Top Gun 2 coming?..It is! 2020

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Top Gun 2 coming?..It is! 2020

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Seems like standing outside officers' clubs selling challenge coins would be good business for the base ragamuffin.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Challenges weren't that common. It was just that junior officers couldn't afford to be left holding the bag. It was actually more common for a commander to buy the club a round.

Junior officers usually only had to worry about buying the winning team a round when they lost at Crud.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was reading that the children of the original author of the article that inspired the original Top Gun got the rights of the article back and is now SUING Paramount for copyright violation and creating unlicensed derivative works, such as Top Gun Maverick.

At first I thought they don't have a leg to stand on.

Now, that I've read it, feels more like they may have a chicken leg to stand on, but only shakily. While Paramount lawyers did license that article, the author of that creative-non-fiction piece was not involved in the original Top Gun. Indeed, the original movie did not even give him "based on" credit, IIRC. However, their claim is Both Top Gun movies are derivatives of the original article and as they had served the termination notice on Paramount back in 2018, and got it back in early 2020, and Paramount did not relicense, but made Maverick anyway.

On the other hand, most copyright lawyers think it's mostly posturing, as you can't copyright "ideas", and the article is at best, a high concept that got made into a movie, but you can't copyright an idea, and Paramount will likely pay those folks some money to go away. Which was why the lawsuit was filed in the first place.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:28 pm However, their claim is Both Top Gun movies are derivatives of the original article and as they had served the termination notice on Paramount back in 2018, and got it back in early 2020, and Paramount did not relicense, but made Maverick anyway.
I’m fairly certain it was already done by 2020. It’s been sitting on a shelf since then due to Covid issues.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

An article I'd read said they had the license up until 2020, but because of their decision to delay the release, the license had then lapsed which they didn't renew. But because they'd already had it finished back when it was still active, I think the fact that they've just released it now shouldn't factor in. They could also argue that Top Gun as a franchise by now is its own thing.

Saw it again yesterday, and I hardly ever go see movies in the theatres twice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:28 pm However, their claim is Both Top Gun movies are derivatives of the original article and as they had served the termination notice on Paramount back in 2018, and got it back in early 2020, and Paramount did not relicense, but made Maverick anyway.
I’m fairly certain it was already done by 2020. It’s been sitting on a shelf since then due to Covid issues.
If only there were some history on the board of previous discussions where we could check the development history.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Issie bot is stuck in smart ass mode yet again. Can I get an admin to reboot this thing before it starts posting ORLY memes on a loop or something?
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm
...and other issues :wink:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know this won’t end well…but what other issues? Covid shut down theaters, Cruise didn’t want to stream this. So he waited to release it until theaters reopened. At least that’s what I’ve read.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:56 pm I know this won’t end well…but what other issues? Covid shut down theaters, Cruise didn’t want to stream this. So he waited to release it until theaters reopened. At least that’s what I’ve read.
elections :mrgreen:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What elections? The Russian elections? The Venezuelan elections? I don’t think Cruise cared about the elections in those countries. I mean, what could that possibly matter to him?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus, how did I actually understand that? My hatred of that over used plot twist in movies and tv shows has made me susceptible to even the most obscure reference to it.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So did, I, once I figured out what a 'bullcarence' was.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:mrgreen:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally got a date night chance to see this, and figured I'd better go while I could still see it on the big screen in IMAX. Sooo glad I did. For my money, it's a damn near perfect sequel.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Waited too late to see it in local IMAX, and the nearest ‘real’ IMAX theater is about 1:45 drive away (which would have totally been worth to see this IMO).

Still great on a regular movie screen, but I can only imagine being able to look up and behind you in some of those flying screens on the big boy IMAX.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I spent my last $7 and went to see it. I loved it! Hit all the right original Top Gun bases for me. My wife would have loved it too. She was a big Goose fan.Movie was talked about so long ago we had planned to see it together. I couldn't let it leave theaters without seeing it. I dont have her to talk about it though lol. Or any movie like we always did. But Im glad I saw it...great movie. So much reminded me of the original which Im sure they went for. Also Miles Teller who plays Goose's son was spot on and very believable.
Spoiler:
I knew Ice was in it but damn how it played out surprised the shit out of me.
Anyone with me when I say Bob is almost my favorite character? :) I didn't know he was Bill's son.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's included with Amazon Prime now. The plot was ludicrous, but it was well executed. However, as long as they were going into fantasy land, I was hoping they would:
Spoiler:
have Maverick fly the Mach 10 to create a distraction for the mission.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It was fun but not something I want to see a second time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Formix

Post by Formix »

Let's take the original, mix in a star war, and am ambiguously asian enemy aaaaand profit! I found it entertaining in a comfortable fomulaic way. Nice to see an actress who actually ages semi-normally, and Tom Cruise, who apparently lives in a hyperbaric chamber between movies.