Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Released!

Post by Zenn7 »

Of significant note, the game has gone gold! :)

There is a gold version/bundle now that has ALL DLC, on sale for around $35 (Steam or GOG). You can just buy what you don't own on Steam this way. I didn't have the newest DLC (Retribution), mech parts, and the Star Control heroes. Really only cared about Retribution, but for $8 and some change (a little over $9 after taxes), I got it all. Cheapest I have seen Retribution yet!

Now I just have to actually play the game again some day (haven't since before I got Intrigue).
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v3.8 update is out! This update brings changes to the Ascension UI and adds special notifications whenever someone begins an Ascension.

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496307

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm The v3.8 update is out! This update brings changes to the Ascension UI and adds special notifications whenever someone begins an Ascension.

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496307

Enlarge Image
Appreciate updating the UI, especially the fonts to make them bigger :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well this sucks. I had uninstalled GC3 prior to upgrading to Win10 as I was backing up my C: drive just in case and was trying to limit the amount of space used. I've been playing other games since then with no issues. So this afternoon I reinstalled GC3, fired it up and got an error message before the game even ran saying "Failed to initialize display" :evil:

So off to Stardock for all the suggestions. Reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers with the "clean installation" option. Went through the various troubleshooting suggestions including turning off Steam Cloud Saves(?), changed screen settings and resolutions in the prefs file and deleting the GC3Crusade folder in My Games. Still the same error message :grund:

Now, after uninstalling the game, deleting the content in My Games and that in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ I'm now reinstalling the game. Fingers crossed.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, all that troubleshooting didn't help, nor did a bunch of other steps. So I opened a trouble ticket with Stardock. Just after I submitted the ticket I tried firing up "Thief Simulator" on Steam and got a black screen. On the troubleshooting message in the forum it suggested a few things. One was to download and reinstall directx_Jun2010_redist.exe and so I did that. While it was updating DirectX I also did another step in the troubleshooting (yes, I know, I shouldn't do two things without testing in between). The troubleshooting was:

"For NVIDIA user, my solution was:
-right click on desktop
-nvidia controll
-adjust the size and position of the desktop
-second option (full screen)"

Between one of the two troubleshooting steps (I'm thinking the second one), the problem was solved, GC3 started normally, as does Thief Simulator. It never fails, right after I report a problem I figured out how to fix it :roll: . Maybe this info can be help to someone else.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 pm "For NVIDIA user, my solution was:
-right click on desktop
-nvidia controll
-adjust the size and position of the desktop
-second option (full screen)"

Between one of the two troubleshooting steps (I'm thinking the second one), the problem was solved, GC3 started normally, as does Thief Simulator. It never fails, right after I report a problem I figured out how to fix it :roll: . Maybe this info can be help to someone else.
Weird. Glad you finally got it working though. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Just a reminder we have a free Steam weekend and sale on GalCiv III. :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2268 ... tions_III/
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We announced today that the Villains of Star Control: Origins are invading Galactic Civilizations III on August 27th! The new DLC adds new races to the game, each with their own unique abilities, ship styles, and theme music.

More info: https://www.galciv3.com/article/496412

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

More races are good, and just in time for gaming season!
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Villains of Star Control: Origins has released for Galactic Civilizations III! The DLC adds new races to the game, each with their own unique abilities, ship styles, theme music, and more!

In addition to the new DLC, we've released a new v3.9 update for the game that includes massively shorter late game turn times, updated balance based on feedback, AI improvements, new star base modules and lots more.

More info and full v3.9 changelog:

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496599

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zone of Control update

No more fog of war in your empire. All territory in your Zone of Control now is always visible. This helps you keep an eye on what other factions are doing in your backyard.
That's rather a major change. I was playing a game started under 3.8 and when I just fired it up, boom, this enormous hexagon of orange (my faction color) rather than tendrils here and there.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More changes coming to GalCiv3: We are on the road to v4.0
We are on the road to v4.0.

It's hard to believe that GalCiv III was released nearly five years ago. We've made a lot of changes since then.

Version 4.0 is being designed to bring a ton of new features, we won't go over all the changes here but instead will take you on a bit of a guided tour.

Most of the changes are for users of Retribution which is the latest expansion. If you don't have that, I highly recommend getting it.
I can second that recommendation to pick up the Retribution DLC if you haven't already. It will probably be on sale when 4.0 is released, but might be worth wishlisting it just in case.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Galactic Civilizations III: Worlds in Crisis and Major v4.0 Update Announced

Damn, isn't the galaxy always in crisis?
Experience new world crises, planet types and traits, plus visual and balance improvements with v4.0

Stardock announced the new Worlds in Crisis DLC and free v4.0 update for its massive space sandbox 4X strategy game, Galactic Civilizations III today.

Worlds in Crisis introduces several new world events with ideological choices, new planet types, and over a dozen new planet features. Long-time players will find many new strategic options while players picking up the game for the very first time will also encounter exciting new experiences.

The free v4.0 update adds huge performance increases and makes vast visual improvements to the game’s planets, both on the surface and from orbit. A massive list of additional balance and AI improvements also accompany v4.0, which is already in opt-in. The current changelog is available in the forums.

In Worlds in Crisis, players may encounter worlds struggling with crises from planetary mutations, to raging pandemics, to murderers on the loose, and much more. Each crisis tells a planet’s story and the player’s decisions on how to handle them will determine how it resolves in the end.

There are also several new planet types to explore, offering new and exciting bonuses for those brave enough to colonize them. Players might encounter a sterile planet that isn’t meant for housing life, but is suited for the experiments of a mad scientist, or a beautiful and serene tranquil type world, perfect for retirement and tourism. New islands, continents, and landmasses provide many new options.

“Our community provided most of the feedback that shaped v4.0,” said Stardock CEO Brad Wardell. “Thanks to them, we were able to review and optimize everything in order to make things run faster. We also worked in some performance improvements while still making the game look better than ever.”

The Worlds in Crisis DLC and 4.0 update is coming soon!
Checks to see if Steam has my credit card info... it has :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the Worlds In Crisis DLC is released, plus the 4.0 update:

Galactic Civilizations III 5th Anniversary Update and Worlds in Crisis DLC are Now Available
Every world has a story, and it’s up to you to decide how it ends.

In Worlds in Crisis, you will encounter a host of new world events with ideological choices that you will have to resolve. Several new planet types and over a dozen new planet features also await you, breathing new life into the game for old-time Galactic Civilizations players while offering exciting options for people picking up the game for the first time.

The free v4.0 update adds huge performance increases and makes vast visual improvements to the game’s planets, both on the surface and from orbit. Thanks to the numerous feedback we've received from fans, a lengthy list of balance and AI improvements are also in v4.0. To see what's new, check out the complete changelog for the update at the bottom of the post!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Last year's expansion also came out right at the end of gaming season, I bought it but never got back to in the fall when gaming season resumed. Now I'll be two behind, but fall gaming season is in jeopardy if the schools are still closed and I have to spend whatever time I can spare being a teacher.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Free on Epic Games store until next Thursday:
The Epic Games Store is now offering free copies of Galactic Civilizations III for Windows as its latest weekly giveaway. Stardock's space strategy sequel is yours to keep as long as you snag a copy between now and next Thursday. At that point first-person puzzle game Relicta will take its place with a 100% discount. Here's a bit on GalCiv3:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Been a while, but if like me you're finding you'd rather stick with GalCiv3 than go on to Epic and GalCiv4, you're in for a treat. The devs have been preparing a major update for GalCiv3 which is version 4.5 and they now have it available as an Opt-in only. The full release should be coming soon but if you want to play around with it, then:
To opt-in:
• Select Galactic Civilizations III from your Steam Library
• Click the gear icon (upper-right) and select Properties
• Select BETAs from the side-nav
• Select opt-in-update from the drop-down and click OK
And here is a link to the full update notes: GalCiv III v4.5 Changelog [Opt-in Only]. Notes are also in the spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
We promised a GalCiv III v4.5 and we mean it and so here is what we’re working on.

So without further delay here are the changes in GalCiv III v4.5 which is now available on Steam opt-in update branch:

Note: Most of these updates are for the latest expansion: Retribution. It is the ultimate version of GalCiv III and has gone through a lot of improvements since its first release.
• AI’s will now merge with the weakest other civ if they are hopelessly behind after 75 turns.
• Turns before an AI can surrender changed from 100 to 75 but odds of surrendering in a given turn reduced..
• Yor Fusion Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 2 to 1.
• Yor Anti-Matter Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 2 to 1.
• Yor Quantum-Matter Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 4 to 1.
• Earth planet class increased from 12 to 16 (4 additional starting tiles to build on)
• All other starting planets also given +4 starting tiles.
• Yor (Synthetic civs) can now build more population starting turn 1.
• Yor manufacture population now only requires Durantium.
• Yor starting base population cap reduced from 16 to 8.
• All players now also start with a Scout ship to help get exploration moving a bit faster.
• Most starting trade resources on planets require Promethion to upgrade. This was a bit of a newbie trap before where new players could find themselves with several things to start building on their planets that have little near-term benefit.
• Theocracy Government Colony Limit increased from 5 to 50 to make it more attractive.
• Unity Government Colony Limit increased from 7 to 32 to make it more attractive.
• Republic Government Colony Limit increased from 16 to 32 to make it more attractive.
• Emergency Coalition Government Colony Limit increased from 12 to 50 to make it viable.
• Empire Government Colony Limit increased from 36 to 72 to make it more attractive.
• Several other government types tweaked slightly.
• Like with planetary Trade Resources, most artifacts found on worlds now require Promethion to upgrade to avoid the newbie trap, new player overload.
• Going over colony limit from government penalty reduced from 25% to 20%.
• Capital World raw production points increased from 3 to 5.
• Capital World raw gross income increased from 10 to 12
• Strategic Command now provides general manufacturing instead of just Military and provide Manufacturing bonuses to adjacent improvements.
• Basic Factory improvement cost increased from 30 to 40 but has been moved up in the tech tree so players get it earlier.
• The Bank…is no longer indestructible.
• Several other banking and financial buildings are no longer indestructible.
• Entertainment Center tech requirement moved from Cultural Exchange to Universal Translator.
• The Mega resort is no longer indestructible.
• However, Paxton’s Emporium IS indestructible now.
• Carriers are more powerful but now require Large Scale Construction tech (moved far back in the tech tree).
• Updated many of the event graphics with new better looking ones.
• AI Trade offers are much, MUCH better.
• So many bug fixes.
• Fixed bug that caused AI to “see” planets the player could see even though it was in that player’s FOW.
• AI much better as handling taxes
• AI much MUCH better at choosing what technology to research which should make it far more effective when at war.
• AI better about offering treaty trades
• AI will abort offering a trade to another player (AI or human) if it determines it’s a really unreasonable trade.
• Crusade: Durantium requirement removed from bigger hull classes to match Retribution.
• Base ship speed increased by +2
• Large hull HP increased from 80 to 100
• Large hull cost increased from 400 to 500.
• All Engine upgrades get +1 more moves (if you are putting on hyperdrive you should get more than 1 extra move)
• Tiny hulls get +1 moves.
• Lower end weapons no longer require a special resource (i.e. particle beams don't require Elerium).
• Root threshold of faction power before surrendering changed from 25% to 20% (AI slightly less likely to surrender).
RMC

Post by RMC »

So I should love these games, but could never get into them. Not sure why. Is Gal Civ 4 more of the same, and/or should I give Gal Civ 3 another try?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ditto. I love turn based 4X but this series doesn't do it for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

RMC wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 am So I should love these games, but could never get into them. Not sure why. Is Gal Civ 4 more of the same, and/or should I give Gal Civ 3 another try?
GC4 made some design decisions that I think make it less interesting than GC3. Also GC4 is still an Epic exclusive.
RMC

Post by RMC »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:38 am
RMC wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 am So I should love these games, but could never get into them. Not sure why. Is Gal Civ 4 more of the same, and/or should I give Gal Civ 3 another try?
GC4 made some design decisions that I think make it less interesting than GC3. Also GC4 is still an Epic exclusive.
Ugh, I was not really into GC3, so if 4 became less interesting, then I am not even going to look at it.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The V4.5 update I mentioned has been released on the standard, non-opt-in version (heaven's that's awkward). Here's some more info in an article from Stardock:
v4.5 makes some updates that help get your early game moving just a little bit faster. You now start with 2 scouts and all starting worlds have 4 more tiles and additional currency on them. Diplomatic trades have also been tweaked so that you can get a little more bang for your buck – or your Elerium, if credits simply aren’t enticing enough.

We’ve also updated several of the art assets for events so that you can enjoy a fresh new look. Updates to the AI improve game pacing and support further immersion with things like better tax handling, choosing what technology to research, and aborting trades with the player if it determines the trade is truly unreasonable.
Full V4.5 change log in the spoiler tags:
Spoiler:
Galactic Civilizations III v4.5 Changelog

Note: Most of these updates are for the latest expansion: Retribution. It is the ultimate version of GalCiv III and has gone through a lot of improvements since its first release.[and honestly, if you aren't playing Retribution you are really missing out - jzt]

• AI’s will now merge with the weakest other civ if they are hopelessly behind after 75 turns.
• Turns before an AI can surrender changed from 100 to 75 but odds of surrendering in a given turn reduced..
• Yor Fusion Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 2 to 1.
• Yor Anti-Matter Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 2 to 1.
• Yor Quantum-Matter Matrix improvement pop cap benefit reduced from 4 to 1.
• Earth planet class increased from 12 to 16 (4 additional starting tiles to build on)
• All other starting planets also given +4 starting tiles.
• Yor (Synthetic civs) can now build more population starting turn 1.
• Yor manufacture population now only requires Durantium.
• Yor starting base population cap reduced from 16 to 8.
• All players now also start with a Scout ship to help get exploration moving a bit faster.
• Most starting trade resources on planets require Promethion to upgrade. This was a bit of a newbie trap before where new players could find themselves with several things to start building on their planets that have little near-term benefit.
• Theocracy Government Colony Limit increased from 5 to 50 to make it more attractive.
• Unity Government Colony Limit increased from 7 to 32 to make it more attractive.
• Republic Government Colony Limit increased from 16 to 32 to make it more attractive.
• Emergency Coalition Government Colony Limit increased from 12 to 50 to make it viable
• Empire Government Colony Limit increased from 36 to 72 to make it more attractive.
• Several other government types tweaked slightly.
• Like with planetary Trade Resources, most artifacts found on worlds now require Promethion to upgrade to avoid the newbie trap, new player overload.
• Going over colony limit from government penalty reduced from 25% to 20%.
• Capital World raw production points increased from 3 to 5.
• Capital World raw gross income increased from 10 to 12
• Strategic Command now provides general manufacturing instead of just Military and provide Manufacturing bonuses to adjacent improvements.
• Basic Factory improvement cost increased from 30 to 40 but has been moved up in the tech tree so players get it earlier.
• The Bank…is no longer indestructible.
• Several other banking and financial buildings are no longer indestructible.
• Entertainment Center tech requirement moved from Cultural Exchange to Universal Translator.
• The Mega resort is no longer indestructible.
• However, Paxton’s Emporium IS indestructible now.
• Carriers are more powerful but now require Large Scale Construction tech (moved far back in the tech tree).
• Updated many of the event graphics with new better looking ones.
• AI Trade offers are much, MUCH better.
• So many bug fixes.
• Fixed bug that caused AI to “see” planets the player could see even though it was in that player’s FOW.
• AI much better as handling taxes
• AI much MUCH better at choosing what technology to research which should make it far more effective when at war.
• AI better about offering treaty trades
• AI will abort offering a trade to another player (AI or human) if it determines it’s a really unreasonable trade.
• Crusade: Durantium requirement removed from bigger hull classes to match Retribution.
• Base ship speed increased by +2
• Large hull HP increased from 80 to 100
• Large hull cost increased from 400 to 500.
• All Engine upgrades get +1 more moves (if you are putting on hyperdrive you should get more than 1 extra move)
• Tiny hulls get +1 moves.
• Lower end weapons no longer require a special resource (i.e. particle beams don't require Elerium).
• Root threshold of faction power before surrendering changed from 25% to 20% (AI slightly less likely to surrender).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The game I started earlier this week has none of this. I demand to speak to Steam's manager.

I'd restart, but after 15 hours things are going my way.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:57 am The game I started earlier this week has none of this. I demand to speak to Steam's manager.

It might require a new game start. I did start a new game and saw the changes. And I used the Quick Start settings and I forgot how many good worlds are spawned with those settings. It put me in the center of a spiral galaxy with 27 other civs. After an hour of playing I'm starting to see others. I usually go for a more sparse number of good worlds and farther apart. I had four colonies going and had taken almost all the pops from Earth to do it. Now I'm just spamming starbases :D, but I'll probably start a new game and tinker with galaxy settings.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

***Galactic Civilizations III 4.51 Update ***

Balance
• Colony Capital Morale bonus reduced from 2 to 1 (in base crusade only, in Retribution it was already 1).
• Added the City Improvement for Synthetic species.
• The AI is less likely to surrender as quickly.

Fixes
• Fixed an issue where the Get DLC button can show up even if you already have all the DLC.
• Fixed an issue where the Korath don't have a starting survey ship.
• Fixed an issue where the Drath don't have a starting survey ship.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:41 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:57 am The game I started earlier this week has none of this. I demand to speak to Steam's manager.

It might require a new game start. I did start a new game and saw the changes. And I used the Quick Start settings and I forgot how many good worlds are spawned with those settings. It put me in the center of a spiral galaxy with 27 other civs. After an hour of playing I'm starting to see others. I usually go for a more sparse number of good worlds and farther apart. I had four colonies going and had taken almost all the pops from Earth to do it. Now I'm just spamming starbases :D, but I'll probably start a new game and tinker with galaxy settings.
As it turns out, I never did start a game with the 4.5+ update, but now I'm engrossed in learning Stellaris and won't be going back to GC3 any time soon.