Bill keeping software? What is the best one now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Bill keeping software? What is the best one now?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dropbox error 403.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Right, I fixed it but will put it here too so you don't have to go back to the last page...

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Excellent, thanks. I have a bucket for work reimbursements that can take advantage of that.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Any news on this front? I guess I dropped YNAB because of the new sub model they went to.

I've been using MINT recently (again?), but it doesn't do what I want in terms of telling me how far my income will go for X amount of time. It was, however, a great replacement for my manually updated Excel spreadsheet I mentioned in a different thread. It basically just automates that whole spreadsheet.

BUT...I really want something (not sure of the name, or the 'kind' of personal accounting/budgeting it is) that will let me know how much money I REALLY have to spend.

Example:
I just got paid today. Let's say $2,000. Wife gets paid next week, say $1,000.
Mortgage hits on the 1st. A big credit card bill (that is on auto-pay, pay balance in full) is due 3 days from now. Water bill hits in a week, etc etc.

I guess my question is about timing more than anything. This is not zero-based budegting though, correct?

As a real world example, I want to aggressively pay down my recent new car loan. I want to put almost every extra dollar earned (after stuff like groceries, insurance, kid activities, etc) into the principle, every month. I can "back of napkin" it and guess, but I would prefer to KNOW. I know YNAB did that, but that was years ago. Any alternatives that do this, that aren't subscription based?

I used to use Quicken (and then MS Money) years ago, and they did it, but Mint does not, for some reason.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

For $8.25 per month, I use the software that works exactly how I want it to work (YNAB). I would like to pay them less, but they do exactly what I need them to do - and their support has been magical when I’ve needed them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of YNAB's pricing anymore. But as RM9 said, it does exactly what I need a budgeting app to do. I haven't found anything else comparable that I'm comfortable switching to, so I stick with YNAB even with their higher pricing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I seriously looked into switching to Buckets, which seems like the closest YNAB competitor I could find, but in the end I'm also biting the bullet and sticking with my YNAB subscription. If a comparable competitor comes along at a lower price, I'll be eager to jump ship, but as of right now there's nothing else that does enough of what YNAB does for me to be able to give it up.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m trying a few other things first. Mint is great, but has no budgeting as far as I can tell. Though one thing I’m finding with Mint is that it has a lot of powerful features that aren’t obvious. That’s a UI problem as far as I’m concerned.

Trying:
Every Dollar - this looks very good so far.
Simplifi (Mint with no ads, plus budgeting and cash flow, which is really my primary need/want).

Downloaded but not tried yet: NerdWallet and Truebill.

Also, not sure who copied who but there are a LOT of lookalikes out there…amazing the design copying going on…down to the same graphs, look, opening screen, everything.

And so many focus on ‘net worth’ as THE big thing…the first screen or graph you see when you open app. That for me is the very least important thing. Sure, I like to look at it occasionally but for day to day usefulness? Meh. Show me cash flow, show me a graph of how much I’ve spent of my available cash this month. Net worth is way too macro.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Have you tried Buckets yet? If you can live without direct importing (like the olden days of YNAB) it seems like it has a lot of the YNAB approach.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

wonderpug wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:10 am Have you tried Buckets yet? If you can live without direct importing (like the olden days of YNAB) it seems like it has a lot of the YNAB approach.
Half the time my direct imports with YNAB don't work anyway, or are seriously delayed. I'll have to take a closer look at Buckets.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Manual importing is a deal killer for me. I have wayyy too many accounts for doing that individually.