Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Xmann

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Xmann »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Xmann wrote:I've played for a couple dozen hours and now I get a crash to desktop as soon as I try starting up.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled drivers and nothing works!

Was gifted Far Cry 3 and I get black screen and won't start either.

However, several other steam games play without issue.

What gives?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
verify the game files/cache through Steam
No idea how to check that. I'm a PC newbie for the most part.

Doing a quick Google shows these two games have caused crashes, but I'm not interested in editing files for a fix.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Xmann wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:
Xmann wrote:I've played for a couple dozen hours and now I get a crash to desktop as soon as I try starting up.

What gives?

Doing a quick Google shows these two games have caused crashes, but I'm not interested in editing files for a fix.

Right click the game in your Steam library. Properties/Local Files/Verify Integrity.

It is a standard troubleshooting technique for pretty much any game that uses Steam (which is most of them.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Blackhawk wrote:
Xmann wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:

What gives?

Right click the game in your Steam library. Properties/Local Files/Verify Integrity.

It is a standard troubleshooting technique for pretty much any game that uses Steam (which is most of them.)
And when I do this, what am I looking for?

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It will either tell you that everything was fine, or automatically download the files that failed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:It will either tell you that everything was fine, or automatically download the files that failed.
OK, Fallout is working again but no go on Far Cry 3

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

This kept happening to me. The game would start up, then shut down after 3-5 seconds. Verifying the cache would always reacquire 2-3 files. It seemed to happen when I fiddled with Nexus Mod Manager and/or mods. I suspect it had something to do with the read/read-only state of one or more of the config files. But I never wanted to spend that much time trying to figure it out.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote:This kept happening to me. The game would start up, then shut down after 3-5 seconds. Verifying the cache would always reacquire 2-3 files. It seemed to happen when I fiddled with Nexus Mod Manager and/or mods. I suspect it had something to do with the read/read-only state of one or more of the config files. But I never wanted to spend that much time trying to figure it out.
Modding the game will often have this result (the verification replacing files, not the crashing.) Skyrim was the same way. Standard official troubleshooting for most games with mods is 'remove all mods', regardless of whether it is practical for the player or not.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Far Harbor DLC trailer, DLC out May 19th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0wSCFBJcSs

Looks pretty cool to me.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Now that is the kind of DLC I've been waiting for. 8-)
-mf
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Any feedback on the Far Harbor DLC yet?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Um.......it's too expensive?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Any feedback on the Far Harbor DLC yet?
Most reviews are pretty favorable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought you fellow OOrs would get a kick out of this squid follower mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBhf-UgLiJE

Skip to 6:25 for the mod.

This link takes you to the mod on Nexus
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13945/?

You can have him as a follower, a gun, or minisquids on stuff. You can also make him armor and weapons.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So I've never played any of the previous Fallout games but purchased this back in February once our computer was upgraded. I jumped right into X-Com2 but heard all about FO4 since my son decided to start with it. I couldn't tear myself away from X-Com2 but when I was ready I heard about the updated "Survivor" mode and was intrigued by it... so I chose to wait and play once that mode was available. Probably not the smart decision for a first playthrough but right now, at level 30, it's been one hell of a game. Was curious if anyone else here has been playing this mode?

My first attempt didn't go well at all. One of the first battles after leaving the vault gave me an infection. The description for it said "periodic damage" which I didn't think would be too bad. Turns out it was around 15-20% of my HP every 5 minutes, give or take. Fortunately you can't die in your sleep from it otherwise I'd have been dead that first day. I was downing stimpacks, water, anything like a mad man trying to stay alive. I got as far as dealing with the Concord Deathclaw before I was out of stimpacks and other health aids and then quit. Antibiotics would have stopped the infection but they're a rare find in medical kits (I hadn't found any by that point, have found very few (3-4?) in my current game at lv30), the few merchants I ran into didn't sell them, and crafting them required the Chemist perk which I was far from being able to get. I wound up quitting and starting over.

Carry weight has been the biggest pain in my experience. I've adapted to it but as someone who turned into a real hoarder in this game it's been problematic. My play sessions pretty much revolve around going out into the world, looting until I and my companion can't carry any more, return to base. A lot of my life also revolved around collecting empty bottles and going into Vault 111 to fill them up there as it's clean water. This was before I hit the tutorial quests about building your settlement and building water pumps.

Settlement building didn't really appeal much to me, in part because I knew Sanctuary was stuck in the NW corner and I ultimately wanted somewhere more centrally located to be "home". Oberland Station has become my new home. I kicked the 2 residents out (leaving one just to act as the supply line provider), tore out the gardens and basically just built up walls, corners and machine gun turrets around the railway station/tower there. Hauling my collected stuff from Sanctuary to there took about 5 trips and I'm thankful the supply lines meant I could keep "junk" wherever it is and not haul it to Oberland Station.

Having to save at beds hasn't been that big of an issue. They're not that hard to find and there's only been a few times I've died long after a save.

Long story short, it was a very tense start. I've relied heavily on being a sneaky bastard and just running away when things go bad. It wasn't until I hit level 20 and had some nice weapons and enough fusion cores to use my power armor fairly regularly that I started feeling secure.

This weekend I hit the jackpot... looting an "Instigating" hunter rifle off a legendary enemy. I stopped my progress in a fairly lengthy area just to go to the nearest bed and save so I wouldn't lose it. It's fully upgraded now, and I built up my agility enough to start putting points in the Ninja perk so I should be one-shotting big guys fairly soon :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I plan on starting a survival run after I get back from vacation in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I switched to survival at lvl 68 and love it. I've been really tempted to do a restart with it on but I like my current character far too much.

Far harbor is fantastic. Base settlements have really nice layouts. The new monsters are fun and challenging, the story makes for some actual tough decisions. The island itself is beautiful and dark but not without its clear moments. On survival mode there can be some very tough slogs until you really wrest control of the island from the fog. It's big but not so much that you really miss fast travel. Or your vertibird taxi (so awesome for survival mode). A boat vehicle would have been a fun if unnecessary addition. Definately have aqua boy or the dive suit.
I got way more than twenty hours out of it (partly due to survival mode) and I even find myself looking for reasons to go back.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

My son started a survival mode character not long after I started playing. At first it was comical comparing our "war stories" where he detailed various quests and fights in his "normal" game while I went on about finding a lot of empty bottles for purified water and upping my strength so I could carry more stuff.

Then I started talking about little side stuff and locations I encountered along the way and he realized they were all spots he probably went by once and didn't notice, then just fast travelled past them all. He's enjoying seeing the world as whole now, but agrees Sanctuary being stuck in the NW corner is a real pain if you want that to be "home".

One thing I've noticed in my travels is that there are certain locations where it seems like there's always something going on. This one half demolished shop a little north of Cambridge for example, or the Boston outskirts near Vault 81. If it's been a few hours between passing through there's always some group there, often two groups battling each other.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... Thinking back, I rarely saw groups fighting. Once the BoS showed up, there were a few more occurrences, but mostly it was pretty quiet for me.

I definitely want to give Survival a try. But I'm going to try and hold out for a while. For a couple of reasons. First, so I can grab some of the DLC on sale (or all of it). Second, so that maybe someone will fix the bug with my graphics card that kills my video driver every time it rains, forcing me to hard boot the pc. Or, third, until I get a newer/better pc (with a different video card).

But the itch is there.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote:maybe someone will fix the bug with my graphics card that kills my video driver every time it rains, forcing me to hard boot the pc. Or, third, until I get a newer/better pc (with a different video card).
Quick research indicates this might be a combination of "Wetness" and "Lighting Quality" settings. Have you tried turning those down?

You might also try toggling Rain Occlusion - turn it off if it's on, or on if it's off.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

TheMix wrote:Hmmm... Thinking back, I rarely saw groups fighting. Once the BoS showed up, there were a few more occurrences, but mostly it was pretty quiet for me.
Within Boston I heard fighting going on most of the time. Sometimes I actually saw groups fighting, usually Super Mutants vs. Raiders or Gunners.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote:
TheMix wrote:maybe someone will fix the bug with my graphics card that kills my video driver every time it rains, forcing me to hard boot the pc. Or, third, until I get a newer/better pc (with a different video card).
Quick research indicates this might be a combination of "Wetness" and "Lighting Quality" settings. Have you tried turning those down?

You might also try toggling Rain Occlusion - turn it off if it's on, or on if it's off.
Yup. Tried them all. No luck.

Though I decided to search again and found this link: https://community.amd.com/thread/192781

One person said that the "new" drivers fixed it for him. I thought my drivers were up to date. But the last post suggests that maybe my tool isn't finding the latest drivers. I'll have to check that.

But all the "usual" fixes were useless. This is a problem specific to the R9 380.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There was a glitch today for consoles where Fallout 4. all DLC, and season passes were free for a bit . Seems its fixed. Doubt they'll honor anyone that got it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like Fallout 4 VR is going to be a thing.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Several new DLC announced, including one to be released next week.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This looks pretty sweet (albeit pricey). I want it, but I'll probably live without it, especially given the fine print (well, not fine, but way down at the bottom of the bullet points): "Does not interface with the game." Bleh.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Get the Fallout 4 app and strap your smartphone to your wrist for a Pip-Boy that works with the game. I started using my iPad with it and it's great for displaying the map while you're moving around. Actually makes the local map somewhat useful at times too.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

What the heck is the use of something like that that doesn't interface with the game? How can they say it is officially licensed if it doesn't do that? Just weird.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daveman wrote:Get the Fallout 4 app and strap your smartphone to your wrist for a Pip-Boy that works with the game. I started using my iPad with it and it's great for displaying the map while you're moving around. Actually makes the local map somewhat useful at times too.
I tried getting my tablet to work, but was never successful. Probably too outdated. I wonder if I'd have better luck with my newer phone. I'll have to try that again when I fired it up in the future.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Doomboy wrote:What the heck is the use of something like that that doesn't interface with the game?
Cosplayers.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Doomboy wrote:What the heck is the use of something like that that doesn't interface with the game? How can they say it is officially licensed if it doesn't do that? Just weird.
Duh, why does it have to work with the game to be officially licensed?
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

I never played this game and am thinking of giving it a try... but I have an aversion to real time combat and anything that amounts to quick, skillful clicking. I see all these references to a combat system called VATS in the game, but do not understand. Is this an alternative to real time combat, such that I wouldn't have any fast clicking to deal with?
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just to clarify, Fallout 4 is an FPS with RPG elements. Real time is about the only way FPSs come. With that said, what VATS in Fallout 4 does is significantly slow down time for a few seconds so that you can carefully pick targets.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

VATS is limited too. You can't use it all the time, there's a cool down cycle as you rebuild action points to use it again.

But I would say don't let that keep you from trying this game. I abhor FPS games (because I'm terrible at them) but quickly became competent at shooting bad guys in Fallout 4.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Thanks!
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even though I finished the game I still watch videos on it and it STILL bugs me that the world is so dirty and uncleaned after 200 years. Im hoping for a new Fallout game set right after the bombs fell. It would fit the world is destroyed and it could so you gathering a group and starting your own empire of dirt in the world. More a sim/rpg. Like Fallout mixed with Brotherhood of Steel.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new update with a nice fix... Fallout 4 adds autosaves upon exiting, including for Survival mode
Bethesda rolled out version 1.6 of Fallout 4 today, which delivers a few nice changes, but one in particular. After its introduction in beta, it's now live: the addition of exit saves. If you exit to the main menu while playing, a save file will be created. Upon loading that save, the file will be deleted. The key benefit is for those players using Survival mode, as prior to the update they would have had to find a bed to sleep in before being able to save and quit their game.

While I respect the idea of making Survival mode a more challenging experience, I've never liked that sleep-to-save requirement. It's just not practical. Having no choice but to find an in-game bed can be a real inconvenience if you need to quit playing at a particular moment, or even if you simply want to quit. With the patch, you can now quit the game without losing all the progress from the last bed you visited. And you can't use it as a crutch, either: once you load it, the save vanishes, so you won't be able to continually reload from that point. It's more practical but doesn't allow you to simply reload repeatedly if you die. It feels like a somewhat decent compromise.

Other changes include new icons for the Workshop mode that indicate where you can find items that are part of the add-on DLC. Though the Workshop menu is still poorly arranged, at least now you can find new items more quickly. Also, Codsworth has learned 300 more player names, so if you've been disappointed he never addressed you as "Sir Humplebutt" you might have another try.

The full patch notes are below, and include my favorite item: "Dead settlers can no longer be commanded or assigned to supply lines." Lazy dead settlers.
New features
  • ExitSave - Exiting to the Main Menu will create an ExitSave. During next play session, the ExitSave will delete itself after you load it. The Existsave works in all difficulty levels including Survival.
  • New Add On specific icons in Workshop mode
  • More than 300 new player names added to Codsworth's vocabulary
  • Support for upcoming Add Ons
Fixes
  • General stability and performance improvements 
  • Fixed a crash related to targeting an enemy weapon while in VATS
  • Fixed an issue where a Companion would become stuck walking and unable to run
  • Fixed issue in "Mankind Redefined" to prevent the player from getting stuck in elevators while in Mass Fusion Building
  • In "Boston After Dark" quest now completes properly when waiting for Old Man Stockton
  • Fixed occasional issue where player would become permanently invisible
  • Dead settlers can no longer be commanded or assigned to supply lines
  • Fixed issue where deleting saved games would cause other saves to disappear
  • Fixed occasional issues with activating mods that did not come from Bethesda.net
  • Minor bug fixes and optimizations to Mods load order and browsing
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fantastic! I'm not planning on playing again until all the DLC is out, but the bed save only requirement was the one thing that kept me from considering survival mode.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I had no idea you could assign dead settlers to tasks or assign them to supply lines.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Bad Demographic wrote:I had no idea you could assign dead settlers to tasks or assign them to supply lines.
Those were by definition dead end jobs.