Ukraine

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Ukraine

Post by Jaymann »

This goes back to our discussion of sentence structure. "Its" is correct, but it is not clear to which noun it is referring. Max Peck is one the right track, but he mistakenly uses "it's" which is short for "it is."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:53 am I took it to mean that it is accurate enough to impact within 1 meter of it's designated target.

Lol- :doh: ok, of course.

Within 1 meter of its target's position. Not within 1 meter of its position.

Sentence Diagraming FTW!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 am This goes back to our discussion of sentence structure.
yep
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 am Max Peck is one the right track, but he mistakenly uses "it's" which is short for "it is."
You are close... but you mistakenly use "one", which is a number...

:D :wink: :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

capable of striking a target within one metre of its position.
Unnecessarily confusing use of a pronoun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. "capable of striking within one meter of a target's position" would have been better.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 am This goes back to our discussion of sentence structure. "Its" is correct, but it is not clear to which noun it is referring. Max Peck is one the right track, but he mistakenly uses "it's" which is short for "it is."
The thing that kills me is that I am quite aware of the difference between the possessive (its) and contraction (it's) forms and yet I reflexively type whichever is incorrect in context unless I consciously focus on the correct spelling.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 am Yeah. "capable of striking within one meter of a target's position" would have been better.
Or just make it simple and standard. "Capable of accuracy within one meter."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 am This goes back to our discussion of sentence structure. "Its" is correct, but it is not clear to which noun it is referring. Max Peck is one the right track, but he mistakenly uses "it's" which is short for "it is."
The thing that kills me is that I am quite aware of the difference between the possessive (its) and contraction (it's) forms and yet I reflexively type whichever is incorrect in context unless I consciously focus on the correct spelling.
I automatically insert the apostrophe when typing and then stop and look at it for a second and check if it's appropriate. Unless I am in a hurry and then I am just wrong.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:00 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 am Yeah. "capable of striking within one meter of a target's position" would have been better.
Or just make it simple and standard. "Capable of accuracy within one meter."
+1 :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm
I once had a client try to correct my possessive its to the incorrect it's. So I asked him what's the contraction for it is?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's one spelling mistake I ignore when other people make it. We're all taught in school that possessives end in 's, and then we add in one word that's the opposite.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As a copy editor I'm incapable of ignoring it, but I do understand it for the reason you gave.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm Yeah We're all taught in school that possessives end in 's, and then we add in one word that's the opposite.
Ironically, you just showed us that there are more than one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:22 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm Yeah We're all taught in school that possessives end in 's, and then we add in one word that's the opposite.
This example, here? Or did you mean his example? Or maybe you mean LordMortis' example? Or perhaps we should just look at all of the Overlordses' examples to figure it out.

meh
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:52 am
This example, here? Or did you mean his example? Or maybe you mean LordMortis' example? Or perhaps we should just look at all of the Overlordses' examples to figure it out.

meh
BH was saying that "it" is the one word that doesn't use 's for a possessive. But in writing that sentence, he showed us that "that" is also another word.

it's
that's
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am

meh
BH was saying that "it" is the one word that doesn't use 's for a possessive. But in writing that sentence, he showed us that "that" is also another word.

it's
that's
He wasn't saying that the 's is only used for possessives, just that a possessive form that doesn't use it is atypical. If, for example, we're talking about Frank, the possessive is "Frank's frank" (the frank belongs to Frank) while the corresponding contraction is "Frank's frank" (Frank is frank). "It" is exceptional in that The Powers That Be decided it was necessary to distinguish between the possessive and contraction forms.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're right, there's more than one exception ( :ninja: ), but exceptions are, by linguistic legerdemain, exceptional. They throw off casual writers who rely on rules - as they were taught to do - in a language that doesn't follow rules. And they rely on rudimentary spell checkers that compare words with a dictionary, but can't check usage.
Merriam-Webster wrote:
I before e, except after c
Or when sounded as 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'
Unless the 'c' is part of a 'sh' sound as in 'glacier'
Or it appears in comparatives and superlatives like 'fancier'
And also except when the vowels are sounded as 'e' as in 'seize'
Or 'i' as in 'height'
Or also in '-ing' inflections ending in '-e' as in 'cueing'
Or in compound words as in 'albeit'
Or occasionally in technical words with strong etymological links to their parent languages as in 'cuneiform'
Or in other numerous and random exceptions such as 'science', 'forfeit', and 'weird'.
Also, what if Frank's frank that Frank's frank was one of the Franks' franks?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The way I teach it:

The food was for hi's party.
The food was for he'r party.
The food was for it's party.

If it feels wrong for "his" and "her", it's wrong for "its".
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There was nothing wrong with the food that Lois prepared for Hi's party. :coffee:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:04 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am

meh

it's
that's
He wasn't saying that the 's is only used for possessives, just that a possessive form that doesn't use it is atypical. If, for example, we're talking about Frank, the possessive is "Frank's frank" (the frank belongs to Frank) while the corresponding contraction is "Frank's frank" (Frank is frank). "It" is exceptional in that The Powers That Be decided it was necessary to distinguish between the possessive and contraction forms.
Well, I'll just say, who's to say whose frank that is.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are possessive pronouns really atypical or exceptional? They are a group of words with their own name.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 pm Are possessive pronouns really atypical or exceptional? They are a group of words with their own name.
That's a reasonable point. It isn't that possessive pronouns are atypical per se (because, as you say, they are their own thing), just that the construction of the possessive pronoun its may seem to be atypical compared to the common construction of possessive nouns. Most people aren't grammarians and probably don't consciously think in terms of distinguishing between nouns and pronouns when deciding how to spell the word.

In the general sense we're talking about homophones, and the tendency for some people to type the wrong word if it sounds like the word they intended to use. The discussion sprang up around its/it's because that's the specific typo that my lying fickle fingers made, but it could just as easily be about their/they're or write/wright/right.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Anybody heard anything new about Ukraine?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i think those would now be in the grammarian thread
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Zelensky’s Party Says It Will Move to Replace Defense Minister
President Volodymyr Zelensky’s political party said on Sunday that it would move to replace Ukraine’s defense minister, as fierce fighting raged in the east amid what Ukrainian officials say is the beginning of a new Russian offensive.

The fate of the defense minister, Oleksii Reznikov, has been the subject of increasing speculation amid a growing scandal about financial impropriety within the ministry and an accompanying government investigation into corruption.

Davyd Arakhamia, the head of Mr. Zelensky’s Servant of the People party in Parliament, said on Sunday that Mr. Reznikov would be transferred to the leadership of another ministry and that Maj. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov, the current military intelligence chief, would replace him.

Mr. Reznikov has not been directly implicated in any wrongdoing, and Mr. Arakhamia did not link the move to concerns about the corruption scandal. Mr. Reznikov would become the highest ranking official in Mr. Zelensky’s government to be reassigned in the nearly 12 months since Russia’s full-scale invasion began.

There was no immediate comment from Mr. Zelensky. Mr. Reznikov earlier on Sunday had addressed reports that he might be replaced by saying that only one person — Mr. Zelensky — can decide if he stays.

“No official remains in office forever. No one,” Mr. Reznikov said during a news conference. He added, “I will do what the head of state suggests to me.”

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is probably not something to be concerned about... :coffee:

She adds that while SpaceX was pleased to help Ukraine in its “fight for freedom” she said Starlink “was never intended to be weaponized … Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were not part of any agreement.”
The "she" in question is SpaceX’s Gwynne Shotwell.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:35 pm
She adds that while SpaceX was pleased to help Ukraine in its “fight for freedom” she said Starlink “was never intended to be weaponized … Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were not part of any agreement.”
The "she" in question is SpaceX’s Gwynne Shotwell.
Appropriate use of "its". Will allow.

Also, if SpaceX doesn't expect its tech to be weaponized they're crazy. Space is the next battlefield.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Meh, I don't doubt that most telecommunications X were never meant to aid in warfare but it's naive to think they're not going to be used. That said, I doubt she's naive but rather was going for the virtue signal her overlord virtue signals he that hates so much.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WOMEN IN TECHNOLOGY: HEDY LAMARR, THE MOTHER OF WI-FI
“Frequency hopping” was an ingenious way of switching between radio frequencies in order to avoid a signal being jammed. It was developed by Hedy Lamarr with the American composer George Antheil as a “secret communications system”. By manipulating radio frequencies at irregular intervals between transmission and reception, the invention formed an unbreakable code that could prevent secret messages from being intercepted.

After receiving a patent for it in 1942, Hedy Lamarr donated the technology to the US military to help fight the Nazis, specifically to help guide torpedoes under water without being detected. But it was dismissed at the time and the significance of the discovery would not be realized until decades later when it was used by the US Navy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It would subsequently go on to be used in a wide range of military applications, but, significantly, it was the “spread spectrum” technology that Hedy Lamarr helped to invent that would form the basis of modern wireless communication technology and enable the smartphone boom and WiFi connections we take for granted today.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently she was referring to SpaceX fucking with Ukrainian use of Starlink.

SpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president
SpaceX has taken steps to prevent Ukraine's military from using the company's Starlink satellite internet service for controlling drones in the region during the country's war with Russia, SpaceX's president said Wednesday.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service, which has provided Ukraine's military with broadband communications in its defense against Russia's military, was "never never meant to be weaponized," Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president and chief operating officer, said during a conference in Washington, D.C.

"However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement," she said.

Speaking later with reporters, Shotwell referred to reports that the Ukrainian military had used the Starlink service to control drones.

Ukraine has made effective use of unmanned aircraft for spotting enemy positions, targeting long-range fires and dropping bombs.

"There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that," she said, referring to Starlink's use with drones. "There are things that we can do, and have done."

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+muc ... aid+spacex

Let's start with

https://www.theinformation.com/articles ... te-program
Every two hours or so, a satellite that SpaceX built for the Department of Defense circles Earth. The exact purpose of the satellite isn’t clear: The project is confidential. But its significance for SpaceX, the rocket company founded and led by Elon Musk, is coming into focus.
Starshield is actually a four-year-old business but has operated largely in secret until now. And yet it has already made a huge dent inside SpaceX. It has been a financial boon for the company, which has otherwise relied on private fundraising and revenue from launching rockets to finance its most ambitious projects, such as the Starlink satellite internet service and a powerful new rocket, Starship, two people told The Information. A couple of years ago, as the small team behind Starshield built a prototype satellite, SpaceX’s president and chief operating officer, Gwynne Shotwell, told them in a meeting that billions of dollars in contracts were riding on the success of their efforts, one of the people said.
According to public records, the Defense Department has awarded SpaceX $1.2 billion in contracts for national security–related launches since 2020.
I still maintain she is either virtue signaling or dancing for her overlord or both. With his Musk libertarian ventures sucking off the government teat it's impossible for me tell.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

She didn't simply say "could do" -- she said "have done." It stops being virtue signalling if you're actually taking action.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

SpaceX says it blocked Ukraine from using Starlink with military drones
SpaceX took steps to prevent Ukraine's military from using Starlink satellite Internet with drones because the service was never intended to be "weaponized," SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell said at an FAA space transportation conference Wednesday.

"Using Starlink with drones went beyond the scope of an agreement SpaceX has with the Ukrainian government, Shotwell said, adding that the contract was intended for humanitarian purposes such as providing broadband Internet to hospitals, banks, and families affected by Russia's invasion," Reuters reported.

Shotwell said, "We were really pleased to be able to provide Ukraine connectivity and help them in their fight for freedom. It was never intended to be weaponized. However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement," according to the Associated Press.

Starlink's terms of service specifically address this, saying it is "not designed or intended for use with or in offensive or defensive weaponry or other comparable end-uses." SpaceX knows "the military is using them for comms, and that's OK," Shotwell reportedly said. "But our intent was never to have them use it for offensive purposes."

Shotwell declined to say exactly how SpaceX prevented Ukraine from using Starlink with drones. "There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that... there are things that we can do and have done," she said, according to Reuters.
Shotwell's comments expanded on a recent statement by SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk. In a tweet on January 31, Musk wrote that "SpaceX Starlink has become the connectivity backbone of Ukraine all the way up to the front lines... However, we are not allowing Starlink to be used for long-range drone strikes." Musk's comment came after a TV host on a Russian state-controlled channel called Musk "a war criminal."
There were a couple of Ukrainian strikes against Russian airfields well behind the front lines that were described as drone strikes, in addition to the attacks on Russian naval vessels using unmanned surface vehicles. I suspect that is the sort of activity that Musk (and by extension, Starlink) is opposed to, since it is feasible that they require satellite communications to control the UAV/USV at those distances. I doubt that it has anything to do with tactical use of drones near the front lines.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:18 pmI suspect that is the sort of activity that Musk (and by extension, Starlink) is opposed to, since it is feasible that they require satellite communications to control the UAV/USV at those distances. I doubt that it has anything to do with tactical use of drones near the front lines.
FWIW the belief is that there is no direct control model of a drone via Starlink. Starlink mobile terminals are too heavy and require too much power for that purpose. One theory is that the Ukrainians are deploying terminals in Russia or operating special forces teams in Russia connected via Starlink. The straightforward way to decode what SpaceX is actually doing is that they are geo locking the terminals to only work within the Ukraine. That is a known control capability of Starlink.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Russian soldiers are dying in greater numbers in Ukraine this month than at any time since the first week of the invasion, according to Ukrainian data.

The Ukrainian data shows 824 Russian soldiers dying per day in February.

The figures were highlighted by the UK's Ministry of Defence. The figures cannot be verified - but the UK says the trends are "likely accurate".

The increase comes as Ukrainian officials say that Russia has launched a "big offensive".

However, the secretary of the National Security and Defence Council of Ukraine (NSDC), Oleksiy Danilov, also said Russia is experiencing "big problems" with the campaign.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64616099
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hyena wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:36 pm
Enlarge Image
That was the first thing I thought of.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Russia planned to topple Moldova’s pro-West government by fomenting violence through foreign actors and internal criminal groups, Moldova’s President Maia Sandu said Monday. The attempted plot would have placed the Eastern European nation at the disposal of the Kremlin for use in its invasion of Ukraine, and prevented Moldova’s integration into the European Union, she said.

Sandu said that Moldovan authorities had confirmed the disclosure by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in Brussels last week that his intelligence forces had intercepted documents showing “who, when and through what actions” Russia would use to “break the democratic order” of Moldova.

“The purpose of these actions is to overthrow the constitutional order, to change the legitimate power from Chisinau with an illegitimate one,” Sandu said at the Monday briefing, referencing the Moldovan capital.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ru ... r-AA17riRq
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That seems like it should be huge news this morning.

https://apnews.com/article/politics-rus ... e5e618e2df

Russian response
“They are built in the spirit of classical techniques that are often used by the United States, other Western countries and Ukraine,” Zakharova said. “First, accusations are made with reference to purportedly classified intelligence information that cannot be verified, and then they are used to justify their own illegal actions.”
Says the nation changing its story on Ukraine military build up on Ukrainian border constantly since December 2021.