Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Pyperkub »

Interesting project by Kaepernick:
Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick announced the start of a new initiative to offer free second autopsies to family members of anyone whose death is "police-related."

The Autopsy Initiative, offered through Kaepernick's Know Your Rights Camp organization, will provide free, secondary autopsies conducted by board-certified pathologists who will disclose the preliminary findings and issue the final autopsy reports to families.

The autopsy can be requested by anyone with a close relationship with the victim — such as a spouse, partner, relative, close friend or lawyer. The autopsy must be authorized by a legal representative, according to the organization.
Nice way to ensure transparency for victims, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Does it really take a second autopsy to determine "died by gunshot"?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

wow...
Florida Sheriff says he prefers if people shoot home invaders, and please when you do, try your best to shoot-to-kill. Think you may need help with that - they have a course you can take...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flori ... b2da91ce15
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:29 pm Does it really take a second autopsy to determine "died by gunshot"?
A lot of them are classified using shoddy science or pseudo-scientific syndromes to excuse deaths in police custody such as 'excited delirium'.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ouch.

Former Police Officer and Boston Police Union President Pleas Guilty Child R**e Charges [6 children over 27-years]

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Freaking Racist Southern Sheriffs/Deputies on Power Trips...
Video accompanying the story taken by DSU player Saniya Craft shows an officer saying, "If there is anything in y’all’s luggage, we’re probably gonna find it, OK? I’m not looking for a little bit of marijuana but I’m pretty sure you guys’ chaperones are probably gonna be disappointed in you if we find any."

By that time, Liberty County Sheriff’s Office deputies had begun removing players’ bags from the vehicle’s cargo bay to search after asking Jones to open it. Police had a drug-sniffing dog at the scene.

Deputies knew those on board were on a lacrosse team.
And yes, Delaware State is an HBCU

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I just read about that online. Sounds like a Georgia sheriff needs to get his ass reamed. No excuse for what his officers did.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Joisey
According to the state judiciary, 501,699 summonses were issued in the five years between 2017 and 2021 for license plate violations. The most summonses were written in 2019, with 127,680 issued.

If there is an indication of how annoying this infraction is, two legislators from two different parties proposed bills in both houses of the state legislature to relax the current law.

Even the state Supreme Court in August ruled about the validity of two traffic stops made by police for the license plate violations that resulted in arrests for more serious charges. It also addressed strict enforcement and ticketing that have been the bane of drivers for years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Civil Asset forfeiture is so corrupt...

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Arizona police placed on leave after watching man drown
Three police officers in Arizona have been placed on leave after they failed to rescue a homeless man from drowning.

Newly released bodycam footage and transcripts show the man, Sean Bickings, 34, getting into Tempe Town Lake last month and warning police he was "going to drown".

But none of the officers on the scene intervened to save him, with one heard saying: "I'm not jumping in after you."

Mr Bickings soon slipped underwater and was later declared dead.

Describing him as "an unsheltered Tempe community member", city authorities called his death a "tragedy".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

We am so tired of this stuff:

Nothing is going to change until people are held accountable with severe consequences.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Four US police officers have been arrested and charged over the fatal 2020 shooting of Breonna Taylor.
Only one officer involved in the raid - former Louisville detective Brett Hankinson - had been previously charged over the case.

But Mr Hankinson, who fired 10 shots during the incident, was acquitted by a jury earlier this year. He is among the four people to face new charges through the US Department of Justice.

The others are Joshua Jaynes, also a former officer, and serving officers Kelly Hanna Goodlett and Kyle Meany.

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the new charges. He said the officers were being charged with civil rights offenses, unlawful conspiracy, unconstitutional use of force and obstruction.

Mr Garland added that three of the officers - all but Mr Hankinson - had been charged with falsification of a search warrant.

Mr Hankinson is charged with using excessive force when he opened fire during the raid.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

On the lighter side of cops behaving badly (but still appalling):

As a favor to a buddy, the sheriff of San Mateo, CA, raided the world's only licensed manufacturer of 1960s Batmobile replicas... in Indiana.
Holy political favors, Batman! That's the allegation against San Mateo County Sheriff Carlos Bolanos for sending a four-man team across the country last week, to raid the garage that builds Batmobiles.

Turns out, one of the sheriff's friends ordered a Batmobile and wasn't happy with how long it's taking.

Your public money paid for the trip last week by the sheriff's investigators - four round-trip plane tickets, three nights of hotels, meals, rental cars, and a lot of overtime.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Suffolk County, Long Island Cops obstruct accident investigation

The TLDR; is an off-duty cop rear-ended a car slowing to make a left turn. The impact was estimated to be at 50 miles per hour badly injuring a 2-year old. Responding officers wanted to breathalyze him but fellow officers physically removed him from the scene and then lied in official reports. Somehow none of this is a crime.
An off-duty Suffolk County police officer who fractured a 2-year-old boy’s skull when he rear-ended a car with his pickup truck was allowed by his fellow officers to forgo an alcohol test, according to an extensive investigation from Newsday.

Because officers broke protocol and failed to administer a test, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office was unable to pursue vehicular assault charges against Officer David Mascarella.

The officers involved also failed to notify the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office that Mascarella had refused to take a breathalyzer test, which prevented the DA from deciding to seek a warrant for a blood test which could have verified if he was drunk during the accident.

Officers from the precinct Mascarella works at responded to the crash and broke protocol to protect him from undergoing alcohol tests.

A detective told Sgt. Lawrence McQuade he wanted to administer a breathalyzer test, but McQuade instead contacted Officer Joseph Russo, a Suffolk County Police Benevolent Association delegate. Russo drove Mascarella away from the scene of the crash before he could be tested.

Officer Kevin Wustenhoff lied to a supervisor that he had given Mascarella a breath test and that he had passed, an anonymous law enforcement source told Newsday.

Wustenhoff later retracted his report.

Three hours after the crash, Deputy Inspector Mark Fisher finally asked Mascarella to take a breath test, and the off-duty officer refused.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unhinged conduct but the town is a model for how police conduct should be supervised.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

See, some cops would look at a traffic stop like that as a welcome thing. Turns out to be low danger with a compliant citizen. Run the plates and lD, and send her on her way.

Other cops, this new breed, are pissed because there's no apparent conflict and can't turn off badass dickhead mode.

And yes, it is common advice not to pull over in the middle of nowhere if you have a choice.

What also struck me is if there was a threat in that SUV in the back seat, he was oblivious to it. Having the driver get out and walk away from the vehicle split his attention and he was an easy target. He made himself more vulnerable by being a dickhead.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My rage is palpable. Happened in a NJ community:
The township cut down all of the shade trees that once lined Town Square in a controversial move designed to prevent homeless people from spending time there.

“They (homeless people) were harassing people, defecating between the cars and residents were complaining,” [Mayor] Coles said.
All shade trees at Lakewood Town Square were cut down last Aug. 8.

Claudia Romero, who works in a tax preparation company across from the Town Square, said that one day she found human feces on the sidewalk in front of her office and then submitted a complaint to the township. The township did not say how many complaints it received.
But wait, you say, why is this posted here? Because:
Mayor Ray Coles said the decision was made after a recommendation from the Police Department Quality of Life Unit, which the township said was triggered by numerous complaints from residents and township employees about homeless people defecating and urinating in the area.
The police said to cut down all the trees. Again, the POLICE said to cut down all the trees. Are you fucking kidding me??

I get that this thread is typically focused on police officers shooting people, but this is outrageous.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The police recommended that the trees.be cut down. Who took the unqualified advice of armed arborists and put saw to wood?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is weird behavior for NJ...oh Lakewood...enough said. In any case, this feels like the police stepped up to soak up the blame because they are the most unaccountable group in the government. Perhaps they'll get rewarded for it at contract time...pure NJ shenanigans.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:12 am The police recommended that the trees.be cut down. Who took the unqualified advice of armed arborists and put saw to wood?
Oh, the local mayor and city council should be tossed over this, but the idea that the cops would think to even offer an opinion (apparently their best recommendation) about trees is crazy. The town has a Shadetree Commission (I checked).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:04 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:12 am The police recommended that the trees.be cut down. Who took the unqualified advice of armed arborists and put saw to wood?
Oh, the local mayor and city council should be tossed over this, but the idea that the cops would think to even offer an opinion (apparently their best recommendation) about trees is crazy. The town has a Shadetree Commission (I checked).
George Washington, they are not.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why didn't the police just do their job and move them out or arrest those that were breaking the law...like shitting in public. Or they could have helped them somehow and moved them to temp motel accommodations and helped get work for them or disability to the ones that need it. Geez. Nice town they got there.

Thats like saying gas stations and jewelry stores attract armed robbers so instead of arresting the criminals you just burn down the stores instead.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:18 pm Why didn't the police just do their job and move them out or arrest those that were breaking the law...like shitting in public. Or they could have helped them somehow and moved them to temp motel accommodations and helped get work for them or disability to the ones that need it. Geez. Nice town they got there.

Thats like saying gas stations and jewelry stores attract armed robbers so instead of arresting the criminals you just burn down the stores instead.
They were there legally so they can't forcibly remove them. And I'm not sure if shitting in public is something they would do stakeouts for, if it's even arrestable. It may just be a ticket.

Cops aren't social workers and they can't force people to go to shelters or get jobs.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:42 pm Cops aren't social workers and they can't force people to go to shelters or get jobs.
When all you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

When all you have is a chainsaw, you treat everything like a tree.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:44 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:42 pm Cops aren't social workers and they can't force people to go to shelters or get jobs.
When all you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail...
Amy town with a burgeoning homeless problem should make social workers/social services their top hiring priority. Instead they usually spend on PR/Marketing and law enforcement.

We have several just for the homeless that come through the ER.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cops aren't social workers and they can't force people to go to shelters or get jobs.
I didn't mention cops doing that. meant the town.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:49 pm
I didn't mention cops doing that. meant the town.
Why didn't the police just do their job and move them out or arrest those that were breaking the law...like shitting in public. Or they could have helped them somehow and moved them to temp motel accommodations and helped get work for them or disability to the ones that need it.
It sounded like it to me but fair enough. But their job isn't to to move them out or arrest them when they haven't committed a crime (being in a public place) either.

Hysterical Mayor: "Arrest them!! The chamber is breathing down my neck and my al fresco dining experience has not been good!!"
Cops: "We can't. They aren't breaking any laws."
HM: "What do we do? OMG????!!"
Cops: "Uh, I dunno, cut down the trees? Play loud music?"
HM: " You're recommending that we cut down all the trees? Ok!"
Cops: "We'll, no but I mean maybe? Less shade? And Mr. Bungle usually works..."
HM: "Get me Streets and San!"

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rarely do you see a cop so gleeful to bust another cop:

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Wow.

What actually happened: During a suicide call, a Detroit cop shot their partner while aiming *at a dog,* who did not even belong to the person police were there to see.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Officers responded to a suicide call at around 4:45 p.m Sunday. When officers approached the home, a neighbor was letting her American Bulldog out, and the dog charged at the officers.

Officers attempted to retreat, officials said. One officer fired a shot at the dog but missed and hit their partner in the leg.
That's just some bad timing, bad shooting, and irrational fear of dogs.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nothing soothes a suicidal person like shooting their dog.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:34 pm Nothing soothes a suicidal person like shooting their dog.
Wasn't suicidal person's dog, it was a neighbor who was letting their own dog out. And the dog wasn't shot, a cop was.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:39 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:34 pm Nothing soothes a suicidal person like shooting their dog.
Wasn't suicidal person's dog, it was a neighbor who was letting their own dog out. And the dog wasn't shot, a cop was.
...by the other cop, who was shooting at the dog. And shooting the neighbor's dog isn't especially calming, either.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:46 pm
...by the other cop, who was shooting at the dog. And shooting the neighbor's dog isn't especially calming, either.
Right, but "Nothing soothes a suicidal person like shooting their dog" isn't the right take.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:16 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:46 pm
Right, but "Nothing soothes a suicidal person like shooting their dog" isn't the right take.
I could've worded it less obliquely. I meant to point out the irony of cops responding to a potential suicide by shooting at a dog. I wonder what happened to the suicidal person. Maybe they hated that dog and this gave them reason to live. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cops and their guns..thats always their first and only response these days it seems..gun gun.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote:Cops and their guns..thats always their first and only response these days it seems..gun gun.
Bingo! There is something seriously wrong with how police use of force is trained

malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:45 am
Daehawk wrote:Cops and their guns..thats always their first and only response these days it seems..gun gun.
Bingo! There is something seriously wrong with how police use of force is trained
Meanwhile this is how UK police dealt with a man who had previously stabbed fellow officers. The 2 injured don't refer to anyone in this video. It isn't ideal to be sure -- there is no ideal -- but the overuse of deadly force here in the US is a choice.