Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Alefroth »

Matthias don't surf. (and we think he should)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Inspiration and hope:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There was probably a time when Martin Luther thought he would be the most well known Martin Luther in history.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 am In the year of our Lord 2021, my Catholic high school still loves to hate the gays.
Benet Academy's administration has come under fire following its decision to rescind an employment offer to the new girls lacrosse coach after learning that she is gay.
Jesus wept.
They reversed their rescinded offer. Under a lot of eyes. I’ll be curious if she feels like taking the re-offer.
Coda: Benedictine monks cut ties with Benet Academy months after school hired coach in same-sex marriage

When I was in high school, the monastery was closely involved with the school. Several monks taught there.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Aniken is space Jesus? Jesus went on a rampage killing children when called to do so by the darkness and only rehabbed in death from the compassion of his son after his son turned away from the same darkness?

I thought Star Wars was a classical Greek hero story with sprinkles of old Norse and Asian culture stuffs retold in white hat black hat movie reel and then re-imagined as space opera. Wasn't Lucas openly a drooling Joseph Campbell fanboy?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am Aniken is space Jesus? Jesus went on a rampage killing children when called to do so by the darkness and only rehabbed in death from the compassion of his son after his son turned away from the same darkness?

I thought Star Wars was a classical Greek hero story with sprinkles of old Norse and Asian culture stuffs retold in white hat black hat movie reel and then re-imagined as space opera. Wasn't Lucas openly a drooling Joseph Campbell fanboy?
Maybe he's confusing Anakin and Luke? Anakin was a vengeful god who was successfully rebranded by his hippie son.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Uhh... I believe it's the whole immaculate conception thing. :ugeek:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dude believes midichlorians determine God.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Pyperkub wrote:Dude believes midichlorians determine God.
It's the galactic quadrinity the father, the twins, and midichlorighosts.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am Aniken is space Jesus?
Given that we're talking about the alt-right et al, Anakin as their Space Jesus is about right. It says as much about their idea of Christianity as their view of Star Wars.

I mean, they probably cheer for the Empire, not the Republic. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:33 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am Aniken is space Jesus?
Given that we're talking about the alt-right et al, Anakin as their Space Jesus is about right. It says as much about their idea of Christianity as their view of Star Wars.

I mean, they probably cheer for the Empire, not the Republic. :coffee:
Of course they do! The poor stormtroopers! White lives matter, amiright?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:33 pm I mean, they probably cheer for the Empire, not the Republic. :coffee:
When Star Wars was written the empire was inspired by the US so it all makes sense.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Please be a parody account please be a parody account

Same-sex sexual activity is wrong for the same reason throwing up a pizza after eating it is wrong: it's not what our bodies are made to do.
This is not a parody account. :?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Except our bodies were made to throw up pizza.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 pm Please be a parody account please be a parody account

[...]

This is not a parody account. :?
Spoiler: It is not a parody account.

tl;dr: Sex for pleasure is bulimia.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:25 pm tl;dr: Sex for pleasure is bulimia.
Masturbation is pranking pizza delivery to a fake address.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m going to need some more data on this. If it’s Domino’s, then of course you’re going to throw up after you eat some. Do I go to hell for that? If so, that’s a no win situation for everyone but Satan. So my suspicion is that Domino’s is a front for the Satanists.

However, if Catholics understand that Domino’s makes people vomit, did they build in an exemption to the rule that you go to hell if you can’t keep your pizza down? And if so, would homosexual sex have a similar loophole in their belief that okays it if it happens at a Domino’s?

Finally, what if someone tries to have sex with a pizza? Would you immediately go to hell? Or do Catholics believe dough based coitus is fine?

These are things that will keep me awake now. :(
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Religion Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Not all Catholic teaching is so absurd. Pope Paul VI embraced a minority view of 4 members out of the majority of the 64 members of the Pontifical Commission on Birth Control.

By that tweet’s logic, we shouldn’t wear eyeglasses. Or treat cancer.

And if God created gay people and animals, gay sex IS natural. Like pineapple pizza, it may not be to your taste.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What is it with these people.and pizza?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, the Catholic Church has made it very clear over the last 100 years or so that the Pizza Christ is coming. It’s why they switched to pepperoni for the body of Christ during Eucharist.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 pm What is it with these people.and pizza?
I was getting ready to write up a whole thing about how Chicago-style pizza must be butt-stuff, but I was afraid people would take it seriously.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So, Pizza Dog from Hawkeye /Kate Bishop is The Second Coming?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Calzones are obviously superior for sexual activity.

And I look forward to seeing the coming of Cheesus Crust.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am Aniken is space Jesus? Jesus went on a rampage killing children when called to do so by the darkness and only rehabbed in death from the compassion of his son after his son turned away from the same darkness?

I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell?

Just in case you missed it:

Chancery Court in Davidson County, Tennessee, has ruled that taxpayer funded establishments can place signs that say "No Jews Allowed" ... as long as there is at least one establishment where services for Jews are provided.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(Almost) Unbelievable.
Wtf.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just....I.... :doh:

p.s. are we sure this is legit?
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So I’m reading that they claim they were denied because they were trying to foster an out of state child , and the state only helps train good foster parents of in state children.

Fucking load of crap, if you ask me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:10 pm p.s. are we sure this is legit?
Article about the appeal in the in the Times of Israel:
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) — A panel of Tennessee judges has dismissed a lawsuit filed by a couple who alleged that a state-sponsored Christian adoption agency refused to help them because they are Jewish.

The lawsuit against the state challenged a 2020 law that installed legal protections for private adoption agencies to reject state-funded placement of children to parents based on religious beliefs.

Much of the criticism of the law had focused on how it allowed adoption agencies to discriminate against LGBTQ people. But Elizabeth and Gabriel Rutan-Ram sued over claims that they were discriminated against because they were Jewish, in violation of their state constitutional rights.

The panel made its 2-1 decision last week to dismiss based on other grounds and did not directly rule on the law’s constitutionality.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So the Twitter headline is fairly inaccurate.
The majority concluded that the couple's legal claims were moot, as they were able to complete the programs and receive certification through DCS months after being rejected by Holston.

"Because the Couple has received the very services they claim they were previously denied, the Panel Majority adopts the Defendants' analysis and concludes that any issue related to denial of services is not capable of the prospective relief the Plaintiffs seek and is now moot," read the panel majority opinion.

The majority ruled that the couple's complaint about the Holston Home for Children was inapplicable because they originally planned to foster a child in Florida, while Holston only handles in-state arrangements.

"The contract the Department has with Holston … provides funds only for services for children' in the custody of the State of Tennessee.' Thus the services the Couple sought from Holston are not funded by the Department and therefore lack a causal connection to the alleged injury," continued the majority.

The panel majority also ruled that "the Plaintiffs have not shown that the Defendants would not contract with a Jewish agency similarly situated to Holston; therefore the Act does not single out people of the Jewish faith as a disfavored, innately inferior group."

Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle offered a partial dissent to the panel opinion's claim that the couple lacked "constitutional standing."

"The foregoing law makes clear that the allegations in the Amended Complaint, such as the barriers the Couple faces now as foster parents and continue to face in obtaining the efficiencies and other benefits and advantages of working with private agencies, are sufficient to establish standing," reads the dissent.
It's not great but it's a far cry from "No Jews Allowed" signs. Right now.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

They sidestepped the question while winking. They said they didn't need to decide anything because the question was moot. The couple got the training from the state that was denied by the private org. The court therefore didn't need to order Holston to do it.

But they didn't stop there, they also laid out an interpretation that the law doesn't explicitly outlaw discrimination against anyone for this purpose. One could read into it that they are saying the private organization is free to discriminate within that envelope. That's the game now. They won't stop discrimination. That'd be trampling on someone else's free association/religious rights. At least that's how I read it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:47 pm So the Twitter headline is fairly inaccurate.
The majority concluded that the couple's legal claims were moot, as they were able to complete the programs and receive certification through DCS months after being rejected by Holston.

"Because the Couple has received the very services they claim they were previously denied, the Panel Majority adopts the Defendants' analysis and concludes that any issue related to denial of services is not capable of the prospective relief the Plaintiffs seek and is now moot," read the panel majority opinion.

The majority ruled that the couple's complaint about the Holston Home for Children was inapplicable because they originally planned to foster a child in Florida, while Holston only handles in-state arrangements.

"The contract the Department has with Holston … provides funds only for services for children' in the custody of the State of Tennessee.' Thus the services the Couple sought from Holston are not funded by the Department and therefore lack a causal connection to the alleged injury," continued the majority.

The panel majority also ruled that "the Plaintiffs have not shown that the Defendants would not contract with a Jewish agency similarly situated to Holston; therefore the Act does not single out people of the Jewish faith as a disfavored, innately inferior group."

Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle offered a partial dissent to the panel opinion's claim that the couple lacked "constitutional standing."

"The foregoing law makes clear that the allegations in the Amended Complaint, such as the barriers the Couple faces now as foster parents and continue to face in obtaining the efficiencies and other benefits and advantages of working with private agencies, are sufficient to establish standing," reads the dissent.
It's not great but it's a far cry from "No Jews Allowed" signs. Right now.
I don't think it's inaccurate. The 'No Jews Allowed' sign is metaphorically at Holston. The court posited the Plaintiffs could have gone to a Jewish based group and got the training/support. There is no mention if that option truly exists or not. And they dismissed it in part because the non-secular state agency provided the training. At least that's how I read it.

Edited: The partial dissent also argued that Holston is discriminating against them because they are Jewish. That until recently was unthinkable on its head when using state funds. The majority seems to walk right by it. The fact remains that Holston still receives state funds for in-person fostering which sure sounds like it makes this a 1st amendment issue at least. It does seem to imply a separate by (un)equal standard is being allowed here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Muslim children in the US pledging themselves as martyrs for Iran:

Thus is insane.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote:Muslim children in the US pledging themselves as martyrs for Iran:

Thus is insane.
And also hads a bit more nuance than the tweet indicates per the actual Houston Chronicle :

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 339407.php

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

The linked article on the New Apostolic Reformation is worth reading.

Looking closely at the Christian Right in the 21st century means grappling with a bewildering variety of terms and distinctions (e.g. charismatics, Seven Mountains, spiritual warfare, the 4th [or 5th] Great Awakening, etc), but the unifying thread is a radicalized commitment to Dominionism, the ideology that explicitly seeks to replace pluralist democracy with theocratic rule by Christian elites. And these ideas are present not only on Gab or in QAnon sites but (sometimes) in the church down your street.

When GOP firebrands like MTG or Matt Gaetz start talking about "Christian nationalism," that's where they're heading. It's basically Atwood's Gilead.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read that earlier. It's a good read. It essentially is confirming what many of us have been saying for years but were told was crazy or out of bounds Christian bashing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Yeshiva University says it's pausing all student clubs on campus just days after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to block a lower court ruling that ordered the school to recognize an LGBTQ group.

In an unsigned email to students, the New York City school said that, considering upcoming Jewish holidays, "the university will hold off on all undergraduate club activities while it immediately takes steps to follow the roadmap provided by the US Supreme Court to protect YU's religious freedom. Warm wishes for a Shannah Tovah."