1%
Gangnam
9%

Total votes: 76

hepcat

Re: [Pizza Wars 2013] Chicago style vs New York style

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am
Sure they do. For both types of pizza at issue here (simplifying to NY style and Chicago style deep dish pizza), you've got a crust layer that is topped with sauce, cheese, and some level of meat and/or vegetable. They're then baked in an oven. We're talking the difference between a soft shelled taco and a hard shelled taco here, not the difference between a taco and a tostada.

[edit]And in your ziti example, they're both still ziti. One is baked ziti, and one is sauced ziti. Just like one is NY style pizza, and one is Chicago style deep dish pizza.[/edit]
You are surprisingly knowledgeable and passionate about Italian food. :D
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 pm
Sure they do. For both types of pizza at issue here (simplifying to NY style and Chicago style deep dish pizza), you've got a crust layer that is topped with sauce, cheese, and some level of meat and/or vegetable. They're then baked in an oven. We're talking the difference between a soft shelled taco and a hard shelled taco here, not the difference between a taco and a tostada.

[edit]And in your ziti example, they're both still ziti. One is baked ziti, and one is sauced ziti. Just like one is NY style pizza, and one is Chicago style deep dish pizza.[/edit]
It's my Irish/English/Scottish/Swedish/Danish heritage.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am While while most pizza is fine, this is how God intended for pizza to be made. This is why the Jet 10 is such a treat. It has it all but peppercino.

it is a perfect blend of flavors and textures. A veritable acid trip orgasm for my mouth. Crunchy and chewey, meat and vegatable and condiment and bread and grease all fighting for supremacy.

This is what I want to see when I open a pizza box:

Enlarge Image

I can imagine the smell right now. It's heaven.

:pray:
LM - Agreed, the Jet 10 is truly a marvel. :wub: I hadn't had Jet's Pizza in a few years (only once since I moved back to Denver from the DFW area). Denver's first Jet's Pizza opened a couple of years back and I went the first week. I just checked, and there are four now! One is less than 3 miles from my house. - and I think I will have a Jet 10 for dinner tonight!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 pm

It's my Irish/English/Scottish/Swedish/Danish heritage.
Ah, then I should be quizzing you about good sushi restaurants around my neighborhood!
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have extensive thoughts on Indian cuisine.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am

This is what I want to see when I open a pizza box:

Enlarge Image

I can imagine the smell right now. It's heaven.

:pray:
Oh man, that looks good! Unfortunately, I know where a Jet's is located so now I'm doomed to order and eat that whole thing.
Is there a "fat" emoji? :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:52 pm I have extensive thoughts on Indian cuisine.
I live only about a mile from Devon. I can get Butter Chicken whenever the mood hits me. And the mood hits me a lot. It's probably my favorite cuisine.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

While I could eat a large 10 in one evening, I'm "pretty good" about portion control and it takes three sittings to enjoy the whole thing (It's damned taste cold from the fridge or lightly re-heated in the oven if you much eat warm. No microwave allowed)

I would never dare to try eating and Extra Large in one sitting. When my heart wan't all "Fuck you!" I would drop my $22 on an extra large 10 and have six good meals over two days of Dinner-Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner-Breakfast-Lunch and still be happy to eat more.

Now, the large 10 (and in fact all pizza) is an exceedingly rare $18 treat because I need a treat. But God is it a treat, so worth my $18.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:52 pm I have extensive thoughts on Indian cuisine.
I've had chicken from an Indian Place in Ann Arbor that wasn't too bad. It may have been that I was simply overjoyed they had chicken. Literally, every one I know from India is vegetarian and I can't stand curry that permeates the vast majority of the food they eat.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 pm Literally, every one I know from India is vegetarian and I can't stand curry that permeates the vast majority of the food they eat.
I had a contract job once and group of Indians invited me out for a buffet lunch. I declined using your thesis, but the girl that invited me assured me there would be many foods without curry and dishes with non-cow meat and offered to pay my tab if I was dissatisfied with the selection. She did not have to pay my tab.

That was...13 years ago? I've been to an Indian restaurant exactly once since (and I wasn't happy with that one, which has since closed). Like Mexican food, it's just something I never have a hankering for, so I'm never motivated to seek out that sort of restaurant.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The smell of curry makes my stomach heave. Indian restaurants need a one-block no-go buffer zone.

Oddly, I like cumin just fine.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm I'm just poking the bear here. TBH, I have a rather comprehensive book about the history of pizza and its many forms, including Chicago style - American Pie. The same author wrote the definitive bread baking book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice.
Thanks for the link, I am a big Reinhart fan and I didn't know he wrote this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Coincidentally a coworker brought in some deep fried indian pastry like thing with a potato insides for lunch today. She told me the name. It started with an S. It was fantastic.

google says!

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/ ... d-pastries

It looked like the one on the upper right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, samosas. Many have died at my hands.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had a giant one once that was about the size of a cannon ball but hundreds of times more dense.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm I had a giant one once that was about the size of a cannon ball but hundreds of times more dense.
That's what I had! (In a more literal sense it was larger than a baseball but not quite as large as softball)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm The smell of curry makes my stomach heave. Indian restaurants need a one-block no-go buffer zone.
On my tongue, Thai curry = yum and Indian curry = yuck :mrgreen:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I had samosas last night. I usually prefer lamb samosas, but the place we ordered from does better with the potato ones, so that's what I went for. I also ordered the "Vegetarian Lamb", which for some reason my vegetarian wife won't eat. I'm not sure if they're drawing a distinction between vegetarian and carnivorous lambs or what, but it's tasty with potatoes, chickpeas, and mushrooms in a moderate sauce. There may have also been some onion pakora and garlic naan in the mix (plus my wife's vegetable marsala). I always eat way too much when we order Indian.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 pm I had samosas last night. I usually prefer lamb samosas, but the place we ordered from does better with the potato ones, so that's what I went for. I also ordered the "Vegetarian Lamb", which for some reason my vegetarian wife won't eat. I'm not sure if they're drawing a distinction between vegetarian and carnivorous lambs or what, but it's tasty with potatoes, chickpeas, and mushrooms in a moderate sauce. There may have also been some onion pakora and garlic naan in the mix (plus my wife's vegetable marsala). I always eat way too much when we order Indian.
None of that registers as words to me. After yesterday, samosas now means: I hd a fried to pastry with puffy and lightly spiced potato innards that were of the approximate texture of sort bought stuffing substitute. Fried food with a hint of spice. Mmmm...
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 pm Image

Looks like crap, tastes like heaven.
The vote in this thread used to be tied, and then I posted this picture.

I regret nothing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I regret nothing.
I'd try it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

so would I. my eyes may say no, but my stomach says gimme.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My eyes say "that's a whlole lotta cheese and ground meat of some sort" and my stomach says "Oh hell yeah, pass it down!" My brain naturally says,

Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I regret nothing.
Looks very close to the Pizza I was fondly longing for from Cassidy's RIP, albeit less nicely rounded. :mrgreen:
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Just here to report that I did, in fact, buy a Jet10 pizza on Thursday. I enjoyed it all weekend.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is no one way to Pizza but if there was one way to Pizza Jet 10 would be pretty close IMO.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm going to throw in here that Pieology, Mod Pizza, and Blaze isn't pizza. I'm not sure if they are national, but the trend here in the West Coast is having these stores cook pizzas in 5 minutes. It's essentially pizza sauce, toppings on a tortilla and cooked in a pizza oven. It takes 5 minutes because the bread is a TORTILLA.

God I hate those places.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We have a Mod Pizza near my office. I really hate that place. It's to pizza what Noodles and Company is to noodles.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never heard of jet pizza but theres one about 30 miles from me I might try sometime.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have yet to try one of Neapolitan 5 minute while you are in line fire oven thin personal pizza places. We had one (1000 Degrees) open about five miles from my work. They were crazy crowded and then >poof< they were out of business. I always want to try new pizza at least once but this trend seems to have come and gone rather quickly around here and somehow I totally missed out. Intenet says Blaze is still around if I'm willing to drive to Novi or Ann Arbor. I'm not. So I lose.
mori

Post by mori »

We have Punch Pizza doing the Neopolitan pizza around here. Prosciutto on pizza? Yes please. It only takes a few minutes in their ovens to cook a pizza. I wish they would leave it in a little longer to get the crust crispy, but I believe they expect the customer to fold it like New York style.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We have a couple of these joints here and while I have frequented one of them enough to fill two entire punch cards in the past year or so, I SAY MEH!

The crust is shit. They use a hydraulic press to "shape" the dough. There's no love in that.

Half the time I go there somebody ahead of me orders gluten-free. This dough comes out of the freezer. There's no love in that.

They have a lunch special, $9.99 Anything On A Pizza! I sit and wait for my to-go order and I JUDGE everybody behind me and their garbage pies they create when they have no vision or self-control and build a pizza like they build a Subway sandwich.

Hate the place, will visit again and soon. 3/8 tentacles.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm
Hate the place, will visit again and soon.
:lol:

I can't speak for how they work in a five minute firey thin crust pizza place but bite your tongue if you are going to mention garbage pizza with anything but sheer reverence. Garbage pizzas have always rated among the best of the best if their ingredients are even fair... Unless they insist Garbage includes one of the following: Tomato slices, fish, pineapple, green olives. Those are shit pizza toppings no matter their quality and ruin that which they touch. If someone persists that they are garbage pizza toppings (no substitution) they've ruined the sanctity of all holy pizzadom and are banished from Garbage Pizza Nirvana. (It's crazy that tomatoes ruin pizza but by Pancake, it's true)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Garbage pizzas are (almost always) pizzas with more than three toppings. You may still additionally have extra cheese on a pizza without using one of the three allowed topping slots.

Ready for Shots Fired?

The Jet's 10...that's a garbage pizza...

BOOOOM!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am The Jet's 10...that's a garbage pizza...
My point exactly. You fired the shot already
I JUDGE everybody behind me and their garbage pies
IT IS YOU WHO SHALL BE JUDGED.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jet 10:
  1. Pizza sauce
  2. premium mozzarella
  3. pepperoni
  4. ham
  5. hamburger
  6. Italian sausage
  7. bacon
  8. mushrooms
  9. onions
  10. green peppers
  11. black olives
First off, it goes to 11 based on their listing.

1-3: I'm with you.
4-5: ambivalent.
6-7: the real winners.
8-9: these need to be 86ed.
10-11: reasonable, but the wife won't care about the olives.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

1,2,3,6 yes.
8 - tolerable
The rest disgust me if they are anywhere in the same room as a pizza.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 am
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am The Jet's 10...that's a garbage pizza...
My point exactly. You fired the shot already
I JUDGE everybody behind me and their garbage pies
IT IS YOU WHO SHALL BE JUDGED.

Enlarge Image
Alright then.

Here's another thing. Raw vegetables on pizzas are for people who are Enemies of Quality and/or Low Quality Individuals. They are not the same thing nor mutually exclusive.

If you put mushrooms on a pizza without sauteing them first you are an Enemy of Quality. If you put canned mushrooms on a pizza you are a Low Quality Individual.

Where on the spectrum would you say you lie?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I would probably like the Jet 10 even better if I eliminated the shrooms and substituted green chilies for the bell peppers.. I may have to try that next time, if they have the green chilies
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm Where on the spectrum would you say you lie?
I say you never had Mr Pizza in Ypsi's vegatable pizza. A 24" post bar time veggie from Herr Pie in DepotTown at 02:30 on Saturday listening motown and soulful underground country until the sun came up was a standing tradition for almost two years. It has minced onion, green pepper, and mushrooms as well as slice black olives it was awesome.

Baked out of our gords with trains rattling the apartment going and back and forth from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-t2h5qeEo4

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSiASsUIs

and lovin life like in all its simplicity.

Mushrooms, slimy from a can are a fine fine pizza topping as can there be vegetables on the raw.

Enlarge Image
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That really does sound like a great time in your life and I value some memories very much like those. PizzaPapalis used to be our jam after going to Saint Andrew's for a show.

Food is tied to so many emotions and memories and always leaves an imprint on people. There is no better way to truly meet somebody than to break bread with them.

It's just too bad the people you hung out with steered you so wrong. Only a savage would order a pizza over 18", I'm sorry...