Tom Clancy's The Division

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Brian

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division

Post by Brian »

For a while there I was playing The Division and GR: Wildlands at the same time and what really screwed me up was that the cover and and action keys were completely opposite for each game.

Foe Division it's Spacebar to enter/exit cover and CTRL to climb over cover. In Wildlands the controls are reversed so each time I switched games I would constantly create moments of panicked hilarity while leaping over cover directly into the line of fire or dancing in and out of cover while trying to advance.

Kinda dumb since they're both Ubisoft Clancy games.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's why god made remapping!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:33 am If you expect to drop guys you don't outlevel with a single clean shot, it's going to feel wrong.
Some of the snipers will get pretty darn close. At least on regular mobs. Even ones that are pretty close in level. And sometimes it's a well placed shot that puts them down. Shooting the tanks on the flame thrower guys never gets old. :wub:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess having been exposed to it before in the beta I was more prepared for the enemies to be harder to knock down, like Blackhawk mentioned. It made me concentrate more on firing in bursts, being careful of cover and dropping back to revive my health. I've put in a couple of hours and so far it's been fun. Sheesh there are a lot of things going on and also to find. I've had a few respawns but so far there haven't been any challenges I counldn't overcome in two or three tries :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, my friends and I come back to Division once in a while, and have all preordered Division 2. As long as you can get over the bullet spongy-ness of it all, the core combat is a lot of fun.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, my first question. I've just collected enough junk to craft something, according to a pop-up. It says I need to go to a crafting station, but I've looked all over Camp Hudson and can't seem to locate it. Is it there and I've missed it, or is it somewhere else?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm OK, my first question. I've just collected enough junk to craft something, according to a pop-up. It says I need to go to a crafting station, but I've looked all over Camp Hudson and can't seem to locate it. Is it there and I've missed it, or is it somewhere else?
IIRC, you cannot craft anything until you get to the base of operations at the Post Office building.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:17 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm OK, my first question. I've just collected enough junk to craft something, according to a pop-up. It says I need to go to a crafting station, but I've looked all over Camp Hudson and can't seem to locate it. Is it there and I've missed it, or is it somewhere else?
IIRC, you cannot craft anything until you get to the base of operations at the Post Office building.
OK, that makes sense. Off to the post office!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Also, beyond the tutorial there isn't much point in crafting anything until you are max level. You are constantly replacing your gear with on-level drops.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:00 pm Also, beyond the tutorial there isn't much point in crafting anything until you are max level. You are constantly replacing your gear with on-level drops.
Good because the crafting seems more complicated than I care to delve into.

I have been a little miffed because I was playing a virus investigation encounter which required me to turn on an initial scanner and then find and turn on a second one in two and a half minutes. I played it five times before I convinced myself, via the distance meter and the up/down indicator arrows, that the second scan had been spawned inside a building which I couldn't accesss :doh:

Otherwise however I'm really enjoying the game. It scratches the itch of an open world, run around and shoot at things, don't worry too much about the story game :horse:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You likely can get to it. But sometimes you have to climb up to a roof, then drop down the fire escape, then climb through an open window.... etc, etc, etc.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... never played this before and decided to pick it up on the cheap from GMG. One annoying part is it always wants admin permission to start up but haven't tried to do anything about that yet. Sorry but how exactly does one solo this? Is it just a matter of staying out of the Dark Zones I've read about? Got to the Post Office last night where there seem to be other players zooming around but wasn't sure if they were real peoples or more like... bots. :|
-mf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Outside the Dark Zone it is basically solo. You should only see other people in the safe houses. I'm surprised you are seeing people in your base. There is a part that has other people, but it's not really part of the base. You have to go to the back and down the stairs. I don't know what that area is actually called, but it's open. Everywhere else in your base should be just yours.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You can happily solo the dark zone too, for the record. You just might get ganked, but they can only take a portion of your contaminated loot and dark zone bucks I think.... which might not be a happy time, but that's life errr... death in the DZ. You can get close to top tier gear without ever wandering into the dark zone or grouping up.
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 pm I have been a little miffed because I was playing a virus investigation encounter which required me to turn on an initial scanner and then find and turn on a second one in two and a half minutes. I played it five times before I convinced myself, via the distance meter and the up/down indicator arrows, that the second scan had been spawned inside a building which I couldn't accesss :doh:
That stuff is not randomly spawned, they are in fixed locations and they are all reachable. As TheMix said it just may not be obvious how to reach them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 pm I have been a little miffed because I was playing a virus investigation encounter which required me to turn on an initial scanner and then find and turn on a second one in two and a half minutes. I played it five times before I convinced myself, via the distance meter and the up/down indicator arrows, that the second scan had been spawned inside a building which I couldn't accesss :doh:
That stuff is not randomly spawned, they are in fixed locations and they are all reachable. As TheMix said it just may not be obvious how to reach them.
Hmm, then it is well hidden. Oddly, I did find a box with a laptop on it at a location which would have seemed to be a good spot for the second virus scanner, but in spite of me moving around it, I never got an indication to activate it. I figured it was just set decoration. I'll go back and give it all another look.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:05 am
Hmm, then it is well hidden. Oddly, I did find a box with a laptop on it at a location which would have seemed to be a good spot for the second virus scanner, but in spite of me moving around it, I never got an indication to activate it. I figured it was just set decoration. I'll go back and give it all another look.
If it's on the roof, then that's probably where you send the data. After you activate all the scanners.

Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:31 am Outside the Dark Zone it is basically solo. You should only see other people in the safe houses. I'm surprised you are seeing people in your base. There is a part that has other people, but it's not really part of the base. You have to go to the back and down the stairs. I don't know what that area is actually called, but it's open. Everywhere else in your base should be just yours.
Thanks. I don't recall if it's a base or a safe house, it's wherever you go when you first start up and report for duty.
-mf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:31 am Outside the Dark Zone it is basically solo. You should only see other people in the safe houses. I'm surprised you are seeing people in your base. There is a part that has other people, but it's not really part of the base. You have to go to the back and down the stairs. I don't know what that area is actually called, but it's open. Everywhere else in your base should be just yours.
Thanks. I don't recall if it's a base or a safe house, it's wherever you go when you first start up and report for duty.
Ah. That's not your base. It's most like a safe house. You'll know your base when you get there. First you walk through a decontamination area. Then you immediately get hit with lots of tutorial info telling you what you need to do next. :) Plus, there will be some colored stripes on the floors directing you to the three main sections.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and "generally speaking" (I think), safe houses will give you side missions. Your base will give you main quest missions. Those will likely reward you with resources for one of your three base sections (medical, security, tech). For the safe houses, you'll want to both talk to the local contact and check the bulletin board. Hitting both of those will give you all the side quests for the area.

Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am
Ah. That's not your base. It's most like a safe house. You'll know your base when you get there. First you walk through a decontamination area. Then you immediately get hit with lots of tutorial info telling you what you need to do next. :) Plus, there will be some colored stripes on the floors directing you to the three main sections.
Thanks again.

Since I'm "WFH" on this snow day, decided to crank the game up... as you said, it's a "Safe House" in Brooklyn and it's crawling with people right now. Sheesh. And as I exit the game I hear someone say "Hey, don't walk away from me!". :ninja:
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:42 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:05 am
If it's on the roof, then that's probably where you send the data. After you activate all the scanners.
Well, that makes sense as to why it wasn't responsive! Thanks for point this out, I'm now thinking that the second scanner is closer to the first scanner on the path to the roof, rather than on the roof. Back to Chelsea!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, I've found that there is generally a "logical" path that leads from one scanner to the next, and eventually to the roof. The problem being that if you take a left instead of a right, it stops being "logical" and just gets confusing. :D

But usually it's along the lines of "one on each floor", etc.

Wait until you hit the one in the mall. That one was really confusing.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm Wait until you hit the one in the mall. That one was really confusing.
Ugh. I recall.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm Wait until you hit the one in the mall. That one was really confusing.
Ugh. I recall.
:lol:

Pretty sure that one took me 2 tries.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried and tried to get into The Division 2 but it has some janky slow down where off and on its like Im in thick molasses and it happens all the time. So went back and made a new guy in The Division 1. Figured Id try all the new stuff. But damn for some reason it is extremely difficult. Im dying left and right. I cant even finish the medic mission across from the post office base. The last guy just flat out kills me if I stick my head out. In fact last try..I think my 12th...he shot me through the wall. I just alt f4'd it. So much trouble. Oh well.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's been a while, but iirc the trick with the boss on that mission was to hunker down in cover while he's blazing away, then pop up and shoot him in the face while he reloads. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I know. Ive played this mission at least 6 times with older characters. Just seems the entire play this time is tougher..even the stuff getting here has been harder. Doesn't help I have no health kits or armor so as soon as I pop out to shoot or toss a nade Im instantly about dead.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"