Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:46 pm I guess a lot also depends on whether or not you think you're going to be playing directly from the storage container. I've tried doing that, but Invariably end up putting tokens into a series of silicone baking cups instead because they're easier to use at the table.
That's exactly what I'm trying to move past having to do. The storage containers suck for play, but loading baking cups (or whatever) for games where you need access to a 15 different components, and then re-storing them afterwards is a drain.
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:46 pm When I hit that point (of not finding what I wanted), I transitioned to bags for storage and then if you're looking for stacking, sealing containers to store the bags and other components in (for easy access), I am a big fan of these bins that are sold on Amazon but actually can be found at Office Depot and Target. They have various depths and a locking lid; they stack great.
I have a number of those - I picked up a stack of them a few years ago at back-to-school clearance. I use them for all sorts of odds and ends.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding what I'm looking for. To clarify the terminology I'm using, I'd call a 'component tray' one designed for easy access. That means shallow enough to pick things up from the bottom, and with rounded/slanted bottoms to the compartments to make it easy to grab flat pieces. That's the problem with the bead box storage option (which I still like for games not being played.) The bead boxes have tall, narrow compartments that meet the bottom at right angles. That means that it's really difficult to pick up flat pieces off of the bottom - you can't 'pinch' things because it's too deep and narrow, and you can't slide it out because of the right angle.

I have some component trays.

The best ones I have, rock-solid, swappable dividers in three sizes, link together, but can't be used for storage, which means that you have to spend extra time during setup pulling out all of the components and loading it:

Enlarge Image

A nice one, big compartments, rounded bottom corners (although they could be more rounded), but the lid absolutely does not stay on in storage, and it's vacuformed, so it's not sturdy enough to put a box band on:

Enlarge Image

This one has perfectly shaped compartments (although they could be a bit bigger), but it's the one with the springy lid that either has to stick straight up or be folded under - and if it's folded under and gets too light, it turns into a token catapult:

Enlarge Image

There are also individual boxes/trays, but the problem there is that either you have to load them up for each game, or you have to try to store a dozen different small boxes (and with my space, that's a problem.)

And then there are the storage boxes. Like I said, I like these for storage, but they just don't work well on the tabletop.

Here's my box for the Fallout board games, which it's perfect for:

The problem is that I have a bunch of games that just won't fit. I have probably ten that require two boxes, and a few that require three. Here's Core Space, keeping in mind that half of the components from the expansions aren't in there:

Still, I like these, as they store really, really well, and at $2 each, I can buy a dozen and have them ready as I need them. That's a huge advantage, as it means that they're all the same size, which makes storing them much more efficient:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what I was looking for was:

1) a bead style box that was big enough to hold the two-box games in one, and are cheap enough that I can buy a stack for the ones I have now, plus extras for the future so that I can take advantage of the same-sized boxes when it comes to storage. (I'm not looking for something big enough for something like Core Space - those are big enough to require specialized storage.)

2) A hybrid between the component tray (easy access to pieces) and the storage boxes (solid construction, more compartments, lid designed to stay closed.) The idea being that if I'm going to be playing a game repeatedly for a while, I can take the pieces out of the bead box, put them into the tray, and use that. And when I'm done with that game, I can put the pieces back in the bead box, and use the tray for the next extended-play game. And this was never about games with four or five types of tokens - those only take a minute to set up, so I don't really need six-compartment boxes. These are for the more expansive games where sorting tokens into the trays and back into storage every time really pads the setup time.

I'm now not sure that #1 is available at affordable prices, or that #2 exists at all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:24 pm I'm now not sure that #1 is available at affordable prices, or that #2 exists at all.
And after I said that, I found something similar to #2 on Etsy.

Unfortunately, it has board game snob disease - it's only available in purple heart or zebra wood for $600. :roll:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scam. Zebras aren’t made of wood. Sheesh, what kind of gullible rube falls for that shit?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:37 pm Unfortunately, it has board game snob disease - it's only available in purple heart or zebra wood for $600. :roll:
Yeah, when ever I am searching on storage solutions for various games, those bespoke Etsy solutions always come up and I just shake my head. I guess if I only played one game and I wanted to go all-out with storage and presentation? Spending a ridiculous amount of money on one of those solutions might make sense. But as a solution for a mountain of games? Nope.

Not sure how helpful you find this, but I've also tried just about every war game style chit tray created, and while some are better than others, they're typically not something I use any more because they're either too small or the lids don't stay on (as you've observed). That said, I discovered a year or so ago a manufacturer from Poland (Cube4Me) that makes (1) spacious chit trays that (2) absolutely do not come open on their own or require a rubber band to keep closed. They're also deeper and larger than a GMT or DVG tray and he makes both generic and game-specific solutions.

Check here and see if anything might work. They're not that expensive and shipping to the U.S. wasn't absurd - just slow (took ~3 weeks to reach me). He provides specific loadouts for quite a few war games (like Combat Commander) but once you see them in action for something you might recognize, maybe you can use a bunch for storage and game play?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, I like. I’m always looking for a good chit storage solution for my GMT games like Space Empires 4x. I have some of the GMT trays but the tops are definitely not secure.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Huh, those are very cool, and much closer to what I was looking for. I still wish I could get away from vacuform, but it's a lot better than the alternatives (although in the short term, I was able to rig something with the Token Catapult:

Enlarge Image

I glued a rare earth magnet into one of the center compartments on the outer edge away from the spring hinge. I then glued another in the opposite side with the lid folded open. Now, when opened, the magnet holds the tray together. I works, but I don't know how long it's going to stay glued (neither material is particularly conducive to adhesives, although I did what I could with sandpaper and a metal file.)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Have you checked to see if anyone has files for a 3d printed storage solution?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have no access to a printer.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:19 am I have no access to a printer.
FWIW, it appears the Terre Haute Vigo County Library provides easy access to a Makerspace and 3D printers. So, I'd suggest contacting a librarian there to find out more about pricing and such. Even if Terre Haute is too far away from you, they may well be able to suggest an alternative Makerspace that's in closer proximity.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have in the past. Local residents only, and that's the only remotely nearby place I've been able to find.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:39 am I have in the past. Local residents only, and that's the only remotely nearby place I've been able to find.
I always scan the Menards storage aisle when I am there and have found a variety of different sized of plastic boxes that fit my storage needs. I tend to take the minis out of games like Shadows of Brimstone and store them in separate things, to protect them after painting. Plano used to have a box with rounded bottoms that I liked for chits, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Speaking of board game snobbery, I made a luxury purchase that I may regret. I have a 3x3 table that I do all my solo boardgaming on in my office. It is fine, but I am often running out of space and having to use a TV tray for overflow. For big games like Kingdom Death Monster and Voidfall, even that is a stretch. So I purchased a LevelUp table from Spidermind games - one of those "put on your gaming table and it elevates the board 6 inches to allow for some room under" deals.

I thought this might work for a few reasons. One, we are constantly playing certain games on the floor with the kiddo, and it might be a nice makeshift "table." Second, for Voidfall, it would have been nice to have extra space to tuck cards and such that aren't constantly being used. Same with KDM. Third, this will allow me to quickly move boards off my table if I need it for painting, while still keeping my board state.

It was a silly and perhaps slightly impulse buy. I was contemplating both the LevelUp and the AdaptableTop but the LevelUp just looked nicer and I got a much larger table due to a sale (although I likely will only be using the 2x3 version).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:36 pm It was a silly and perhaps slightly impulse buy. I was contemplating both the LevelUp and the AdaptableTop but the LevelUp just looked nicer and I got a much larger table due to a sale (although I likely will only be using the 2x3 version).
I backed both years ago when they were on Kickstarter. Back then I had an active in-person RPG group, and it was a useful thing to have.

You chose well. I gave away the AdaptTabletop. The entire thing went together like LEGOs, and was flimsy, especially if you put it on a non-rigid table (like a card table with a padded top.) The LevelUp has none of those issues, and is the better product.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm
baelthazar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:36 pm It was a silly and perhaps slightly impulse buy. I was contemplating both the LevelUp and the AdaptableTop but the LevelUp just looked nicer and I got a much larger table due to a sale (although I likely will only be using the 2x3 version).
I backed both years ago when they were on Kickstarter. Back then I had an active in-person RPG group, and it was a useful thing to have.

You chose well. I gave away the AdaptTabletop. The entire thing went together like LEGOs, and was flimsy, especially if you put it on a non-rigid table (like a card table with a padded top.) The LevelUp has none of those issues, and is the better product.
Whew, what a relief. That was my greatest fear with the AdaptTableTop - that those lego connectors would be loose. I really should have come here to ask opinions, but it seems I dodged making a bad choice!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got some new artwork above the gaming table. Christmas present from Little B 14.9. 8-)

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Classic Larry Elmore - very nice.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Those are awesome! Instantly takes me back to circa 1991 :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was actually looking at some of his work myself just before Xmas as well. At the risk of sounding morbid, I was figuring he was getting old enough that maybe being able to secure signed prints might be problematic and maybe it would make sense to get one for framing...

He has so much stuff on his website - artwork from modules and covers of Dragon magazine, it was like a trip down memory lane just to see them. But yeah, the Dragonlance stuff will always have a special place for me as well - there's no mistaking where it's from.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 am Those are awesome! Instantly takes me back to circa 1991 :D
I was 13 in 1992, so Tika on Dragons of Spring Dawning was pretty notable.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:09 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 am Those are awesome! Instantly takes me back to circa 1991 :D
Huh, I've always assumed that was Kitiara.
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:05 pm I was actually looking at some of his work myself just before Xmas as well. At the risk of sounding morbid, I was figuring he was getting old enough that maybe being able to secure signed prints might be problematic and maybe it would make sense to get one for framing...
Tracy Hickman lives around the corner from me and we have a mutual friend. I should ask if he can hook me up with an autograph on one of them. :think:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I saw Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and R.R. Salvatore in passing at GenCon but their lines were so long I never bothered. Still, I can't think of three authors (besides maybe Stephen King) who so drastically influenced my high school reading habits.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:04 pm Tracy Hickman lives around the corner from me and we have a mutual friend. I should ask if he can hook me up with an autograph on one of them. :think:
That's crazy. I'd be pushing him to sign my copies of the Death Gate Cycle. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:18 pm I saw Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and R.R. Salvatore in passing at GenCon but their lines were so long I never bothered. Still, I can't think of three authors (besides maybe Stephen King) who so drastically influenced my high school reading habits.
I may have told this story here before, but if not...

Little B and I went to Salt Lake ComicCon 6 or 7 years ago. It was pre-COVID, she was probably 7 or 8 years old. There was a booth towards the back that had a ton of Dragonlance artwork and other memorabilia for sale. I was checking it all out and the guy running the booth asked me if I liked Dragonlance. We got talking all about how they were my intro to fantasy, how I read the Chronicles over and over as a kid, how I still have my dog-eared copy at home with the cover held together by duct tape, how Dragonlance got me started into D&D, RPGs, and all things fantasy, etc, etc. Just a really fun 10 minute stroll down memory lane with a total stranger.

As we parted, I said "Thanks for the chat, was good to meet you. My name's [Skinypupy]". He responded, "Good to meet you too. I'm Tracy." I wandered towards the next booth not thinking anything of it...until a staff member walked up and said, "Mr. Hickman, they're ready for you now". I think I got whiplash from that immediate double-take. Pretty sure he knew it too, as I saw him chuckle as he walked off.

It's probably a good thing I didn't actually know who he was, as I would likely have fanboy-ed all over the pace if I had known. :oops:
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:04 pm Tracy Hickman lives around the corner from me and we have a mutual friend. I should ask if he can hook me up with an autograph on one of them. :think:
That's crazy. I'd be pushing him to sign my copies of the Death Gate Cycle. :)
I met Tracy at GenCon's 50. I went to his (final) Killer Breakfast, in which he GMs for a couple of hundred people at once. Afterward, you could go out to Tracy's booth and he'd sign your character sheet. I was with a friend who had a torn achilles (I was acting as a sort of aide for him due to the injury that year.) Due to his injury, my friend was in a motorized scooter that year, which made waiting in long lines problematic, so I waited until everyone else had left the auditorium, walked up, and told Tracy my friend was injured, and asked if he'd be willing to sign his sheet then. He was more than happy to do so. We absolutely did not ask - we were asking for a favor in an exception to begin with, and I didn't want to take up too much of his time (in fact, I didn't even ask him to sign my sheet - I waited in line like the rest of masses.) And yet, he happily sat there for 20 minutes afterwards telling us stories and chatting, which was awesome.

I have my signed sheet in the closet, hanging on the bookshelf with my RPG books.

The next year, I took in my copy of Dragonlance Adventures (the first D&D book I ever personally owned, and a very important book in my personal history) to get it signed. I was able to get it signed by Margaret Weis, which is awesome, but Tracy Hickman wasn't there that year, or the next. Then COVID hit, and then the friends who always hosted me at GenCon (they lived nearby and went every year) moved out of state. I've thought about seeing if he'd be willing to sign and return it via the mail for a fee.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Back on the subject of art. Fantasy art on walls is tricky - it's tough to keep it fantasy without making it tacky, especially when it isn't a dedicated gaming (etc) room.

I redecorated my bedroom walls back in the late 2000s. The style I went with then doesn't really suit me anymore. When Michelle moved in, I cleared half of them to let her put up her own decorations. Now that she's gone, my room's half decorated with stuff that was important to me 15 years ago, and half bare walls. I've been actively pondering what I want. I've thought about Eyvind Earle, as I love his colors and contrast, but it's surprisingly difficult to find full-sized art by him that doesn't run into 'fine art' prices (I'm poor - I do prints/posters in Walmart frames.) I've also looked closely at some stuff from my favorite fantasy/sci-fi artist - Michael Whelan. I've loved his work since I first saw it in 1990. The odds are you have (or have had) some of it on your shelf.

This set of Jaxom and Ruth are two my favorites of his.

Then again, Elmore is offering signed prints for $60.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I managed to grab one of a limited run of prints by Gary Chalk to support Ukraine a few years back. It's a Lone Wolf (the game book) piece with some Ukraine colors "hidden" in the artwork.

But yeah, not sure where I'd hang it outside of its current location in my home office. :) I already have a Neil Gaiman print and some art done in the style of a tattoo flash sheet that sometimes people ask about when I'm on a Zoom call. Not sure how I'd explain Elmore or Chalk. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm I already have a Neil Gaiman print and some art done in the style of a tattoo flash sheet that sometimes people ask about when I'm on a Zoom call. Not sure how I'd explain Elmore or Chalk. :)
I have a nice framed posted of Yoda above me when I'm on Zoom calls. I thought about replacing it with something more "professional", but have found it to be a really great conversation starter with lots of clients.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I wish I had more Wall space to hang art on. Most of my game room wall space is covered by Kallax shelving units.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a Nuka Girl poster (this one) on the wall right behind me. It was a gift, and I'm a Fallout fan, so I keep it hanging, but if I were ever going to make regular use of Zoom etc, I'd either move it or switch it with something else. I'm not the type to hang pictures of women on my wall.
hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:56 pm I wish I had more Wall space to hang art on. Most of my game room wall space is covered by Kallax shelving units.
Unfortunately, most of my floor-wall space is taken up with other furniture - desk, bed, dresser, etc, - or I'd probably have tons of extra shelving, too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:04 pm
baelthazar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:09 pm
Huh, I've always assumed that was Kitiara.
Kitiara is the one on Winter Night (middle picture.)

Left to right: Tanis, Goldmoon, Sturm, Tas, Laurana, Kitiara, Caramon, Tika, Raistlin.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the dragon on the left is Ember, and the one on the right is Cyan Bloodbane. No idea which dragon is on the middle one.

(And it's been 30 years since I've read these!)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 pm Got some new artwork above the gaming table. Christmas present from Little B 14.9. 8-)
Oh wow, now that brings me back. Very cool.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does anyone know where to find 55mm cardboard hexes that aren't tied to a particular game? Blank would be an alternative, but pre-printed would be much better.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:49 pm Does anyone know where to find 55mm cardboard hexes that aren't tied to a particular game? Blank would be an alternative, but pre-printed would be much better.
TheGameCrafter.com would likely be able to help you out. So, I'd suggest contacting them for more specific pricing on what you're after.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Buddy of mine asked today if I wanted to do GenCon this year. I've never really been to a board game con before, but definitely interested.

Now if I can just get Mrs. Skinypupy's approval...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know what it's like post-pandemic, but it was a great experience when I was able to go.

Make sure you plan your activities and lock them down as far in advance as you can, and that you plan to set aside a day for the vendor hall.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My layout for about half of the village of Thundertree. I ran out of time to do decent roads.

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:I don't know what it's like post-pandemic, but it was a great experience when I was able to go.
I haven't been in a couple of years but it's back as strong as ever. My buddy went last year and said it was back to normal crowds.

And yes, Skiny, it's absolutely worth doing at least once. It's a blast. Like BH said, make sure you set aside that vendor hall day. As far as events, I also highly recommend the BGG Hot Games Room. Basically you can rent 2 hour blocks of time in one of the hotel ballrooms and play whatever you want from a decent library of recent releases. It's a great way to try out new stuff, and it's much less crowded than the official game library.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

My wife and i went pre covid.
We loved it.
Its about a 12 hour drive though so probably wont go again. Especially with my current condition.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:09 pm My wife and i went pre covid.
We loved it.
Its about a 12 hour drive though so probably wont go again. Especially with my current condition.
I'd have to fly, and Salt Lake to Indy is apparently just stupid expensive ($800-900) regardless of airline.

So...maybe I'm going to GenCon. :?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Bit the bullet...bought tickets and booked hotel this morning for GenCon. So damn excited. :) :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Awesome. Hope to see you there!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon