Awesome covers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Awesome covers

Post by Smoove_B »

That GnR cover is absurd. ABSURD!

Also, I am not sure how I had a complete black hole memory for not only this cover but that it was part of the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack. The mid 90s apparently did a number on my brain. Thanks college!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I hadn't even realized that one was a cover. The Crash Test Dummies had quite a number of hits. Almost had an opportunity to see Brad Roberts at our local music festival years ago, but I ended up not going, but I ended hearing afterwards that he was so drunk and high and it ended up being one of the worst shows at the festival.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If System of a Down did "Barbie Girl"

Incredibly accurate.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Melvins covering Soundgarden "Spoonman" with Matt Cameron, so double drums...

Play it to listen, video is seizure inducing:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I have that on the album, which I had pre-ordered. I think I had also posted it earlier. Such an oddball cover that for some reason still kind of works.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm I have that on the album, which I had pre-ordered. I think I had also posted it earlier. Such an oddball cover that for some reason still kind of works.
Sorry, didn't realize it had already been posted. I just came across it for the first time a couple of days ago when I heard a Nickel Creek song being played on the radio, and had to immediately look them up. Solid, solid stuff, but I was also quite disappointed to see they broke up like...more than a decade ago!! :(

I knew about Chris Thile from Live from Here on NPR (with the above Sarah Jarosz showing up all the time), which led me to looking up Punch Brothers, but for some reason had not known about this amazing band. I think their stuff is much stronger than Punch Brothers, personally, although maybe Punch Brothers are more well-known? No idea.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

(re)went through all the Johnny Cash albums on (def) American recently... i realized i liked the versions of Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' "Southern Accents"

also like his take on "I Won't Back Down" - Cash should have covered the entire Tom Petty "greatest hits" album, i'd listen to it then.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:41 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm I have that on the album, which I had pre-ordered. I think I had also posted it earlier. Such an oddball cover that for some reason still kind of works.
Sorry, didn't realize it had already been posted. I just came across it for the first time a couple of days ago when I heard a Nickel Creek song being played on the radio, and had to immediately look them up. Solid, solid stuff, but I was also quite disappointed to see they broke up like...more than a decade ago!! :(

Oh no worries! This thread is quite busy and I wouldn't be surprised if there was stuff that wasn't already posted once or twice before.

Yeah, I'd been into Nickel Creek quite a bit at one point. They were quite active up until around 2007. Then they'd announced that they were taking a break, and at that point, you never know if that means they'll ever come back, you know? So, it was a complete surprise when they'd announced a new studio album out of the blue in 2014, which is what this cover is from. And I see that they now have a live album recorded in 2020. I'd always wanted to see them live, but never had the opportunity, so this could be the next next best thing. And that particular cover seems to be a direct answer to their live cover of Britney Spear's Toxic. It had become quite popular, but they hadn't put out a new album in some time.

I don't know if I'd say the Punch Brothers are more well-known, but it's definitely more recent. It's Chris Thiles current project, but it feels like he doesn't quite do the same type of stuff with it as he'd done with Nickel Creek, which makes sense since he'd started it even while he was still with Nickel Creek. I have their album they did with Yo-Yo Ma, but it's more in the experimental side. Sara Watkins has been fairly successful on her own, and has more recently teamed up with Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan for a band they call I'm With Her.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

wait... Yo-Yo Ma did an experimental album !?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I mean,. He collaborated with The Punch Brothers, Chris Thile's band, which was a bit of an experimental album. Maybe not in the usual sense, but it also wasn't very typical. It was called The Goat Rodeo Sessions. With a name like that, it's gotta be good, right? :D You can get a good idea of it here
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That Toxic cover you linked to is hilarious because of the guitar player’s expression for most of the song. It clearly says: “I hate this, this was a bad idea, and I’m only up here doing it because I got outvoted by the band.” 😀

Also, I couldn’t stop seeing Chris Thile as Justin Timberlake singing that!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 pm (re)went through all the Johnny Cash albums on (def) American recently... i realized i liked the versions of Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' "Southern Accents"

also like his take on "I Won't Back Down" - Cash should have covered the entire Tom Petty "greatest hits" album, i'd listen to it then.

Wait, how did I not know he did Tom Petty on his American releases?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:58 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 pm (re)went through all the Johnny Cash albums on (def) American recently... i realized i liked the versions of Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' "Southern Accents"

Wait, how did I not know he did Tom Petty on his American releases?
not only that, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ARE Cash's backing band on the later albums.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:27 am That Toxic cover you linked to is hilarious because of the guitar player’s expression for most of the song. It clearly says: “I hate this, this was a bad idea, and I’m only up here doing it because I got outvoted by the band.” 😀

Also, I couldn’t stop seeing Chris Thile as Justin Timberlake singing that!
I know, right! But at the same time, they've had great fun doing that and it had become popular at their concerts. So much so that in a roundabout way, it helped to make the song not suck so much :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Anyone not Canadian familiar with the Cowboy Junkies? Heard this awesome cover of David Bowie's 5 Years that they recently done, and it's quite evocative.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've always been a fan of their cover of Sweet Jane. It's probably my favorite version. I can't comment on this one (at least as a cover). I'm unfamiliar with the original.

Edit: I liked it. But it's not exactly a cheerful song, eh?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, but I don't think the original was either. The imagery in this video though along with the words, is pretty powerful.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is it still a cover when one of the original musicians is playing on it? :) Been listening to quite a bit of Alkline Trio and I had no idea they covered this...or that there was a video. Thanks again, internet.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:32 pm Anyone not Canadian familiar with the Cowboy Junkies?
Whaaaat?

They were huge in college-music circles in the very late 1980s, or at least they were on my campus in Atlanta. THE TRINITY SESSIONS album was the breakout, but I kept up with later releases too.

I saw them live around 1994 and they were terrific.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's just that it's not always clear what our breakout artists are, when many of our artists never end up being popular outside Canada, ie Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip. That's why I was asking ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:25 pm It's just that it's not always clear what our breakout artists are, when many of our artists never end up being popular outside Canada, ie Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip. That's why I was asking ;)
No wonder, since you commit acts of war imposing the likes of Celine Dion and Justin Beiber upon us.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You say that as if that's the only thing we've ever sent you. Like, whatever, but you've missed out on some great stuff. But to reduce it to those two feels so wrong. It's like if I were to point out America's examples of beer being Budweiser and Miller. They're just not very good, yeah? But they're far from being the only outputs, and we all know it.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go play the 1812 Overture.... :wink:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not a cover but Canada's best

though seriously my favorite Canadian band probably remains The Dreadnoughts. The last new music I listened to getting on years ago was largely from Canada, in Holy Fuck and CATL. Both put on great live shows.

I would also guess that the most popular radio station in Detroit from maybe 89 to maybe 93 was broadcasting from Windsor, so we've probably known a bit more Canadian music than most others in the US.
Last edited by LordMortis on Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I like the shift in tone, and I think his voice is perfect for the song.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I liked Michael Hedges cover of Love Bizarre.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm
I would also guess that the most popular radio station in Detroit from maybe 89 to maybe 93 was broadcasting from Windsor, so we've probably known a bit more Canadian music than most others in the US.
Yeah, I would assume those near the border would have a bit more exposure to it. In fact, I think I heard of Lowest of the Low from one of you guys! Like, I know you guys got your exposure to the Hip that way. But there are still so many Canadian bands that are very much unheard of outside of it, for whatever reason. Blue Rodeo continues to be one of my favourite of those, multi-platinum selling artists, that even got performances on Letterman and other American late-night shows, but to Americans, it's as if they don't exist.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The shame is if you are not RUSH, Niel Young, or Leonard Cohen then when the newness goes away, so does the music. I mean even the likes of Allanis Morrisette and Shania Twain, gone. I'd still love to turn on the radio and hear Spirit of the West as a classic rock band.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, to some degree, yeah. But in other cases, we still hear a lot from them on this side of the border, and some pretty much constantly. Like for instance, Shania Twain is gearing up again and Netflix just released a new documentary about her earlier this year. FWIW, in that documtary she describes why she took a break. It was due to some ilness that weakened her and her vocal chords and it took some time for her to recover from that, both physically and mentally.

And yeah, I know what you mean with Spirit of the West. Sadly their lead singer passed away after a bout of dementia several years ago. Damn shame, as I consider them one of my favourites. I still like to think that our radio broadcasts are more friendly towards artists in general though.

Like here's one for the thread. A few years ago at my local festival, I saw a band from the Nunavut. They were awesome. As big as Country is, one thing I like the diverse influences and styles we have in this Country. Here's their cover of Tragically Hip's Ahead by a Century. Saw them live and their energy was so infectious.

Here's one of their originals:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rumpy wrote:You say that as if that's the only thing we've ever sent you. Like, whatever, but you've missed out on some great stuff. But to reduce it to those two feels so wrong. It's like if I were to point out America's examples of beer being Budweiser and Miller. They're just not very good, yeah? But they're far from being the only outputs, and we all know it.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go play the 1812 Overture.... :wink:
Exactly...no way it's fair to leave out Nickelback. Those guys will be around forever!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh, they're a bit of an enigma. We don't know how Nickelback got famous as they're not well-liked here either.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

T-Pain's cover of "War Pigs" absolutely blew me away. It's incredible. :shock:

I never in a million, billion years would have expected to write that sentence.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Skinypupy wrote:T-Pain's cover of "War Pigs" absolutely blew me away. It's incredible. :shock:

I never in a million, billion years would have expected to write that sentence.

I just heard this yesterday when it popped up on my Spotify new release playlist...very cool and totally unexpected.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ghost did a cover of Genesis' "Jesus He Knows Me" that is excellent.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Here's a great belated Happy Easter cover. Very nice distinct lyrics. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dszpVNJIklM
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter