It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 pm I will say this: The events of Crisis resulted in changes to the universe itself. I don't remember how deeply those changes impacted this particular show, but some shows changed completely. I'll give the basic gist if you really want to skip Crisis:
Spoiler:
Kate became the there were infinite worlds, some of which represented different shows. Black Lightning, Supergirl, and Arrow/Flash/Batwoman/Legend were each on separate worlds (they also showed Batman '66 (sort of), Batman '89, Titans, Stargirl, and others.) After the events of the Crisis, those worlds were collapsed and a new multiverse was created (sort of, they're kind of vague there.) The point being that multiple alternate universes were merged, meaning that some characters might actually be a different universe's version of that character, or characters that died might be back with differences, or characters that were alive might be dead, or characters might have different memories.
So I did skip to the post-crossover episode and I am pretty sure something we see there is a consequence of the events in your spoiler. It didn't even occur to me until I read your spoiler.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I’m not a fan of CW superhero shows in general, I’m still digging Stargirl season 2. Mostly because they’re doing The Shade almost perfectly. Plus, they’re going with The Shade from the fantastic Jack Knight Starman years.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had something really weird happen to me the other day. I got a package from Amazon addressed to me, though I had not ordered anything. Open it up, and it's the INJUSTICE: Gods Among Us Volume 1 Omnibus in hardback which is an almost $70 book. There was no gift receipt, no message, no return address, nothing. And no, I double checked to make sure it wasn't some accidental click because it's not in my order history.

Whoever sent this would have to know I'm a fan of DC comics and video games. And this item was not on any wish lists (I didn't even know it existed). I asked all my friends who would possibly know me that well, and nobody would own up to sending it. What's even weirder is that it was shipped to my new address, which most people wouldn't even know yet without asking me. My wife was just as mystified as I was.

I kept it because it was addressed to me, but I felt really bad that I couldn't thank whoever sent it because it's an incredibly awesome book and easily the nicest bound comic collection I own now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even I have my limits. I haven't kept up with any of the older CW DC shows this year.

I haven't even touched this year's Supergirl or Legends. I'm way behind on The Flash and Batwoman. Superman and Lois I've kept current on (and have really enjoyed), but the others have just lost so much of their magic. It's still great to see my favorite characters in live action. If I love a genre I'm very forgiving when it comes to what's done with it (the fantasy of the setting is just as important to me as the technical or literary quality.) But that only goes so far to compensate for bad storytelling and the heavy-handed approach to social commentary. Plus, the CW has a pattern - they give a show a huge budget, get a big following, and then cut the budget every year. It's a big part of why they go from epic superhero adventures to melodrama back at base - they can't afford the effects for the action shots anymore. The Flash runs for one or two minutes per episode. Legends went from The Atom shrinking and Firestorm flaming to being an office comedy with occasional fight sequences.

I still want to see what's happening with the shows, and would like to be current if there are future crossovers with the new series, but my heart just isn't in it.
hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:36 pm While I’m not a fan of CW superhero shows in general, I’m still digging Stargirl season 2. Mostly because they’re doing The Shade almost perfectly. Plus, they’re going with The Shade from the fantastic Jack Knight Starman years.
I haven't gotten around to starting it yet. I really liked season one.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those that didn't catch it in the Movie Trailers thread, there was a new multi-film trailer released that shows some really great character concepts for the first time.

In related news, due to some photos/video taken on the set of the upcoming Batgirl there's a strong hint as to how they're handling Batman for the future of the DCEU, and it's kind of surprising and unexpected solution to repairing the Snyder mess.
Spoiler:
He's being introduced in the apparently Flashpoint-influenced Flash film, and it looks like Michael Keaton's Batman is going to be here to stay.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if that means we're getting a live action
Spoiler:
Batman Beyond
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

More Amber Heard... yaaaaayyyyy
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

F her.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm looking forward to the JSA showing up in Black Adam.

The rest of the DC movies, I could take 'em or leave 'em.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:43 pm I wonder if that means we're getting a live action
Spoiler:
Batman Beyond
I must admit that the thought occurred to me. Although for it to really be BB, they'd have to have it be standalone rather than DCEU (due to the setting.)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

The only CW show I still like is Superman and Lois. I find the entire cast very likable so I don't even care if there is a lot of action or who the big bad of the week is.

The thing that drives me nuts though is they still won't explicitly say whether they are part of the same universe and/or timeline, which makes some of the plotlines very frustrating. They've teased us with some appearances, but nothing definitive and they've never once mentioned Kara/Supergirl. If she existed in this show it makes zero sense that she would have no part of her cousins' lives. Oh well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still watch the Arrowverse shows intermittently. I'm still catching up on last season.

I find that they've become a sort of comfort food that I know I shouldn't be consuming... but do anyway. None of the older ones are what they once were, and three of the seven (total) have come to an end. COVID, I think, spelled the beginning of the end for the universe. Of course, they just recently announced a new show featuring John Diggle. No, it doesn't involve a certain ring, and his costume isn't animated (as far as I know.) It'll be based in a college where Diggle is leading a team of undercover meta younglings busting who-knows-what. The premise sounds... I dunno. We'll see.

I have yet to check out Naomi (and know zero about the character), but Stargirl was lots of fun this season.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DC comes through.

While we may never see Paste Pot Pete from those snobs at Marvel, we have had Polka Dot Man and Arm Fall Off Boy in live action in the past year. And now, HBO and DC are giving us a live-action Wonder Twins film. I wonder if they can get Andy Serkis to play Gleek?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gunn has given me hope that we'll eventually see a Bat Mite appearance, a Legion of Superheroes show (his call out to Matter Eater Lad), and possibly an Ambush Bug series (that latter is purely my wishful thinking).
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It seems that Warner Bros-Discovery isn't happy with how things have been going. The Wonder Twins HBO series was reportedly cancelled, plus Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow were both cancelled - all within the past few days. Admittedly, the Arrowverse had reached its end-of-life point. Even I haven't been able to watch some of the more recent stuff. Currently, only The Flash and Superman & Lois are left, and Flash is on shaky ground, with a number of major cast members leaving.

As to The Wonder Twins - I'm not sure how that could have gone. The characters really didn't lend themselves to anything but farce, although given how Peacemaker and Doom Patrol were done, I was curious to see what they did.

Other non-Arrowverse DC shows are still still fine, or haven't had an announcement (Stargirl, Doom Patrol, Titans, Peacemaker, Harley Quinn), likewise with non-core-universe DC stuff (Naomi, Sweet Tooth, DMZ.)

Personally, I've been thinking that it might be time for a re-watch of the animated universe (Batman TAS, Superman TAS, the two Justice League series, Batman Beyond) And maybe I'll check out some of the peripheral stuff that's technically in-universe this time (Static Shock, the Zeta Project.)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I thought they already announced that next season for the Flash would be the last.

Also, Titans is definitely not fine. They may not be cancelled. I have no idea, but that last season was a train wreck. It's too bad since they actually had a good story arc. It's too bad they couldn't write an episode, or dialog, or relationships or character development.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Fine" as in "not canceled."

Yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:06 am Personally, I've been thinking that it might be time for a re-watch of the animated universe (Batman TAS, Superman TAS, the two Justice League series, Batman Beyond) And maybe I'll check out some of the peripheral stuff that's technically in-universe this time (Static Shock, the Zeta Project.)
I’m assuming you’ve watched Young Justice? That is, hands down, some of the best stuff I’ve ever seen in the genre.

As an aside, they just announced a Kite Man spin-off animated show to accompany Harley Quinn.

He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep! A couple of times.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The whole Dr. Fate/Zatana arc this season was by far my favorite. :wub:

I do wish they'd have a Swamp Thing appearance though.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some set photos from the upcoming Blue Beetle film. They really seem to be making an effort to go comics-accurate. It looks a little odd sans-cinematography, but it's the right look, and I think that Xolo Mariduena (of Cobra Kai fame) was a brilliant casting choice as Jaime Reyes.
Spoiler:

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just started a project to watch all the DC Animated Original feature films, starting with 2007's Superman: Doomsday. I'm not sure why, as a DC fan, I never watched but a couple of these, but I think it's going to be fun making up for lost time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You are in for what is hands down the BEST DC stuff ever made. Even the worst of the lot is usually better than anything they've done live action.

Standouts are:

Justice League: New Frontier (coming up next on your list)
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
All-Star Superman
Superman vs. the Elite
The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 and 2 (a great adaptation of the Frank Miller classic)
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (just mind blowing at times...the reveal for who The Joker is in that world made me yell out loud in surprise)
Son of Batman
Batman: Assault on Arkham (why they just didn't use this excellent story for the live action first film is beyond me)
Justice League Dark (I'm a sucker for anything with Swamp Thing)
Constantine: City of Demons
Justice Society: World War 2
Batman: The Long Halloween parts 1 and 2
Injustice

But almost all of them will be great. The DC Showcase movies are collections of 10 to 15 minute shorts. They do one for The Spectre that was just fantastic. I think it's on the Superman/Shazam Showcase.

And don't forget to watch the insanely good Young Justice while you're at it. That's even better than the animated movies at time.

I'm assuming you've watched the Justice League animated series, so I won't bring that up. But if you haven't, start there.

Sorry to get so long winded, but I've been preaching the greatness of their animated division ever since the day Bruce Timm stepped in and helped create Batman: The Animated Series. Why they never took the writing teams from the animated series and let them jump start their live action attempts is a mystery to me.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 26, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Sorry to get so long winded, but I've been preaching the greatness of their animated division ever since the day Bruce Timm stepped in and helped create Batman: The Animated Series. Why they never took the writing teams from the animated series and let them jump start their live action attempts is a mystery to me.
No need to apologize, I appreciate the feedback. Again I'm not quite sure why it's taken me so long to discover the animated side of DC, but I think it's partially due to me not realizing these were geared towards adults. In my mind I guess I always kind of inferred that the cartoons = kid stuff.

The other factor was probably just availability - I honestly had no clue there were that many until I was browsing through HBO Max yesterday. :shock:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

While Marvel has absolutely dominated film (and generally, TV live action), DC has dominated animation for decades. I've just recently begun rewatching the DCAU (the animated universe), starting with Batman: The Animated Series.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nothing to see here. Go to the Black Adam thread.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll watch anything if it has Doctor Fate.

Also, as Issie points out elsewhere, we do have a Black Adam thread. :wink:
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I am NOT making light of any accusations of spousal abuse between Depp and Heard (from either side) as it is a serious thing (although I believe they both were horrible to each other/for each other). However, a world in which Bruce Campbell replaces Amber Heard in Aquaman 2 wouldn't be so bad, would it?

edit: follow up

He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just rewatched JL vs The Fatal Five. One of my favorites.

And Batman vs. Harley Quinn is…well, I wasn’t a fan of the major plot. But the stuff with Harley and Nightwing is great, and I loved the roadside villain bar, with voice actor Rob Paulson singing an amazing duet with himself.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but Talkville has started.
Talkville wrote:The ultimate Smallville rewatch podcast.
Join costars Tom Welling (Clark Kent) and Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) as they take you behind the scenes of one of the greatest shows of all time, Smallville.
Assuming they gather enough support, they plan to go through the entire series episode by episode.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, The Flash was cancelled today, taking effect after next season. That is officially the final Arrowverse show. I haven't kept up with any of them in a while, but that's still kind of sad. They drew a lot of fans into the world before they started getting too CW.

And there goes any hope of following up on that Hall of Justice Gleek cameo!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Batgirl getting shelved permanently

Apparently it's unworkable despite reshoots and they chose not to release it altogether. Apparently Discovery is searching for their version of MCU's Kevin Feige to retool the DCEU on the back of the lackluster results Warner has been delivering.
Warner Bros. Discovery will not release “Batgirl,” either theatrically or on HBO MAX, TheWrap has learned. The $90 million project is effectively dead.

Made under a previous regime, “Batgirl” was initially designed to be an HBO Max release, and then was being considered for theatrical distribution. Due to COVID issues and shutdowns, the budget ballooned to $90 million.

The movie stars “In the Heights” breakout star Leslie Grace in the title role of Barbara Gordon.

The leaders of the studio determined ultimately, in spite of reshoots and increased budget, that the movie simply did not work, according to insiders. The new owners and management, led by CEO David Zaslav, are committed to making DC titles big theatrical event films, and “Batgirl” isn’t that. Insiders added that studio brass loves the film’s directors and star, and are actively planning to work with them soon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Batgirl never really had the pathos, the action, the sheer grandeur of something like…I don’t….maybe…a Paste Pot Pete?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And life keeps getting complicated for DC. Remember how they're using Ezra Miller's Flash to reboot the universe?

Actor Ezra Miller charged with burglary
Miller is separately facing charges of assault in Hawaii and allegations of abuse from several women.

"As a result of an investigation that included surveillance videos and statements, probable cause was found to charge Ezra M Miller with the offence of felony burglary into an unoccupied dwelling," police said in a statement on Monday."

The alleged burglary is the latest in a string of incidents involving the 29-year-old actor.

In April, Hawaii police arrested Miller for allegedly throwing a chair, which then hit a 26-year-old woman on the forehead.

Just two weeks earlier, Miller was charged with harassment and disorderly conduct at a karaoke bar in Hawaii.

According to police, the actor grabbed a microphone from a woman singing and lunged at a man playing darts after becoming aggravated by a rendition of Shallow from the film A Star Is Born.
Well, it was mediocre while it lasted.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and it makes their cancellation of Batgirl seem even more ill advised.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 am ...and it makes their cancellation of Batgirl seem even more ill advised.
Execs being execs they will quickly claim the opposite. This proves we needs a hard reboot!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 pm Batgirl never really had the pathos, the action, the sheer grandeur of something like…I don’t….maybe…a Paste Pot Pete?
Maybe you could buy the film footage on the cheap and splice it into a Paste Pot Pete vs. Batgirl film?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I buy ANY film footage to use with my magnum (d)opus, it will be Rat Pfink a Boo Boo*

*I'm contractually obligated to remind everyone Rat Pfink a Boo Boo exists every so often.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The big rumor right now is that both Titans and Doom Patrol are getting chopped. That'd be a damn shame. Discovery would be flushing a lot of good will for their rebrand with that move.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hey, we'll still have such hard hitting science documentaries as ALASKAN KILLER BIGFOOT and JACK OSBOURNE'S NIGHT OF TERROR: UFOS. Thanks Discovery!