Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Ukraine

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How is that dodgy?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:29 am How is that dodgy?
I edited quick but keep in mind this guy is (was!) Ukrainian. He was a streamer who basically styled himself as telling the truth about what Ukraine was really doing (aka Pro-Putin fan fiction) and self-appointed himself a leader in the occupied region. Putin legitimized him as an official. They made a big deal of him getting his Russian passport. Etc. He was pretty reviled so I won't be shocked to hear that either side killed him for one reason or another but I'd lean heavily into Ukraine partisan above all other causes. But also possible is Russian house cleaning.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another crazy rumor right now (heaping grains of salt) is that the Ukrainians are capturing hundreds of Russian soldiers dressed up as civilians in villages north and east of Kherson city. Are they deserters? Clumsy infiltrators? It seems like the locals weren't having it and started turning them in.

Edit: Found some corroboration

Edit 2: Thinking it through these might be folks that simply got left behind too - the Russians are calling this a strategic withdrawal but the Ukrainians essentially harried them so much it turned into a rout much like what happened in the east recently as well. That might be why last night Biden seemingly hardened on Zelensky's position (no sleep until Crimea). Well maybe not Crimea (which might be a stretch) but he did say Putin out of Ukraine and we officially recognize Crimea as part of Ukraine still.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Was he thrown from the vehicle? I'd score that as a variant of window-adjacent demise.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:06 am Was he thrown from the vehicle? I'd score that as a variant of window-adjacent demise.
No. You don't have to worry about being ejected from a vehicle when you're safely duck-taped to the seat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL to both posts above. :clap:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Super nice to see.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder where they kept that massive flag hidden during the Russian occupation? That's not something you whip up with poster paint and a pillow case.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sure we're not hearing everything, and probably some war crimes will come out, but I'm surprised that we're not seeing a bloody housecleaning in newly liberated areas.

Wars in Eastern Europe usually aren't very tolerant of collaborators.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Russia has been telling civilians to evacuate from Kherson for several weeks now. I'd expect that most if not all open collaborators there did so.

The Kharkiv counteroffensive was relatively unexpected and rapid, so if there was a reckoning with collaborators, that's where I'd expect to hear about it.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I cried at this:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Likewise. Didn't even take 9 seconds.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

My god that's beautiful. Thanks for sharing Grifman.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:47 pm I wonder where they kept that massive flag hidden during the Russian occupation? That's not something you whip up with poster paint and a pillow case.
“In a video the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine posted, one woman in Kherson digs up a Ukrainian flag buried under paving slabs that appears to have been hidden when Putin's troops seized the city.“
Not the same flag, but it speaks to the resourcefulness and pride/patriotism of the people under duress.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There's another video making the rounds that shows a woman that had put a Ukrainian flag into a jar and buried it to hide it from the Russians.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also disgusting

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It surprises me Russia doesn't know his whereabouts and can't get a missile on him.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC is reporting AP is reporting Russian missile went into Poland. 2 are dead.

Verification still pending.

Edit: Apparently this reported 9 hours ago...

https://www.abqjournal.com/2549717/zele ... rshed.html
US official: Russian missiles crossed into Poland, killing 2

By Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, November 15th, 2022 at 2:40AM
DEVELOPING... Story will be updated as new information can be verified. Updated 4 times

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — A senior U.S. intelligence official says Russian missiles crossed into NATO member Poland, killing two people.

Polish government spokesman Piotr Mueller did not immediately confirm the information, but said top leaders were holding an emergency meeting due to a “crisis situation.”

Polish media reported that two people died Tuesday afternoon after a projectile struck an area where grain was drying in Przewodów, a Polish village near the border with Ukraine.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumor that a Russian missile overshot and killed a few people in Poland. Then this.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well that's not great. The problem with a reckless war driven by incompetents. You always risk escalation. I'm sure the morons will start rambling again about negotiating again.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's one way to get Polish F16s into Ukrainian air space...
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not good. Hopefully Putin’s smart enough to apologize immediately.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

At a minimum, I suspect that a Patriot missile battery might be deployed at the Polish border. Now I'd be interested in how far into Ukrainian territory can a Patriot battery cover and if the rules of engagement might err on the side of intercepting a missile that's flying in the general direction of Poland, even it's in Ukrainian territory. :think:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:17 pm Not good. Hopefully Putin’s smart enough to apologize immediately.
Does "Sorry, but that wasn't one of our missiles" qualify as an apology?

There seems to be evidence that the missile as actually a Ukrainian S-300 SAM.

So what crashed in the village of Przewodów, Poland today?

With the cooperation of @blueboy1969
we analyzed the available photos of fragments and came to a clear conclusion that they belong to the 48D6 motor of the 5V55-series missile of the S-300 AD system- a Ukrainian one.

malchior

Post by malchior »

The investigation is underway but what is starting to come out is that the debris from a shootdown of a Russian cruise missile is what killed the folks in Poland. They are finding remnants of both devices and appears it wasn't a conventional explosion but a fire from the debris and unexpended fuel from both the missile and the rocket.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blaming the Ukrainian defenses? That seems a bit harsh. I mean, if Russia wasn't sending missiles, then Ukraine wouldn't be defending, right?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A blast that killed two people in Poland was most likely an accident caused by a Ukrainian defense missile hitting a Russian attack missile
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Who was responsible for having missiles in places where they could land on Poland?

Hold Ukraine responsible, and more Russian missiles will start being diverted to a via-Poland (or other third-party nation) flight plan.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW Poland's articulated position is the Russians are ultimately responsible for the incident.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It does matter that Russia (apparently) wasn't intentionally targeting a location in Poland. Indicates that Russia wasn't trying to escalate the war, and gives Poland less of a casus belli or reason to intervene more directly. But it doesn't make Russia's aggression against Ukraine any less intolerable, of course.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:13 pm Indicates that Russia wasn't trying to escalate the war, and gives Poland NATO less of a casus belli or reason to intervene more directly.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:16 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:13 pm Indicates that Russia wasn't trying to escalate the war, and gives Poland NATO less of a casus belli or reason to intervene more directly.
True.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:13 pmIndicates that Russia wasn't trying to escalate the war, and gives Poland less of a casus belli or reason to intervene more directly.
Zero parties want escalation so this circumstance was fortuitous because all parties didn't have to spend extraordinary effort to avoid escalation.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have a friend in the Navy who was in meetings all day at the Pentagon yesterday re: this incident. He sent me a text that simply said, "WW3 averted...for now." :D
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

WW3 ?

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:13 pm It does matter that Russia (apparently) wasn't intentionally targeting a location in Poland.
I never thought that they were - I figured it was a targeting error/malfunction rather than a deliberate attack. If Russia was going to deliberately attack Poland, it wouldn't be two missiles into farmland.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Another "suicide".
“Yes, Colonel Boyko committed suicide within the walls of the [naval college],” the unnamed sources were quoted saying.

Reporting by the Russian Telegram channel Baza described a very different series of events, however.

The channel, citing unspecified sources, said multiple gunshots were heard outside Boyko’s office just before the desk sergeant went in and found his body with five gunshot wounds to the chest.

No suicide note was found at the scene, according to Baza, and investigators found five shell casings and four Makarov pistols.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-colo ... 32020.html

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:46 pm

Proper Russians use a poke from an umbrella.
Domestically they use defenestration or 9x18 Makarov.
Trademark killing.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Don't discount the possibility that he was "fragged" too lightly.