Alzheimer's thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Alzheimer's thread

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:49 pm I got my Shingrex shots a year or two ago and was heartened by this news until I saw "We find strong protective effects of the vaccine for women but none for men".
Yeah, that's unfortunate. I noticed it as I was finishing posting, but I was too sleepy to alter my post. :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Montag

Post by Montag »

em2nought wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 pm I've been meaning to get the shingles series, I guess I just got one more reason to do it.

I wonder if it can halt the progress of dementia if it's already started? :think:
Can you provide a link for this? I hit 50 at the end of the year and I do not want to mess around with shingles.
words
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Montag wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:07 pm
em2nought wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 pm I've been meaning to get the shingles series, I guess I just got one more reason to do it.

I wonder if it can halt the progress of dementia if it's already started? :think:
Can you provide a link for this? I hit 50 at the end of the year and I do not want to mess around with shingles.
It's in Smoove_B's previous post in this thread, but here's the link it gives https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 23290253v1
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How does one know if they have dementia?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Similar symptoms to alien abduction.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:31 pm How does one know if they have dementia?
Can I be funny with my answer, or is this a serious question?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ohio State
The Self-Administered Gerocognitive Exam (SAGE) is designed to detect early signs of cognitive, memory or thinking impairments. It evaluates your thinking abilities and helps physicians to know how well your brain is working.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, in the spirit of "let's be able to have a little fun with each other" ...

I will share that many people report encounters and/or develop relationships with animals like rabbits, deer, or maybe raccoons; that begin to take on larger and larger roles in their world.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:52 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:31 pm How does one know if they have dementia?
I mainly meant it to be serious.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Draw us a clock. Seriously.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:14 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:52 pm
I mainly meant it to be serious.
Cool. Yeah. I assumed as much, and yet I also assumed you would appreciate some humor around it.
:)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:20 pm Draw us a clock. Seriously.
That's not going to work for entire younger generations. LOL It's sort of like asking them to make a phone call on a rotary phone. :lol:

brain training for dementia
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brain+traini ... n9n_e[url]
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you have to ask...wait, what was the question again?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:52 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:20 pm Draw us a clock. Seriously.
That's not going to work for entire younger generations. LOL It's sort of like asking them to make a phone call on a rotary phone. :lol:

brain training for dementia
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brain+traini ... n9n_e[url]
11:10. So much easier with a digital clock (my son bought such a watch today) or the clock on my cell phone.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update on the newly approved drug and how to get it:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Thursday granted standard approval to Eisai (4523.T) and Biogen's (BIIB.O) Leqembi for patients with Alzheimer's disease.

The FDA decision is expected to trigger broader coverage of the $26,500-a-year drug by the U.S. government's Medicare health plan for people aged 65 and older. Leqembi was granted "accelerated" FDA approval in January, but Medicare restricted coverage only to patients in clinical trials.

The FDA label for the drug says it should be started when patients are in the mild cognitive impairment or mild dementia stage of the degenerative brain disease.

The FDA recommends on Leqembi's label that doctors conduct testing for a gene called APOE4 that is associated with a higher risk of Alzheimer's as well as brain swelling associated with amyloid-lowering drugs. The FDA included a "boxed warning" that flags the risk of brain swelling on the label.

The agency does not require APOE4 genetic testing and doctors and patients will need to weigh the risk of brain swelling against the drug's potential benefits.

Around 25% of the population has one copy of the APOE4 gene, while up to 3% have two copies of the gene, according to the National Institute on Aging.

The FDA also warns that doctors should be particularly cautious when considering Leqembi for patients taking anticoagulants, which can also raise the risk of bleeding in the brain.

Eisai has estimated that the number of U.S. patients diagnosed with early Alzheimer's would total around 100,000 in Leqembi's first three years on the market.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cindy and Deirdre are two great neighbors we've known for 20+ years. Yesterday Cindy texted my wife twice, first just "Help" and then "Stolen."

Obviously this was worrisome. We tried calling Cindy but got no answer. When we then called Deirdre, she told us that Cindy was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and that it was recently getting more serious.

Cindy is only 68, which is very young for the disease. She had a head injury in a car accident a couple of years ago, and I've heard that this can accelerate the onset.

It's very sad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:36 pm
Cindy is only 68, which is very young for the disease.
Maybe the Shingles vaccine would help her if she hasn't had it yet.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That is sad. It sounds like she's already beyond qualifying for the new drugs. Wouldn't hurt to explore that with her doctor though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Obesity drugs have another superpower: taming inflammation
The latest generation of anti-obesity drugs has taken the world by storm, thanks to their effectiveness at treating diabetes and reducing weight. But these drugs also have a less well-known superpower: the ability to suppress inflammation.

Evidence suggest that the drugs classified as GLP-1 receptor agonists — a category that includes brand names such as Mounjaro and Wegovy — can reduce inflammation in the liver, kidneys and heart. The drugs even seem to dial down inflammation in the brain, leading scientists to hope that the compounds could be used to treat Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases, both of which are characterized by brain inflammation. A recent review1 listed more than 20 clinical trials that are exploring the drugs as therapies for the two conditions.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Seems like those drugs should be in the water supply. But given that they're injections that aren't covered by insurance and stop working when you stop taking them, we've got a ways to go before we get there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As someone with 20 years to retirement, I’m just glad to hear of progress.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sometimes forget you're still just a kid. :P
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks for the compliment.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isg isn’t a kid, he’s a cyborg. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon