[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

Re: [Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

Post by baelthazar »

TheMix wrote:I'd offer to let you come over to put mine together when it shows up. Oh, and read through the instructions so you could teach it to me.

But Ohio is a bit far away. Sorry. :)
Well, I would actually enjoy this. I'm always the guy who teaches the gaming group the rules, so I am used to that role. At this point, I really just want to see the set of stuff in SoB.

I was also hoping to get my copy before SmooveB.... :P
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Got my shipping notice yesterday, will allegedly be here Wednesday.
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Looks like I'm last to get asked to the Prom. :cry:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:I was also hoping to get my copy before SmooveB.... :P
Hey, I didn't actually get it yet - and anything can happen between now and Thursday...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Anyone hear from Hep and did he get his copies?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote:Anyone hear from Hep and did he get his copies?
Nope. He still hasn't gotten his shipping notification yet.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

So is this a good game? I saw the demo's at GenCon, and it really got my interest but I figured I would wait and see how the game play was from people I trust.

But so far most of the people that I go to for their opinion don't seem to even have received the game yet.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Mine is due to show up today. I'm going to open it up and give the rules a read tonight after scouts (where, ironically, I'm going to start teaching Game Design Merit Badge.) Depending on how things work out this weekend, if I have enough time to get figs assembled, I may get in a 2 or 3 player game by next week.

Over on BGG, the reviews are pretty positive. I'm really excited.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Wait. There's a Game Design merit badge now?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Chaz wrote:Wait. There's a Game Design merit badge now?
Yeah. Was just created last year. And it's actually pretty hardcore. In addition to learning about gaming (and they use a really broad definition of gaming...it can be board games, pen and paper RPGs, video or computer games) they have to come up with a game design of their own, build a prototype of the game, and do a blind playtest with people that have never seen it before.

I'm going to be teaching general gaming concepts for the next couple of weeks, and then in early December they're having a lock in where the theme is going to be boardgames, and I'll bring out a bunch of my collection for them to play.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, I just went and took a look at the current badge list. There are...quite a few more than there were when I was a scout.

Kinda sad that there's still one called "Indian Lore." Also was mildly amused/sad/unsurprised to see the bold, italics bit about bringing someone else with you to meet the badge counselor, and never meet with them alone.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
RMC

Post by RMC »

When I was in scouts I got the Dairy Farm Badge. Do they still have that?

And thanks for the insight, I am putting it on my Christmas list of things no one in my family will understand and not buy for me. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Got mine yesterday. Opened the boxes last night. Everything appears to be intact. Apparently my UPS driver was nicer.

Have not started reading the rules or putting things together.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The dearly departed Hepcat still doesn't have his shipping notice yet.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nice photo. I tried taking one yesterday, but the lighting was terrible. So I didn't post it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Now we wait for "Wave 2".
-mf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hmm. There was no Outlaw mini in my set, just the cards. Is that going to come along later? I checked through all of the packing, didn't see one loose in the box. Guess I better go investigate. I'll be back!

EDIT: Yep. No mini.
* Kickstarter Exclusive Outlaw Hero card but no mini
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Mine had a hand-written note on the packing list saying that mini would be in Wave 2.
-mf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Mine had a hand-written note on the packing list saying that mini would be in Wave 2.
I saw that note, I thought that was just referring to all of the additional minis. But now I get it.

I'm a little slow sometimes... :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Boxes are here and they are absurdly heavy. I'm going to pull everything apart tonight and assess the situation, but I really want to stop collecting games and start playing them. I'm hoping I can get the figures together relatively fast and I might actually explore washes for the various monsters rather than try to assembly-line paint them like I'm doing for Myth. Either way, just based on box weight it certainly feels like there's some potential here. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm about halfway through the rule book. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am so damn jealous! Meanwhile, I sit here no closer to understanding when mine will ship.

Hopefully you guys enjoy the game as I am excited to finally play it. Any thoughts on what you will use to put together the models? I planned to use Loctite Gel, unless you model-gurus have a better idea. For Super Dungeon Explore, I about killed myself trying to use Testor's Plastic Glue, given it takes hours to actually set and the models did not want to hold together.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was originally going to use Testor's (or equivalent), but the more I read the more it sounds like it leaves them rather fragile. While the bond is strong, there's apparently no flex in them. I have a crazy glue gel I was going to try, but I'm not settled on anything. The one thing I saw on BGG was that the assembled models have tons of gaps in the joints which means I might need to invest in some of that Green Stuff and finally experiment with how it all works.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:I was originally going to use Testor's (or equivalent), but the more I read the more it sounds like it leaves them rather fragile. While the bond is strong, there's apparently no flex in them. I have a crazy glue gel I was going to try, but I'm not settled on anything. The one thing I saw on BGG was that the assembled models have tons of gaps in the joints which means I might need to invest in some of that Green Stuff and finally experiment with how it all works.
Ugh, I had not heard about the gap issue, which is highly disappointing. I intend to paint the minis (well, or try to slowly make my way through the boxes), so the Green Stuff may be necessary to get good, clean figures.

Well... I would do all of those things, if I would ever get the damn game.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was assuming that I would use standard model cement, but if folks are having issues with it, I will probably go superglue route. Interesting that folks were saying that the model cement bond was fragile, I always thought that standard polystyrene glue was one of the strongest bonds with models.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, it is the strongest bond because it apparently melts the plastic together. But the bond isn't good at resisting shearing or twisting -- like if you drop them.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote:I was assuming that I would use standard model cement, but if folks are having issues with it, I will probably go superglue route. Interesting that folks were saying that the model cement bond was fragile, I always thought that standard polystyrene glue was one of the strongest bonds with models.
Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, it is the strongest bond because it apparently melts the plastic together. But the bond isn't good at resisting shearing or twisting -- like if you drop them.
I have heard both of these things said about Polystyrene glue, but anecdotally have never found them accurate. I used to do 4H models back in the day, and that glue was so slow drying and still allowed for easy separation of parts when bonded. Like Smoove said, the bond seems fairly brittle, which makes it undesirable for models that you are going to toss in a box and have shift around.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After looking at the contents, my buddy offered to bring his lamination machine over so we can seal up the large cards and reference sheets. I still need to figure out my plan for card sleeves, but I might just go with what we're doing for the Pathfinder Card game and sleeve cards in your hand as a way to minimize wear and tear. I might poke around a bit with some of the figures this weekend and see what I can figure out for assembly and then do some research on the washes. If everything works out, this might hit the table next week...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:After looking at the contents, my buddy offered to bring his lamination machine over so we can seal up the large cards and reference sheets. I still need to figure out my plan for card sleeves, but I might just go with what we're doing for the Pathfinder Card game and sleeve cards in your hand as a way to minimize wear and tear. I might poke around a bit with some of the figures this weekend and see what I can figure out for assembly and then do some research on the washes. If everything works out, this might hit the table next week...
I'm going to start working on fig assembly this weekend, hopefully have everything assembled and primed by the time the weekend is out. A lot depends on if Tom can get a hall pass to go to WhatKahn this weekend.

Trying to decide if I want to go the expensive route and use Army Builder primers for the base colors on the big figs or not...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Well, at least my BGG user-created Brimstone bank notes arrived from Printer Studio. I'd hate to think the game would show up and I'd be floundering about wondering what I should use for money.
I just ordered a set of these as well. Meant to order them a few weeks ago.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So...

I didn't pay that much attention the "requires assembly". :oops:

I thought that meant clipping the figures to the bases. I didn't realize that it meant gluing arms and legs on.

As a neophyte, what should I be using for glue? I do have some super glue in the house, but can go get something else if necessary. It is very unlikely that I'll ever paint, but I do see that I'll need to some light filing/smoothing and definitely gluing.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Super glue will hold (most likely), but in practice it's not easy to work with. Get yourself something like Loctite, which is a gel and more forgiving for your applications. If you look on that page, there's also another gel substance by Gorilla Glue, though I don't have any experience with it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

TheMix,

I intend to use this:

I have heard good things about Loctite. The Krazy Glue/Super Glue I used for Super Dungeon Explore was quite nice and the bond forms rather quickly (which is good when you can't leave these guys out for long periods of time due to a cat). As a newbie, I would steer away from the Testor's glue, for the reasons I said above.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I also picked up one of these cutters to help me remove the figures and bits. If you haven't watched the assembly videos yet, head over to Youtube.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Thanks!!!

Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I used to use a super glue quick set back in my lead mini days. It was a godsend with slow setting glue.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:I also picked up one of these cutters to help me remove the figures and bits. If you haven't watched the assembly videos yet, head over to Youtube.
I got a similar pair of these (different brand). I have heard they are basically necessary for this project, unless you want to spend a lot of time with an exacto knife.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Maybe someone experienced with a knife could hack them off, but I'm all about working smarter. The only thing I don't know yet is any type of filing or sanding will be needed, but I'm hoping the clippers minimize the chances.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

In other news, I'm %$@#ing fed up with waiting for this shit.