[Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Post by hepcat »

“Everyone…get behind my abs” will be funny to me when I’m 90.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

"Stop or I'll shoot everyone!"

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Spoiler:
Only one of them is, goddammit, Mrs. Smith
:lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Was not ready for the pandemic joke. Too soon. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What was the pandemic joke? :?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It wasn't even the first time. There was another one in 2020 when they added in "“Buy another one, Morty! Consume, Morty! Nobody’s out there shopping with this f***ing virus!” to Never Ricking Morty.

But for "Final DeSmithation" the old man was trying to explain to Rick that he was sending messages to get help - ""Please, come help me or a virus will shut down the world."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, that one slipped right by me. In my defense, I was laughing like a loon at every scene with Jerry frantically (and hilariously) trying to avoid his fate; and the fight scene set to the theme from Taxi.

As I loved Taxi, it was especially great every time it came up.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't want to jinx it, but so far they've all been great. They feel much tighter and the writing is back to being sharp. The new season of Archer is similar. Whatever they decided to do to get back in the groove is working.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, Archer has come roaring back after a multi year arc during which they experimented with their characters and stories (with some good, some bad results), and have rediscovered just what makes the show great: the characters as inept, but oddly effectual spies. I do miss the legendary Jessica Walters though. She could destroy any character with just a word and a tone. :(
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Going back to basics after losing Mallory was great. Archer and the rest of the gang dealing with the loss of their leader is a deep well for good ideas.

And Archer in therapy — beautiful.

I’m Having a Breakthrough!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If ever dinosaurs were going to come back, now would be a great time.

Though I am wondering if the entire episode was created just to address the looming problem that we are reminded of at the start of the episode.

Either way, another great one. They're taking a break though and coming back in late November.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like episode 7 might have been the culmination of years of hearing from fans. I had to rewind at least a dozen times to catch all the little things going on at the same time.

Also…
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't like the first (7th?) episode at all. The episode after, as the kids say, was fire.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was definitely a thinker. The laughs were based on satirizing the state of story telling in television...and itself...a lot. I loved it personally. I like their goofy episodes, but I also like the ones that make me stop to ponder what they’re trying to say.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't need a seasonal meta narrative episode. But whatever conducts your train again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The more I think about it, the more I believe it was friggin' brilliant. And I think it actually gives you what you want by....well, this bit from the Screen Rant review sums it up (spoiler for those who haven't watched it yet) quite succinctly:
Spoiler:
Previous Leon proves that Rick and Morty doesn’t need one overarching storyline and underlines the idea that the series could be stronger without a singular through line. As long as Evil Morty or Rick Prime is seen as the final boss of Rick and Morty, everything until their return would ultimately be filler. However, while Rick and Morty season 6, part 2 can still answer who the Rickest Rick is, Rick Prime or C-137 Rick, the events of “Full Meta Jackrick,” prove that this won’t need to be the end of Rick and Morty. By refusing to conform to television conventions, Rick and Morty can maintain its anarchic energy.

For many television shows, the gradual journey of the characters toward a pre-ordained ending is what provides the story with its tension. From Breaking Bad to Mad Men, to Bojack Horseman, to The Sopranos, many stories of morally ambiguous antiheroes slowly work toward an inevitable end. In contrast, Rick and Morty works as a more chaotic, irreverent series because the show rejects television conventions. Previous Leon allowed Rick to address the fact that his and Morty’s character development from season 5 seemed to be undone while also asking whether this really mattered. If Rick and Morty continues to thwart Previous Leon by refusing to conform to convention, the show can continue to constantly reinvent itself.
I also am not a huge fan of the story train episode. But this episode seemed to be an attempt to remake that episode...but with a more thoughtful (and funny) story. Heck, it even pokes fun at the story train episode on numerous occasions throughout .
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been enjoying the hell out of this new season - the writing is much, much tighter and they've all (so far) felt more think-y. As you mentioned earlier, lots of times where I'm rewinding to make sure I understood a reference or correctly saw something happening.

E7 was meta, but so is this week's (E8 - Analyze Piss) and it goes back to one of the most misunderstood episodes in the entire series (which Jerry clearly communicates, thankfully).
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This seems like a profound exchange but maybe I'm just high:

Morty: Rick, you're going to spoil your appetite!

Rick: That's a weird way to say I'm going to stop being hungry by eating food.

:lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Loved the weekend's episode. It was full of that sort of exchange without being the Pynchonlike stuff Smoove and HepC rave about.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This episode is a masterwork.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If I had one criticism, it would be
Spoiler:
They already did a don't cut off my penis episode. Take that for calling obsessing over past episodes.
But I don't have a criticism. I was happy to just love the one liners and having the story just be a story. With maybe a smile at the nod to Gerald Scarfe's take on Roger Waters. That's about as close to artsy as I can be anymore.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:15 am Loved the weekend's episode. It was full of that sort of exchange without being the Pynchonlike stuff Smoove and HepC rave about.
Meh,..we're capable of appreciating both deeper stories and the ones that aren't. As the Whit-man once wrote, we contain multitudes.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's true. I was giggling non-stop at the floppy pixelated penises in the last episode.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't been able to watch this season - they're really stingy with their streaming options.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I chuckled at a few things in the Knights of the Sun entry, but overall it was my least favorite episode of the season.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Can you have a Rick and Morty with no Justin Roiland? Adult Swim intends to find out.

Adult Swim cuts ties with Justin Roiland, will re-cast Rick and Morty
Rick And Morty will live on, but it’ll do so without co-creator Justin Roiland. That was the announcement made today by Adult Swim, with the official Rick And Morty Twitter account also stating that Adult Swim has “ended its association” with Roiland and that the show will continue, noting that “the talented and dedicated crew are hard at work on season seven.”

The Hollywood Reporter says that the characters Roiland voiced on Rick And Morty—most notably Rick and Morty—will be re-cast, which means this is going to be a significantly larger change to the show than just removing him as the co-showrunner and eliminating whatever influence he had on the writing process. Roiland is credited as the co-creator, and still will be going forward, but that means it’s unclear how much actual writing he used to do from episode to episode. Either way, Dan Harmon will now be the sole showrunner on the series, though THR says Roiland will “always be credited as co-creator.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read up on some of the accusations just now. A lot of the sicker jokes in Rick and Morty and his other shows take on new dimensions when you read them.

Sucks we’re losing R&M (I know they’re going to try and keep it alive, but I doubt it will last), but if it keeps a dangerous predator from using his position to harm underage girls, it’s for the best.

Side note: I’ve always believed that Justin on his own doesn’t work nearly as well as when he has Harmon to level out his much crueler sense of humor. There’s dark and then there’s DARK.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rick & Morty could get cringy WTF at times. I think a lot of that came from Roiland, as it usually didn’t advance the character or story when it happened. I think Harmon realized his dark side creeping on a writer, but Roiland just kept being mean without consequences.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Harmon had an issue with sexual harassment a few years ago, if I recall. But instead of denying it when the accusations came to light, he owned up to it and started a conversation with his accuser. Telling her he was wrong and asking for her forgiveness in a detailed and deeply personal post.

She did accept his apology and gave him credit for his honesty and sincerity in admitting he was wrong.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa - they're recasting all of Roiland's voice work and dubbing him out of the upcoming S7:
More recently, he was arrested for felony domestic battery in August 2020 (which was not made public until January 2023). After the charges were announced, multiple people came forward, with allegations of predatory behavior toward minors.

This led to him being fired from the series even though the charges were later dismissed in March 2023. But the big question after that dismissal was whether Roiland would rejoin the show or if his firing would become permanent.

French outlet Premiere spoke with Cartoon Network president Michael Ouweleen and Rick & Morty producer Steve Levy, who confirmed the show's creator/star Justin Roiland will be replaced for the show's upcoming seventh season.

He made it clear that this wouldn't be done by imitators, confirming that it was a tough decision to replace Roiland while expressing hope that "the transition will go well:"

"But it's looking good. It's a rather unique situation... I'll take an example: there have been several great Bugs Bunny voice actors, and I love what Jeff Bennett has done with them. But it's not Mel Blanc! And yet we recognize the character. I even think that for 'Rick and Morty' we will do even better... It will be fine. It'll be great."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was S7 already in the can or something?

edit: never mind. linked article notes S7 was in post production.

i know it's petty of me, but I wish they'd do something like ask him to donate all his income from the show for the season to women's shelters and teen social services, while making him take sensitivity training. that way we'd get the R&M that we're used to, but there would be some consequences and good that came out of his continued work.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That would be a great idea, but there are probably people that just don't want to work with him anymore based on what came out of the reports. Him taking classes and donating money won't fix that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's "Old Hollywood" PR, I must admit. Back in the day, you could do just about anything. If you got caught, you just sprayed some insta-tears in your face, went on a press tour, donated a ton of money, then went back to your old ways the moment society had forgotten about your transgressions. I guess it's actually good that kind of thing isn't as prevalent as it used to be. At least in situations where the offender actually did something awful (the James Gunn banishment - temporary as it was - still stands out for me as one of those instances where cancel culture was just wrong).
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No official word yet (or preview) of the changes to voice acting.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And we finally have the voice change samples. And to be honest, they sound EXACTLY like Justin's versions.

Covfefe!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

If you listen carefully, Rick sounds an awful lot like Andy Samberg.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've listened to this trailer a few times and I'd be hard pressed to tell if it was pre or post Justin if put to the test.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rick sounds identical to me. Morty sounds slightly different - a little less of his whine.

Regardless, looking forward to yelling, "I'm a leg Morty!" for the next 6+ months at every opportunity. :wink:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Weird. Rick definitely sounds different to me. Harder to tell with Morty because he had fewer lines in the trailer, but he seemed off, too. Not enough in either case to bother me, but I noticed.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Close enough for me. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't known.