Ukraine

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 54253
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, outrageous taxes on everything

Re: Ukraine

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:10 pm Don't discount the possibility that he was "fragged" too lightly.
He should have been fragged harder???!!
:wink:


Possible but this happened at the Naval College.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 11855
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Ukraine

Post by Max Peck »

Speaking of the Russian navy, there are reports that Ukraine has struck the Russian naval port in Novorossiysk with one of their surface drones.

Ukraine’s Maritime Drone Strikes Again: Reports Indicate Attack On Novorossiysk
Ukraine’s maritime drones can now reach a Russian Navy base until now regarded as safe. When the drones (USVs) were used to attack Sevastopol on October 29 they resulted in a major shift in Russian Navy operations. The threat is regarded as so serious that new defenses were added in Sevastopol. And the Russian Navy, which early in the war dominated the Black Sea, barely leaves port. Now this threat has reached another major Russian Navy base at Novorossiysk.

Local Russian sources have reported that a Ukrainian ‘naval drone’ has struck the Sheskharis oil terminal in Novorossiysk at night. This is strategically important.

Novorossiysk is a major naval base and oil terminal on Russia’s Black Sea coast. At 420 miles (675 km) from Odesa, it is much further from Ukrainian held territory than Sevastopol. It has until now been regarded as out of range of Ukrainian attacks.

We have not yet been able to independent verify all of the details of the attack. However, the story has been reported in multiple local sources and a video has been shared. There are also reports that a spokesperson for the Russian oil company Transneft has denied the attack. And some Russian reports have now been removed. Despite this, Naval News regards it as plausible and credible and, at this time, believes that it did occur.
There's a discussion of the above article here:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
User avatar
waitingtoconnect
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 am

Re: Ukraine

Post by waitingtoconnect »

How long until Hunter Biden means the house republicans block all further weapons to Ukraine I wonder.
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 7367
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Ukraine

Post by gbasden »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:33 am How long until Hunter Biden means the house republicans block all further weapons to Ukraine I wonder.
I certainly hope that the administration and congress accelerate weapons delivery to Ukraine while they have a majority.
User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Ukraine

Post by Carpet_pissr »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:33 am How long until Hunter Biden means the house republicans block all further weapons to Ukraine I wonder.
As soon as they possibly can I imagine.
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 41458
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kraken »

It's costing peanuts for the US to defeat Russia.
Altogether, the Biden administration received Congressional approval for $40bn in aid for Ukraine for 2022 and has requested an additional $37.7bn for 2022. More than half of this aid has been earmarked for defense.  

These sums pale into insignificance when set against a total US defense budget of $715bn for 2022. The assistance represents 5.6% of total US defense spending. ... US spending of 5.6% of its defense budget to destroy nearly half of Russia’s conventional military capability seems like an absolutely incredible investment. If we divide out the US defense budget to the threats it faces, Russia would perhaps be of the order of $100bn-150bn in spend-to-threat. So spending just $40bn a year, erodes a threat value of $100-150bn, a two-to-three time return.
...
Second, the war has served to destroy the myth that Russian military technology is somehow comparable to that of the US and West. Remember that Ukraine is using only upgraded second generation US technology but is consistently beating whatever Russia’s military can deploy. ... Note also that the war is also pushing NATO partners to quickly increase spending to the 2% of GDP and above target. Given the US’ technological advantage in defense equipment, a sizeable share of this additional military outlay will be spent on US equipment. 
...
Third, the revelation that Russia’s defense industry is something of a Potemkin village also generates other strategic and diplomatic wins for the US.
...
Fourth, helping Ukraine beat Russia surely also sends a powerful signal to China that the US and its allies are strong and determined when challenged on issues of core importance.
...
Fifth, the war in Ukraine is encouraging and accelerating the energy transition in Europe, but also Europe’s diversification away from Russian energy.
For perspective, how much did the US spend to lose wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, countries that (while they did pose some threats) were never geopolitical rivals?
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 77625
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would be perfectly fine for China and Russia to be left to their own end of the world until they want to play nicely with others.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 41458
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kraken »

If only they would stay there.
User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 20923
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Ukraine

Post by Defiant »

malchior
Posts: 22121
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by malchior »

It doesn't even look like him so I actually thought perhaps it was for another official. It also doesn't escape my notice that this is in english. It's aimed at white supremacists *here* in the western world and probably where it has the most impact - in the United States.
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 39797
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ukraine

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 am It doesn't even look like him so I actually thought perhaps it was for another official. It also doesn't escape my notice that this is in english. It's aimed at white supremacists *here* in the western world and probably where it has the most impact - in the United States.
The post is from the Russian embassy in the UK, which is probably why it is in English. But yes, possibly aimed at white supremacists in the west. I am also curious if there are any posts like this from other Russian embassies.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior
Posts: 22121
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:43 am
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 am It doesn't even look like him so I actually thought perhaps it was for another official. It also doesn't escape my notice that this is in english. It's aimed at white supremacists *here* in the western world and probably where it has the most impact - in the United States.
The post is from the Russian embassy in the UK, which is probably why it is in English.
This gets it backwards. They were targeting white supremacists in the west and chose the UK to release it.
But yes, possibly aimed at white supremacists in the west. I am also curious if there are any posts like this from other Russian embassies.
I can't see any other reason other than to target white supremacists. It isn't going to influence policy makers in the UK. Like at all.
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 39797
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ukraine

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:43 am
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 am It doesn't even look like him so I actually thought perhaps it was for another official. It also doesn't escape my notice that this is in english. It's aimed at white supremacists *here* in the western world and probably where it has the most impact - in the United States.
The post is from the Russian embassy in the UK, which is probably why it is in English.
This gets it backwards. They were targeting white supremacists in the west and chose the UK to release it.
But yes, possibly aimed at white supremacists in the west. I am also curious if there are any posts like this from other Russian embassies.
I can't see any other reason other than to target white supremacists. It isn't going to influence policy makers in the UK. Like at all.
Do we know how centralized the structure is for Russian embassies? Obviously no one's going to want to post anything that displeases Moscow, but I'm not sure how much of the communications day to day in an embassy are driven by officials in Moscow vs. people in the embassies.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior
Posts: 22121
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:53 amDo we know how centralized the structure is for Russian embassies? Obviously no one's going to want to post anything that displeases Moscow, but I'm not sure how much of the communications day to day in an embassy are driven by officials in Moscow vs. people in the embassies.
It's possible someone local did it but this smells like something their military propagandists thought up.
User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 20923
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Ukraine

Post by Defiant »

Well, I looked at the twitter accounts for the Russian embassy to the US, France and Netherlands (assuming they're the genuine accounts) and didn't see a similar meme there.
User avatar
Kurth
Posts: 5065
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 am
Location: Portland

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:53 am I would be perfectly fine for China and Russia to be left to their own end of the world until they want to play nicely with others.
On behalf of the global economy, can I point out that it might not be in anyone’s best interest to cut off 1.5B Chinese consumers?

But Russia? Who gives a fuck?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 77625
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:53 am I would be perfectly fine for China and Russia to be left to their own end of the world until they want to play nicely with others.
On behalf of the global economy, can I point out that it might not be in anyone’s best interest to cut off 1.5B Chinese consumers?
I'm fine selling them butter, but no guns.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
Kurth
Posts: 5065
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 am
Location: Portland

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:53 am I would be perfectly fine for China and Russia to be left to their own end of the world until they want to play nicely with others.
On behalf of the global economy, can I point out that it might not be in anyone’s best interest to cut off 1.5B Chinese consumers?
I'm fine selling them butter, but no guns.
I don’t believe we sell much in the way of guns to China. It’s the butter we want to keep on selling!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Ukraine

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm But Russia? Who gives a fuck?
An alarming number of GOP Congress members, and at least a handful of Fox News personalities.
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 77625
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:41 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:35 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:53 am I would be perfectly fine for China and Russia to be left to their own end of the world until they want to play nicely with others.
On behalf of the global economy, can I point out that it might not be in anyone’s best interest to cut off 1.5B Chinese consumers?
I'm fine selling them butter, but no guns.
I don’t believe we sell much in the way of guns to China. It’s the butter we want to keep on selling!
Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 39797
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ukraine

Post by El Guapo »

Also if we sell them tons of butter then they'll get just as overweight as us, limiting their ability to out-compete us.
Black Lives Matter.
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 68190
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:32 pm But Russia? Who gives a fuck?
An alarming number of GOP Congress members, and at least a handful of Fox News personalities.
Aye. Alarming but no longer surprising, if that's possible. Though some instances are surprising. I'm still trying to figure out why Shelby was part of the Russian Convoy on independence day 2018.
malchior
Posts: 22121
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by malchior »

Excellent. I think this is mostly for show but still it is inherently a moral action.

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 37796
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Ukraine

Post by Blackhawk »

"I propose designating the European Parliament as a sponsor of idiocy," Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova wrote on Telegram.
Wow, the Russians are really playing to their own tropes, aren't they?
________________________________________
"You can’t use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn’t use reason to get into." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 11855
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Ukraine

Post by Max Peck »

Starlink prices in Ukraine nearly double as mobile networks falter
The list prices of Starlink communications devices have nearly doubled in Ukraine, as mobile networks have started failing under Russia’s assault on the country’s electricity grid and increased demand for the SpaceX-manufactured satellite communication device.

Starlink terminals, which are made by Elon Musk-owned SpaceX, will increase in price to $700 for new Ukrainian consumers, according to the company’s website. This represents a rise from about $385 earlier this year, screenshots of past pricing data shared by users inside the country show.

The consumer cost of the monthly subscription to Starlink has fluctuated recently, dropping from about $100 to $60 on Ukraine’s Independence day on August 24 to “reflect local market conditions,” and will now rise to $75.

Prices have also soared in neighboring Poland, where many Ukrainians source Starlink to avoid problems with domestic mail delivery, but remained the same in Slovakia and most other European countries.

Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
User avatar
Kurth
Posts: 5065
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 am
Location: Portland

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:45 pm Starlink prices in Ukraine nearly double as mobile networks falter
The list prices of Starlink communications devices have nearly doubled in Ukraine, as mobile networks have started failing under Russia’s assault on the country’s electricity grid and increased demand for the SpaceX-manufactured satellite communication device.

Starlink terminals, which are made by Elon Musk-owned SpaceX, will increase in price to $700 for new Ukrainian consumers, according to the company’s website. This represents a rise from about $385 earlier this year, screenshots of past pricing data shared by users inside the country show.

The consumer cost of the monthly subscription to Starlink has fluctuated recently, dropping from about $100 to $60 on Ukraine’s Independence day on August 24 to “reflect local market conditions,” and will now rise to $75.

Prices have also soared in neighboring Poland, where many Ukrainians source Starlink to avoid problems with domestic mail delivery, but remained the same in Slovakia and most other European countries.

Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Apparently, Musk plans to put 12K Starlink satellites in orbit. Looking forward to watching him build that out only to have the government nationalize it when his increasingly erratic behavior makes his control of Starlink a national security threat.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 39797
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Ukraine

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:37 pm
Max Peck wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:45 pm Starlink prices in Ukraine nearly double as mobile networks falter
The list prices of Starlink communications devices have nearly doubled in Ukraine, as mobile networks have started failing under Russia’s assault on the country’s electricity grid and increased demand for the SpaceX-manufactured satellite communication device.

Starlink terminals, which are made by Elon Musk-owned SpaceX, will increase in price to $700 for new Ukrainian consumers, according to the company’s website. This represents a rise from about $385 earlier this year, screenshots of past pricing data shared by users inside the country show.

The consumer cost of the monthly subscription to Starlink has fluctuated recently, dropping from about $100 to $60 on Ukraine’s Independence day on August 24 to “reflect local market conditions,” and will now rise to $75.

Prices have also soared in neighboring Poland, where many Ukrainians source Starlink to avoid problems with domestic mail delivery, but remained the same in Slovakia and most other European countries.

Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Apparently, Musk plans to put 12K Starlink satellites in orbit. Looking forward to watching him build that out only to have the government nationalize it when his increasingly erratic behavior makes his control of Starlink a national security threat.
I hope that Biden has the stones to do that if and when necessary. I wouldn't rule out that he does...but I'm not totally sure. And if he does, not hard to imagine Musk getting a Trumpist judge to enjoin it for at least as long as it matters.

Of course, may well be in both Biden and Musk / Starlink's interests to come to an agreement on the pricing / Ukrainian access here, under partial threat of a nationalization.
Black Lives Matter.
User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 20923
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Ukraine

Post by Defiant »

Ukraine's embassy in Madrid received a parcel containing animal eyes on Friday, the latest in a series of similar "bloody packages" sent to its diplomatic missions across Europe, Ukrainian and Spanish officials said.
The bloody missives follow the reception of six letter bombs sent in the past week to addresses in Spain including Ukraine's embassy in Madrid, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and the U.S. Embassy to Madrid, prompting Spain to step up security.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/uk ... 022-12-02/
User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 59225
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Ukraine

Post by Daehawk »

I wish Mush would get on one of his rockets and go be the first human to land on the surface of the sun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 48265
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Ukraine

Post by hepcat »

He's smart though. He'd go at night.
2000 FOOLS
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 77625
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Isgrimnur »

Get out of my head.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 19927
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Ukraine

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:02 pm He's smart though. He'd go at night.
I... that...

:lol:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 27756
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Ukraine

Post by Holman »


Meanwhile in Russia: in all seriousness, pundits and experts on Russian state TV argue whether President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky is the Antichrist or just a small demon.
Modernity is going great.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 9522
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:50 pm Modernity is going great.
a few years back i worked with an international group of coworkers and one time i mentioned my mom's upcoming liver transplant surgery. the Russian guy said i needed to go to this certain shrine of the Virgin Mary in the area and pray there, and my mom would be 'instantly' healed. all the other people at the table (mostly Islamic and Hindu) just kept absolutely silent while this guy went on and on about this for an uncomfortably long time.

i'm going to a Russian Orthodox church service on the eastside tomorrow at the insistence of a friend of mine - i'm going to be treating it as an anthropological excursion for my own sanity. i can't wait to see what kind of crazy i encounter there...
User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 68190
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Ukraine

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 am i'm going to a Russian Orthodox church service on the eastside tomorrow at the insistence of a friend of mine - i'm going to be treating it as an anthropological excursion for my own sanity. i can't wait to see what kind of crazy i encounter there...
:pop:
User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 51604
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Ukraine

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 am i'm going to a Russian Orthodox church service on the eastside tomorrow at the insistence of a friend of mine - i'm going to be treating it as an anthropological excursion for my own sanity. i can't wait to see what kind of crazy i encounter there...
Incense and standing. So much of both.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 27756
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Ukraine

Post by Holman »

In Russia the Orthodox Church has been co-opted by Putin as a vehicle for Putinist Nationalism. Priests routinely pray for the destruction of Ukraine and call for believers to join the armed forces, etc.

I wonder to what degree this affects Russian Orthodox practice in the US. I assume that US-based bishops and priests still require confirmation from Moscow and take guidance from the Patriarch there.

Interestingly, there's even an American branch of Orthodoxy, although it is no more affiliated with the Russian church than are the Orthodox churches in, say, Ukraine or Poland. (Although the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople is often considered to be the representative of worldwide Orthodoxy, his authority is nothing like a Pope's.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
hitbyambulance
Posts: 9522
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Map Ref 47.6°N 122.35°W
Contact:

Re: Ukraine

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:02 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 am i'm going to a Russian Orthodox church service on the eastside tomorrow at the insistence of a friend of mine - i'm going to be treating it as an anthropological excursion for my own sanity. i can't wait to see what kind of crazy i encounter there...
:pop:
well, that was unexpected - i am not sure what denomination this place was. yes, lots of standing, but it seemed to be much more ... contemporary evangelical than anything (stage lighting, projectors, cheesy powerballad gospel rock band, passion-porn crucificixion dramatization on the video screens during communion with the vacuum-wrapped Blood & Flesh Product™ communion, etc). i think this was a branch of some Christian brand franchise, but for the life of me, i can't remember what this church was called... it WAS half in Russian, and the pastor (another giveaway) only spoke Russian during his spiel. (all lyrics were in English and Russian on the projectors, and it seemed there were a lot of Russian-speaking immigrants who barely spoke English. all the people i met were just fine in my initial round of introductions. i was speaking to one of the congregation afterwards who said this whole approach is taken widely in Europe and that it feels 'familiar' to the immigrants. can this be true? i thought this was most certainly an American thing. still, i hope my friend doesn't disown me when i tell her i do not want to go back.
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 27756
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Ukraine

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:40 am
LordMortis wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:02 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 am i'm going to a Russian Orthodox church service on the eastside tomorrow at the insistence of a friend of mine - i'm going to be treating it as an anthropological excursion for my own sanity. i can't wait to see what kind of crazy i encounter there...
:pop:
well, that was unexpected - i am not sure what denomination this place was. yes, lots of standing, but it seemed to be much more ... contemporary evangelical than anything (stage lighting, projectors, cheesy powerballad gospel rock band, passion-porn crucificixion dramatization on the video screens during communion with the vacuum-wrapped Blood & Flesh Product™ communion, etc). i think this was a branch of some Christian brand franchise, but for the life of me, i can't remember what this church was called... it WAS half in Russian, and the pastor (another giveaway) only spoke Russian during his spiel. (all lyrics were in English and Russian on the projectors, and it seemed there were a lot of Russian-speaking immigrants who barely spoke English.
Probably it wasn't a Russian Orthodox service. Those tend to be pretty traditional and ritually scripted. Maybe it was just another Evangelical megachurch, this one catering to Russian-speaking immigrants.

In my understanding, Orthodox worship includes music only of the traditional choir-and-organ variety. They'll have incense and chanting, but not projectors and gospel rock.
all the people i met were just fine in my initial round of introductions. i was speaking to one of the congregation afterwards who said this whole approach is taken widely in Europe and that it feels 'familiar' to the immigrants. can this be true? i thought this was most certainly an American thing. still, i hope my friend doesn't disown me when i tell her i do not want to go back.
It sounds like you're being proselytized. Watch your back.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
Kurth
Posts: 5065
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 am
Location: Portland

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kurth »

Meanwhile, Ukrainian Drones Hit 2 Military Bases Deep Within Russia.
KYIV, Ukraine — Ukraine executed its most brazen attack into Russian territory in the nine-month-old war on Monday, targeting two military bases hundreds of miles inside the country, using unmanned drones, according to the Russian Defense Ministry and a senior Ukrainian official.

The drones were launched from Ukrainian territory, and at least one of the strikes was made with the help of special forces close to the base who helped guide the drones to the target, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity to convey sensitive information.

The strikes signaled a new willingness by Kyiv to take the fight to bases in the heart of Russia, raising the stakes in the war, and demonstrated for the first time Ukraine’s ability to attack at such long distances. Shortly after the attacks on the bases, Russia sent a barrage of missiles streaking toward Ukrainian cities.
As if it weren't already real, shit's getting really real, now.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Black Lives Matter
Post Reply