Hearthstone

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Hearthstone

Post by wonderpug »

El Guapo wrote:For the first match I picked Mage and went with arcane missiles and fireball. The other guy picked the dude that increases your ability damage by 1 (didn't get to see the other card). I spammed arcane missiles the first few turns and then he conceded.

Absent healing it seems like those two cards would get you to 30 damage pretty reliably.
I tried your combo and my first opponent was a druid with innervate and Loetheb. :doh: I pretty much could only ever use my hero power.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Most fun combo I've found is Forbidden Ritual and Curse of Rafaam.

Ritual = Pay x mana and get that number of 1x1 Tentacles.
Curse = Give a curse card to your opponent that does 2 damage to him at the start of each turn. Cost 2 mana to discard it.

Curse shuts down all these annoying mage players because they spend every turn just getting rid of the cards you give them. All the while you flood the board with Tentacles to slowly poke away at them. :lol:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Voidcaller + Demonfire Warlock
Blessing of Might + Shield bearer Paladin

Both worked great

Just got beaten by a priest with mind blast. That might be the winner right there. Also had the minion that gives +1 as a one turn battlecry
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lordnine wrote:Most fun combo I've found is Forbidden Ritual and Curse of Rafaam.

Ritual = Pay x mana and get that number of 1x1 Tentacles.
Curse = Give a curse card to your opponent that does 2 damage to him at the start of each turn. Cost 2 mana to discard it.

Curse shuts down all these annoying mage players because they spend every turn just getting rid of the cards you give them. All the while you flood the board with Tentacles to slowly poke away at them. :lol:
Except the ones who play Sorcerer's Apprentice and Frostbolt.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote:Voidcaller + Demonfire Warlock
Blessing of Might + Shield bearer Paladin

Both worked great

Just got beaten by a priest with mind blast. That might be the winner right there. Also had the minion that gives +1 as a one turn battlecry
I did a deck with Mind Vision and Mind Blast. Get any interesting combo cards the other person has as a safeguard, but otherwise just spam mind blast. Beat a mage using Mana Worm and Frost Bolt - used frost bolts to kill their mana worms while I was killing them with frost bot.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I bet this would be an easy Tavern Brawl to get your opponent to quit out of frustration. Most annoying combo? Maybe Shield Block and Bash?
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I bet this would be an easy Tavern Brawl to get your opponent to quit out of frustration. Most annoying combo? Maybe Shield Block and Bash?
Well, that's basically what my combo does. It will kill most opponents outright but most people rage quit once they get four curse cards in their hands.

I think you would have a problem with Shield Block and Bash simply because they are both comparatively high mana cost. Most popular combos I've seen can kill you by turn 6.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

You're probably right. Tried the Knife Juggler/Summon Tentacle combo. Worked pretty well (i.e. I won), though my opponent didn't have the best combo (Arcane Missile/Unstable Portal).
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The most obnoxious combo is Mage - Ice Block + Fireball (or some other spell to do damage). After turn 3, they are immortal.
Close second is Murloc Tidecaller + Grimscale Oracle.

I pretty much see how most people will stop playing this brawl after the first day.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Just played 2 hunters in a row with the same combo: Mechwarper + Metaltooth Leaper. If I could reach through the screen and punch someone's teeth in, I would.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think my new favorite combo is Innervate + Coldlight Oracle. It allows you to play your entire deck by turn three. :lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh man, I just played the most irritating priest combo. Just Power Word: Glory (when a minion attacks you get +4 health) and Power Word: Death (kill a minion strength 5+). The only way the deck can win is: (1) it's playing a minion-based opponent; and (2) by causing them to quit in frustration (or, I suppose, drawing to death). I was playing a Paladin with Blessing of Might and Divine Blessing, so I just had to pile up Silver Hand recruits and blessings of might, keep the recruits below 5 health, let his hand pile up with Power Word: Deaths, and then at the end drop a huge recruit on him.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just played a guy who ran Innervate and Coldlight Oracle. I had Mechwarper (mechs cost one less) and Iron Juggernaut (legendary 6-cost mech that shuffles a 10 damage mine into the opponent's deck). He got my down to 3 health but couldn't finish me. After 2 Warpers, the rest are free and I then got enough Juggernauts out there that he kept drawing my mines. Turned out to be almost the perfect counter.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Unless you guys are still seeking your 1st win of the week and free pack, why the hell are you still playing? :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Sudy Nym wrote:Unless you guys are still seeking your 1st win of the week and free pack, why the hell are you still playing? :P
I pretty much ONLY play hearthstone for Brawls and gimmicky decks. The base game doesn’t do much for me anymore. Knowing that most people just look up a web deck to play takes most of the fun out of it for me.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't usually play Tavern Brawl after I win the pack, but this brawl is pretty fun to try out new card combinations.
Black Lives Matter
Zork

Post by Zork »

I can't decide if this is one of the best or worst brawl ideas. Most games end in less than one minute so I can grind out some easy gold.

I'm playing the Hunter with Mechwarper + Metaltooth Leaper. I win 60-70% of my brawls but get owned by Mage/Mana Wyrm + Frost Nova or Mage/Ice Block + Fireball.

-Zork
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

Lordnine wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:Unless you guys are still seeking your 1st win of the week and free pack, why the hell are you still playing? :P
I pretty much ONLY play hearthstone for Brawls and gimmicky decks. The base game doesn’t do much for me anymore. Knowing that most people just look up a web deck to play takes most of the fun out of it for me.
This for me too. Enjoyed it some early on, but now it's the same 4-5 decks all the time. Grew bored of it.
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

List of decks submitted for EU Spring Preliminary tournament. Note that there are no Druid or Mage decks, nor are there any C'thun decks.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Another interesting Tavern Brawl. This time you team up with the other player to take down a supped-up minion. He starts with something like 1 attack and 95 health, but quickly amps up his attacking powers. You can't chose your own deck or your own hero, so no insta-kill cards. I've tried it once (I was a priest, my teammate a paladin) and we got our butts kicked.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I remember this brawl, they already ran it once or twice last year. It's interesting when people are cooperating - but just wait until you end up paired with a troll that will deliberately keep you from winning.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I get the trolls. I hate this brawl, what a let down from last week.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I guess I've been lucky. Played three matches and was never matched with a troll. Is it possible to play the Tavern Brawl with someone on your friend's list?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think I got a troll on a previous version of this like once - doesn't seem super common. My general response in situations like that is to slow down and not do anything until the very end of my turn (when the 'fuse' is about to expire), as if they're going to waste my time, then I'll waste theirs.

As for the brawl generally, I like that it's definitely a challenge (and the cooperative dynamic is nice). It is a little frustrating that you need a healthy dose of luck in order to win.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Of course I get the Win Five Brawls quest. Next week :)
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say that I enjoyed getting a Refreshment Vendor up to 72 attack in this last brawl.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've almost accumulated enough dust to craft a legendary. I'll probably stick with a neutral card, just so it can be used in most of my decks. Any suggestions for an almost universally usable card? I know that Slyvanas is widely used, if not a bit boring. The guy that summons all your deathrattle cards seems pretty cool. As is the guy that can't attack but does 8 damage to a random enemy at the end of each turn. And of course, there's also Yogg-Saron...
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dr. Boom is a universally used neutral legendary, though (IIRC) it can't be used in standard anymore.

Is it possible to trade cards between players, by the way?
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't think so.

Dr. Boom would be almost certainly what I would craft if he was in Standard, but since that's what I normally play I think he's out of consideration.
Black Lives Matter
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

If you want a neutral that'll fit into almost any deck, then I'd go for Sylvanas.

N"zoth is probably better, (though less hilarious), than Yogg, but both are 10 mana and require you to build a deck around their battlecry. Sylvanas is 6 mana and works with almost anything.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Another thought is Ysera if you don't already have her, but she won't work in a fast deck of course :)
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wonder if it would be better to craft two top notch epic cards rather than one legendary?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I wonder if it would be better to craft two top notch epic cards rather than one legendary?

Depends on the deck. If you want to run handlock for example, you need the epic Giants for sure. Have you looked at the recent world's decks to get an idea of what you want to run?
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Can someone clarify for me how Reno Jackson works? The text description says something along the lines of he fully heals your hero if you only have 1 card of each type in your deck. That seems clear enough but yesterday I played someone who used Reno Jackson but then had two copies of Summoning Stone and Flamestrike. And a while ago I played someone who used Reno Jackson, then played the card that shuffles three copies of one card into his deck, and then used Reno Jackson again (and then a 3rd time...). Shouldn't he have not been able to use him the subsequent times since he now had three copies on one card in his deck? Or am I misinterpreting the text?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Can someone clarify for me how Reno Jackson works? The text description says something along the lines of he fully heals your hero if you only have 1 card of each type in your deck. That seems clear enough but yesterday I played someone who used Reno Jackson but then had two copies of Summoning Stone and Flamestrike. And a while ago I played someone who used Reno Jackson, then played the card that shuffles three copies of one card into his deck, and then used Reno Jackson again (and then a 3rd time...). Shouldn't he have not been able to use him the subsequent times since he now had three copies on one card in his deck? Or am I misinterpreting the text?
My understanding is that Reno heals you if at the time you summon him you have no duplicate cards in your deck. So you can have duplicate cards in your deck at the start of the game and still use Reno, as long as you draw at least one of the duplicates before casting Reno. So in the first case, it worked because the opponent had drawn at least one Summoning Stone and at least one Flamestrike before casting Reno.

As for the second example...that should have stopped him from using Reno, unless he drew two of those copies from the deck before casting Reno. Which I guess must've been what happened, as improbable as that may seem.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Can someone clarify for me how Reno Jackson works? The text description says something along the lines of he fully heals your hero if you only have 1 card of each type in your deck. That seems clear enough but yesterday I played someone who used Reno Jackson but then had two copies of Summoning Stone and Flamestrike. And a while ago I played someone who used Reno Jackson, then played the card that shuffles three copies of one card into his deck, and then used Reno Jackson again (and then a 3rd time...). Shouldn't he have not been able to use him the subsequent times since he now had three copies on one card in his deck? Or am I misinterpreting the text?
My understanding is that Reno heals you if at the time you summon him you have no duplicate cards in your deck. So you can have duplicate cards in your deck at the start of the game and still use Reno, as long as you draw at least one of the duplicates before casting Reno. So in the first case, it worked because the opponent had drawn at least one Summoning Stone and at least one Flamestrike before casting Reno.

As for the second example...that should have stopped him from using Reno, unless he drew two of those copies from the deck before casting Reno. Which I guess must've been what happened, as improbable as that may seem.
Ah - that makes sense. For some reason I assumed it meant total in your deck, not just in your deck at this moment (as opposed to in your hand or having been played). That also means I've been gimping the few decks I have with Reno Jackson, as I made the decks with no copies of any card.

As for the other case, it was near the very end of the game and if I remember correctly, the player may have drawn all his cards by the time he used Reno a second (and third) time.
Black Lives Matter
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I think I found the correct deck for this tavern brawl: Mage with Mana Wyrm, Mirror Image and Sorceror's Apprentice. Add whatever cheap stuff you like onto that. Won about six in a row with this deck. If you can start second and play the Wyrm and then Mirror Image you are pretty much all set for the rest of the game, which won't be very long.
No sig, must scream, etc.
KDH

Post by KDH »

paulbaxter wrote:I think I found the correct deck for this tavern brawl: Mage with Mana Wyrm, Mirror Image and Sorceror's Apprentice. Add whatever cheap stuff you like onto that. Won about six in a row with this deck. If you can start second and play the Wyrm and then Mirror Image you are pretty much all set for the rest of the game, which won't be very long.

I know nothing about Hearthstone .. so excuse me if this is totally off target

this guy seems to be talking about the same concept as you, perhaps with a few differences

Ain't nobody got time for that
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

paulbaxter wrote:I think I found the correct deck for this tavern brawl: Mage with Mana Wyrm, Mirror Image and Sorceror's Apprentice. Add whatever cheap stuff you like onto that. Won about six in a row with this deck. If you can start second and play the Wyrm and then Mirror Image you are pretty much all set for the rest of the game, which won't be very long.
I've been using Mana Wyrm, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Flamewaker, and Archmage Antonidas. Won 6 of 7 so far, with my only loss to a pretty much identical deck.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah, I think Mage + Mana Wyrm is the way to go. I tried my first few games as a Warlock because of a quest, but after quickly losing three or four matches to mages, switched over to a mage and promptly won right away.
Black Lives Matter