Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Alefroth »

Enough wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:08 pm Sort of getting flashbacks of ancient Buddha's getting blown up for similar reasons.
Good thing the similarities end there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 pm On the plus side, no more fundraising on that.
Fortunately she earned only 3.4% of the vote in her primary, although I'm sure the grift continues.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

*shudder*
Enough

Post by Enough »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:20 pm
Enough wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:08 pm Sort of getting flashbacks of ancient Buddha's getting blown up for similar reasons.
Good thing the similarities end there.
Somehow I am not comforted.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So I guess bombing shit is the right way to go.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So we have our own Taliban now. Great. What other pieces of art, history or culture will they destroy next?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:43 pm

*shudder*
At what point will Christianity accept that God prefers They/Them pronouns.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 am

At what point will Christianity accept that God prefers They/Them pronouns.
Only in plural. There is no gender ambiguity. Trinity is between one man-god, his father and 1 ghost!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. The trinity was part of my joke.

But more seriously, if anything should transcend gender, it should be a monotheist god.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:16 am Yeah. The trinity was part of my joke.

But more seriously, if anything should transcend gender, it should be a monotheist god.
"People, I've got aaaaalllll the parts!"

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:16 am Yeah. The trinity was part of my joke.

You would make a good Episcopalian.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Heh. Only I soooo wouldn’t.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:37 pm So we have our own Taliban now. Great. What other pieces of art, history or culture will they destroy next?
FWIW, the Georgia "guide stones" sculpture was paid for and set up by a weird Libertarian in the 1980s. (See the John Oliver video above.)

This is creepy political extremists chasing their own tail.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hmm. We've got to point where there are extremists battling each other for market share in our burgeoning extremist-ready population. It was such that you used to have to just trick people into joining your cult. Now you've got to show them you're the best cult. Sounds like an opportunity for tax free earning! OO cult anybody?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:37 pm So we have our own Taliban now. Great. What other pieces of art, history or culture will they destroy next?
FWIW, the Georgia "guide stones" sculpture was paid for and set up by a weird Libertarian in the 1980s. (See the John Oliver video above.)

Yes, but that doesn’t mean it should have been blown up. It was still a piece of history. What was done was essentially Taliban level shit.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not that it matters now, but the targeted slab was the Swahili/Hindi language slab.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, that answers my first question from yesterday. Glad I was sitting down when I read it. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm

Yes, but that doesn’t mean it should have been blown up. It was still a piece of history. What was done was essentially Taliban level shit.
Let put things in perspective. They are not destroying ancient history that has nothing to do with them. They are destroying modern crap that was put up by other people full of shit.

I get that they shouldn't blow things up - but this is not on par with what has happened in the fertile crescent with ancient ancient monuments.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wouldn't have any problem if someone went after Stone Mountain in Georgia.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm

Let put things in perspective. They are not destroying ancient history that has nothing to do with them. They are destroying modern crap that was put up by other people full of shit.
Well, in a region with history going back over 5,000 years, religious statues put up 1600 years ago aren't exactly foundational. I agree that it's a massive loss that dwarfs the Guidestones but it's a different ballgame.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:59 pm

I get that they shouldn't blow things up - but this is not on par with what has happened in the fertile crescent with ancient ancient monuments.
That's your perspective. Here's mine:

The Taliban destroys things it feels go against its Muslim religion.
This person or group destroyed something it most likely felt was going against its Christian religion.

Fundamentally, same thing. If we start judging such acts based only on whether or not we care if a particular structure, historical icon, etc. was destroyed, we've lost sight of what matters.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Destroying the Mona Lisa is just entirely different (imo) from destroying a child’s art project.

Both ugly acts of the destruction of art. Fundamentally the same exact thing.

I guess being an atheist, I don’t care as much about the sacred label of ‘religion’ , but I still put a good deal of value on antiquity for the sake of understanding history.

If I put up a status of Jesus today, and you knock it over tomorrow, I don’t put that on the same level as the destruction of a 2000 year old temple. But I guess maybe that’s just my perspective.

/edit: wording
Last edited by Unagi on Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:47 am Destroying the Mona Lisa is just fundamental different (imo) from destroying a child’s art project.
Not if the reason for both was based on religious intolerance. Again, we can't start making judgement calls on what can and can't be destroyed in the name of religion. It's either wrong or it's okay. If we fail to condemn it across the board, we risk losing more and more. Then one day we'll wake up and all the Francis Bacon paintings will be missing.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can agree that it’s wrong and yet still hold firm in my opinion that there are degrees of ‘wrong’

Also. The taliban does a fuck ton more than destroy religious monuments, so if you want me to compare this perpetrator to the taliban, I’d like to hear about more than a pile of rocks that were blown up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:55 am I can agree that it’s wrong and yet still hold firm in my opinion that there are degrees of ‘wrong’

Also. The taliban does a fuck ton more than destroy religious monuments, so if you want me to compare this perpetrator to the taliban, I’d like to hear about more than a pile of rocks that were blown up.
We’re not discussing any other atrocities. That’s irrelevant to this topic. That they do other horrible things in no way negates or even diminishes my assertion that destroying structures, art, or anything based solely on religious intolerance is wrong and should be condemned.

I repeat: this was some Taliban level shit.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:55 am I can agree that it’s wrong and yet still hold firm in my opinion that there are degrees of ‘wrong’

We’re not discussing any other atrocities. That’s irrelevant to this topic. That they do other horrible things in no way negates or even diminishes my assertion that destroying structures, art, or anything based solely on religious intolerance is wrong and should be condemned.
Ok. “So we’ve got our own Taliban now, Great. “

To me, that sounds like a pretty big fucking leap. Knowing what my mind thinks of when the word Taliban is mentioned, and knowing that Americans deface and destroy symbols of religion here too. You man not be ‘discussing any other atrocities’, but when you say that “we have our own Taliban now”, you are actually inviting that conversation.

But sure. Insist you are right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:05 am But sure. Insist you are right.
Will do, and you continue to insist you're right. Have a good day.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 amI repeat: this was some Taliban level shit.
FWIW my take is that without knowing who or why they did it...this is a massive leap. It could be but I sort of doubt it. Violent religious intolerance is never right but is not all the same. This is probably something very specific to an individual versus part of a movement.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did preface an earlier post with "most likely" and then peppered a qualitative "if" into my repeated condemnation of the act. If it turns out this wasn't done by some religious group in the name of whatever denomination or cause they support, then of course I will change my tone.

As for massive leaps in the context of hyperbole, have you read some of the posts around here on the situation with the Supreme Court, Trump, January 6th and the GOP in general? I'd say I was almost tame in comparison. :wink:
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am I did preface an earlier post with "most likely" and the peppered "if" into my condemnation of the act. If it turns out this wasn't done by some religious group, then of course I will change my tone.

As for massive leaps in the context of hyperbole, have you read some of the posts around here on the situation with the Supreme Court, Trump, January 6th and the GOP in general? I'd say I was almost tame in comparison. :wink:
You are in quite a mood today.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, if disagreeing with someone who disagreed with you is being in "quite a mood", I guess?

p.s. did you not see the winky? the winky should have been a clue that I'm not really upset, angry or annoyed. if the power of the winky is now meaningless, then the terrorists have won.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’ll have to thank Malchior for, I guess, being the voice of reason.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:roll:
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 am I mean, if disagreeing with someone who disagreed with you is being in "quite a mood", I guess?

p.s. did you not see the winky? the winky should have been a clue that I'm not really upset, angry or annoyed. if the power of the winky is now meaningless, then the terrorists have won.
Oh I got that it was generally lighthearted and I meant the original as light pushback. Just sort of a hey - I just don't think we don't know enough to be throwing around 'It's like the Taliban'. Even if disclaimed it was later intensified. That's all I took it as. Anyway I'm not commenting on the concept of disagreement. It just seemed over the top. It's all good from my perspective. The internet kills nuance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I may have been defending my stance in a light hearted manner (in most cases...being called unreasonable did kind of annoy me), but I would like to point out that R&P has a history of over the top hyperbole from just about everyone.

My point throughout all this was to compare the Taliban's destruction of structures and icons based on religious intolerance to someone here in our country (possibly) destroying a structure based on religious intolerance. I still believe that if it does turn out this was indeed such a thing, then they're acting like the Taliban when it comes to destroying structures or icons based on religious intolerance. I mean, we've compared republicans to similar groups based on one act or decision that we found egregious...numerous times.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From the perspective of historical and cultural impact, not even remotely similar.

From the perspective of motivation and intent (to violently eliminate symbols that they disagree with on religious grounds), they're nearly identical. The thought process that we're seeing is the same one behind the Taliban's demolition of historical sites. That the target was less significant isn't the issue. The fact that the thought process is turning into action in an era when that sort of thing is being legitimized - and even cheered - is what is terrifying. Considering where this will go if (as?) it escalates leads to an unpleasant list of possibilities.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, but I still don't like the CW DC universe.* :snooty:

*Stargirl season 1 was okay though.
He won. Period.