senate elections, which will determine who will get to vote on judicial appointments. Under McConnell's clearly established principles, he will undoubtedly hold off on any hearings until the American people get a chance to weigh in on who will have a chance to evaluate the next Justice.

Fuck you, Kennedy.
Dude is 82... How about fuck you McConnell instead? This is a nom the right won, the last one was straight up stolen. And yep, we're fucked for a good 20+ years.

Enough

Post by Enough »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This response to junior orange made me laugh

He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enough wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 pm Don't worry. It's less than five months until Senate elections, which will determine who will get to vote on judicial appointments. Under McConnell's clearly established principles, he will undoubtedly hold off on any hearings until the American people get a chance to weigh in on who will have a chance to evaluate the next Justice.

Fuck you, Kennedy.
Dude is 82... How about fuck you McConnell instead? This is a nom the right won, the last one was straight up stolen. And yep, we're fucked for a good 20+ years.
Oh, I've given a thousand and more FUs to McConnell. But Kennedy can't control McConnell, and he knows (or should know) exactly who McConnell and Trump are. His retirement and timing is entirely within his control. This retirement, combined with his decision in the travel ban case, is empowering Trump with broad new powers to reshape the government and the country. And apparently Kennedy is fine with that. So...fuck you, Kennedy.
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Fuck you, Kennedy.
Oh, I've given a thousand and more FUs to McConnell. But Kennedy can't control McConnell, and he knows (or should know) exactly who McConnell and Trump are. His retirement and timing is entirely within his control. This retirement, combined with his decision in the travel ban case, is empowering Trump with broad new powers to reshape the government and the country. And apparently Kennedy is fine with that. So...fuck you, Kennedy.
Given he could have at least delayed until after midterms, I guess I will allow it. :ninja: :evil:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

OK, Lit?

Past of light?
Literature?
Drunk as shit?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I hear Merrick Garland is available.

Yeah, I live in a dreamworld sometimes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fuck you, Kennedy.
Yup - Kennedy at least had a penchant for protecting individual rights. His replacement sure as shit won't give a damn about individual's rights.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wow, so we are looking at 80k votes in three states producing two justices in the first year and half of his POTUSshit. Fuck you Jill Stein.

Edit, thinking a bit more about this... Kennedy was the swing vote, so does that mean that Roberts inherits that role? That really tells you about the future trajectory of the court when Roberts plays the reasonable one. Also, if they overturn Roe v Wade, would that create a motivated electorate?
Last edited by Enough on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So...Jeff Flake has been saying that he would blockade all of Trump's judicial appointments unless and until there's a vote on the bill to restrict the presidential national security tariff power. Going to keep that up, Jeff?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Odds of RBG staying on until 1/2021? She is 4 years older than Kennedy...
Enough

Post by Enough »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm Odds of RBG staying on until 1/2021? She is 4 years older than Kennedy...

stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm Odds of RBG staying on until 1/2021? She is 4 years older than Kennedy...
She's pretty amazing. I'm not sure I'd bet against it. She can do more pushups than I can.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting questions for history: Did the SCOTUS become more politicized over the last 30 years because of the decline in our politics, was it in the drivers seat to the politicization or a mix of both. Also, the questions about whether RBG and other age at risk liberals should have retired earlier in the Obama administration will be kicked around.
Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm Interesting questions for history: Did the SCOTUS become more politicized over the last 30 years because of the decline in our politics, was it in the drivers seat to the politicization or a mix of both. Also, the questions about whether RBG and other age at risk liberals should have retired earlier in the Obama administration will be kicked around.
Another question, will the court keep it's current power, or does the McConnell maneuver and potentially similar gaming to come, weaken the court?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm Interesting questions for history: Did the SCOTUS become more politicized over the last 30 years because of the decline in our politics, was it in the drivers seat to the politicization or a mix of both. Also, the questions about whether RBG and other age at risk liberals should have retired earlier in the Obama administration will be kicked around.
How is it even a question? It was completely irresponsible of RBG to not retire in early 2014.

Side note: this is also another way in which our system is archaic and borked. They shouldn't be lifetime appointments - they should be for something like 10 - 15 years.
Last edited by El Guapo on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I just can't anymore
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:52 pm Side note: this is also another way in which our system is archaic and borked. They shouldn't be lifetime appointments - they should be for something like 10 - 15 years.
There should also be a max age. I'm thinking 75.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Too Soon?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm Also, the questions about whether RBG and other age at risk liberals should have retired earlier in the Obama administration will be kicked around.
Because McConnell wouldn't have been so shameless as to stall the confirmation hearings for 2+ years, instead of 1+? Puh-leeeeze.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm Also, the questions about whether RBG and other age at risk liberals should have retired earlier in the Obama administration will be kicked around.
Because McConnell wouldn't have been so shameless as to stall the confirmation hearings for 2+ years, instead of 1+? Puh-leeeeze.
To be fair - he came up with the plan because Scalia dropped dead. He needed a paper thin justification to do it. I don't know if he would have even thought about it had it not been a balance of court issue.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:10 pm
[Rip:] "VICTORY LAP!!!1!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:12 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:10 pm
[Rip:] "CIVILITY LAP!!!1!"
FTFY