stimpy

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this

To understand how cops' priority is their own power, not public safety, this story of a cop arresting a firefighter for parking wrong while the firefighter was trying to save lives is a clear explainer. Want to frame this as an explainer, not breaking news, both because it happened back in 2014 and because it's such a clear example of cops' priorities. We see this type of thing all the time, but rarely as clearly as this story. Here not listening to the cop is a violation that must be addressed urgently. It takes priority over the firefighter trying to save lives. We see this frequently. At protests cops will often stop medics from stepping in when people are injured, because teaching protesters the lesson that you don't mess with cops is more important than that person's health or well being. Or even life.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I dug into that last week. Apparently there is a long running dispute between the state highway patrol and local firefighters about blocking lanes during rescues. This has happened a few times. The police don't want the firetruck in the travel lanes and the firefighters are saying 'are you crazy?' They obviously prefer allowing these idiot cops to parade someone in cuffs and see who the public sides with rather than risk severe injury. It's a no brainer.

Edit: I love this new trend where the police refuse to release names of officers. I mean I hate it. They have impunity already but heaven forbid people establish an independent record of police misconduct.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This is rather disturbing, especially if the investigation allegations are true...

LAPD officer Houston Tipping died after a training exercise during which he was beaten & slammed to the ground by other cops. Now his lawyer says at the time he died he was investigating a gang rape by 4 cops, at least one of whom was part of the exercise.
This article from the thread has a bit of information, tho not on the investigation:
LAPD declined on Thursday, June 30, to comment on what kind of exercise Tipping was engaged in during the training, saying the department doesn’t comment during pending litigation.

In an earlier press release on May 31, the department said Tipping was grappling with another officer during training when Tipping fell to the floor and “suffered a catastrophic spinal cord injury.”

Gage said that he didn’t buy the idea that Tipping was a casualty of a tragic accident. The complaint alleges that Tipping “was the victim of intentional acts” during the training exercise.

His complaint describes a beating so severe that Tipping’s neck was broken at different vertebral levels. “I don’t understand how he could have all the different types of serious injuries that he had — except for being beaten to death,” Gage said in an interview with the Daily News. “It’s just impossible. It’s just too many.”

Gage said Tipping suffered a broken neck, paralysis of his arms and legs, a damaged liver, and head wounds requiring stitches.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"It's my right to roll up my window"

"No it's not".

WT-everloving-F? :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What the fuck
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The "good" news is this appears to be old and there has been restitution

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/kelle ... s/2534006/
The city of Keller has agreed to pay $200,000 to a man who was pepper-sprayed and arrested after he videotaped a police officer who pulled over his son for making a wide right turn, according to the father’s attorney.
No punishment to the officers. They were following orders. The PiC was demoted.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Keller is just West of Southlake.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh dear lord...
Steven Victor Abreu, 30, was fired from the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office and charged with second-degree rape, fourth-degree sexual offense, second-degree assault, false imprisonment, sexual contact while a person is in law enforcement custody and three counts of misconduct in office following an internal investigation into an alleged October incident involving a 27-year-old victim identified in the affidavit only as "JA."

Since Abreu's arrest, Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis said an additional six to seven victims have come forward.

The charges range in degree of severity from women who Abreu allegedly spoke to inappropriately during traffic stops and exchanged phone numbers with to one encounter involving Abreu having sexual intercourse with a woman.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And meanwhile, in the Philippines:
Police in the Philippines have accused the country’s prisons chief of ordering the killing of a prominent radio journalist whose death sparked international alarm.

Percival Mabasa, 63, who went by the name Percy Lapid on his programme, was shot dead in a Manila suburb on 3 October as he drove to his studio.

Police alleged on Monday that the bureau of corrections director general, Gerald Bantag, who is currently suspended from duty, was behind the murder along with his deputy security officer Ricardo Zulueta.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is that a cane in your pocket or are you just happy to not see me?
A sheriff’s deputy stopped a legally blind man walking down the street in northern Florida on Oct. 31, thinking the object in his back pocket might be a gun. It turned out to be a walking cane.

Even though she quickly learned he wasn’t armed, the encounter escalated: James Hodges refused to give the deputy his ID, and she handcuffed him with the help of her sergeant. Still, after making sure Hodges had no outstanding warrants for his arrest, the deputy seemed like she was about to let him go.

“All right, Mr. Hodges,” Columbia County Sheriff’s Deputy Jayme Gohde said, according to body-camera footage of the incident. “Was that that hard?”

With his hands cuffed behind his back, Hodges turned his head toward her. “It’s going to be. I want your name and your badge number.”

Her supervisor, Sgt. Randy Harrison, had had enough.

“You know what, put him in jail for resisting.”

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Former Virginia cop apparently hits on teenager, kidnaps her and murders her family...
According to police, Edwards had developed an online relationship with the teen and obtained her personal information. He then traveled from Virginia to Riverside, where he parked his vehicle in a neighbor’s driveway and walked to the teen’s home, the release stated. At some point, authorities believe Edwards murdered the teen’s grandfather, grandmother and mother before walking back to his vehicle with the teen and leaving.

Several hours after the bodies were found, Edwards was spotted driving with the teen through San Bernardino County, police said.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's important to note that this scumbag actually "catfished" the teen. He pretended to be someone he wasn't in order to get her personal information. As far as I know, she's a victim in this.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

According to the release, Edwards exchanged gunfire with the San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies attempting to stop him, was shot by deputies, and was later pronounced dead at the scene.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I saw "former cop" and then saw that he was only 28 so I figured he got kicked because he was a POS. Nope, per the official story. He recently left the VA State Troopers for a new job in Washington County, VA and was in orientation. Still, you wonder why he left 10 months after graduation.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/wh ... er-28-2022
Edwards was hired by the Virginia State Police and entered the police academy on July 6, 2021, Virginia State Police Public Relations Manager Corinne Geller told The Associated Press in an email. He graduated as a trooper on Jan. 21, 2022, and was assigned to Henrico County within the agency’s Richmond Division until his resignation on Oct. 28.

Edwards was hired as a deputy in Washington County, Virginia, on Nov. 16 and had begun orientation to be assigned to the patrol division, the sheriff's office said in a statement. During the hiring process, “no employers disclosed any troubles, reprimands, or internal investigations pertaining to Edwards,” the statement said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh dear lord is this guy an idiot - why does SWAT need snipers then?

And the whole damn thread is f*cking bonkers with how stupid the SF supervisors are:

Holy shit. 🧵

So after @mguariglia
bringing it to my attention, I watched the San Francisco Board of Supervisors hearing on the SFPD's request for authority to arm robots. It is totally, totally unhinged. https://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/player/clip/42

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas was savvy enough to blow up our sniper with an ersatz suicide bot.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We're going to run over your house with a battering ram/tank with our SWAT team looking for a stolen iPhone...
Denver police officers dressed in military-style SWAT gear on Jan. 4 descended on Johnson’s Montbello home to serve a search warrant. Johnson, in her bathrobe, opened her door when an officer on a bullhorn told anyone inside to come out. Officers carrying rifles stood on her lawn next to an armored tactical vehicle. One officer held the leash of a German shepherd K9.

Once inside her home, Johnson said, they smashed a door to her garage with a battering ram, broke apart a ceiling panel, broke the head off of a beloved collectible doll and left the house in disarray.

They were looking for a stolen iPhone that had pinged near her home. The iPhone was believed to be inside a stolen truck along with several guns. But police found nothing inside Johnson’s home.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Data on Police shootings - New League records!:
As part of its investigation, The Post began in 2015 to log every person shot and killed by an on-duty police officer in the United States. Since then, reporters have recorded thousands of deaths. In 2022, The Post updated its database to standardize and publish the names of the police agencies involved in each shooting to better measure accountability at the department level.
How 2022 compares with previous calendar years

The number of fatal police shootings has risen slightly in recent years. Police killed the highest number of people on record in 2021.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cops behaving like tourists.
A Chicago police officer vacationing in Florida was arrested Monday after he allegedly urinated in an ice machine at a beachfront bar...

...Documents allege Capouch pushed the employee and later resisted law enforcement, who took Capouch into custody while he was on the beach.

Capouch bonded out and was charged with battery and disorderly conduct.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, the population of cops who would lie on their application would probably have a higher percentage of fraud elsewhere too...
The FBI and state criminal investigation of East Contra Costa police officers began with allegations of cops conspiring to fraudulently obtain college degrees to collect pay bumps, this news organization has learned.

What started out as suspected salary fraud quickly snowballed. On cell phones seized by authorities, investigators uncovered evidence of other potential crimes — and more officers to look into.

Now, with indictments expected by year’s end, the probe has swelled to encompass at least a dozen Antioch and Pittsburg police officers, and a growing list of crimes including premeditated civil rights violations, falsifying reports, using and distributing steroids, using cocaine, and accepting bribes while on patrol.

This picture of rampant criminality in the ranks of law enforcement — with key players connected through a web of personal and professional relationships — is emerging with new clarity through dozens of interviews with law enforcement investigators, fellow police officers, defense attorneys for the suspects, and city officials, most of whom have asked that they not be identified because of the sensitive status of the investigation.

It is the most shocking set of allegations against Bay Area police officers in at least a decade. Already, one Pittsburg officer, Armando Montalvo, has been charged by the Contra Costa District Attorney with possessing and selling assault weapons, while dozens of criminal cases tainted by the participation of rogue police have been thrown out of court. Meanwhile, a federal grand jury is weighing criminal charges against implicated officers, according to the law enforcement sources.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Interesting that things have gotten so bad that this thread wasn't refreshed with the Memphis police/murderers.

This is not a comment on us, or OO - but more on how we don't even need to share this here as it immediately needs to be part of the police reform conversation. Another thread. We've come a long way.

Anyhow, I just wanted to register my continued disgust and distrust of the police. The excuses/explanations that get showered on the police, in general, seriously depress me. Imagine if we had a group of teachers that all teamed up on a child and raped them - this is the equivalent breach of trust from the institution and absolutely every single effort should be put forth to be sure that people like this can just NEVER be cops. And I shudder to think about just how many cops out there are of this quality. I realize it's a small fraction - but holy shit, could you imagine if school teachers had the reputation that police are getting?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:32 am I realize it's a small fraction - but holy shit, could you imagine if school teachers had the reputation that police are getting?
In certain circles, they are.

Been hearing entirely too much lately about how school teachers are “groomers” and “perverts” because they dare mention that LGBT people exist.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:59 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:32 am I realize it's a small fraction - but holy shit, could you imagine if school teachers had the reputation that police are getting?
In certain circles, they are.

Been hearing entirely too much lately about how school teachers are “groomers” and “perverts” because they dare mention that LGBT people exist.
Well, sure there is that... but that's not really a reply to "could you imagine if we actually had teams of teachers physically attacking kids" because that would quickly be a non-partisan problem we would all agree to. And yet we live in a world where the police forces across this country are seen time-and-time-again to contain these elements for real. And we sit around and conduct studies to figure out if it's more or less likely to be a result of military experience.

I know my thoughts are half-baked and immature on this, but frankly, it seems like the institution has a problem in vetting and managing its workforce. To a degree, for example, that would NEVER be tolerated in our educational system...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:32 am Interesting that things have gotten so bad that this thread wasn't refreshed with the Memphis police/murderers.
Brian brought it up on Friday.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, in a tangential way - sure. I just thought it deserved a quick mention over here too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Certainly not my intent to police when and where anyone posts, merely pointing out that there was a discussion in a non-obvious location.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, I would hardly call what you did 'policing'... I mean you didn't even lay a finger on me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:auto-rally: :violence-hammer:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell

@EvanLambertTV, a DC-based correspondent for @NewsNation, has been in Ohio covering the train crash. He was doing a live shot in the back of the room during a press conference-was told to stop by police, was pushed to the ground, cuffed & arrested & put in a patrol car.
Associated article:
A NewsNation reporter was arrested Wednesday during a news conference being held by the Ohio governor about a train derailment.

Correspondent Evan Lambert was giving a live report during NewsNation’s “Rush Hour” when he was told by law enforcement personnel at the news conference to be quiet because Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine was speaking.

The charges Lambert is facing are disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.

Preston Swigart, a photographer who was with Lambert, said Lambert was approached by police who asked him to stop talking. The news conference was being held in a gymnasium at East Palestine Elementary School.

“From their standpoint, he didn’t obey orders when he was told to stop talking,” Swigart said. “Gymnasiums are echoey and loud and sound kind of carries, so I’m guessing that they just didn’t like the fact that there was sound competing with the governor speaking, even though it was all the way at the other end of the room.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mike DeWine was asked about it and he specifically said he didn't order it and didn't think the arrest should have happened since the reporter had a right to be doing his job.

Edit: He was just released from jail. Originally it was said he'd be held until the morning.

Edit 2: I've been watching the coverage and essentially a practicing attorney in the area basically said that this isn't surprising. He essentially said the local cops and prosecutors are the law there and they aren't used to having people looking over their shoulder. He commented that the whole thing was clearly unconstitutional, the charges they threw at him are clearly not a honest reading of the law, and as he called it "possibly a crime by officers" and they probably owes him damages. He was pretty pissed off to be honest. He also said that he wouldn't be surprised if these fools might dig in and try to actually press forward with the charges. Ugly.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Police Association Executive Director importing opioids and fentanyl to distribute...
The executive director of the San Jose Police Officers’ Association (SJPOA) has been charged with attempting to illegally import a controlled substance, according to the United States Department of Justice. Joanne Marian Segovia, 64, is accused of ordering thousands of opioids to her home and agreeing to distribute them in the United States.

A federal criminal complaint states that Segovia used her personal and office computers to order the drugs between October 2015 and January 2023, including fentanyl. At least 61 shipments were mailed to her home from countries including Hong Kong, Hungary, and India, the DOJ said.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This story is making some news n my state.

A state trooper disappeared from a medical facility earlier in the month and to try and find him, they released various photos to the news media. Some commented that his visible tattoos were white-supremacist adjacent and additional crowd sourced investigations found photos of him on social media with more concerning tattoos on his arms and hands. All of the visible tattoos would be prohibited as a working state trooper, so there are lots of questions.

Anyway, our state passed regulations that would (somehow) prohibit anyone with known associations to problematic groups from becoming a police officer, but it doesn't really address what was discovered here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cops ignore over 90% of surveillance oversight? Great... /s

https://www.theregister.com/2023/03/31/ ... nce_rules/

"According to OIG's Ninth Annual Report [PDF], the cop watchdog made 15 recommendations and the NYPD refused to implement 14 of them.

These include recommendations like identifying the organizations with which NYPD shares surveillance data: "NYPD should identify in each IUP [Impact and Use Policy] each external agency, by name, with which the Department can share surveillance data."....

...."The NYPD continues to make clear that they don’t care what the law says,” said Surveillance Technology Oversight Project executive director Albert Fox Cahn. "This report helps support what advocates have said for years: that the NYPD is violating the POST Act."

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More on how civil rights get trampled

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rt/673587/

"The cities of the Great Migration—New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Philadelphia—are home to small, tight-knit communities of experienced civil-rights lawyers. Yet few practice outside those urban areas, and they are in particularly short supply in the South. As a result, many people who have suffered clear constitutional violations can’t find a lawyer to take their case. And they are unlikely to want to go it alone. Winning is hard even when you have a lawyer; you’re almost certain to lose if you don’t."

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Now we have machine guns too Ho-Ho-Ho... whoopsie, it's the Feds... MAGA Sheriff committing felonies to obtain machineguns for rental (who the hell needs to rent a machine gun?)
The six-count indictment alleges that from August 2015 to May 2022, Jenkins and Krop conspired to unlawfully purchase machineguns and falsified multiple documents on the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office letterhead requesting machineguns for evaluation and demonstration to the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office. Krop allegedly drafted these documents for Jenkins’ signature. According to the indictment, Jenkins and Krop knew that there would not be a demonstration of the machineguns to the Sheriff’s Office and that the machineguns were intended for rental to Krop’s customers. Krop also allegedly illegally possessed seven machineguns. The indictment further alleges that Krop’s business offered political support to Jenkins in recognition of his support for the business.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:14 pm (who the hell needs to rent a machine gun?)

They pay by the hour to shoot them at a range. Machine guns are highly regulated and difficult to acquire legally. As such, they're a novelty.

Ranges in Vegas print money renting out machine guns.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:38 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:14 pm (who the hell needs to rent a machine gun?)

They pay by the hour to shoot them at a range. Machine guns are highly regulated and difficult to acquire legally. As such, they're a novelty.

Fair enough - I can understand the 'for fun' motivation.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:47 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:38 pm

Fair enough - I can understand the 'for fun' motivation.
They're illegally trying to avoid the expense and additional licensing by channeling the acquisitions through the sheriff's department. Some serious ATF federal criminal shit.

MYT