Problems since the recovery? Post them here please

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Lassr

Re: Problems since the recovery? Post them here please

Post by Lassr »

I just cleared my history, let's see if that helps.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote:
Lassr wrote:past few days I hang on the screen "Your Message has been posted successfully" it just churns forever until I hit see my message or return to last forum topic or whatever it says.

I also notice that the OO is constantly trying to load something. My tab in Firefox shows the little circle rotating on my OO tab as if it never stops loading.

I had the same problem beginning yesterday. Clearing my history fixed it.
Yes, it worked. It is acting normal now. strange though that it has never happened before.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

FishPants wrote:weird double posting behaviour
I think a few people put their heads together and figured out that the forum double-posts if you hit "back" after posting.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

silverjon wrote:
I think a few people put their heads together and figured out that the forum double-posts if you hit "back" after posting.
This is correct, but it is a relatively new behavior. I was blaming it initially on Safari, having just switched to a Mac at work. But that started before the OOtage.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, my 'go to new post' issue fixed itself after a day or two. Some artifact of the old OO must have been haunting my system.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

hentzau wrote:
silverjon wrote:
This is correct, but it is a relatively new behavior. I was blaming it initially on Safari, having just switched to a Mac at work. But that started before the OOtage.
Then why won't it work with me? Even with the back button? On my mac I've tried Chrome, Safari, and Firefox -- I post then hit back, and no double post.

Same with my iPad mini, Ipad 3 and my Samsung smartphone.

The only thing I can agree on is the double posting was not an issue until now after this last outage. Odd.
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

This is a test post. I'm going to hit the back button to see what happens next.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

And it didn't do it. So *shrug* I dunno.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Trying to test one more time. Because I know it was failing just a few days ago.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yep, I'm stumped. Not sure how it was happening before, but now it isn't.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

FishPants wrote:The only thing I can agree on is the double posting was not an issue until now after this last outage. Odd.
Well, hentzau actually was double-posting constantly pre-outage, and now it's happening to other people but not him. Very odd.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Not sure if it's just me, but now clicking on links opens up the link in the OO tab instead of opening a new tab. Going to go check out my options/settings to see if something got reverted, but thought I would report it.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

hentzau wrote:Not sure if it's just me, but now clicking on links opens up the link in the OO tab instead of opening a new tab. Going to go check out my options/settings to see if something got reverted, but thought I would report it.
Hrmm it could be, I had an anti-spam mod go a little wonky on me this morning so I restored the profile directories (among everything) that I had backed up previously; but I'm not sure how that could affect links. I'm pretty sure they've always opened in the same window for me unless I CTRL+Clicked?
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

FishPants wrote:
hentzau wrote:Not sure if it's just me, but now clicking on links opens up the link in the OO tab instead of opening a new tab. Going to go check out my options/settings to see if something got reverted, but thought I would report it.
Hrmm it could be, I had an anti-spam mod go a little wonky on me this morning so I restored the profile directories (among everything) that I had backed up previously; but I'm not sure how that could affect links. I'm pretty sure they've always opened in the same window for me unless I CTRL+Clicked?
I'll wait for other folks to chime in, but I'm positive they were in new tabs for me. I use the map in Issie's sig for the Formula D car game as an example. I would just click on it and it would pop open in a new tab. Today, it didn't. Checked out a few other links, same thing. I checked the user settings page but saw no option for opening links in new tabs. So, am I just going crazy here?

I'll also check it from Safari when I get into work.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That's been borked on Black Pearl since some upgrade or other. There's a thread about it:
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=71891" target="_blank
wot?

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

silverjon wrote:That's been borked on Black Pearl since some upgrade or other. There's a thread about it:
Should be fixed and creating new tabs (for external links) in all templates now.

Boom goes the dynamite?
No.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Nice. Thanks.
wot?

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

FishPants wrote:
silverjon wrote:That's been borked on Black Pearl since some upgrade or other. There's a thread about it:
Should be fixed and creating new tabs (for external links) in all templates now.

Boom goes the dynamite?
Sir, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar and a Fine Judge of Horseflesh.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FishPants for Overlord!
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:Ok... I think I found the issue.

In the past (pre loss of data) When I posted something, I always the back button to go back to the forum or post.... No problems

Now when I do the same thing, I hit the back button, and it reposts my message

Not sure what changed.
This is still very much an issue and others had the same thing happened to them
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

naednek wrote:
naednek wrote:Ok... I think I found the issue.

In the past (pre loss of data) When I posted something, I always the back button to go back to the forum or post.... No problems

Now when I do the same thing, I hit the back button, and it reposts my message

Not sure what changed.
This is still very much an issue and others had the same thing happened to them
Yet it doesn't for me on iPads, MacBook etc. wondering if t isn't legacy cached files that are hosing it up on some clients. Not sure where to start troubleshooting this one when I can't replicate, yet I see double posts everywhere.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have the same problem if I use 'back' from the submitted topic screen, and I'm pretty sure I've cleared every cookie and cache multiple times since the OOutage.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have the same problem if I use 'back' from the submitted topic screen, and I'm pretty sure I've cleared every cookie and cache multiple times since the OOutage.

/edit - as an experiment, this post was made using 'back' on Chrome in a fresh launch of privacy mode, which uses a separate cache and cookies that are deleted when the browser is closed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:/edit - as an experiment, this post was made using 'back' on Chrome in a fresh launch of privacy mode, which uses a separate cache and cookies that are deleted when the browser is closed.
Edit: Good test. But I just did the same w/o incognito mode with no issue.
Rip

Post by Rip »

You have to go forward to go back!

Last edited by Rip on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Blackhawk wrote:I have the same problem if I use 'back' from the submitted topic screen, and I'm pretty sure I've cleared every cookie and cache multiple times since the OOutage.

/edit - as an experiment, this post was made using 'back' on Chrome in a fresh launch of privacy mode, which uses a separate cache and cookies that are deleted when the browser is closed.
Can you try it in Firefox or IE and see what happens? I have no frigging idea where to start troubleshooting this.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hello, I'm Firefox.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm running internet explorer.

I need a shower.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There. Back on Chrome. I feel better.

/edit - and apparently it is is inconsistent. I don't normally us back to return to the forums, so I can't say how often it happens.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote:There. Back on Chrome. I feel better.

/edit - and apparently it is is inconsistent. I don't normally us back to return to the forums, so I can't say how often it happens.
I hit back all the time (habit) and it happens all the time. I have to force myself to not do it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote:There. Back on Chrome. I feel better.

I hit back all the time (habit) and it happens all the time. I have to force myself to not do it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

see
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is neither here nor there, but if you are hitting the back button after submitting a form on the web, you are doing it wrong. I'm surprised you haven't double-purchased things in the past. :) :horse:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Zaxxon wrote:This is neither here nor there, but if you are hitting the back button after submitting a form on the web, you are doing it wrong. I'm surprised you haven't double-purchased things in the past. :) :horse:
Finally someone says what I've been thinking the whole time. :?
I have but one advocate.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I get the back button + form is bad. But I can use the back button after posting and I never double post. It seems there's a handful of people that DP all the time, and it doesn't add up to anything I can put my finger on.

So I guess don't use the back button?
No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... uble_post/

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11078
It would appear that the double post problem continues. We all know that it's totally unintentional, but it does get a bit annoying. :cry:

A some tips to prevent double posts:

• Leave the back button alone after you have posted. If you want to get back to the thread you've posted to, either wait to be redirected by the site, or click on the link provided.
• If you accidentally hit the back button, and the browser reports that the page has expired, do not refresh the page. It will resubmit the posting form, and create a double post (or triple, or quadruple ...). Click back again, and then again, to get back to the thread.
• If you do end up creating a double post, delete the duplicate post immediately. You can't delete a post after a response has been posted.

I think that by following these simple tips, we can keep the forum a little cleaner.

My 2c ...
Not just us.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote:It seems there's a handful of people that DP all the time, and it doesn't add up to anything I can put my finger on.

So I guess don't use the back button?
Quoted for posterity, at least until someone turns it into a sig.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

srnk

snort

bwahahaha
wot?

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

What the heck did I just do to throw all the avatars to the right of the post instead of the left?
I have but one advocate.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JetFred wrote:What the heck did I just do to throw all the avatars to the right of the post instead of the left?
FishPants did it. Should be fixed shortly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter