Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm out of stone and almost out of copper. And I'm getting just a bit worn out over the need to keep attacking nests. Is there a good mod or cheat that just allows me to add materials like copper and stone to my inventory? I'm not looking for massive amounts, just enough to fill some storage chests to keep my production lines working while I plan out my new productions. I want to expand my factory at my pace, not at a panic pace to go grab resources.

Or perhaps a mod that will let me spawn some resource fields nearer to me?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't know about the mods, but what you are describing is kind of the game. You aren't meant to be able to get all the research up and running on your starter base. Exploration and expansion are an integral part to succeeding. If the nests aren't fun, restart with the Biters turned non-aggressive. You'll still have to clear nests if they are where you want to build something, but finding new sources of RMs will be trivial. Getting them back to your base will still remain the challenge.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:42 am I'm out of stone and almost out of copper. And I'm getting just a bit worn out over the need to keep attacking nests. Is there a good mod or cheat that just allows me to add materials like copper and stone to my inventory? I'm not looking for massive amounts, just enough to fill some storage chests to keep my production lines working while I plan out my new productions. I want to expand my factory at my pace, not at a panic pace to go grab resources.

The way I solved this frustration, IIRC, was mostly just in the parameters I gave my starting map. Slightly bumped up the size or density of deposits, I think... which was enough to kind of shift everything a little more toward my pace of playing.

Is this still your (mostly) first playthrough, or have you restarted several times already?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is my first playthrough and I have more than three dozen hours in it. That's why I was looking for a fix rather than restarting.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:19 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:42 am I'm out of stone and almost out of copper. And I'm getting just a bit worn out over the need to keep attacking nests. Is there a good mod or cheat that just allows me to add materials like copper and stone to my inventory? I'm not looking for massive amounts, just enough to fill some storage chests to keep my production lines working while I plan out my new productions. I want to expand my factory at my pace, not at a panic pace to go grab resources.

The way I solved this frustration, IIRC, was mostly just in the parameters I gave my starting map. Slightly bumped up the size or density of deposits, I think... which was enough to kind of shift everything a little more toward my pace of playing.

Is this still your (mostly) first playthrough, or have you restarted several times already?
Oh, that's a good one - totally forgot about that option.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:22 pm This is my first playthrough and I have more than three dozen hours in it. That's why I was looking for a fix rather than restarting.
If it means anything, it won't take you 30+ hours to get back to the same spot. You'll be much more efficient next time just because you'll have more concrete plans of where you want to go.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote:
Unagi wrote: The way I solved this frustration, IIRC, was mostly just in the parameters I gave my starting map. Slightly bumped up the size or density of deposits, I think... which was enough to kind of shift everything a little more toward my pace of playing.
Oh, that's a good one - totally forgot about that option.
and also, just a couple of them, not all of them, IIRC - maybe mostly just coal and iron
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:22 pm This is my first playthrough and I have more than three dozen hours in it. That's why I was looking for a fix rather than restarting.
Yeah, quite unlike Satisfactory and Dyson's Sphere, I would say that most everyone that has played Factorio has a few "Learn and Burn" games behind them. Not a ton - but at least a handful.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I went and started a new game. To be more focused on building, which is what I like, but not nerfing the beasties entirely, I set all the Resources sliders to 300% (by the way, they go up to 600%) and on the Enemy page I set the Starting Area Size to 300% as well. This means all the nests are far out towards the edges of the map. I made no other changes to the enemy.

So far I'm doing OK and since it is my second time I'm going to not compress my factory to a small space.

Enlarge Image

By the way, does the map have finite limits? Or does it spawn procedurally as I approach the edges?
stessier

Post by stessier »

You can make it finite, but by default it is infinite and procedurally generated. I'm not sure, though, exactly how much is there at the start and just covered by the fog of war.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So after a week off, I'm back playing this again :roll:. With my 300/300 layout I have a lot more room to have fun with the game. And as Unagi mentioned, it is better to have started a new game rather than keep trying to expand on my old one.