Welcome Back - Please read

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Welcome Back - Please read

Post by Zaxxon »

Or even a simple 'server costs X for the year, minimum expected Amazon reimbursement should be Y, leaving Z' and then have a quick pledge drive to come up with Z? I imagine we could eliminate that gap in a day or two of pledges, and if it turns out that Amazon pays out more that year, then the next pledging window takes place a bit later or something.

Lassr's right--there's no reason that you should be paying for any of this (or stressing about the possibility of paying for any of it), FP. And I don't think I/we need to worry about you taking the cashola and running.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zaxxon wrote:Or even a simple 'server costs X for the year, minimum expected Amazon reimbursement should be Y, leaving Z' and then have a quick pledge drive to come up with Z? I imagine we could eliminate that gap in a day or two of pledges, and if it turns out that Amazon pays out more that year, then the next pledging window takes place a bit later or something.
That would work also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Or even a simple 'server costs X for the year, minimum expected Amazon reimbursement should be Y, leaving Z' and then have a quick pledge drive to come up with Z? I imagine we could eliminate that gap in a day or two of pledges, and if it turns out that Amazon pays out more that year, then the next pledging window takes place a bit later or something.

Lassr's right--there's no reason that you should be paying for any of this (or stressing about the possibility of paying for any of it), FP. And I don't think I/we need to worry about you taking the cashola and running.
IIRC, every time this comes up and FP makes a comment, I hear "we are good for now with the income we get from Amazon linking". I think/hope he would say something if that were not the case, knowing that many of us have offered over and over again to help out financially.

Not sure how much others here spend on Amazon, but I will say it again, I shop there ALMOST exclusively, and tend to be a...well a typical American consumerist if I am honest, so yeah, I spend a lot. Just a slight habit change on my part will make a big difference based on the yearly/quarterly cost figures FP posted earlier, and if several others also do this...may be no need for a fund drive.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:

IIRC, every time this comes up and FP makes a comment, I hear "we are good for now with the income we get from Amazon linking". I think/hope he would say something if that were not the case, knowing that many of us have offered over and over again to help out financially.

Not sure how much others here spend on Amazon, but I will say it again, I shop there ALMOST exclusively, and tend to be a...well a typical American consumerist if I am honest, so yeah, I spend a lot. Just a slight habit change on my part will make a big difference based on the yearly/quarterly cost figures FP posted earlier, and if several others also do this...may be no need for a fund drive.
Yes, the old server costs and amazon $ were pretty equal but now the server costs $30 more a month so unless there is an uptick in Amazon purchases then he's going to need extra $ I would assume.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Some people have donated some money the past couple of days (about $150 worth, one of which was $100) which helps a lot. Historically we've been pretty close (VD was cheaper, but well I supposed we got what we paid for in that regard!).

Costs now are approximately $100 CDN per month including all the government grafting required (Site is hosted with OVH now).

Annual costs for raw server = $1200.
- Current trending on Amazon (this is tough with Christmas etc -- hard to judge): $720-$800
------------------------------------
Gap = $400-480 per year @ Current Amazon revenue vs OVH hosting
- Donations YTD = $150
------------------------------------
$250-$330 variance currently

It's not a lot, and if people pick up spending on Amazon that might cover it.

I've always wanted to avoid direct contributions as the expectation gets a lot higher on what's happening with the server, and that I might drive off into the sunset with their hard earned cash -- as a result I just filled the gap myself where required outside of Amazon purchases.
No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Eat em up FishPants, Eat em up.

:clap:

:happy-wavemulticolor:
FishPants wrote:I've always wanted to avoid direct contributions as the expectation gets a lot higher on what's happening with the server
That would be my fear if I was you as well. That fear is unfounded from me. If anything I think we should buy you a vacation from us.

:orcs-cheers:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

alrighty, I pledge $XX

edit: no need to make this public and make people feel pressured. So I will just say I sent Fishpants a little cash to help with the delta.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What percentage of an order does OO get from an Amazon purchase?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Feels so good to be back home.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Carpet_pissr wrote:What percentage of an order does OO get from an Amazon purchase?
Here is the published advertising fee schedule that lays out most of it with break points.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:I have no idea what was involved in Frankensteining this site back to life, but thanks.

Probably not totally appropriate here and now, but would this be a good time to officially change the site logo to something less Star Wars-y? Sith don't repeatedly come back from the dead....
Yes, please! I've brought this up a few times. We have at least two other versions of the logo. As I recall, we started with a plain one, then rotated this one in as a bit of a joke, but nobody ever changed it back. Really, we can do better than a tribute to Episode 1.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote:Keep the smilies!!!!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FishPants wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:What percentage of an order does OO get from an Amazon purchase?
Here is the published advertising fee schedule that lays out most of it with break points.
Thanks, so on average, taking out the crazy 25% outlier for magazines, it looks like around 5% maybe 6%. The percentages are actually much higher than I was expecting.

If only half of us bought our games on Amazon (Steam keys), I bet that would cover us for a loooong time, and with the Christmas season coming up...I should be able to cover a couple of months server leasing, at least!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I have no idea what was involved in Frankensteining this site back to life, but thanks.

Probably not totally appropriate here and now, but would this be a good time to officially change the site logo to something less Star Wars-y? Sith don't repeatedly come back from the dead....
Yes, please! I've brought this up a few times. We have at least two other versions of the logo. As I recall, we started with a plain one, then rotated this one in as a bit of a joke, but nobody ever changed it back. Really, we can do better than a tribute to Episode 1.
:text-+1:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I don't have the old logos, so if you want those back up I'd need someone to send them to me.. Or make a new one, whatevs.

(Needs to be done for both the Black Pearl and the Prosilver themes that we use).
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spoiler:

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote:I don't have the old logos, so if you want those back up I'd need someone to send them to me.. Or make a new one, whatevs.

(Needs to be done for both the Black Pearl and the Prosilver themes that we use).
PM Hell's Taco. He made 'em, I believe, so he should have the originals in the proper format.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I propose that someone create an original art OO logo every day for us, much like the Simpsons intro couch scene. At least every week. I bore easily.

Kthanksmuch.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:

And I'm sticking to the first 2 lines of smilies (and :tjg: :grund: ) ONLY! Pure or nothing!

That said, we now have two cat butts. Can't get more nuanced than that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:dance:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

And I'm sticking to the first 2 lines of smilies (and :tjg: :grund: ) ONLY! Pure or nothing!

That said, we now have two cat butts. Can't get more nuanced than that.
How about catching a chicken with a butterfly net? That's pretty damn specific. Unless it's a pop culture reference or meme that I am unaware of.

:animals-chickencatch:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: How about catching a chicken with a butterfly net? That's pretty damn specific. Unless it's a pop culture reference or meme that I am unaware of.

:animals-chickencatch:
Butterfly net or a large sugar strainer?

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:D

Damn, you may be right. And of course, that makes it even more weird.

But if you really think about it, that is a GREAT way to catch a fleeing chicken! I mean, what are your other options? Run after it? Seems extremely inefficient, not to mention sweat-inducing. Try to snag it with a gunny sack? Please. That's sitcom BS.

A slightly modified sugar strainer (make it longer for more reach, and make the mesh "bowl" deeper) just might be the BEST chicken catcher EVER. Think about it next time you are clumsily flailing after one.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Carpet_pissr wrote::animals-chickencatch:

First person to use that emoticon organically in a thread wins a prize.
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 6#p2028946" target="_blank

Prize?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote::animals-chickencatch:

First person to use that emoticon organically in a thread wins a prize.
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 6#p2028946" target="_blank

Prize?
If that is an actual achievement on Steam, and not something you have made up to qualify for my illustrious prize, then I pronounce you the winner!

:clap:
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

An achievement available in Neverwinter Online, which is not on Steam (though some Cryptic games are).

I didn't make it up, but thought of it immediately on seeing your post.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

Happy OO is back up, I've missed it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
geezer

Post by geezer »

Thanks much, and I'll be sure to use the link more. Plus I'll kick in for a month of hosting when I'm back in the office later this week :)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Carpet_pissr wrote::D

But if you really think about it, that is a GREAT way to catch a fleeing chicken! I mean, what are your other options? Run after it? Seems extremely inefficient, not to mention sweat-inducing. Try to snag it with a gunny sack? Please. That's sitcom BS.

A slightly modified sugar strainer (make it longer for more reach, and make the mesh "bowl" deeper) just might be the BEST chicken catcher EVER. Think about it next time you are clumsily flailing after one.
I spent four years of my life as a zookeeper, including elephants, apes, zebras, hippo, warthogs, sea lions, giraffes, ostriches, and more, and (since I was decent at it in general) I NEVER hurt myself so bad as when chasing a chicken.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JetFred wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote::D

I spent four years of my life as a zookeeper, including elephants, apes, zebras, hippo, warthogs, sea lions, giraffes, ostriches, and more, and (since I was decent at it in general) I NEVER hurt myself so bad as when chasing a chicken.
Perhaps so, but…

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Mickey lied. Eat sidewalk and crap my pants maybe.
I have but one advocate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:An achievement available in Neverwinter Online, which is not on Steam (though some Cryptic games are).

I didn't make it up, but thought of it immediately on seeing your post.
Wellllllll, damn. Didn't think anyone would claim that so quickly...yeesh. Now I have to come up with a Major Award.

And congratulations! A winnar is you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, does anyone know how the Amazon linking specifically works? For instance, if you have something in your cart already, and then click the link from OO, will it credit OO, or do you have to click link, add items to cart, and only then does it work?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, does anyone know how the Amazon linking specifically works? For instance, if you have something in your cart already, and then click the link from OO, will it credit OO, or do you have to click link, add items to cart, and only then does it work?
Link first then cart I believe.
No.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I posted about this previously but I don't think the Amazon.ca link you put here is working. It goes to amazon.ca with nothing else in the link. I don't think that's what is supposed to happen based on clicking on the amazon.com link.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FishPants wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, does anyone know how the Amazon linking specifically works? For instance, if you have something in your cart already, and then click the link from OO, will it credit OO, or do you have to click link, add items to cart, and only then does it work?
Sorry, do you mean to say I have to ADD items to the cart after clicking the link, or OK to just checkout with existing items that were already in my cart?
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
FishPants wrote:
Sorry, do you mean to say I have to ADD items to the cart after clicking the link, or OK to just checkout with existing items that were already in my cart?
The former, click the link then add to cart and checkout.
No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
FishPants wrote:
I'm never sure so I just jot down what's in my cart, empty it, close the browser and re-enter through the OO link. Then I fill the cart back up and buy. Not elegant but I always forget the OO link until I'm about to hit "check out".

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm never sure so I just jot down what's in my cart, empty it, close the browser and re-enter through the OO link. Then I fill the cart back up and buy. Not elegant but I always forget the OO link until I'm about to hit "check out".
This is our concern, dude. I always have a crap ton of stuff in my cart, waiting for it to go on sale or whatnot, so it's a wee bit of a pain to have to empty it (if I don't need to). Obviously I WILL do that (and just did), but would be nice not to hafta.

As I always say, 'Better to catch a chicken with a sugar sieve than a butterfly net!'. :animals-chickencatch:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I don't suppose there's a way to give OO commission for scheduled recurring Amazon purchases, is there? Just diaper related stuff alone is $90/month for me.