Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:20 am

"We have a potential pandemic on our hands..."
"Oh. My. God. Has anyone contacted marketing????!"
If they had contracted a marketing company with COVID instead of putting scientists and doctors in the role of fish-out-of-water public speakers, we might not be where we are now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dang it, if they change it from monkeypox then we're never going to have flying monkey pox. I was emotionally invested in that becoming a thing.

Meh, I'm just going to start calling it Putin Pox and see if that catches on.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MAGAPox
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:28 am You laugh, but the number of scholars pointing out the eerie similarities to how things unfolded with AIDS in the early 1980s is really striking. And if you asked the average person right now, I'm guessing they'd say they heard it was a disease affecting homosexuals and they weren't worried. Or that it came from monkeys. No idea what they're going to name it though; I am curious.
Protuberant New Jerseyitis would convey a suitably dismal stamp of foreboding…
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:)

We did just have our first case announced earlier this week, so...

In other not-great news, polio has been found in London sewage:
Polio has been detected in sewage samples in the British capital, the first sign since the 1980s that the virus could be spreading in the country, but no cases have been found, authorities said.

The risk of infection from the disease, which causes paralysis in children in under 1% of cases, was also low because of high vaccination rates, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said.

The agency nevertheless encouraged parents to make sure their children were vaccinated after the discovery of the virus during routine wastewater surveillance – particularly those who may have missed shots during the COVID-19 pandemic.
It's a good thing we vaccinate to protect:
Nationwide vaccination levels are above the 90% needed to prevent outbreaks, but London's coverage rates among the under-twos has dipped below that in recent years.

The National Health Service in the city will begin contacting parents of children under five who are not immunised.

Polio, spread mainly through contamination by faecal matter, used to kill and paralyse thousands of children annually worldwide. There is no cure, but vaccination brought the world close to ending the wild, or naturally occurring, form of the disease.
I guess we'll see how this one works out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Super Gonorrhea
An Austrian man who had sex abroad caught a new strain of "super gonorrhea" that is resistant to most
antibiotics commonly used to treat the infection, scientists have said.

This is the second time a "super gonorrhea" strain has been detected. Another was found in 2018 in multiple countries. The term "super gonorrhea" refers to a bug that has a high level of resistance to recommended treatments, according to the World Health Organization.

If multidrug-resistant strains of gonorrhea keep spreading, many cases of the STD might become untreatable, according to the authors of a case report published on Thursday in the medical journal Eurosurveillance, which is published by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So what is it with monkeypox all of a sudden:
The strain of the virus in the current monkeypox outbreak in nonendemic countries likely diverged from the monkeypox virus that caused a 2018-19 Nigerian outbreak and has far more mutations than would be expected, several that increase transmission, according to a study today in Nature Medicine.

The study comes from Portugal's National Institute of Health in Lisbon, which was the first institution to genetically sequence the current strain behind more than 3,000 cases of monkeypox in Europe, North America, and other regions that had never seen the virus until this year.
What to do?
In another study, this one published today in The Lancet Microbe, scientists use modeling to predict what will happen in nonendemic countries if public health measures to curb ongoing outbreaks are not taken.

They predict that, without interventions, the introduction of 3 cases in a country could cause 18 secondary cases, 30 could cause 118 secondary cases, and 300 cases could cause 402 secondary cases.

Contact tracing and surveillance, isolation of symptomatic cases, and ring vaccination would reduce the number of secondary cases by up to 86.1% and the duration of the outbreak by up to 75.7%, the authors conclude.

The authors also said the outbreak is a moderate international concern. Currently, consultants to the World Health Organization are weighing if the outbreak constitutes an international public health emergency during a 2-day meeting.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:46 pm
Contact tracing and surveillance, isolation of symptomatic cases, and ring vaccination would reduce the number of secondary cases by up to 86.1% and the duration of the outbreak by up to 75.7%, the authors conclude.
I think we all know how that is going to play out. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's downright eerie how elements of the early days of Covid-19 are happening *again* with monkeypox. To be clear, not that they're in any way similar, just that you'd think maybe we'd be proactively trying to manage it. But I guess ignoring the pandemic seems to be working so lets see how ignoring this goes?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Monkeypox numbers are low in the US. Don't worry.
A misleading case count

On the surface, the monkeypox outbreak in the U.S. doesn't look that bad, especially compared with other countries. Since the international epidemic began in May, the U.S. has recorded 201 cases of monkeypox. In contrast, the U.K. has nearly 800 cases. Spain and Germany both have more than 500.

But in the U.S., the official case count is misleading, Makofane and other scientists tell NPR. The outbreak is bigger — perhaps much bigger — than the case count suggests.

For many of the confirmed cases, health officials don't know how the person caught the virus. Those infected haven't traveled or come into contact with another infected person. That means the virus is spreading in some communities and cities, cryptically.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just came here to talk about that. WtF levels are high.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You think the first pandemic was fun? At least we paid attention to that one for a while. This one is coming in at the height of 'pretend it isn't real' season - post mask, post precaution, post reality. I wonder if the mutation that gave it perfect timing for success counts as natural or artificial selection?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

But monkeypox could become endemic in the U.S. and around the world if it continues to spread unchecked.
isn't that a foregone conclusion at this point?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Are we going to need a monkeypox thread?

Biden administration announces mass #monkeypox vaccination plan. The US will release supplies of Jynneos vaccine (which requires 2 doses 4 weeks apart): 56,000 doses immediately; 240,000 doses in the coming weeks; 750,000 by summer's end; 500,000 in the fall.

The Biden administration intends to release at least 1.6 million doses of the two-dose Jynneos vaccine for #monkeypox by the end of the fall. The CDC may order more vaccine supply to arrive at the end of 2022 and into 2023. Delivery takes time b/c FDA must inspect the doses.

The CDC's initial priority for the available 56,000 #monkeypox vaccine doses is for close contacts of those with the virus. Also prioritized: men who have sex with men who have had multiple sexual partners in venues where the virus has spread or who live in high-spread areas

CDC head Rochelle Walensky told reporters today that the US has documented 306 cases of #monkeypox in 27 states plus DC. Globally, there have been more than 4,700 cases in 49 nations. She strongly urged health care providers to "have a high clinical suspicion" of the virus.

The CDC, heavily criticized for providing inadequate testing for #monkeypox during the initial weeks of the outbreak, reports that the nation now has the capacity to conduct 10,000 tests per week.

Thus far, the CDC has distributed about 10,000 doses of the two-dose Jynneos vaccine for #monkeypox, as well as 302 antiviral courses to treat the infection in 32 states.
That...is not what I expected.

EDIT: To be clear, we're already behind and having 750K+ doses by September is great, but there are genuine concerns it's going to get out of hand long before then.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"Gushing Gorge" :clap:

People are getting explosive gastroenteritis at the Grand Canyon
The outbreak is violently hollowing out visitors to the majestic canyon.

The Grand Canyon is an immense, vibrantly painted geological wonder, treasured for its awe-inspiring stratified architecture, which has been spectacularly sculpted over millions of years. Up close, it will blow your mind and take your breath away—and if you've visited recently, it may also violently flush your colon and have you projectile vomiting your granola bars.

That's right—the majestic natural wonder has been the site of a months-long outbreak of gastrointestinal illness, likely caused by norovirus. The virus was confirmed to be the cause of illnesses among at least eight rafting trips. Overall, more than 150 river rafters and backcountry campers have fallen ill since April, according to a recent update from the Grand Canyon National Park Service.

While many may have sought the outdoor grandeur in hopes of avoiding the pandemic coronavirus, it seems they were instead met with a different germ that has been savagely hollowing out innards at a pace many orders of magnitude faster than the Colorado River gutted the southwestern section of the Colorado Plateau. Amid the smoothly carved buttes and intricately chiseled chasms serenely shaped over eons, park-goers are blowing chunks from both ends in hot seconds. And instead of reaching both the North and South Rims during their visits, some are forced to remain perched on the edge of a far smaller basin.

It's unclear how exactly the illness is spreading among visitors, and clusters of illnesses have struck unconnected parts of the park. But the park service warns that the highly infectious virus can swiftly rip through river tours and campsites. It can spread from person to person directly, through contaminated food and water, or via contaminated surfaces. The park service advises visitors to wash their hands regularly and practice general cleanliness, avoid sharing food, stay home if they're feeling ill, and isolate people who develop illness during trips.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That might be the sign from the universe that it's time to submit my norovirus case study to a journal for review. I think it's been long enough that the details are considered open public records. :D

Regardless, that's an excellent article. Beth Mole is a hidden treasure.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

She was definitely having a lot of fun with it.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we're probably going to need a special thread:

The World Health Organization says "sustained transmission" of monkeypox worldwide could see the virus begin to move into high-risk groups, such as pregnant women, immunocompromised people and children.
Although maybe an infectious disease that causes highly visible (and painful) pustules to form on your skin will have a different trajectory than Covid-19.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

is it fomite-mitigation awareness again (this time for real)?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's hard to say. Unofficially people really still seem to believe it's a "gay disease" and not something the average person needs to worry about.

My understanding is that primary transmission (the one we're most worried about) happens skin to skin. Fomite transmission is possible, but I'm not sure that's where educational effort is being focused - unless you're targeting hospital workers that are potentially dealing with bedding or gowns. I'd hope (?) they're using universal precautions anyway so in theory that shouldn't be a risk.

I guess if someone randomly gets it at a hotel from sheets or a comforter that hasn't been cleaned that's going to kick off a whole thing. If you listen closely, you can almost hear hepcat curling into a ball. I guess I'm not as worried about fomite spread, though if I were going to a gym or was playing casual sports where skin-to-skin contact was possible, that would also be a potential concern.

I haven't seen any educational information (yet) in my state for summer camps, though I'm hoping they'll have something out soon.

I'm really not sure where this is all going, to be honest. 6 years ago, I would have been comfortable saying all kinds of things. Now? No idea.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I totally missed this from 2 days ago - Monkeypox found on George Washington campus:
George Washington University officials have confirmed the first case of the monkeypox virus on its Washington, D.C., campus.

In an email sent on Tuesday, university officials told the school community that the individual who tested positive for the virus has been isolated off campus, where they are receiving treatment from medical professionals.
Of note:
George Washington University officials advised its school community to avoid close contact with infected individuals and requested that students and health care workers start wearing N95 masks as well.

“You can prevent exposure by avoiding close contact with skin or clothing of an infected person and by wearing a mask,” the school said in its email.
Masks? Shouldn't we already be wearing masks because of Cov...oh, yeah, right.

But seriously if you want a situation where things can go from bad to worse quickly, let's talk about Monkeypox spreading on a college campus at the start of the Fall 2022 semester.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Switzerland just updated the risk for Monkeypox from low to moderate for the general population. I believe they are the first nation to do so. This is...concerning.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is technically not about an infectious disease, but this seems as good a place as any to talk about parasitic brain worms.

Florida once again has giant calamitous snails that spew parasitic brain worms
Officials in Florida are again battling a highly invasive, extraordinarily destructive giant snail species that also happens to be capable of spreading parasitic worms that invade human brains.

The giant African land snail (GALS)—aka Lissachatina fulica—can grow up to 20 centimeters (8 inches) long and is considered "one of the most invasive pests on the planet," according to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. It ravenously feasts on over 500 plant species—including many valuable fruits, vegetables, and ornamentals—while prolifically spawning, pushing out several thousand eggs in its multiyear life span.

In late June, Florida state officials confirmed the presence of GALS on a property in Pasco County, on the west-central coast of the state, just north of Tampa. They have since set up a quarantine zone around the property and began snail-killing pesticide treatments last week.

While the snails are a grave threat to agriculture and natural vegetation in the state, the invasive mollusks also pose a health risk. They're known to transmit rat lungworm parasites, which can invade the human central nervous system and cause a type of meningitis. For this reason, officials warn people not to handle the mammoth snails without gloves.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Evolution is fascinating:. And scary.

Mosquitoes sniff out hosts infected with certain viruses, researchers find

The smell is linked to high levels of a compound called acetophenone, described by the study authors as a “potent attractant” for mosquitoes. It’s made by a bacteria that grows on skin, but normally skin secretes a protein that restrains it. However, this study suggests Zika and dengue suppress the production of this critical protein, allowing the bacteria to grow faster and for more acetophenone to emerge.

This results in a scent that attracts mosquitoes and propels the cycle of infection forward. While people in tropical and subtropical areas — where these viruses thrive and are a leading public health concern — are likely to get bit by mosquitoes generally, this scent increases the odds that mosquitoes are biting infected individuals.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:14 pm This is technically not about an infectious disease, but this seems as good a place as any to talk about parasitic brain worms.

Florida once again has giant calamitous snails that spew parasitic brain worms
Officials in Florida are again battling a highly invasive, extraordinarily destructive giant snail species that also happens to be capable of spreading parasitic worms that invade human brains.

The giant African land snail (GALS)—aka Lissachatina fulica—can grow up to 20 centimeters (8 inches) long and is considered "one of the most invasive pests on the planet," according to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. It ravenously feasts on over 500 plant species—including many valuable fruits, vegetables, and ornamentals—while prolifically spawning, pushing out several thousand eggs in its multiyear life span.

In late June, Florida state officials confirmed the presence of GALS on a property in Pasco County, on the west-central coast of the state, just north of Tampa. They have since set up a quarantine zone around the property and began snail-killing pesticide treatments last week.

While the snails are a grave threat to agriculture and natural vegetation in the state, the invasive mollusks also pose a health risk. They're known to transmit rat lungworm parasites, which can invade the human central nervous system and cause a type of meningitis. For this reason, officials warn people not to handle the mammoth snails without gloves.
Still, good eat'n.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh...

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York health officials report polio case, the first one in U.S. in nearly a decade.
News article here:
ROCKLAND COUNTY, New York (WABC) -- The New York State and Rockland County departments of health confirmed a case of polio in the county Thursday, prompting officials to advise medical practitioners and healthcare providers to be vigilant for additional cases.

As the polio vaccine continues to be included on the CDC's standard child immunization schedule, those already vaccinated are considered to be at lower risk.

The polio vaccine is part of the required school immunization schedule for all children, and therefore school-age children are vaccinated before they start school.

However, individuals who are unvaccinated, including those who are pregnant, those who have not completed their polio vaccine series previously, or community members who are concerned they have might have been exposed, should get vaccinated by Rockland County.

Health officials announced they will be hosting local vaccine clinics or partnering health agencies and providers in the area.
More info:
In this case, sequencing performed by the Wadsworth Center and confirmed by the CDC showed revertant polio Sabin type 2 virus.

Experts say this is indicative of a transmission chain from an individual who received the oral polio vaccine (OPV), which is no longer authorized or administered in the U.S.

Only the inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) has been given in the U.S. since 2000.

Officials say this also suggests the virus may have originated in a location outside of the U.S.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:46 pm Uh...

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York health officials report polio case, the first one in U.S. in nearly a decade.
Deaths from.polio are rare, like 0.025%. Long Polio only occurs in about .5% of those infected. For everyone else it's like a bad flu. We already have a blueprint for how to ignore this.

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was shocked to read this today. Maybe I shouldn't be but it was so real to me back in the 50s after having got like three shots for it. I've also had a couple of good friends who had it and were living with the results.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

headline from today, surprising no one:

Monkeypox virus could become entrenched as new STD in the US
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been debating starting a new, dedicated thread on it; I get the impression people are just tired of hearing stuff. :)

The short of it is that because it can be spread by any type of skin-to-skin contact, it's not *technically* a sexually transmitted infection. In the same way you can get scabies if you have prolonged skin-to-skin contact that isn't sexual in nature.

The fact that it's currently spreading through MSM communities (primarily) now is incidental; there's nothing about MSM that specially only puts them at risk.

I also think we need more info and research on the viability of droplet spread - coughs and sneezes - which was reported in earlier studies but there seems to be some debate over right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:35 pm I've been debating starting a new, dedicated thread on it; I get the impression people are just tired of hearing stuff. :)
No, we're tired of there being stuff to hear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Then I have extra bad news about the inevitable. :(

2 children in the U.S. have tested positive for monkeypox, CDC says
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

They should start giving smallpox vaccine to babies again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I said it earlier, I was legitimately laughed at when I said we needed to be concerned about kids in school and then colleges. "It's a gay problem."

I'm not sure vaccinating kids is the best move. Instead, they need to be aggressively ring-vaccinating like they did for smallpox. We know this works. We know how to do this. The idea that we're going to potentially let monkey pox run roughshod over us because we are unwilling to do what's necessary is still blowing my mind.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are we sure that the children didn't get it through sexual transmission?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats a MSM community?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"